Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 29 Mar 2005, 20:17 (Ref:1264601)   #1
carsten66
Veteran

Germany
Heidelberg, Germany
carsten66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Timo Glock in...

... it's fact... I've just read it on his website where he reportet that he has signed a contract with Rocketsports...

That's great and now we have one more good driver on the grid!
Old 29 Mar 2005, 21:01 (Ref:1264654)   #2
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the info, carsten. Glock will be a great addition to the CCWS. Let's hope that PG can provide him with a decent car. AR1 is reporting that Wirdheim has signed with HVM and some European businessmen are going to buy the team. Business is starting to pick-up around here!
Old 29 Mar 2005, 21:13 (Ref:1264669)   #3
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great. I think Glock is a very worthy addition.
Old 29 Mar 2005, 21:20 (Ref:1264675)   #4
Mosport67
Racer

Canada
Near Mosport
Mosport67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good news. I thought Glock was impressive in the Jordan last year. Look forward to seeing him race a ChampCar.
Old 29 Mar 2005, 21:37 (Ref:1264705)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Clearly the Sauber testing option he hoped for didn't come about, or he (or DHL) decided ChampCars was a better option. He's a good addition for ChampCars, and should be a good rival for RHR, and certainly the championship's most successful German/Germanic driver ever.

Dov, I'm saddened that you appear to consdier Keith Wiggins selling up to be a good thing. Keith's a great guy who's put a lot into trying to be successful, and he's always done as much as possible with the available money and talent, even in F1 when the team struggled. Even if it means a 2-car team out of the Herdez ashes, it'd be a shame to lose him
Old 29 Mar 2005, 22:20 (Ref:1264741)   #6
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Finally. The Rocketsports ride is a better opportunity than the Sauber testing option (except that's one of the test seats most people would think might turn into a full time ride!).

Based on his times so far, and that he's got an equally new to the team highly rated driver to compete against, this could be Glock's golden opportunity. (Ready to eat words if his race pace is as, shall I say, unfortunate in a Champcar as Guy Smiths).

I know I'll get flamed for the Smith bit, he's a great sportscar driver - but something clearly went wrong there for him and CART.
Old 29 Mar 2005, 22:23 (Ref:1264744)   #7
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide

Dov, I'm saddened that you appear to consdier Keith Wiggins selling up to be a good thing. Keith's a great guy who's put a lot into trying to be successful, and he's always done as much as possible with the available money and talent, even in F1 when the team struggled. Even if it means a 2-car team out of the Herdez ashes, it'd be a shame to lose him
I don't think slating Wiggins performance as a manager at all is even fair. Okay, Pacific was a bit of a mess, but those were the tail end of the days were independant F1 teams had no chance of surviving and were just finding that out.

Since taking over Bettenhausen, the Herdez Competition team's increase in form has been nothing short of incredible. I'd probably have slated the team for death within a year at the time. I would have been quite wrong. (I should have said 4 )
Old 29 Mar 2005, 22:26 (Ref:1264746)   #8
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
Finally. The Rocketsports ride is a better opportunity than the Sauber testing option (except that's one of the test seats most people would think might turn into a full time ride!).

Based on his times so far, and that he's got an equally new to the team highly rated driver to compete against, this could be Glock's golden opportunity. (Ready to eat words if his race pace is as, shall I say, unfortunate in a Champcar as Guy Smiths).

I know I'll get flamed for the Smith bit, he's a great sportscar driver - but something clearly went wrong there for him and CART.
Great news on Glock!

Smith is a great sports car driver, but I can't remember him doing bad in Champ Car, I thought he did alright.
Old 29 Mar 2005, 22:47 (Ref:1264769)   #9
Mosport67
Racer

Canada
Near Mosport
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke

Smith is a great sports car driver, but I can't remember him doing bad in Champ Car, I thought he did alright.
I would say he was disappointing. I really had expected more from him after stepping in for NP. There were times where I was thinking the NP might have been right about the equipment he was working with.
Old 29 Mar 2005, 22:50 (Ref:1264773)   #10
StickShift
Veteran

StickShift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any word yet if the car is going to be sponsored DHL? Or are they just signing Timo's cheque?
Old 29 Mar 2005, 23:49 (Ref:1264810)   #11
carsten66
Veteran

Germany
Heidelberg, Germany
carsten66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickShift
Any word yet if the car is going to be sponsored DHL? Or are they just signing Timo's cheque?
... it was a first of all note from Timo on his own website, and more, he is writing, we will know within a short time from the speed-academy-webside...

The DHL speed-academy webside is in German only but I will keep you informed...
Old 29 Mar 2005, 23:56 (Ref:1264816)   #12
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
Boots, i'm not sure where you get that impression from. All I did was state a fact that some European businessmen might be buying HVM. Then after that I said, "business is starting to pick up around here"..... all I meant was things were starting to get done around here, new and old drivers were signing contracts and some new sponsors are getting on board.

I have alot of respect for Keith Wiggins, just like I had for Mr. Bettenhausen. I'm one of the few people in this forum who is upset that Champ Car is going to lose the Walker Racing name. But that's another team and another story.
Old 30 Mar 2005, 00:28 (Ref:1264823)   #13
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd rather have Timo Glock than Tagliani too.
Old 30 Mar 2005, 01:09 (Ref:1264836)   #14
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickShift
That would be the first sponsor I have ever heard of that is keen to sign a cheque without getting anything in return.

Where do you find sponsors like that?
Old 30 Mar 2005, 01:20 (Ref:1264839)   #15
Mantom
Rookie

United States
Mantom has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I have removed this post.

Please refrain from such actions in future.

Last edited by marcus; 30 Mar 2005 at 01:36.
Old 30 Mar 2005, 02:39 (Ref:1264866)   #16
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I deal circumstance with HVM, would be that Keith Wiggins stays on in a Team Management role if the team is to be sold. It would be a shame if he was not to be involved.
Old 30 Mar 2005, 03:25 (Ref:1264873)   #17
trout
Rookie

Canada
Winnipeg. Manitoba
trout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven
I'd rather have Timo Glock than Tagliani too.
Whoa!! There's a shot! We may be in the Commonwealth and Lizzy may be on our currency, but don't pick on a Canadian!! Tag is a good driver and, even more than that, like a true Canuck, he landed a babe!! Ahem... Should I mention Charles, um, babe?

Tag's driving can't be that bad!!

Let's see Timo do that!

Vivre le Canada libre! Vetchez la vache!
Old 30 Mar 2005, 04:20 (Ref:1264903)   #18
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good about Glock, I look forward to seeing what he can do.

It really is a shame that guys who were with the series through thick and thin are no longer able to float their teams themselves (Walker and Wiggans). It seems like such a horrible change of fortunes for Wiggans. His cars were the only ones properly loaded with sponsors and now he may have to sell his team?
Old 30 Mar 2005, 04:28 (Ref:1264907)   #19
Mosport67
Racer

Canada
Near Mosport
I would expect Wiggins to stay in a management role. It would be hard to find someone better.
Old 30 Mar 2005, 17:00 (Ref:1265466)   #20
Ac.
Racer

Canada
Waterloo, Ont.
Ac. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dov
I'm one of the few people in this forum who is upset that Champ Car is going to lose the Walker Racing name. But that's another team and another story.
You're not the only one Dov. Walker may not have fielded the best effort over the last couple of years, but I respected his effort during tough times.
Old 30 Mar 2005, 21:38 (Ref:1265721)   #21
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm sad at losing the Walker name as well, as Derrick has done so well, and it's a major link to the old days - a Walker car nearly won the last pre-split Indy 500, and he also gave de Ferran a real shot at the title. If two of the most successful and loyal ChampCar teams have to reduce their ownership and sell shares to people who want to choose drivers themselves (due to nationality rather than merit) then it's not the ideal kind of progress, if it is progress at all.
Old 30 Mar 2005, 23:14 (Ref:1265805)   #22
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You're a "glass is half empty" kind of guy, aren't you Boots?
Old 30 Mar 2005, 23:24 (Ref:1265809)   #23
Mosport67
Racer

Canada
Near Mosport
Lets keep this in perspective. For sometime it looked like Walker was going to sit out the season.

He is going to continue his involvement. I'm willing to bet Walker is quite happy about things just now.
Old 30 Mar 2005, 23:26 (Ref:1265810)   #24
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Mac, I think your taking this a bit personal. This has nothing to do with Team Australia, but losing Derrick Walkers name.
Old 30 Mar 2005, 23:31 (Ref:1265812)   #25
racinthestreets
Racer

racinthestreets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Mr. Walker is fine and happy now that some others are responsible for securing sponsorship;

This is from Champ Car's site:

Said team owner Derrick Walker, “I first approached Craig about the Team Australia Racing concept as a way he could be involved in the sport by bringing in sponsorships and also share in some ownership of the race program element only. This involvement provides sponsorship assets without having to buy into my race team. Walker Racing is still 100% owned by me and continues to look for business opportunities. As the months passed the idea began to gain support from Craig and he introduced another businessman, John Fish, who has major plans to introduce his Australian wines (Aussie Vineyards) to the US market. From there the program quickly took shape and we have an exciting fresh race program that symbolizes the New World order in Champ Car today. “

From CCWS Site