Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 29 Nov 2006, 15:00 (Ref:1777824)   #1
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First attempt, first edition

So, v1 of my first circuit is complete. I still have no idea about most design rules about tracks - how wide should i make the road? How do I keep in scale? And so on. Anyway, here it is. Questions, comments and edits are well welcome!

Old 29 Nov 2006, 16:00 (Ref:1777859)   #2
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If your just using paint then it might be easier to draw the circuit out as a single line, rather than trying to keep a regular distance for a parallel line.

Scale is as you want it. The addition of a pit lane (the convention is to do it in red when using a single line drawing) tends to imply scale.

Take a look at this circuit from NickyF1 and you'll see what I mean:
http://tentenths.com/forum/showpost....75&postcount=1

Of the circuit itself, it's a good first effort. From the 90 degree right hander on the bottom left through to T1 it looks very much like Knockhill.

You can't do anything about it now, but you might want to read through the posting rules about the size of the image that you link to in that way. Post a thumbnail or just a text-link out to imageshack or wherever if the image is a bit big.
Old 29 Nov 2006, 16:03 (Ref:1777863)   #3
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Okay, first and foremost, you're track is too wide if it's a full size car/bike cirucit, this is more like a kart circuit with the width and length.

Have a look at other people's circuits for ideas on scale regarding track width and length.

I usually tend to plan it in my head before hand, thinking about lenght, and the purposes of the circuit, if it's a fully fledged international venue, or just a smaller, national type circuit.

I like the general shape of your circuit, and with some tweaks, it could be pretty good
Old 29 Nov 2006, 16:30 (Ref:1777885)   #4
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the comments. About the wide track - you wouldn't want to see how I started out then, it was even wider! I was inspired to draw it when one of our Bosnian members mentioned that there weren't any real circuits in his country, so I tried to design something that wouldn't be a massive undertaking to build. Still a good enough circuit, but rather Thruxton/Knockhill/Croft than Bahrain/Shanghai/Sepang.
Old 30 Nov 2006, 10:05 (Ref:1778404)   #5
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Well, let's make it narrower then (and a thumbnail too!):

Old 30 Nov 2006, 11:42 (Ref:1778508)   #6
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jimmy, what most of us do when creating tracks is have the actual race track (and short circuits etc) a deep blue single line. Yours right now isn't wide enough in some spots and too angled. Most of us just use Paint to create tracks, and if you do too then use the curved line tool- Works wonders .

Of the track itself, it's not bad for a first attempt. I might remove the kink on the back straight though.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 30 Nov 2006, 11:43 (Ref:1778510)   #7
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That looks a lot better. With the pitlane for scale I'd think somewhere on or around 2 miles in length?

How about elevation changes? Talk us around how you see the circuit
Old 30 Nov 2006, 14:08 (Ref:1778647)   #8
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Yes, it's a bit rough at the moment. I'm using Illustrator to create it's so it's pretty easy to change, thankfully.

So, a tour then. The start/finish straight is not the longest one around but it gives you plenty of time to draft and try to pass into turn 1, a sharp near-90 degree right hander. It's quite a hard braking into this corner so caution is needed if you don't wish to end up in the dirt!
Anyway, through turn 1 and it's time to head downhill. Firstly there is a short, slightly downwards straight before a blind right-hand kink. Blind because once it turns right the track heads into a steep down-hill decline into turn 3, the lowest point on the track. Head though turn 3, somewhat banked to give you a good drive though it and then start to climb the second of the longer straights. Going through turn 4 you are again at the start/finish straight level.
The part of the track from turn 4 to after turn 6 are in a wooded area. Quickly through turn 4, where the car feels like it's about to take off and brake hard for the hairpin (turn 5). Next you have a straight with a slight increase in elevation before the sweeping downhill chicane that takes you to the rest of the straight. About halfway through this straight you exit the forest.
Hard on the brakes again for the 90-degree turn 7. Don't outbrake yourself here or you'll be stuck in the gravel! Now hug the steering wheel and muscle the car through the long turn 8 that will try and suck you to the right. Through turn 9, which is a banked corner and quicker than it looks, and head for the start/finish straight. All the way from turn 7 through turn 9 there is a slight elevation change to get us up to the height of the start/finish straight.

Well, I hope I got something across with this one
Old 1 Dec 2006, 17:24 (Ref:1779711)   #9
V8_TURBO
Veteran

MagnetON
Glasgow
V8_TURBO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's pretty wide.
Old 1 Dec 2006, 19:06 (Ref:1779771)   #10
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8_TURBO
It's pretty wide.
Surely the second edition isn't too wide?