Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 19 Sep 2017, 14:46 (Ref:3768569)   #3001
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Yes that made me laugh as well . Thank you Bob
Old 19 Sep 2017, 15:08 (Ref:3768575)   #3002
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sincerely hope that Mrs Delta is making a comfortable recovery, with you lavishing attention to her every need.
Old 19 Sep 2017, 15:37 (Ref:3768579)   #3003
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Well done, mon ami Robert! Made me smile as well.
Old 19 Sep 2017, 19:41 (Ref:3768631)   #3004
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Every little helps Iain, so have another laugh on me.

[B]...A touching story on how men think ..
As she sat by him, he whispered, his eyes full of tears:* "You know what?
*You have been with me all through the bad times.
When I got fired, you were there to support me.
When my business failed, you were there.
When I got shot, you were by my side.
When we lost the house, you stayed right here.
When my health started failing, you were still by my side!
You know what Martha?"
"What dear?" she gently asked, smiling as her heart began to fill with warmth.
"I'm beginning to think you're *******g bad luck."
[/B]*
Old 20 Sep 2017, 22:12 (Ref:3768895)   #3005
owrforever
Rookie

United States
America's Dairyland
owrforever should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridowrforever should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Original Mile

Can anyone tell me what an "original mile" is? The auction houses are always talking about X car having X number of "original miles." I assume there can be only one "original mile." Figure it has to be located somewhere in the UK since you folks invented it. Is it the first mile from Parliament, or Buckingham Palace? Since there can be only one "original mile," what are all the other original miles that these auction houses declare? What is the standard for "low miles?" What's the cutoff? What are low, original miles? These questions keep me up at night!
Old 20 Sep 2017, 23:34 (Ref:3768923)   #3006
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by owrforever View Post
Can anyone tell me what an "original mile" is? The auction houses are always talking about X car having X number of "original miles." I assume there can be only one "original mile." Figure it has to be located somewhere in the UK since you folks invented it. Is it the first mile from Parliament, or Buckingham Palace? Since there can be only one "original mile," what are all the other original miles that these auction houses declare? What is the standard for "low miles?" What's the cutoff? What are low, original miles? These questions keep me up at night!
It's an optional distance measurement that can be used in place of a Genuine Mile.

An original mile is the equivalent of 10 Genuine Miles - or thereabouts.
Old 21 Sep 2017, 05:05 (Ref:3768986)   #3007
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
It's a measurement used by the motor trade and based on a calculation using bull ****.

Couple of nights ago I caught the Guy Martin prog when he was doing the wheel change for Williams at Spa. That's some pressure and fair play to him having a go. He seemed to really enjoy the cars and camaraderie as well....
Old 21 Sep 2017, 06:11 (Ref:3768990)   #3008
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Another phrase you'll often see on UK car adverts is "one lady owner". This is meant to imply that the car was been driven with care & well-treated... but of course you know different to that!!
Old 21 Sep 2017, 06:32 (Ref:3768994)   #3009
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
but of course you know different to that!!
Old 21 Sep 2017, 07:00 (Ref:3768997)   #3010
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I think an original mile is an old British Standard similar to The Firkin.
The Firkin was the British Standard measurement of excess. It was always used in units of two, as in Two Firkin big or Two Firkin heavy etc...
Old 21 Sep 2017, 07:04 (Ref:3768998)   #3011
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
It is quite simple really; Original miles are all of the miles the car has covered since new up until it being sold on, after that all following miles can be described as 'original miles'.

each added mile is of course the next original mile to be added to the total number of original miles covered since new.

Clear now?
Old 21 Sep 2017, 07:34 (Ref:3769005)   #3012
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
The Firkin was the British Standard measurement of excess.
Thanks Viva, even for a french stupido its Firkin clear now
Old 21 Sep 2017, 07:46 (Ref:3769010)   #3013
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Years ago a mate of mine who worked at McClaren asked if i wanted to go as a guest to British GP. I said sure but only if I can get involved with the pit stop.
Did not happen.
Old 21 Sep 2017, 07:51 (Ref:3769013)   #3014
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Another phrase you'll often see on UK car adverts is "one lady owner". This is meant to imply that the car was been driven with care & well-treated... but of course you know different to that!!
Quite right John, 'One careful owner' always carried an unwritten caveat..

"I don't know what the rest were like"
Old 21 Sep 2017, 10:20 (Ref:3769024)   #3015
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually it was an item in the additional parts available (and homologated) in the catalogues of Griffiths, E Types and Cobras in the mid sixties that could be kept in the boot (a bit like the rear spoilers on the Alfas likely to be used in BTCC a few years back) that could be attached at any time as these models evolved over the years and seen frequently today at Spa and Goodwood, etc.
Old 21 Sep 2017, 14:43 (Ref:3769083)   #3016
owrforever
Rookie

United States
America's Dairyland
owrforever should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridowrforever should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is "Two Firkin" equivalent to the American redneck, politically correct, salty expletive "Too *******'?" I assume a Firkin is in excess of a regular mile, equaling two miles. Would a one lady owner 1966 Chevelle 396 SS with 50,000 miles be allotted more Firkin credits than a 396 SS owned by a 18 year old, testosterone loaded male who drove his Chevy 5000 miles, a 1/4 mile at a time, say at 6000 rpm? Are his miles more "original" than her's?
Old 21 Sep 2017, 15:10 (Ref:3769092)   #3017
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Is "Two Firkin" equivalent to the American redneck, politically correct, salty expletive "Too *******'?" I assume a Firkin is in excess of a regular mile, equaling two miles. Would a one lady owner 1966 Chevelle 396 SS with 50,000 miles be allotted more Firkin credits than a 396 SS owned by a 18 year old, testosterone loaded male who drove his Chevy 5000 miles, a 1/4 mile at a time, say at 6000 rpm? Are his miles more "original" than her's?
The 18 year-old's 1/4-miles wouldn't count as they are not complete miles, so that would make his Chevy an "amazing zero-miles find"!
Old 21 Sep 2017, 15:48 (Ref:3769103)   #3018
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
I would hazard a guess that 'Original miles' are those registered prior to the speedo being 'clocked'.
Old 23 Sep 2017, 08:41 (Ref:3769400)   #3019
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suspect my neighbours think I've fallen on hard times and that my car has been repossessed! It's lease expired the other day and as arranged some guys came to collect it on behalf of BMW so the driveway is currently. I'm just waiting until someone happens to casually ask!

Might put a begging bowl outside the front door. 😀
Old 23 Sep 2017, 10:22 (Ref:3769408)   #3020
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
I suspect my neighbours think I've fallen on hard times and that my car has been repossessed! It's lease expired the other day and as arranged some guys came to collect it on behalf of BMW so the driveway is currently. I'm just waiting until someone happens to casually ask!

Might put a begging bowl outside the front door. 😀
Yes, always fun if a transporter arrives and loads your car up. Did you notice any curtains twitching? Leave an old bicycle propped up against the garage door to get full sympathy......
Old 23 Sep 2017, 11:44 (Ref:3769411)   #3021
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes a bit of curtain twitching Mike. The vehicle inspector had quite a loud voice and it was fairly early so I think they wondered what was going on. 😀
Old 23 Sep 2017, 11:56 (Ref:3769412)   #3022
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
In other news I see that Volvo have just launched their latest 4WD / SUV called an XC40 with the strap line 'Built For The City' - sort of reinforces the 'Chelsea Tractor' tag.
Old 23 Sep 2017, 22:31 (Ref:3769477)   #3023
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
The Future of Modified Historics

This may warrant its own thread but I'll start it here. Being the owner of an old Yank tank I venture onto forums that cater for the type. For those that aren't aware, from May next year there's going to be a rolling 40-year-old exemption for MOTs on cars of historic interest.

All very nice you might think but the catch is you'll need to self declare that the car hasn't been radically modified and must meet an eight point rule to qualify. Even if you can pass the eight point rule you can't have increased the power to weight ratio by more than 15%. This was passed into law last week so it is happening, the 15% part is still under discussion.

So now a lot of people are panicking as the general consensus is cars that don't qualify will be taken off the road, it's already happening when you apply for historic tax status although this is more to do with imports that aren't roadworthy at the moment, where they are being refused V5s.

It's not only the ordinary bloke that's affected as there is now an issue with an Aston that was modified at the heritage factory, although this seems to be a DVLA issue, link here.
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/aston...s-stuart-brown
Here are some links to the MOT situation, make of it what you will.
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...worthiness.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...e-guidance.pdf

It's all getting confusing with different Govt. departments making rules up, some of which seem to contradict their own thinking, nothing new there, so I was wondering what your thoughts are is it will affect any of us that have even slightly modified cars, race or not.
Old 25 Sep 2017, 00:46 (Ref:3769668)   #3024
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Don't you just be "economical with the actualite" (acute accent on the last letter) and claim all mods were pre-88............?
Old 25 Sep 2017, 08:30 (Ref:3769696)   #3025
Riley Blue
Rookie

England
Derbyshire
Riley Blue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Don't you just be "economical with the actualite" (acute accent on the last letter) and claim all mods were pre-88............?
As all that is required is a 'declaration' to that effect the problem, if it is one, is very easily solved, n'est se pas?