Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 20 Feb 2005, 05:02 (Ref:1230518)   #1
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AVESCO 2005 Season Launch Announcement....................

http://www.v8supercar.com.au/news/la...nd=M&gid=14708

Diesel Fuels 2005 V8 Supercar Championship Series

Release Date: 19/02/2005
The V8 Supercar Championship Series has unveiled a bold new look, 2005 theme song and strategic marketing campaign to take the country’s fastest growing spectator sport to a new level and further implant itself in the Australian sporting market place.

Renowned Aussie rocker Diesel headlines the campaign with his remix of the 1964 Ray Davies hit song “You Really Got Me” by The Kinks, on which the 2005 advertising campaign will be based. The marketing and advertising push is being developed and managed by the AVESCO Marketing Department.

The people of Sydney voted with their feet when a crowd of more than 10,000 turned out for a two-hour public open day at Sydney Olympic Park to get a glimpse of the 2005 drivers, teams, transporters and race cars that the Series provided absolutely free of charge.

“The V8 Supercar Championship Series has grown so substantially in the last eight years that it is time to seriously lay down a challenge to sports that might be considered more ‘mainstream’,” AVESCO Chairman Tony Cochrane said at the Sydney launch.

“We know our numbers are the envy of many sports in this country. We put 1.6 million people through the gates in 13 rounds in 2004, our television audience crossed 70 countries and 600 million homes, we are Australia’s only truly national spectator sport and we command live prime time television.

“It is time for us to step up to the plate and get out there. We believe we deserve a lot more recognition, particularly by the media, than we currently receive given the numbers that we are posting year, after year, after year.

“To that end the AVESCO Marketing Department headed by Manager Tracey Benton has been given a substantial increase in funding by our board to take our sport further to the people.”

Mr Cochrane foreshadowed another major announcement that will be made prior to the Clipsal 500 that opens the series in Adelaide next month.

“Suffice to say we have courted some of Australia and the world’s major financial groups to come together and present the series with a product that will service Motorsport fans and all Australians,” Mr Cochrane said.

“This will be one of the most significant announcements in the history of V8 Supercars.”

Bringing the country’s most accessible sport to the people was the theme “You Really Got Me”. The theme supports research that the largest new demographic entering the V8 Supercar audience are families and young females. This is has also prompted companies such as BigPond to support the series.

The theme of bringing the game to the people was supported at the launch when virtually the entire field assembled and threw open the gates to the public of Sydney free of charge. The Telstra Stadium forecourt was full of 17 massive transporters, race cars, Championship drivers and activities.

In 2005 the championship welcomes new sponsors Xbox, Snickers, Sidchrome and Yamaha.

Chrysler has also returned to Australian Motorsport by providing the 250kW HEMI-powered V8 Chrysler 300C as the official vehicle of the Wright Patton Shakespeare Safety Car Program.

The most notable rule changes include the restructuring of the points system that will allow teams and drivers to drop their worst round up until and including Round 10 at Bathurst. The results of the final three rounds will all count towards the Championship.

“This is designed to allow teams who have had a poor round prior to and including Bathurst to still have the chance to be involved in a contest to close the season,” AVESCO Chief Executive Officer Wayne Cattach explained.

“As we saw last year there were numerous instances of teams that may have had their Championship hopes compromised by factors beyond their control and this allows them to at least recover from one of these instances.

“The best teams will not be compromised. If you applied the theory to last year the Championship victors would still have been Stone Brothers Racing and Marcos Ambrose.”

There will be no “roll around” warm-up in 2005, this being replaced by only a single warm-up lap. The cars will enter the track in garage order and proceed directly to the grid for the start of each race.

Similarly there will be only a 15 minute window between qualifying and the Top 10 Shootout meaning teams will not be able to make major modifications to their cars in this time. This is designed to make it fairer and reward all teams that have made the Top 10 Shootout.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 20 Feb 2005, 05:36 (Ref:1230524)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Did you notice not one single mention of CUB as major platform sponsor... and almost a throwaway mention of BigPond??
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 20 Feb 2005, 06:05 (Ref:1230526)   #3
The Hrt Kid
Racer

The Hrt Kid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
whats this new song like? i hope its not like the heartbeat of the nation song.
Old 20 Feb 2005, 06:29 (Ref:1230533)   #4
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's a fantastic press release, but it poses a few questions:

Does the significant increase to the AVESCO marketing department's budget hurt teams at all?

Will any benefit/gain from the increased funding to the AVESCO marketing department's budget result in a gain significant enough to return franchise incomes to the glory days of 1999?

Does AVESCO poach sponsors off teams, or is this series involvement an extension of the sponsor's involvement with a team? An example with VIP Pet Foods leaving Paragon Motorsport and becoming a round sponsor; and now Snickers and XBox who were part of the HRT sponsor family and are now series sponsors - although this is probably a bad example as I can understand the issue for a sponsor getting lost in the HRT sponsor family clutter.

Will we soon see a V8 Supercar credit card? It'd be a clever idea that Mike Pero successfully implemented in the NZ V8 Touring Car category in conjunction with Diner's Club.

Other than that, I reckon it's probably a move in the right direction. With Diesel doing a Kinks song, at least it's sticking to a rock theme, which is probably demographically correct, but will it help when the largest growth of new spectators is coming from families and young females?
Old 20 Feb 2005, 06:49 (Ref:1230537)   #5
Spunky
Racer

Spunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It!
Does AVESCO poach sponsors off teams,
Old 20 Feb 2005, 06:56 (Ref:1230541)   #6
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Will we soon see a V8 Supercar credit card? It'd be a clever idea that Mike Pero successfully implemented in the NZ V8 Touring Car category in conjunction with Diner's Club.
WilliamsF1 and Jordan Grand Prix have had a cobranded credit card with MBNA for at least the last 5 years (probably more like 10 but memory dims as time passes)

Having spoken to someone who knows about such things... cobranded cards need revolving credit balances to make them pay... a good credit profile without a huge level of default... with at least 20,000 customers to just cover the costs of the credit provider....

Maybe they will get the same dudes who count the spectators to promise the number of card holders?

Presuming thats what all this is about?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 20 Feb 2005, 07:01 (Ref:1230543)   #7
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe like F1, Aussie bernie is going to sell the V8 Supercars to the banks ?
Old 20 Feb 2005, 07:11 (Ref:1230546)   #8
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
WilliamsF1 and Jordan Grand Prix have had a cobranded credit card with MBNA for at least the last 5 years (probably more like 10 but memory dims as time passes)
And they say that copious amounts of Diet Coke don't affect your long-term memory

Having a Series credit card isn't a dumb idea at all. It should fly!
Old 20 Feb 2005, 07:12 (Ref:1230548)   #9
Just Do It!
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhill9884
Maybe like F1, Aussie bernie is going to sell the V8 Supercars to the banks ?
Can't see that happening, not before world domination anyway
Old 20 Feb 2005, 07:16 (Ref:1230549)   #10
rpmsd
Rookie

rpmsd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did anybody here about the release outside of Sydney. I didn't hear any news in Melbourne, not on the Saturday prime news, nor the Sunday papers. Its got me beat why the hell they can't promote the series in conjunction with the Australian Motorsport Show in Melbourne, attracting a larger crowd for the little guys & helping the fans get a better understanding of what we racers are all about.
Old 20 Feb 2005, 07:18 (Ref:1230550)   #11
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TC is only a small fish in a very big sea. He can't even get the Australian media on side. He has no chance of being a world wide big wig.
Old 20 Feb 2005, 07:32 (Ref:1230553)   #12
Just Do It!
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete55
TC is only a small fish in a very big sea. He can't even get the Australian media on side. He has no chance of being a world wide big wig.
Just out of curiousity, Pete, would it be too rude to ask why you are always reasonably negative about anything that happens with AVESCO, TEGA, or V8 Supercars? It seems most odd, but I am sure you have a good explanation.
Old 20 Feb 2005, 08:00 (Ref:1230565)   #13
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
When will us the public wake up to Aussie Bernie as he could not give a flying F*** about us the paying public.

WAKE UP AUSTRALIA
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 20 Feb 2005, 08:31 (Ref:1230570)   #14
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmsd
Did anybody here about the release outside of Sydney. I didn't hear any news in Melbourne, not on the Saturday prime news, nor the Sunday papers. Its got me beat why the hell they can't promote the series in conjunction with the Australian Motorsport Show in Melbourne, attracting a larger crowd for the little guys & helping the fans get a better understanding of what we racers are all about.

it was on channel 10 news as well as sports tonight in vic, but that would be the extent, nothing in the papers
Old 20 Feb 2005, 08:35 (Ref:1230573)   #15
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One from left field....WPS to be the series sponsor.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 20 Feb 2005, 09:07 (Ref:1230582)   #16
pete55
Veteran

Quote:
Just out of curiousity, Pete, would it be too rude to ask why you are always reasonably negative about anything that happens with AVESCO, TEGA, or V8 Supercars? It seems most odd, but I am sure you have a good explanation.
Because TC speaks with forked tongue. Have a look at the figures that he quotes or gets his representatives to quote about crowd figures and televison viewer figures. Then he implies that he is the reason why V8 Supercars are where they are today because of him.
People should realise that he is only doing it for the money and it is our ( yours and mine ) that he uses to do everything that he does. He is paid handsomely for his work, if it is his work. I'm no genius but i could do the same thing he has done and so could thousands of others and you would hardly know i was there. It is not rocket science but TC would have you believe that. I have promoted events before and it is not hard work. It just has to be done in the right way, and it takes a bit of time.
Then there is the media. This is an area that i have been involved in and i have never found it hard to get other forms of media other than that i worked in, involved in any event i did. Why is TC having so much difficulty in what he says is the fastest growing and the only national sport in Australia. I have my thoughts, maybe you have some different ones.
That's what i think.
Old 20 Feb 2005, 22:19 (Ref:1230955)   #17
ADZ351
Rookie

ADZ351 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I say good on TC, look where the series started compared to where it is now. Also dont you think he should be allowed to make money like any other business man or CEO? Its a company, and he and the shareholders all want/deserve a return. I bet his shareholders (the team owners) are very happy with what has been produced.
Old 21 Feb 2005, 00:56 (Ref:1231020)   #18
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADZ351
I say good on TC, look where the series started compared to where it is now. Also dont you think he should be allowed to make money like any other business man or CEO? Its a company, and he and the shareholders all want/deserve a return. I bet his shareholders (the team owners) are very happy with what has been produced.
But should he be aloud to achieve that by promoting false stories and manipulating those around him. ??

Why is it, that no one else in Aus motorsport can get a look in, even in the motorsport media besides Avesco. Everyones says, work harder and know your place.

However when it comes to Avesco, the cant succeed to get a slice of the national media, then its a conspiracy against motorsport, we deserve it, look how good we are mentality.

I am not concerned about the V8's push for mainstream media, because it isn't going to help anyone else in Aus motorsport.

Last edited by D.R.T.; 21 Feb 2005 at 00:58.
Old 21 Feb 2005, 01:03 (Ref:1231022)   #19
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
its not like avesco dominate the media, i think motorsport in general lacks in the media and TC has been given the mandate to promote the v8s not every other form of motorsport, that belongs to CAMS to promote.

and who says they are false, ive never seen a shread of evidence to suggest its false, only those who say it is false without anything to back it up
Old 21 Feb 2005, 01:09 (Ref:1231024)   #20
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar
its not like avesco dominate the media.
Have you looked at motorsport publications recently.

Quote:
and who says they are false, ive never seen a shread of evidence to suggest its false, only those who say it is false without anything to back it up
Have you any evidence to suggest those stories are true. Do Avesco ever provide facts to back up their statements ??
Old 21 Feb 2005, 01:26 (Ref:1231028)   #21
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
yes i have, i read auto action reguraily, and they do not by any means dominate auto action, in fact less than 25% of auto action is devoted to v8s in any given week.

the facts are their statements, but thanks for proving my point
Old 21 Feb 2005, 01:27 (Ref:1231029)   #22
pete55
Veteran

AVESCO use inflated and inappropriate figures to try and achieve the mainstream press attention, something they don't deserve if they can't use the proper figures. He is doing alright with AA (AVESCO ACTION) as they seem to get every little press release and comment in that mag.
Old 21 Feb 2005, 01:38 (Ref:1231032)   #23
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
yes i have, i read auto action reguraily
Considering how many categories there in Aus and around the world, thats a fair bit.

Quote:
the facts are their statements, but thanks for proving my point
[/QUOTE]

I struggle to find any fact in there statements, maybe you could help ??
Old 21 Feb 2005, 01:42 (Ref:1231034)   #24
Wrighty05
Veteran

Australia
Wrighty05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete55
Because TC speaks with forked tongue. Have a look at the figures that he quotes or gets his representatives to quote about crowd figures and televison viewer figures. Then he implies that he is the reason why V8 Supercars are where they are today because of him.
People should realise that he is only doing it for the money and it is our ( yours and mine ) that he uses to do everything that he does. He is paid handsomely for his work, if it is his work. I'm no genius but i could do the same thing he has done and so could thousands of others and you would hardly know i was there. It is not rocket science but TC would have you believe that. I have promoted events before and it is not hard work. It just has to be done in the right way, and it takes a bit of time.
Then there is the media. This is an area that i have been involved in and i have never found it hard to get other forms of media other than that i worked in, involved in any event i did. Why is TC having so much difficulty in what he says is the fastest growing and the only national sport in Australia. I have my thoughts, maybe you have some different ones.
That's what i think.
Beautifully said
"It was dry for the second go-around. Grice, nervous, worrying about his Bathurst jinx, ran 2:25.9. The amazing Brock, using every last centimetre of bitumen, yet keeping the car straight and balanced and at full noise, came back with a staggering 2:20.0 as if to say: "Match that". And people just shook their heads, bit their lips and wondered who would be second".

RIP Peter Brock. 1945-2006
Old 21 Feb 2005, 02:04 (Ref:1231040)   #25
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
Considering how many categories there in Aus and around the world, thats a fair bit.

I struggle to find any fact in there statements, maybe you could help ??[/QUOTE]

Just like any other sport in the world really, go and see how much your local football or cricket club gets in the papers, what about baseball, or american football or soccer, we the paying public care little and so those sports gets little coverage, because someone promotes there sport better and attracts the publics attention, then its up to other sports to lift there standards and they fall behind, like i said thats not TC's fault he is doing the job he has been paid to do.

the staements are the facts, if they are not the facts then you and pete and the other people who are so hard on tC because he has promoted the v8s to being the third most watched sport in australia dis prove them, i bet you cant