Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 1 Aug 2018, 09:11 (Ref:3840552)   #151
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Nononsensecapeesh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
Wouldn't worry, not even Louise Goodman interviews him anymore so you don't get to hear so much moaning now anyway.
Thank goodness for that.
Old 1 Aug 2018, 09:43 (Ref:3840555)   #152
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nononsensecapeesh View Post
It's not the Subaru's that should disappear, Plato should retire and save his moaning for team management or at least anyone who will listen.
If he was bringing a headline sponsor, and enough backing to fund almost your entire operation - how much moaning would you be willing to listen to? It might get a bit tedious at times - but I'd wager that Jason Plato has brought more funding to the BTCC paddock than any other driver, and so has probably earned the right to complain a little bit.

My point about him having lived in Monaco and flying into circuits was that his seat in BTCC will purely be dictated by a flow of cash. It was asked why he is not in a seat at TD or WSR - the simple reason is that the current setups at TD and WSR don't present him with as much opportunity to increase his bank balance as other slots.

If TD or WSR are in need of something that Plato can facilitate - they'd gladly have him in their cars. If the BMR situation sees them absent from the grid next season - it won't concern Plato, he'll negotiate another lucrative position in another team.
Old 1 Aug 2018, 10:24 (Ref:3840569)   #153
Racer65
Racer

Racer65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So BTCC is going hybrid at the end of 2021. Wonder if that will bring in any new names?

Presumably it will be a simple system along the lines of a starter motor or alternator boost system.
Old 1 Aug 2018, 10:37 (Ref:3840572)   #154
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I don't think hybrid is something the fans want (particularly). Undoubtedly it will mean the cars having to hunk around another 50-100kg of weight too, which in a category where the cars are already overweight, isn't ideal at all.
Old 1 Aug 2018, 11:01 (Ref:3840579)   #155
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
I can see why Gow wants to go that route, EV and Hybrid technology will be even more common place in 2022 and it will help to make the BTCC appear 'relevant'. It won't help with manufacturer entries as will be a spec part, so Honda for example, couldn't talk about 'their' hybrid system on the car and relate it back to road cars. But as a 'messaging' and marketing exercise for the BTCC overall, I can see the fit.
Old 1 Aug 2018, 11:13 (Ref:3840581)   #156
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
It'll be interesting to see how this package works. I guess that by 2022 all of the cars will be front wheel drive, so the electrical power side of things could be done through the rear wheels using TOCA specification hubs & drives etc?
Old 1 Aug 2018, 11:33 (Ref:3840585)   #157
Rob877
Racer

Rob877 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob877 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can obviously see the need to move to this technology, but I just feel this implementation of it is wrong. I feel it'll spoil the racing, basically having an 'overtake button'. That isn't what touring car racing is about for me. I can see it reducing the art of overtaking a bit if you can just blast past someone on the straight because you've pressed a button.

As said earlier, I'm not overly against hybrid technology (I don't like it, but it's just a fact of life we all have to get used to, however much we like the internal combustion engine). I would just hate to see this dilute the racing, which for me has kicked up another gear this year.
Old 1 Aug 2018, 11:44 (Ref:3840586)   #158
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
It will inevitably lead to a rise in costs and a reduction in reliability, particularly for the poorer indie teams.
Old 1 Aug 2018, 11:48 (Ref:3840588)   #159
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob877 View Post
I can obviously see the need to move to this technology, but I just feel this implementation of it is wrong. I feel it'll spoil the racing, basically having an 'overtake button'. That isn't what touring car racing is about for me. I can see it reducing the art of overtaking a bit if you can just blast past someone on the straight because you've pressed a button.
I hope they don't introduce the Formula E style "fan boost", if everyone has the same amount of power and its down to the driver when to deploy I have no real issue with it, but I don't want to see someone like say Rob Austin given more available every race because they are popular/active on social media rather than the best drivers
Old 1 Aug 2018, 12:04 (Ref:3840593)   #160
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
If he was bringing a headline sponsor, and enough backing to fund almost your entire operation - how much moaning would you be willing to listen to? It might get a bit tedious at times - but I'd wager that Jason Plato has brought more funding to the BTCC paddock than any other driver, and so has probably earned the right to complain a little bit.

My point about him having lived in Monaco and flying into circuits was that his seat in BTCC will purely be dictated by a flow of cash. It was asked why he is not in a seat at TD or WSR - the simple reason is that the current setups at TD and WSR don't present him with as much opportunity to increase his bank balance as other slots.

If TD or WSR are in need of something that Plato can facilitate - they'd gladly have him in their cars. If the BMR situation sees them absent from the grid next season - it won't concern Plato, he'll negotiate another lucrative position in another team.
There's a little bit and then there's the extent Plato takes it to which makes a little bit the definition of an understatement.
Old 1 Aug 2018, 12:47 (Ref:3840606)   #161
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
There's a little bit and then there's the extent Plato takes it to which makes a little bit the definition of an understatement.
There's a phrase that includes the words kettle and pot that comes to mind in the context of moaning at this stage.
Old 1 Aug 2018, 13:00 (Ref:3840613)   #162
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
As I have already said, he isnt interviewed that much on ITV anymore, he now has a very low profile on social media. This "Plato is a moaner" seems a bit bandwagon jumping as whilst he is at the back, it isnt really happening at the moment. Can think of a few other drivers getting more exposure for their moaning than Mr Plato at the moment
Old 1 Aug 2018, 13:26 (Ref:3840618)   #163
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:
There's a phrase that includes the words kettle and pot that comes to mind in the context of moaning at this stage.
WHAT...EV...ER
Old 1 Aug 2018, 13:27 (Ref:3840619)   #164
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:
As I have already said, he isnt interviewed that much on ITV anymore, he now has a very low profile on social media. This "Plato is a moaner" seems a bit bandwagon jumping as whilst he is at the back, it isnt really happening at the moment. Can think of a few other drivers getting more exposure for their moaning than Mr Plato at the moment
I only watch for the racing.
Old 1 Aug 2018, 13:41 (Ref:3840624)   #165
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I only watch for the crashes.
Fixed that for you.
Old 1 Aug 2018, 13:41 (Ref:3840625)   #166
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
So why bother listening to the interviews or media spots then?

If you don't want to hear Plato moaning, rather than moan about it, just tune in for the races?
Old 1 Aug 2018, 13:48 (Ref:3840627)   #167
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
I'm struggling to understand your point about Plato then. You want him to leave because of comments he made in the past at least 18 months ago AWAY from racing
Old 1 Aug 2018, 13:49 (Ref:3840628)   #168
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:
So why bother listening to the interviews or media spots then?

If you don't want to hear Plato moaning, rather than moan about it, just tune in for the races?
I do that anyway! Now stop bothering me for a moment or two, you're getting on my wick!
Old 1 Aug 2018, 13:51 (Ref:3840629)   #169
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
If your comments were more consistent and coherent you might find it easier to deal with the flow of conversation.
you dont have to post "me too" every time, its not a "most posts" competition
Old 1 Aug 2018, 13:54 (Ref:3840630)   #170
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:
If your comments were more consistent and coherent you might find it easier to deal with the flow of conversation.
you dont have to post "me too" every time, its not a "most posts" competition
Pots and kettles!
Old 1 Aug 2018, 13:56 (Ref:3840631)   #171
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Pots and kettles!
I generally go out of my way not to just agree with everyone for the sake of it as it makes conversation boring, and where i can i try and back things up
Old 1 Aug 2018, 13:59 (Ref:3840632)   #172
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:
I generally go out of my way not to agree with everyone as it makes conversation boring, and where i can i try and back things up
I'm not like that at all, that's just how you perceive it.
Old 1 Aug 2018, 14:01 (Ref:3840633)   #173
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
I do that anyway! Now stop bothering me for a moment or two, you're getting on my wick!
This is a forum - I have as much right to post here as most others.
It is your choice whether you need to respond or not.

What I will not do is stop posting because you instruct me to.

2019, BTCC - perhaps that will be the season when JP gets his 99/100/101 victory tally and then we can wait with baited breath to see how he celebrates? I imagine it would get messier than supping a pint with fans trackside, or wearing grid girl outfits in the hotel afterwards?
Old 1 Aug 2018, 14:01 (Ref:3840634)   #174
BillWiskins
Racer

European Union
Brighton
BillWiskins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Almost every driver does the interview whinge at some point - some are just a little more subtle about it. To be honest every interview is more or less the same: namecheck sponsors, the car was on rails, we could have won/won easier if we weren't restricted by x/the opposition weren't so good at y. The 'we hate Plato' club have been moaning more frequently, and with less reason, that the man himself has for some time now.

Moving on, the hybrid thing I suppose was inevitable. As others, I'm not against it unless it massively increases costs but equally I am not the slightest bit excited by the prospect. Looking forward to being proven wrong.
Old 1 Aug 2018, 14:02 (Ref:3840635)   #175
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillWiskins View Post
Almost every driver does the interview whinge at some point - some are just a little more subtle about it. To be honest every interview is more or less the same: namecheck sponsors, the car was on rails, we could have won/won easier if we weren't restricted by x/the opposition weren't so good at y. The 'we hate Plato' club have been moaning more frequently, and with less reason, that the man himself has for some time now.

Moving on, the hybrid thing I suppose was inevitable. As others, I'm not against it unless it massively increases costs but equally I am not the slightest bit excited by the prospect. Looking forward to being proven wrong.
Now it will be interesting to have hybrids compete even if it won't be until 2022.