Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 28 May 2003, 02:33 (Ref:612024)   #1
andrewmizzi
Rookie

andrewmizzi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thexton

So whats the deal behind Thexton?

Has he ever had a good qualifying? I've only seen a few of the races this year, has he made it to the actual race yet?
Old 28 May 2003, 02:39 (Ref:612030)   #2
True Believer
Racer

True Believer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Qualified, Raced & Scored POints at Eastern Creek
Old 28 May 2003, 03:12 (Ref:612046)   #3
Onlooker
Veteran

Onlooker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Beaten soundly by the fire truck,pace car and Ice cream push cart at all others.

"Montoya made some last minute changes to his suspension but it seemed to effect it's handling"-Classic
Old 28 May 2003, 04:32 (Ref:612063)   #4
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What intrigues me is that all of the fuss regarding the owners of the Skaife, Kelly, Kelly, Murphy, Not So (Bright)Weel, Faulkner, Bla Bla Bla, team/cars whatever....

But no real importance is put on making sure that the purchasers of other teams provide a competitive package.

this can cause a much bigger problem IMHO
Old 28 May 2003, 04:43 (Ref:612068)   #5
True Believer
Racer

If your dad bought the team with his seemingly limitless cash supply, competitiveness should be guaranteed.
Old 28 May 2003, 05:11 (Ref:612081)   #6
Onlooker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by rdmdog
What intrigues me is that all of the fuss regarding the owners of the Skaife, Kelly, Kelly, Murphy, Not So (Bright)Weel, Faulkner, Bla Bla Bla, team/cars whatever....

But no real importance is put on making sure that the purchasers of other teams provide a competitive package.

this can cause a much bigger problem IMHO
Well Hello!!!
All this franchise rubbish only became and issue this year ,correct.And why do you think that is?Last year a few true lengends of the motorsport world almost didn't get to play because they were to slow.Man did that ring some alarm bells as most had sold sponsership promoting a walk up start to every round.
AVESCO want to limit the # of positions in the field so the combined interests got pre-qualifying eliminated to save a few drivers backsides.
Who in the world that thought that a race over a distance should involve the fastest participants was way off the mark.It should be the blokes that have run for the most years that get to run as the young guys tend to be a bit quick.
Fortunatly the old guys had given themselves franchises for the cost of a set of tyres and this is now the ticket to ride.This has made some back markers instant millionares.So much in fact that most that whinged so loud about the pre-qualifying have in fact sold out and are enjoying the reward for years of campaining and uncompetitive team.
Sounds fair to me
Old 28 May 2003, 07:46 (Ref:612168)   #7
Onlooker
Veteran

And the fun just doesn't stop does it apparently Thecko is looking to get a MG drive at Darwin to enhance his chances of making the cut in the main game

"Montoya made some last minute changes to his suspension but it seemed to effect it's handling"-Classic
Old 28 May 2003, 08:55 (Ref:612212)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Gee that would be pretty translatable, a mid engine floppy handling anaemic thing against the supercar...

The promoters must rub their hands together when they see him coming...

Or perhaps is he trying out for next season
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 30 May 2003, 07:00 (Ref:614396)   #9
True Believer
Racer

And the genius has been said to have paid $20k to FastLane to run the Formula Fraud in Perth!

For that money he could have just about bought himself one!
Old 30 May 2003, 07:02 (Ref:614400)   #10
andrewmizzi
Rookie

Formula Fraud? Which one are you referring to? Ford? Holden? Vee?
Old 30 May 2003, 07:06 (Ref:614403)   #11
True Believer
Racer

If you pay $20k for a drive its a fraud committed by someone... I couldnt keep a straight face if I offered a car for lease at 4 times the market price! The Dept of Fair Trading would be onto me like a shot!

A 10 season old VD RF94 with the whizzbang 'Stealth' modifications is old Thexy's new home.
Old 30 May 2003, 11:56 (Ref:614645)   #12
Barrie Worth
Rookie

Barrie Worth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey the guys doing laps to become a better racer....the question is if you could, would you?
Old 31 May 2003, 01:39 (Ref:615426)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If it were me, I personally dont think I would graduate myself to the main supercar game without any local experience of the car or the tracks, unless I had the skill level of a Skaife or Ambrose from Day One.

The guy is on a hiding to nothing, and cant help but be criticised when the success rate isnt good at the moment
Old 31 May 2003, 15:27 (Ref:615906)   #14
williamsf1
Veteran

williamsf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He should stick to racing where old, fat, and generally slow drivers race..... Porsche Cup. Seeing as that is almost dead this year, Supercup would also fit the bill! Sans Richo and a few others, this series is full of bank balances with limited talent.

I can't for the life of me see why you would want to race in the main game of V8 supercars in and old and uncomptitive car even in good hands (McLean)....If he has the money to do it, do it right and buy an ex SBR car and have Ross and Jimmy engineer it...(all for a nice price!)

He is just wasting his time otherwise...... Does he really think he will qualify for more than 4-5 races this year?

He will qualify at Hidden Valley, as its hardly a technical circuit, but Bathurst? give me a break!! guys like Romano are being made to look good by this bloke!
Old 1 Jun 2003, 00:50 (Ref:616312)   #15
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Is Winton really a technical circuit? I know the AU and its understeery front end (even with the laughable new-for-2003 technical mod) would make coming onto the straight slower than desirable, but I still would have imagined Thexy would have had a better shot there than PI or EC

Wait till the car goes to Bathurst and hits a poofteenth off 300km/h... he will need a brown race suit rather than a virgin white one

He can go out and have fun with his money, but if he gets hurt doing it, then it proves maybe that it shouldnt seriously be allowed
Old 1 Jun 2003, 11:50 (Ref:616627)   #16
Rhys_00
Racer

Rhys_00 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know I would do it, if I had the money. We can all laugh, but seriously who here has done a top level v8 supercar race?
Old 4 Jun 2003, 03:18 (Ref:619969)   #17
Champ69
Veteran

Champ69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have never met threx but I have respect for him. He wanted to race and so went out and got his ride in the main game. I do not know how much experiance he has but he is giving his best shot and getting experiance where ever he can.

I would be interested in hearing what the technical back up in the team is. Is he running his team from a back yard garage?,does he have an engineer with any experiance?.

Anyway it seems he has a fair amount of money with him, he may be better trying the team managemnet root and get some young quick guys into the team.
Old 4 Jun 2003, 03:26 (Ref:619973)   #18
andrewmizzi
Rookie

To what I know, it's a very small team. Mr Thexton is also the 'Media Manager'. I marshalled in the pits when the race was down at Phillip Island and there wasn't much of a crew around.

His address listed on the V8 Supercars website is in a residential area called Arundel (My parents have a place in the same area) so I doubt the team is that big.

I sometimes wonder if his money and time would be better spent competing in the Konica's instead, as he would get unlimited testing time for his car and would have a better chance of getting a better position.
Old 4 Jun 2003, 04:35 (Ref:620011)   #19
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think his workshop is in Ormau next to Larko's, but I believe he lives closer to the coast. When he rocks up for testing, he does so in a very nice road car, and reading one of the mags today, it says he might be looking at a L1 franchise, so who knows what will happen...
Old 4 Jun 2003, 05:28 (Ref:620041)   #20
flyingduck
Veteran

flyingduck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mr Thexton used to own a NZ juice company called RIO which he sold to pepsi for a nice sum. He has been a rally driver in NZ with no real results to talk about. I don't think he has done any racing at least in my memory. This must be one reason he is slow but I'll tell you if I had that sort of money I would be sitting their trying to do the same thing and I have never even done rallying so Go you good thing David Thexton.
Old 4 Jun 2003, 06:06 (Ref:620050)   #21
Onlooker
Veteran

Yep if I was well off and full of go there is nothing that would be higher on my list of things to do than to go out and show everyone in no uncertain terms how lucky I was and what a fluke it was that I made enough money to do it,as opposed to connong them into thinking my fortun ate position in life was a result of carefully assesing situations and picking my oppurtunities carefully

Old 4 Jun 2003, 10:40 (Ref:620288)   #22
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed, we could all **** can him but he's given it a big go- good on him. If I were able, I'd probably do the same, but try my luck (and myself) out in Konica first then go for it!

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 5 Jun 2003, 00:09 (Ref:621286)   #23
RRR
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, VIC
RRR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK, we can't encourage Thexton to keep having a go. He hasn't got it. M.Skaife has it. M.Schumacher has it. D.Thexton does NOT have it ...
Yes, Thexton should jump into the Konica series because he is using a francise in the main game that could be used by someone with talent. Thexton has no talent.
And what is he going to do at Bathurst time. He'll have to enter 3 drivers, 2 of them who know how to drive because he's not going to qualify. That's if he doesn't ruin the car in practice ...
Old 5 Jun 2003, 00:18 (Ref:621293)   #24
andrewmizzi
Rookie

I would really like to know what his thoughts of Konica are, because he'd have a much better chance of not coming last and would get more time to perfect his car.

I'm under the impression that Konica gets unlimited testing time?
Old 5 Jun 2003, 00:31 (Ref:621303)   #25
Onlooker
Veteran

He really thinks he can cut it and has no desire to step down to a class that is unworthy of his talents.
PS he has gone cold on the BA project as it was pointed out that the improvment in lap times would be in the 1/10's of seconds not multiples of full seconds.
That said you would surely have to question your desion when you do many laps in the high 15's at QLD Raceway in an afternoon and the previus driver gets in and bangs out an 11 in a handful of laps.