Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Apr 2001, 19:15 (Ref:85421)   #1
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok here's a quote from TGF in the May issue of F1 Racing magazine:

"Life is very difficult for Damon because he's never been consistantly quicker than his team-mate. He's never been a clear number-one, so he's always had to try to make himself look better than he really is."

Oh, the arrogant, english hating, german.......fellow!!!

Your thoughts please...
Old 26 Apr 2001, 20:02 (Ref:85438)   #2
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
No, Damon wasn't consistently quicker than Pedro Diniz...oh nooooooooo.

TGF's main aim in life seems to be to put others down, and he's never been one for complimenting Damon.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 26 Apr 2001, 20:18 (Ref:85443)   #3
DancingMachine
Racer

DancingMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
nice 1 TGF
Old 26 Apr 2001, 20:51 (Ref:85463)   #4
Damon_racer
Rookie

Damon_racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TGF aways hated being beaten by Damon more than anyone else seems to me
Old 26 Apr 2001, 20:52 (Ref:85465)   #5
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
While Damon Hill may have never been consistently faster than his teammates, Micahel Schumacher has always been contractually faster than his teammates. Just ask Johnny Herbert, Jos Verstappen, Eddie Irvine and now Rubens Barrichello.
Never forget #99
Old 26 Apr 2001, 20:59 (Ref:85469)   #6
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's true. Damon was always faced with the competition within, TGF has never had that. That lessens him as a driver in my view, never having someone of the caliber of say Hakkinen or Villeneuve to compete with on equal terms in the same team.
Old 26 Apr 2001, 21:00 (Ref:85470)   #7
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There are drivers and drivers :

Some are genius on the track and brilliant speaking.

Some others are bad on the track and clever commentators.

Some others yet are great racers and poor of mind.

Wich one you spot TGF ???????????????
Old 26 Apr 2001, 21:06 (Ref:85472)   #8
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lets get Montoya in a Ferrari along side Schumacher and then we'll see just how he copes with some internal competition.
Old 26 Apr 2001, 21:23 (Ref:85481)   #9
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Bononi
There are drivers and drivers :

Some are genius on the track and brilliant speaking.

Some others are bad on the track and clever commentators.

Some others yet are great racers and poor of mind.

Wich one you spot TGF ???????????????

Definitely genius on the track and brilliant speaking.

That's just it, I think TGF would beat almost anyone in the same team, even if he had to compete on completely equal terms, with the possible exception of Juan Pablo Montoya (good suggestion, Damon). The fact that he's never faced such a challenge is what makes him fade a little IMO in comparison with the other all time greats.
Old 26 Apr 2001, 21:46 (Ref:85488)   #10
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally posted by Damon

Oh, the arrogant, english hating, german.......fellow!!!

Arrogant....Maybe....German...Definately....As far as "english hating goes", thats a rather silly remark. Michael cant help it if the majority of english drivers are whiners and cry babies who cant face the heat on the track. Simple as that. That doesent make him an "english hating" driver or person. The trouble with people like Hill, for example, is that they have a complex problem. Damon got caught in a war of words with Schumy and his mind games....thats why he got destroyed by Michael in 95 and why Villuneuve nearly kicked his butt in his first year with the team.

Michael is a tough cookie. He's willing to dish it out, but he's equally willing to take it on the chin when someone comes back at him, Damon could`nt do that. That doesent make Michael an evil "German fellow" as some of you put it..(more out of bitterness than anything else, really). The last english driver who had any guts was Nigel Mansell. Those who have followed him, especially Damon, are better of driving old geezers around in golf carts rather than hooking up with the best drivers in the world...in a formula one car.

PS....Claps all around...Hill was quicker than Diniz...WOW!

Last edited by Mania; 26 Apr 2001 at 21:48.
Old 26 Apr 2001, 22:40 (Ref:85511)   #11
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally posted by KC
While Damon Hill may have never been consistently faster than his teammates, Micahel Schumacher has always been contractually faster than his teammates. Just ask Johnny Herbert, Jos Verstappen, Eddie Irvine and now Rubens Barrichello.
And the second Irvine got that bit too close, surprise surprise, he gets the boot...

TGF - T... of the Year 2001.
Old 27 Apr 2001, 01:48 (Ref:85607)   #12
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If TGF is so obviously and clearly faster than everyone else on earth, why does he have to have it written into his contract that no one is allowed to go faster than he?

I really, honestly think that the trouble he's been in since Brazil (aside from the little quibble about the invisible traction control he doesn't have--oh wait, he does have) stems largely from being outrun AND JEERED AT by Montoya, who says to anyone who will listen that TGF is nobody special and beating him is nothing to get excited about ... and today said he would drive for Ferrari while TGF was there because he wasn't going to bow down in the dust to anybody.

I think he's afraid to try to compete on equal terms. I'm not saying he couldn't. But I am saying he's afraid he couldn't. And that is just as good as the real thing.

As for the remark about Damon, it's not the first one he's made, and in my opinion he keeps saying these nasty things about Damon because he knows he stole that championship that belonged to Damon, and he knows Damon knows it and so does everyone else. Good for him that he's finally able to feel shame, even if he can't admit it out loud yet....
Old 27 Apr 2001, 03:18 (Ref:85624)   #13
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Given that Damon is no longer racing, it was an unneccessary comment. The "psyche-out" that TGF perfected is irrelevant now. Why he feels compelled to continually denigrate Hill is astounding-Liz ir right, TGF knows that '94 was Hill's.
Old 27 Apr 2001, 04:40 (Ref:85631)   #14
Schumacher
Racer

Schumacher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by EERO
TGF knows that '94 was Hill's.
94 was Hill's?Yeah okay.By the way in case you did not notice,the history books read 1994 World Drivers Champion Michael Schumacher.Nothing else.Full Stop.

Too bad the Poms still cant take losing or defeat in a graceful manner and have to keep looking for reasons why their man was supposedly robbed.

Oh and once Hill stops making those catty remarks in F1 magazines about MS then maybe MS will stop as well.On the other hand,I hope he doesent stop.Because all MS is doing is speaking the truth.And if the truth hurts,then tough luck.Learn to live with it.
Old 27 Apr 2001, 06:53 (Ref:85649)   #15
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Not this AGAIN

Well Schumacher, its good to know there is yet another fellow schumacher fan giving us a bad name with posts like yours.

I was'nt going to get into this thread for a number of reasons, I think all drivers, especially TGF, are frequently either misquoted or have their comments taken out of context. I also looked like another "lets get TGF" lynch mob and this too does not interest me.

If he did say it, then it was completly inappropriate. Whilst over the last few years I have come to admire him as a driver, he's not someone I would be-friend. That said, I think Damon is the biggest disgrace to ever be called a WDC after his last year, lets call it a half year, with Jordan.

With reference to 1994, yes TGF did win the title, and lost respect from millions. That year was a bit tit-for-tat though, it's not as though Damon ever behaved as gentlmenly as say Mika. I don't beleive either deserved to win in 94, TGF's unsportsman like behaviour, and Hill was just never talented enough.

I trully believe though, that what goes around, comes around, and I for one hoped that was the case after Adelaide 94 and Jerez 97. Whilst I would never wish any driver injured, what went around, came around at Silverstone 99.

And the funniest thing of all is I've heard many a Schumacher fan say "The records might show Mika as WDC in 99, but we all know Michael would have one it"
Old 27 Apr 2001, 07:21 (Ref:85660)   #16
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just the Shyyyte Maker living up to his name my friends, that's all.
Old 27 Apr 2001, 07:50 (Ref:85668)   #17
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's funny that we all forget the spats between Senna and Prost, Senna and Mansell etc.

I suspect its more a case of respect. You don't find TGF slagging GV or Mika the way he has always done with Hill. Maybe Hill gave him more grief than we realised at the time. The charges of Hill swerving in front of him which IMO were no different to the swerving starts that TGF was putting in last year are a case in point.

TGF is good there can be no doubt, but he's never had to prove it against a team mate. When Hill won his championship in 96 he beat his team mate (who was definitely at the peak of his skills) and TGF.

Media hype is also involved here.

As to people around the world whining (not just Poms), I was in Malaysia working for an american outfit at the time of the 94 Australian GP. We had Dutch, Japanese, Malaysian, French and German people working with us and without a doubt all of them thought TGF had performed a professional foul.
Old 27 Apr 2001, 13:28 (Ref:85785)   #18
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As far as the Poms not being able to take the fact that MS was WDC over Hill, I don't think it was Damon Hill that was commenting on the apparent skill of Michael Schumacher, it was the other way 'round.

There is no doubt that MS is one of the fastest of all times, but he is also one of the worst as well. The worst to his teammate. Has everyone noticed that the no. 2 Ferrari is always very fast if MS does not finish. Just after MS broke his leg, Eddie Irvine was consistently fast and nearly became WDC, but as soon as MS came back Irvine resumed his role at 5th place. Barrichello's Ferrari win came after MS fell off the track at Hockenheim. The same for Johnny Herbert when they raced at Benetton.

So the question must be asked. How good would MS be if his teammate had access to setups and telemetry and the support of the team that MS requires in his lucrative contracts? Would a driver like Johnny Herbert or Jos Vertsappen be a WDC contender if they were allowed to race with MS instead of being forced to play second fiddle?
Old 27 Apr 2001, 13:48 (Ref:85793)   #19
angst
Veteran

angst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That has always been my point about TGF. I started a thread about this some time ago. He is a very good driver, but I don't believe he is head and shoulders above the rest in the field. He has always had preferential treatment from the team he has been with as regards to his teammates. Basically we've had a situation like that after '73 (when Stewart retired and unfortunately Cevert was killed) where there hasn't been an outstanding driver who is miles ahead of his rivals. Through a clever mix of brilliant PR, making sure that the teams he drives for are always built around him to the detriment of his teammates and being in the right teams at the right time an image has been built. Montoya is right, I don't believe Schumacher is as special as his image makes out. His ethics are also very dubious.
Old 27 Apr 2001, 17:42 (Ref:85858)   #20
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whilst I am still in the camp that DOES think TGF is the best out there, I must admit he can be an arrogant little s hit at times. The issue here is not what he said (which was in fact true TO A CERAIN EXTENT), but WHY?? WHY are you dredging up Hill again?? Is this a some dumb journo dragging up old stories again in a vain hope of controversy??
Old 27 Apr 2001, 17:47 (Ref:85864)   #21
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Angst, I too have always thought that Schumacher is NOT as ahead of the rest of them as is always made out. Hakkinen and Alesi are both worthy of the title of 'Best driver in F1 today' - not just TGF.
Old 27 Apr 2001, 17:57 (Ref:85875)   #22
R
Veteran

Tristan, I think you could be right concerning the journo. Why on earth would TGF drag up this "thing" with Hill again now?!? Hill has retired for crying out loud, there's no point for TGF to go on about him unless he's had a direct question from a reporter.
Old 27 Apr 2001, 23:04 (Ref:86054)   #23
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Schumacher

94 was Hill's?Yeah okay.By the way in case you did not notice,the history books read 1994 World Drivers Champion Michael Schumacher.Nothing else.Full Stop.

Too bad the Poms still cant take losing or defeat in a graceful manner and have to keep looking for reasons why their man was supposedly robbed.

Both Liz and I are Yanks, Schumacher, though Liz is an Ex-Pat. Neither of us is a "Pom", and in fact on the issue of Nationality, you might say wew ere neutral. I won't go into the arguement which has been beaten into the ground here, but I believe what I saw at Adelaide. And on the subject of character, I'll take Hill over TGF any day.
Old 28 Apr 2001, 01:22 (Ref:86094)   #24
Wolf
Rookie

Wolf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll declare myself here on 'TGF issue' just for future references.

Bearing in mind that Jim Clark was in court after '61 Monza race for negligent killing, TGF should've been on trial for triple attempted premeditated murder. But his driving skills (and perchance choice of team-mates*) were never challenged by either of his team-mates. Too bad he never had to prove it on the track...

Nevertheless, if team sees it benefitial to give him clear and undisputed no.1 status, 'tis not his mistake, but theirs.

* JV ('not the Boss'), IIRC, said something that he will not join Ferrari while MS is there, and so has JPM. Is it TGF's fault that people don't want to be his team-mates? And yes, JPM is so certain of his ability that 3x WDC is not so special. A comment most welcome from an 'expert' who has yet to finish a race...
Old 28 Apr 2001, 02:13 (Ref:86105)   #25
Schumacher
Racer

Schumacher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well that is your opinion EERO.I just do not agree with you.Some people,and that does not neccesarily include you,seem to continue to look for escuses why Hill did not win.As always,I would say the same thing.Even if Hill did not bash into MS there is no saying for sure that he would won the race.Maybe if he had kept his head and not balked under preassure as he did throughout his career,then he could have watched MS retire and would have a chance to fight for a win.Whether he would have got it can never be known.Ethics,or the lack thereof are really a matter of interpretation.You may find fault with MS's ethics.I do not.I on the other hand feel Hill's behaviour especially at Jordan was not only pathetic but also extremely unethical.

Ofcourse the Poms would never dare to talk about that now would they.If it was a German driver or a Canadian driver who behaved the same way as Hill did at Jordan then he would have been crucified.