Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Aug 2022, 21:51 (Ref:4122901)   #226
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
thats the assumption i to am curious about. unfortunately the extreme nature of a driver buyout suggest to me that they dont know what the problem is.

all things being equal tho, one could surmise OP will be on a low rookie level retainer and a buyout for DR would be similar to wage he would have gotten in 2023...so from Mclaren's point of view they would have been out this money either way but this way they can develop a new driver, one who may bring in points similar if not more to the underperforming driver he is replacing, at the same time.

if i was a more optimistic person then this is a win win.

guess im just not that optimistic about this.
DR will only get the full pay out if he sits out 2023. If he wants to drive for another F1 team he’ll have to compromise.
Old 15 Aug 2022, 22:17 (Ref:4122903)   #227
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
GreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
DR will only get the full pay out if he sits out 2023. If he wants to drive for another F1 team he’ll have to compromise.
Not 'compromise'.

I think the maths will work this way: If the agreement is that he gets (say) $x to quit McL, and he gets to drive somewhere (Team A) for $y, Macca pay $x-y, Team A pay y, DR gets $x. Win-Win-Win.

But who really knows, not me!

Old 15 Aug 2022, 22:24 (Ref:4122904)   #228
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
It just doesn’t work like that. I used the word compromise very deliberately.
Old 15 Aug 2022, 22:39 (Ref:4122905)   #229
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
Not 'compromise'.

I think the maths will work this way: If the agreement is that he gets (say) $x to quit McL, and he gets to drive somewhere (Team A) for $y, Macca pay $x-y, Team A pay y, DR gets $x. Win-Win-Win.

But who really knows, not me!

For sure other sports do it this way but they usually have some sort of mechanisms or agreement which prevents the departing player from signing with the next team for only $1.

No collective bargaining agreement or similar in f1 as far as I know but there may be a buyout clause in his contract…in which case there is no need to compromise. They already did that when they agreed to terms.

You are right though, we don’t really know about these details…which is also unusual for sports at this level. Kinda ridiculous really.
Old 16 Aug 2022, 02:55 (Ref:4122914)   #230
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
thats the assumption i to am curious about. unfortunately the extreme nature of a driver buyout suggest to me that they dont know what the problem is.

(
Given the difficulties with the car go back as far as Sainz, who joked with Riccardo about it, and that they have not even developed to Lando's driving style says to me they don't know what the problem is.
Old 16 Aug 2022, 13:24 (Ref:4122954)   #231
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
Given the difficulties with the car go back as far as Sainz, who joked with Riccardo about it, and that they have not even developed to Lando's driving style says to me they don't know what the problem is.
...or that they just have new problems.....
Old 16 Aug 2022, 21:27 (Ref:4122986)   #232
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
Every F1 car is difficult to drive on the limit.Ever hear Max on the radio?Or Lewis on the radio?
I think Carlos’s comments were meant as a humorous dig at Daniel and the difficulties he was having.Remember how well Carlos went in a McLaren.The Dan Fans have hung onto the comments like they are gospel.
Old 17 Aug 2022, 08:22 (Ref:4123009)   #233
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Seems this McLaren/Piastri/Alpine story will drag on for quite some time. So we'll have to wait a while for any official annoucement
Old 22 Aug 2022, 04:54 (Ref:4123402)   #234
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well might be an interesting F1 weekend comming up.
Alot of whispers I would expect.

Did I read Danny Ric commented that he would make comments regarding his current contract / drive prior to the weekends event.
Old 24 Aug 2022, 14:05 (Ref:4123588)   #235
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
CONFIRMED: Now where does he pop up Alpine or Haas ?????

https://www.speedcafe.com/2022/08/25...-mclaren-exit/
Old 24 Aug 2022, 15:08 (Ref:4123595)   #236
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Does this mean Colton Herta will join McLaren next year?
Old 24 Aug 2022, 15:10 (Ref:4123596)   #237
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
I predict for next season:

Red Bull - Max Verstappen / Sergio Perez
Mercedes - Lewis Hamilton / George Russell
Ferrari - Charles Leclerc / Carlos Sainz
Alpine - Esteban Ocon / Daniel Ricciardo
McLaren - Lando Norris / Oscar Piastri
Alfa Romeo - Valtteri Bottas / Zhou Guanyu
Haas - Kevin Magnussen / Mick Schumacher
Alpha Tauri - Pierre Gasly / Yuki Tsunoda
Aston Martin - Fernando Alonso / Lance Stroll
Williams - Alexander Albon / Nyck De Vries

The main question marks remaining are the second Alpine and second Williams, while the second Haas and Alpha Tauri are also not guaranteed. I really hope Schumacher stays, although it sounds as though that is far from certain.
Old 24 Aug 2022, 15:40 (Ref:4123599)   #238
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Does this mean Colton Herta will join McLaren next year?
I think they are just not going to announce Piastri until things are resolved with Alpine. But who knows maybe Herta is in the mix, but I sort of doubt he is their #1 choice of the options on the table. I would love to see Herta get the seat.

Its a game of musical chairs. Sometimes it is fast, sometimes slow. I think the Piastri/Alpine and Ricciardo/McLaren contract drama has slowed down what otherwise could have been a quick succession of announcements.

Richard
Old 24 Aug 2022, 15:43 (Ref:4123601)   #239
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post
I predict for next season:

Red Bull - Max Verstappen / Sergio Perez
Mercedes - Lewis Hamilton / George Russell
Ferrari - Charles Leclerc / Carlos Sainz
Alpine - Esteban Ocon / Daniel Ricciardo
McLaren - Lando Norris / Oscar Piastri
Alfa Romeo - Valtteri Bottas / Zhou Guanyu
Haas - Kevin Magnussen / Mick Schumacher
Alpha Tauri - Pierre Gasly / Yuki Tsunoda
Aston Martin - Fernando Alonso / Lance Stroll
Williams - Alexander Albon / Nyck De Vries

The main question marks remaining are the second Alpine and second Williams, while the second Haas and Alpha Tauri are also not guaranteed. I really hope Schumacher stays, although it sounds as though that is far from certain.
Hard to argue against any of this.

Richard
Old 24 Aug 2022, 15:46 (Ref:4123603)   #240
Richard C
Veteran

Potential for Giovinazzi in Haas next year? Haas planning to run him in FP1. I assume to see how he compares to current drivers.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...vzZl6nRr6.html

As mentioned in posts above, Schumacher's seat is not secure.

Richard
Old 24 Aug 2022, 21:40 (Ref:4123622)   #241
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Potential for Giovinazzi in Haas next year? Haas planning to run him in FP1. I assume to see how he compares to current drivers.
Nothing personal against him, but I hope this isn't an interview for 2023 - he's had his chance.
Having said that, I don't see the point testing someone unless they're paying for it, or you're evaluating them for a seat.
Old 25 Aug 2022, 07:22 (Ref:4123634)   #242
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
No surprise Danny is on his way out of McLaren. He's still a very good driver, but it just doesn't seem to be working out. It's a shame because he seemed to have turned a corner in the second half of last year. Maybe he'll do the same this time?

I can see his options for 2023 being Alpine, depending on the Piastri situation or Haas
Old 25 Aug 2022, 07:35 (Ref:4123640)   #243
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
No surprise Danny is on his way out of McLaren. He's still a very good driver, but it just doesn't seem to be working out. It's a shame because he seemed to have turned a corner in the second half of last year. Maybe he'll do the same this time?

I can see his options for 2023 being Alpine, depending on the Piastri situation or Haas
I reckon a straight swap with Piastri, with McLaren still paying DR's wages, so Alpine get a free driver.
Old 25 Aug 2022, 09:22 (Ref:4123642)   #244
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
I reckon a straight swap with Piastri, with McLaren still paying DR's wages, so Alpine get a free driver.
Word is Mclaren paid Riccardo 10Million, but if another team employs him, they pay him that less any wage he gets for the year.

EG- Alpine hire him for 7m, Mclaren only pay 3m.

Only a rumour though so as with all this, no clue if theres really any foundation to it
Old 25 Aug 2022, 09:57 (Ref:4123644)   #245
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
Word is Mclaren paid Riccardo 10Million, but if another team employs him, they pay him that less any wage he gets for the year.

EG- Alpine hire him for 7m, Mclaren only pay 3m.

Only a rumour though so as with all this, no clue if theres really any foundation to it
£20 nearer the mark
Old 25 Aug 2022, 11:14 (Ref:4123647)   #246
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
£20 nearer the mark
He'd struggled to get a decent steak and chips for that.
Old 25 Aug 2022, 11:27 (Ref:4123648)   #247
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
So are we assuming Alpine being more competitive than Haas (if available for Danny Ric)

Last edited by Sandgroper; 25 Aug 2022 at 11:35.
Old 25 Aug 2022, 11:59 (Ref:4123652)   #248
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgroper View Post
So are we assuming Alpine being more competitive than Haas (if available for Danny Ric)
Yes. Haas ditched any development last year to focus on the car for this year. Given their ongoing small budget I'd expect Alpine to be a far better prospect for the future.
Old 25 Aug 2022, 12:00 (Ref:4123653)   #249
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Yes. Haas ditched any development last year to focus on the car for this year. Given their ongoing small budget I'd expect Alpine to be a far better prospect for the future.
That was my thought and Alpine have acutally been rather competitive against Mclaren this year.
Old 25 Aug 2022, 12:22 (Ref:4123656)   #250
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Zero chance of that financially. The only way McLaren pay full whack is if DR doesn’t drive.