Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 16 Jan 2008, 19:55 (Ref:2107504)   #1
cjh
Rookie

cjh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Books on F1 drivers

Are there any good books on F1 drivers? I am looking for books that probes more into psyche of drivers, mind, mental state, what drives them, etc.

....also on Senna.

Thanks
Old 16 Jan 2008, 19:57 (Ref:2107508)   #2
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This could be what you're looking for. I've only read a few chapters myself, but it seems pretty good.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Inside-Mind-...0513366&sr=8-1
Old 16 Jan 2008, 21:25 (Ref:2107565)   #3
PK Kart
Racer

England
Sussex
PK Kart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The above book is a good interesting read with some great anecdotes.

If you want to read about what drives a racing driver, try Perry McCarthys Autobiography, Flat out, Flat Broke. A brilliant book of the completely insane lengths Perry went to to try and get to F1.
I Think Lewis had a slightly less fraught journey to F1.
Old 16 Jan 2008, 21:57 (Ref:2107586)   #4
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Perry McCarthys Autobiography, Flat out, Flat Broke. A brilliant book of the completely insane lengths Perry went to to try and get to F1.
This is a hilarious story.
Old 17 Jan 2008, 00:25 (Ref:2107689)   #5
Wrighty05
Veteran

Australia
Wrighty05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I Know it's been out for a few years, but i found 'The life of Senna' a good read.
"It was dry for the second go-around. Grice, nervous, worrying about his Bathurst jinx, ran 2:25.9. The amazing Brock, using every last centimetre of bitumen, yet keeping the car straight and balanced and at full noise, came back with a staggering 2:20.0 as if to say: "Match that". And people just shook their heads, bit their lips and wondered who would be second".

RIP Peter Brock. 1945-2006
Old 17 Jan 2008, 01:50 (Ref:2107717)   #6
WazzuZ28
Rookie

United States
Seattle, WA
WazzuZ28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"The Art and Science of Grand Prix Driving" by Niki Lauda

Published after his championship season of 1977 it discusses all aspects of Grand Prix driving, definitely worth a read.
Old 19 Jan 2008, 11:47 (Ref:2109308)   #7
Pete Fenelon
Racer

Pete Fenelon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Niki's books are almost scientifically self-analytical and show just how hard he thought about racing.

"The Racing Driver" by Denis Jenkinson is the Gold Standard for trying to understand drivers.

"Racers" by Richard Williams is an excellent, penetrating look at Hill, Schumacher and Villeneuve against the background of the 1996 season.

Of driver autobiographies the most penetrating are

"The Unfair Advantage" by Mark Donohue
"All Arms and Elbows" by Innes Ireland
"The Mudge Pond Express" by Sam Posey (good luck finding that one!)
"Speed with Style" by Peter Revson
"Life at the Limit" by Graham Hill.

The most recent good autobiography was Perry McCarthy's.

I'm not really all that interested contemporary F1 or in most of the current crop of drivers but I've heard good things about Coulthard's autobiography.

The best driver biographies ever are Chris Nixon's 'Mon Ami Mate' (Hawthorn and Collins) and David Tremayne's 'The Lost Generation' (Pryce, Brise and Williamson). The latter did bring tears to my eyes in several places. Gerry Donaldson's books on Hunt and Villeneuve (G) come close.

Please avoid Tom Rubython's lip-smacking, repetitive, biased, turgid book on Senna. Both Richard Williams ('The Death of Ayrton Senna') and, surprisingly, Christopher Hilton ('The Hard Edge of Genius' and to a lesser extent its sequels) have covered his life and death much better.

Last edited by Pete Fenelon; 19 Jan 2008 at 11:50.
Old 19 Jan 2008, 11:56 (Ref:2109313)   #8
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Seconds to Mr Fenelon. The first two autobiogs mentioned would be set texts in any motor racing degree course. And very self-deprecating; you wonder how Mark Donohue ever got a drive, he concentrates so much on his failures, and forget he was on a podium in his first Grand Prix, won Indy, frightened the NASCAR boys regularly and so on.
Old 19 Jan 2008, 14:32 (Ref:2109391)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Gerry Donaldson's books on Hunt and Villeneuve (G) come close.
I love those two books and couldn't recommend them any higher.

The Hunt book was very moving at the end when he died.....still as sad as it was when it actually happened. Just brings home what a waste of a young life...
Old 20 Jan 2008, 14:03 (Ref:2109870)   #10
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
'Life at the Limit' by Prof Sid Watkins is the best racing book I have read. Even the wife liked it. The first chapter is about Senna and Prof Watkins gives nice insight into the friendship they had.
Old 22 Jan 2008, 13:44 (Ref:2111235)   #11
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
I love those two books and couldn't recommend them any higher.
Yes me too. The Villeneuve one is still my favourite tome packed full of Gilles own insights and crazy anectdotes as well as a good account of his racing record and latter day troubles coming to terms with the Pironi situation shortly before his death.

As you say the Hunt book was very moving.

I actually thought the Rubython Senna book was quite comprehensive perhaps with a couple of factual errors. The best one for me though, whilst not rammed with text is Karin Sturm's one from 1995. She covers a lot of ground in fairly simple terms about Senna's psyche and interests.

As also mentioned by others, 'Inside the Mind' and 'Flat Out Flat Broke' are well worth a buy.

The latest Stirling Moss book is quite good and there was a series of books by Chris Hilton on most of the leading drivers from the 90's which often covered their mental state and how they coped with inter team rivalries and other peers such as Schumi, JV, Hakkinen (particularly good one) Herbert, Frentzen and Irvine.
Old 23 Jan 2008, 10:10 (Ref:2111832)   #12
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Fenelon
Please avoid Tom Rubython's lip-smacking, repetitive, biased, turgid book on Senna. Both Richard Williams ('The Death of Ayrton Senna') and, surprisingly, Christopher Hilton ('The Hard Edge of Genius' and to a lesser extent its sequels) have covered his life and death much better.
I'd recommend 'The Death of Ayrton Senna' by Richard Williams - I read that a few years ago and found it very interesting. I read Graham Hill's autobiography several years ago as well - the final chapter, written by his wife after his death, is incredibly moving.

I'll also add to the recommendations of 'Flat Out, Flat Broke' by Perry McCarthy - I bought it for the boyfriend as a birthday present and he loved it.

I notice nobody has recommended any books about Lewis Hamilton...or anything by James Allen.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 7 Mar 2008, 21:17 (Ref:2146555)   #13
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i ordered the niki lauda book and the graham hill book on the strength of this thread, the lauda book is so far prooving to be superb, amusingly written but also going into some depth engineering wise, im yet to read the graham hill book.

amazon marketplace is a good resourse for books like this.
Old 13 Mar 2008, 13:34 (Ref:2150789)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl
I'd recommend 'The Death of Ayrton Senna' by Richard Williams - I read that a few years ago and found it very interesting. I read Graham Hill's autobiography several years ago as well - the final chapter, written by his wife after his death, is incredibly moving.

I'll also add to the recommendations of 'Flat Out, Flat Broke' by Perry McCarthy - I bought it for the boyfriend as a birthday present and he loved it.
I'd recommend these two as well. Perry's is absolutely marvelous.
Old 13 Mar 2008, 13:50 (Ref:2150805)   #15
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl
I'll also add to the recommendations of 'Flat Out, Flat Broke' by Perry McCarthy
Great book. The man is a legend.
Old 20 Mar 2008, 23:48 (Ref:2157704)   #16
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Perry McCarthy certainly has a sense of humour, and boy did he need it in his career.
Old 27 Mar 2008, 09:47 (Ref:2162824)   #17
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer

The latest Stirling Moss book is quite good....

This is a good and easy read, with some interesting background on the great man I was never previously aware of. Read it on holiday last year (or the year before....?).
Old 28 Mar 2008, 14:01 (Ref:2163863)   #18
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
This is a good and easy read, with some interesting background on the great man I was never previously aware of. Read it on holiday last year (or the year before....?).
Is this the grey paperback with black & white shot of him on the cover?
Old 28 Mar 2008, 19:55 (Ref:2164093)   #19
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
The DC book isn't bad. It doesnt focus on the racing so much, so none of your we had this set up here and there, but more on the way to the top. I've had some contact with DC in the past, and its captures him and his sense of humour well.

Still need to get the JYS book though
Old 28 Mar 2008, 19:57 (Ref:2164095)   #20
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
i thought i'd posted about this, but the Jo Ramirez book is great, and again captures what it was like working at McLaren. Jo is a great guy, full of knowledge and opinion and the book reflects it well. The story of how he worked himself up the ladder, working in Italy and then the UK is great
Old 29 Mar 2008, 10:08 (Ref:2164383)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
Is this the grey paperback with black & white shot of him on the cover?

That's the one - well, the one I'm thinking of, anyway.....
Old 29 Mar 2008, 10:09 (Ref:2164384)   #22
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_b

Still need to get the JYS book though

I've got that - but haven't gotten round to reading it yet - the freebie DVD is very entertaining though.
Old 29 Mar 2008, 10:34 (Ref:2164394)   #23
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

It's alright, but jeez there's a lot of name dropping and 'i've been fortunate enough to know so many great and wonderful people in my career' stuff as you'll see!!
Old 31 Mar 2008, 22:06 (Ref:2166531)   #24
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm about to read it - I've been told it's very interesting, but Jackie could've done with a better editor to knock it into a more readable shape. Looking forward to it though
Old 8 Apr 2008, 12:30 (Ref:2173125)   #25
Pete Fenelon
Racer

Pete Fenelon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_b
i thought i'd posted about this, but the Jo Ramirez book is great, and again captures what it was like working at McLaren. Jo is a great guy, full of knowledge and opinion and the book reflects it well. The story of how he worked himself up the ladder, working in Italy and then the UK is great
It's a favourite of mine - it was apparently a long time in the making, and Jo put a lot of racing memories into it. Some very interesting assessments of various people - Emerson Fittipaldi fans will wince slightly at some of the material about his time at his own team; and Jo's portrait of Ron Dennis fans will be a little surprised by the description of Jo's departure from McLaren...