Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Jan 2003, 10:00 (Ref:487199)   #1
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
A1-Ring axed

What a pity, I was planning on going to this race either this year or next...

Imola and Nurburgring next?

Last edited by Sodemo; 27 Jan 2003 at 10:03.
Old 27 Jan 2003, 10:05 (Ref:487202)   #2
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Every European race will be axed eventually.
That is the new way of F1 and FIA these days.
Old 27 Jan 2003, 10:15 (Ref:487213)   #3
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Monaco will stay though, as well as Monza, and maybe the British GP.
Old 27 Jan 2003, 10:22 (Ref:487218)   #4
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Spa has been on the F1 calendar since it began in 1950 as well as Monaco and Monza.

So i wouldn't get my hopes up.

Last edited by ASCII Man; 27 Jan 2003 at 10:22.
Old 27 Jan 2003, 11:16 (Ref:487241)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Actually Spa was lost from 71-83.

The race will be held this year, but never again, as the Austrian Government has banned tobacco advertising early. Why do Gvoernments insist on meddling in things they don't understand, at huge cost to the public. The money bthat comes into the eocnomy from a Grand Prix massively outruns the cost of a year's anti-tobacco advertising anyway.

In Bernie's mind, nothing is irreplacable anyway, 'dirty' tobacco money is being replaced with money from corrupt nations who can't afford food and water for their people, but can afford to build a Grand Prix circuit that'll be used once a year. Has anyone thought about how many Chinese will be able to afford F1 tickets.
Old 27 Jan 2003, 11:32 (Ref:487246)   #6
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Never liked the A1-Ring to being with, as it was a far cry from the Osterreichring, although must admit has produced the better races since 1997. Something always going on.
Old 27 Jan 2003, 11:38 (Ref:487249)   #7
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well, wont be that sad.

That should be it for a while hopefully, because Bernie probably thought if he was going to get two new GPs - Bahrain and Shangai, he would have to get rid of two - Spa and Austria.

wishful thinking probably
Old 27 Jan 2003, 12:00 (Ref:487256)   #8
ASCII Man
Veteran

I don't care about F1 not stopping by at Spa anymore, good riddance.(spelling?)
I hope we get CART in 2004.
Old 27 Jan 2003, 12:10 (Ref:487267)   #9
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I still don't understand the logic of taking the races from your fan base in Europe beacuse of a a tobacco advertising ban. In three years, ALL Tobacco advertising will be gone form F1. This is foolish. They will never get the crowds in Barhain or China that they get in Austria, and ythough the A-1 Ring is a pale replica of the Ostreichring, its still is a fine tack.
Old 27 Jan 2003, 12:28 (Ref:487278)   #10
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, but untill 2006 they have long term contracts. Some of them stipulate the number of races in which they can run without the sponsor's logo.

The problem is not that the fans won't buy, in China, so many tickets like in Europe. (and don't be so sure that you won't get crowds in Bahrain or China, or Turkey and Russia). The problem is that the teams will get less sponsorship money.
Old 27 Jan 2003, 12:30 (Ref:487280)   #11
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats one way to solve the team orders problem..... get rid of the tracks where Rubins seems to be quicker than Michael
Old 27 Jan 2003, 12:30 (Ref:487281)   #12
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good idea to end the A1 ring -- so it will forever be known as That Place Where Ferrari Rigged The Race and Shamed F1 to the World.

Anyway it's a boring track.
Old 27 Jan 2003, 12:58 (Ref:487294)   #13
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always lament the loss of any Grand Prix track around the world. Why? I feel sorry for the fans of that Country who've lost their "home" race and would have to travel to another country in order to watch the cars "live" and experience the atmosphere of a Grand Prix.

I'd be furious if the British Grand Prix was going (and it may well go - but not if I have anything to do with it).
Old 27 Jan 2003, 13:43 (Ref:487327)   #14
ASCII Man
Veteran

I don't care anymore.
I'm glad we got rid of Bernie and his freakshow.
Old 27 Jan 2003, 13:48 (Ref:487333)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Another GP I've been to gets Axed! I think this means I have good taste. We only seem to keep the bad ones!

While the A1-ring was not a patch on the Osterreichring I thought it was a great spectator circuit. If you sat just after Turn 1 you could see 90% of the whole circuit. Great stuff.
Old 27 Jan 2003, 15:09 (Ref:487397)   #16
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
You folks just haven't figured out that it is the TV, not the gate at the track that generates the money. Bernie could hold all of his races in Uzbekistan or Bongo Congo. Not a single ticket could be sold, but as long as the TV rights are sold it will be a money-maker.

I agree to an extent with Boots - without getting into a discussion about tobacco - I find the idea of taking the circus to countries with human rights records that are below abysmal is abhorent. The money spent building these tracks could feed how many?
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 27 Jan 2003, 15:26 (Ref:487408)   #17
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz

Anyway it's a boring track.
It may be boring to look at, although the scenery isn't, however, it does through up a fair race usually, with 3 overtaking places, doesn't sound alot, but it's more than most (all?) places.

So, what new circuits will be ready to host a GP in 2004 then?
Old 27 Jan 2003, 18:37 (Ref:487554)   #18
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
mr v, I agree, it is a pretty decent track (by today's standards). A throughly enjoyable place to watch a GP.
Old 27 Jan 2003, 19:34 (Ref:487610)   #19
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why couldn't Hungary have banned cigarette advertising insted???
Old 27 Jan 2003, 19:40 (Ref:487616)   #20
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Banned because of cigarette advertising??

Don't give me that bull****. Nothing to do with ciggy ads AT ALL. Like Andy says, why not drop Hungary?? The answer's simple: merchandising.

I will NEVER support this stupid stupid stupid idea for a stupid stupid stupid stupid Russian GP on the stupid stupid stupid Nagantino track. The same applies to the new Chinese track only with more severity.

If they run the Bahrain race at night then I MIGHT be won over. That's adding something new to the sport. The others are simply taking it away.

LUDICROUS decision. KEEP F1 IN EUROPE, where the FANS are.
Old 27 Jan 2003, 20:14 (Ref:487642)   #21
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For shame, for shame.

Well, maybe now we can get around to restoring the first and second turns of the old Österreichring.

In fact, good riddance! I hope F1 dies soon, so we can have a _real_ World Driver's championship instead [<snipped content> Please, do not dodge the autocensor].

Last edited by R; 27 Jan 2003 at 21:11.
Old 27 Jan 2003, 20:59 (Ref:487687)   #22
CleanTone
Racer

Romania
Colentina
CleanTone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok dudes. 3 loads I would like to get off my chest:
1.I may sound a little South Park-ish
2.Out with the old Tilke, in with the new Tilke(sucks A$$ anyway)
3.I am a bad gamer and/or driver. However, I've played F1 2001. One of the few circuits I have learnd is A1(this may be a bad thing since a lamer can learn it). I gained places at the end of the first 3 lines, but I lost seconds on the s-es and from then on. But THERE ARE passing spots. I guess this ****es Mr Bad Herminator off.
PS(waaay off forum): hooray however for the good Herminator.

[Same goes here: Dodging the autocensor is not very clever.]

Last edited by R; 27 Jan 2003 at 21:13.
Old 27 Jan 2003, 21:14 (Ref:487699)   #23
sgw2
Racer

United States
Sunnyvale, California
sgw2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is suicide to Axe EU races. F1 should recognize that Tobacco money will not be the long term lifeline for F1, and neither will be auto manufacturer's.

The key is gettinG EU divisions to sponsor cars. Decreasing the European portion of the schedule is squeezing the middlee and small teams, by making F1 less attractive to potential sponsors.

These moves are short sighted.
Old 27 Jan 2003, 21:15 (Ref:487702)   #24
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, well, when one of the "modern" tracks is axed, it has to be one of the best ones. Well, what do you know.
Old 27 Jan 2003, 21:55 (Ref:487745)   #25
JonesF1
Racer

JonesF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didnt I predict in that "Mosley letter to Byrne" thread that one day there would be no EU races? The Almighty Tobacco Leaf has spoken...

BTW A1 was Barrichellos best track but at least he wont have to move over for Schu again. Or maybe 2003 will make it 3 years in a row.