Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 1 May 2009, 10:49 (Ref:2453513)   #151
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
chauvinist pig !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Do what job? Drive the safety car? Tell Mr Whincup to pack his bags...

.. Robbie Jones?
Saw Ms Tander overtake on the outside over Lukey Heights in a F3 ... sexist I know, big balls is a fair description for a mo-sport afficionardo !!

Lets see Leanne do her stuff without sniping from the peanut gallery !!
Old 2 May 2009, 21:44 (Ref:2454259)   #152
mctshirt
Racer

New Zealand
The Land Of The Long Wide Bum
mctshirt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tander hardly set NZ motorsport on fire when she dabbled in the Toyota Racing Series in 2007 - hype was she was Australia's hottest open wheeler driver.

Comparing apples with apples her results compared to Christina Orr (NZ's hottest open wheeler driver)
Manfield 18 Feb 2007
q LT p11 CO p4
r1 LT DNF/S? CO p5
r2 LT p9 CO p6
r3 LT p7 CO DNFS?
Overall LT 11th CO 10th

Levels 4 Mar 2007
q LT p13 CO p7
r1 LT 10 CO p4
r2 LT p6 CO p8
r3 LT p14 CO p11
Overall LT 12th CO 4th

Teretonga 11 Mar 2007
q LT p12 CO p13
r1 LT 16 CO p12
r2 LT p9 CO p12
r3 LT p10 CO p6
Overall LT 13th CO 12th

And for the record Daniel Gaunt took out the championship from Shane van Gisbergen (in his first year after cleaning up the Formula Ford title in his first year).

Tander might make it in V8's but I don't think even the back of the pack drivers losing sleep just yet. I wish her well cause she sure is prettier than most of the "Main Game" drivers
Old 2 May 2009, 22:05 (Ref:2454270)   #153
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mctshirt View Post
Tander hardly set NZ motorsport on fire when she dabbled in the Toyota Racing Series in 2007 - hype was she was Australia's hottest open wheeler driver.

Comparing apples with apples her results compared to Christina Orr (NZ's hottest open wheeler driver)
Manfield 18 Feb 2007
q LT p11 CO p4
r1 LT DNF/S? CO p5
r2 LT p9 CO p6
r3 LT p7 CO DNFS?
Overall LT 11th CO 10th

Levels 4 Mar 2007
q LT p13 CO p7
r1 LT 10 CO p4
r2 LT p6 CO p8
r3 LT p14 CO p11
Overall LT 12th CO 4th

Teretonga 11 Mar 2007
q LT p12 CO p13
r1 LT 16 CO p12
r2 LT p9 CO p12
r3 LT p10 CO p6
Overall LT 13th CO 12th

And for the record Daniel Gaunt took out the championship from Shane van Gisbergen (in his first year after cleaning up the Formula Ford title in his first year).

Tander might make it in V8's but I don't think even the back of the pack drivers losing sleep just yet. I wish her well cause she sure is prettier than most of the "Main Game" drivers
of course unlike Christina.. it was Leanne's first time in Toyota on NZ tracks.
Old 2 May 2009, 22:30 (Ref:2454280)   #154
mctshirt
Racer

New Zealand
The Land Of The Long Wide Bum
mctshirt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
of course unlike Christina.. it was Leanne's first time in Toyota on NZ tracks.
Of course unlike Leanne...Christina wasn't touted as New Zealand or Australia's best domestic open wheeler pilot bar none boys included (in F3 or F3000 if I recall). IMHO watching the races on TV Tander wasn't very inspiring and not even in the same class as Gaunt and Van Gisbergen despite the hype. She flattered to deceive unlike David Besnard who had a crack at the 2007 Grand Prix in a Toyota between V8 races placing a credible 8th after an unlucky incident when he was forced from the track by another driver - Tander placed 13th...
Old 2 May 2009, 23:41 (Ref:2454291)   #155
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy View Post
Saw Ms Tander overtake on the outside over Lukey Heights in a F3 ... sexist I know, big balls is a fair description for a mo-sport afficionardo !!

Lets see Leanne do her stuff without sniping from the peanut gallery !!
No chauvinism here... but there are several drivers you could call "peripheral", on the outside looking in, and writing stories like this doesnt actually improve their chances at a race seat.

Think about this with some logic, would Roland Dane give Ms Anderson a drive in the 2nd 888 car in the enduros on the strength of her performance as Safety Car driver??

Mr Jones never had that benefit befall him, why would there be an expectation that Ms Anderson would do any better at achieving that goal?

The Wilson Security people seem to have taken Mrs Tander on board though, buying her a car, getting her in their promotional program with customers and suppliers. It would not be a surprise to see a shift in that sponsorship in coming seasons.. towards the female driver...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 2 May 2009, 23:41 (Ref:2454292)   #156
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a little confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctshirt View Post
Of course unlike Leanne...Christina wasn't touted as New Zealand or Australia's best domestic open wheeler pilot bar none boys included (in F3 or F3000 if I recall). IMHO watching the races on TV Tander wasn't very inspiring and not even in the same class as Gaunt and Van Gisbergen despite the hype. She flattered to deceive unlike David Besnard who had a crack at the 2007 Grand Prix in a Toyota between V8 races placing a credible 8th after an unlucky incident when he was forced from the track by another driver - Tander placed 13th...
Your argument appears to be with the publicity machine ....

As for the Toyota Series, Michael Pickens did poorly too.
Old 3 May 2009, 01:10 (Ref:2454313)   #157
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
Silver 3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Getting( & keeping) sponsorship is about a lot more than speed at the wheel. Only the exceptional have any chance ( and even then rarely) on doing it on ability. Anything that raises profile can only help. Motorsport is about the ability to pay-wether from ones own resources or the ability to get and keep sponsors.Let's not kid ourselves on that one.
Old 6 May 2009, 06:47 (Ref:2456254)   #158
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My ear to the ground tells me that Amber is paying her own way at the rounds she is attending (don't know about Tander but as hubby will be there one assumes she would share a room at least ) but has been given a nice series uniform to wear (shirt, pants, jacket).

Trouble with using race drivers (male or female) as the Safety Car driver is that they don't actually understand how a race "works" and past experience has shown they need a very experienced marshal sitting in the passenger seat to make sure they don't do anything they shouldn't do........

I also hear the main reason for VE$A selecting their own drivers is that occasionally the promotor chosen driver has had a habit of thrashing the car within an inch of it's life.

I also notice that neither car is road registered so cant be used to drive to the motel each night like the previous cars could be.....
Old 6 May 2009, 07:57 (Ref:2456287)   #159
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A unskilled safety car driver punting a GTR round the track or on the back roads to the motel at considerable speed, is a concerning idea!

Sorry about going off topic:

I wonder why DTM has 'marketing' drivers Matthias Lauda, Katherine Legge and Susie Stoddart, when Mercedes and Audi are paying anyway and they could have signed F3 drivers who were near the top in F3 but didn't go to GP2/F1 instead of these folks who were a fair way from the top of the F3 ranks in the case of the first and third one.

I'm not sure if it's better that V8's has SORFs instead, if it was DTM then various Moffats, James Brock and Leanne Tander would probably be already in drives based on marketing value.
Old 6 May 2009, 18:29 (Ref:2456683)   #160
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA View Post
My ear to the ground tells me that Amber is paying her own way at the rounds she is attending (don't know about Tander but as hubby will be there one assumes she would share a room at least ) but has been given a nice series uniform to wear (shirt, pants, jacket).
Well that is silly. She should at least get a couple hundred $ plus expenses as a drivers fee, especially considering the car is "sponsored".
Old 6 May 2009, 23:12 (Ref:2456858)   #161
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I also notice that neither car is road registered so cant be used to drive to the motel each night like the previous cars could be.....
I recall following a Course Car going back to my hotel one year... and had trouble keeping up with it, despite some obscene speeds!
Old 7 May 2009, 01:55 (Ref:2456908)   #162
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
Well that is silly. She should at least get a couple hundred $ plus expenses as a drivers fee, especially considering the car is "sponsored".
Well I also noticed the "Officials" cap given to each volunteer marshal is screen printed this year rather than the usual embroidered version in years past.

Perhaps VE$A is cutting costs where it can but this is getting off topic.
Old 7 May 2009, 02:05 (Ref:2456909)   #163
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
I recall following a Course Car going back to my hotel one year... and had trouble keeping up with it, despite some obscene speeds!
Ah, you must have been following Knakkers

(only kidding, as if they would give him the keys)

((Sorry Knakkers))
Old 7 May 2009, 02:10 (Ref:2456911)   #164
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
I'v driven all sort of race track vehicles on the road in the past Mick.

GT's, GT-P's F6X's, SS's, SV-6's, Cross8's, Grand Vitara's, Nissan Patrols, X Trails to name but a few.

So yes they do let me drive them away from the track at times
Old 7 May 2009, 03:22 (Ref:2456924)   #165
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
How about a black 300C with full WPS warpaint?
Old 7 May 2009, 04:31 (Ref:2456936)   #166
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe that Mrs. Tander will be getting in some extra practice with a return to the F3 series at Phillip Island.
Leanne is a very good driver, some of her races in Improved Production against Adam Macrow were brilliant, I seem to recall that she won at the Island in F ford and has seldom been out of the top three in F3.
Dare I say it on raw driving talent I know who I'd like my money on in a straight on track domestic between Mr and Mrs Tander.
No offence Garth. ;-)
Old 7 May 2009, 04:32 (Ref:2456938)   #167
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Well I also noticed the "Officials" cap given to each volunteer marshal is screen printed this year rather than the usual embroidered version in years past.

Perhaps VE$A is cutting costs where it can but this is getting off topic.
Well lets not get too carried away with cutting costs on the people that actually run the show on race weekend.

A safety car driver expected to do a pro job should get a reasonable daily fee and expenses. No excuses VESA!
Old 7 May 2009, 04:35 (Ref:2456939)   #168
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by inpitlane View Post
I believe that Mrs. Tander will be getting in some extra practice with a return to the F3 series at Phillip Island.
Leanne is a very good driver, some of her races in Improved Production against Adam Macrow were brilliant, I seem to recall that she won at the Island in F ford and has seldom been out of the top three in F3.
Dare I say it on raw driving talent I know who I'd like my money on in a straight on track domestic between Mr and Mrs Tander.
No offence Garth. ;-)
Can't wait to see how she does in the Falcon this year.
Old 7 May 2009, 08:22 (Ref:2457017)   #169
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
So where are...

... the 4 of these ladies now?
Old 7 May 2009, 11:20 (Ref:2457154)   #170
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where is Melinda Price??????????
Old 7 May 2009, 12:22 (Ref:2457210)   #171
speedreader
Racer

Australia
speedreader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Christina has been running select single seater events in the USA (Indy Lights or similar from memory) but I believe money was a problem because like any driver, male or female, she was having to contribute toward the running costs and with the exchange rate of the NZ$ versus the US$ this was a dificult scenario to keep on top of. She recently returned to Australia to race in the Bathurst 12 Hour race, albeit in a fairly slow, normally aspirated Subaru Impreza.

Leanne has select rides in Fujitsu V8's and F3 leading up to the Enduro rides with PCR later this year.

Not sure about Lauren Gray or ???

The sad thing is everyone attacks female racers and their lack of competitive drives but also attackes them when they get publicity. Lets face it, Robbie (Jones) driving the pace car was just another competitive race car driver driving the pace car but Amber driving it is an editorial spin that the media love - why is that Amber's fault ?

Many people have said this before and I will reiterate - when you are dealing with literally hundreds of male drivers attempting to prove themselves alongside perhaps 2-3 female drivers at any one time the odds will always be better that more males will shine in the long run...

Lets stop knocking those that are trying - if ever I had a good word to say about Americans it is how they constantly find the good in people instead of just ripping them apart like we do down here. You can be coming last in a Nascar race and still receive good coverage with knowledgable journalism, historical results and genuine comments to support your effort's. Here, the media just want to make a laughing stock of anyone who tries to achieve no matter what.

It's embarrasing and I really wish people would just grow up and start applauding those who give it a go no matter what their gender !!!

Old 7 May 2009, 12:32 (Ref:2457221)   #172
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Lauren Gray is running a Toyota Echo in Improved Production
Old 7 May 2009, 14:17 (Ref:2457281)   #173
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
And Mrs Tander is taking over the Safety Car as of Tasmania... to get laps around race tracks in case she gets a full time gig
Old 7 May 2009, 14:21 (Ref:2457283)   #174
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedreader View Post
Christina has been running select single seater events in the USA (Indy Lights or similar from memory) but I believe money was a problem because like any driver, male or female, she was having to contribute toward the running costs and with the exchange rate of the NZ$ versus the US$ this was a dificult scenario to keep on top of. She recently returned to Australia to race in the Bathurst 12 Hour race, albeit in a fairly slow, normally aspirated Subaru Impreza.

Leanne has select rides in Fujitsu V8's and F3 leading up to the Enduro rides with PCR later this year.

Not sure about Lauren Gray or ???

The sad thing is everyone attacks female racers and their lack of competitive drives but also attackes them when they get publicity. Lets face it, Robbie (Jones) driving the pace car was just another competitive race car driver driving the pace car but Amber driving it is an editorial spin that the media love - why is that Amber's fault ?

Many people have said this before and I will reiterate - when you are dealing with literally hundreds of male drivers attempting to prove themselves alongside perhaps 2-3 female drivers at any one time the odds will always be better that more males will shine in the long run...

Lets stop knocking those that are trying - if ever I had a good word to say about Americans it is how they constantly find the good in people instead of just ripping them apart like we do down here. You can be coming last in a Nascar race and still receive good coverage with knowledgable journalism, historical results and genuine comments to support your effort's. Here, the media just want to make a laughing stock of anyone who tries to achieve no matter what.

It's embarrasing and I really wish people would just grow up and start applauding those who give it a go no matter what their gender !!!

In this world, you get nothing for nothing. Everything comes at a cost. Being a female is not the panacea to sponsorship and corporate backing. The ladies mentioned above prove that. Their marketing leverage has to be right, to attact sponsors who can see the value in having a female in their spokesperson role

Mrs Tander has the Wilson Security gig because that company sees value in having a female presence in their line up. Is the speed she carries in the #222 or #333 car of ultimate importance? Perhaps not, when the team's primary hope is car #111, but the story is always good around having the female in the car, trying to beat the big boys

There is no real difference in trying to leverage having a female pilot than having a Kiwi pilot in a Team Kiwi race team. It is an attempt to differentiate the product... but when it is not competitive for whatever reason, it should not be immune from comment just because it is someone having a go
Old 7 May 2009, 14:42 (Ref:2457293)   #175
mspence
Racer

mspence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bernie seems to think the best promotional tool for F1 would be a 'Jewish, black female driver'.
Perhaps V8SA should start a search around Caulfield or Vaucluse....