Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 18 Apr 2015, 16:58 (Ref:3528542)   #1
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The Mitty 2015- Road Atlanta 4/24-4/26

Schedule

Entry List

Event Page

I go to this event every year and am looking forward to this one coming up next weekend tremendously. Hopefully, the very wet weather we've been having will move on out so these enthusiasts can take their lovely machines out for all of us to enjoy.

Featured marque this year is BMW, in case you missed the event poster.

This is the first time I have seen that there is a waiting list for entries, so I hope that means lots and lots of special machines.

Just had a glance through the entry list and to give a taste of what we have in store: A 71 Tyrrell 002, 89 Aston Martin AMR-1 (Co driven by Brian Redman),73 Shadow DN1 F1 car, Old Champion Audi, LMP2 Porsche Spiders, the camp group favorite Buick Somerset of Larry Cope, my favorite 76 Chevy Monza, plus the plethora of MGs, Triumphs, Porsches (12 914s by my count), Datsuns, McLaren Can Ams, Lolas from a MkI to CART Cars, GTPs, stockcars, Mustangs, Corvettes, Camaros, Lotus, Morgans, sportsracers, open wheel machines from F1 to F3000 to Indy to CART and one entry that I don't think I've ever seen in person:
65 Cheetah (the guy lives in Kennesaw!)

I guess I could go on and on because as I keep sifting through the list, more and more keep jumping out at me.

There will be drivers/entries from as far as California, Canada and the UK.

This will be interesting to see if it works:
http://www.race-monitor.com/

I'll likely not get there until Saturday AM.
Old 21 Apr 2015, 01:20 (Ref:3529526)   #2
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The weather forecast for this weekend is beginning to look wet for Saturday, which would be very unfortunate. I'll just have to hope for some dry conditions.
Old 24 Apr 2015, 14:24 (Ref:3530491)   #3
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Getting ready to head over to the track around noon. Pretty extensive entry list. No Brian Johnson/Lola T-70 (must be getting ready for their tour). Did see a Mucha's DP-01 Champcar listed, can't wait to see/hear that car run.
Old 24 Apr 2015, 16:23 (Ref:3530529)   #4
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
By coincidence I read Road & Track this morning and the editor-in-chief, Larry Webster, wrote an article about rebuilding his Gurney Eagle Formula Ford. In order to finish the project and give himself a deadline, the car is supposed make it's return at the Mitty this year. Anyone know if it's there?
Old 25 Apr 2015, 15:55 (Ref:3530762)   #5
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Lots of rain overnight. Looks to be clearing, sort of. There's a least a dry line on track. Off track, however, is a soupy mess.

Hoping for the rain to stay away. Excellent collection of machinery on and off track.
Old 25 Apr 2015, 18:16 (Ref:3530791)   #6
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A little bit of sunshine and a light breeze. It's turning into a pretty day. The F1 race was excellent!
Old 26 Apr 2015, 02:27 (Ref:3530869)   #7
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
The last night race was epic.
Old 26 Apr 2015, 15:32 (Ref:3530940)   #8
adam46
Racer

United Kingdom
Isle Of Wight, UK.
adam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridadam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There's a Lola T97/30 on the entry list... That's the failed F1 project from 1997 -did it actually race this weekend?

It only matters if it has a motor...
Old 27 Apr 2015, 12:45 (Ref:3531161)   #9
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam46 View Post
There's a Lola T97/30 on the entry list... That's the failed F1 project from 1997 -did it actually race this weekend?
I don't recall hearing the driver's name on the entry over PA, but the HSR are pretty good about keeping records of events, so I'll check it out once they've released them. I believe his Oreca FLM made it out there.....

Speaking of PA, nice to hear Joe Bradley's voice covering the affairs of the weekend. That was a surprise!
Old 27 Apr 2015, 13:16 (Ref:3531175)   #10
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam46 View Post
I believe that is a misprint and should have been T97/20 which is a Lights car. There was a Lotus 76 which is much cooler.
Old 28 Apr 2015, 01:45 (Ref:3531350)   #11
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
The last night race was epic.
How long did they run in the dark? Vintage GT's ? Prototypes?
Old 28 Apr 2015, 02:55 (Ref:3531360)   #12
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by canamman View Post
I think each race was 20-25 minutes. The first race was vintage production at sunset. The second was protos and GTs. The prototype race was amazing as a Kudzu-Mazda and an R8 swapped the lead 15-20 times. It was awesome. The track was very dark too.
Old 28 Apr 2015, 12:29 (Ref:3531482)   #13
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Quote:
I think each race was 20-25 minutes. The first race was vintage production at sunset. The second was protos and GTs. The prototype race was amazing as a Kudzu-Mazda and an R8 swapped the lead 15-20 times. It was awesome. The track was very dark too.
It was indeed good stuff and by far, the best actual "race" I've ever seen at the Mitty. While the battle in the second race was awesome, seeing 911s with lightbars strapped to front bumpers was pretty neat, too.

The Masters Grand Prix F1 cars were still my highlight of the weekend for me. Awesome sound and excellent looks. I really hope they add the Mitty to next year's calendar.

And we did see the Cheetah on track, but didn't find it in the paddock. ********. Next year!
Old 28 Apr 2015, 13:57 (Ref:3531501)   #14
HJJ
Veteran

United States
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sorry I didn't hook up with y'all over the wekend. I went on Friday and on Saturday my wife tells me that she wants to go (shocked!). So, we spent quite a lot of time walking around the paddocks looking at the cars and chatting with people. Next time...

Anyone possibly up for a road trip to Indy for the SVRA event?
Old 29 Apr 2015, 15:09 (Ref:3531824)   #15
HJJ
Veteran

United States
http://www.sportscardigest.com/hsr-m...rt-and-photos/
Old 29 Apr 2015, 17:15 (Ref:3531854)   #16
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
Sorry I didn't hook up with y'all over the wekend. I went on Friday and on Saturday my wife tells me that she wants to go (shocked!). So, we spent quite a lot of time walking around the paddocks looking at the cars and chatting with people. Next time...

Anyone possibly up for a road trip to Indy for the SVRA event?
Oh I see! We aren't "wife introducing material".
Actually, I get that.

I got to the paddock more than every before, but somehow still missed half of what was down there.

And not a chance in hell I am driving back across the country to Indy for anything but the 500.

Thanks for the link! Pictures are excellent. Hopefully, JHammy will post some too. He's always done well with the lens.

They called Boris "Bruno" one time!

And from the article, I've seen this too many times.
biblical rain flooding the track with rivers of red Georgia soil
It was a pleasant surprise to have it all clear out though.
Old 30 Apr 2015, 00:23 (Ref:3532010)   #17
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
That's cool! The Tyrrell in the header was my favorite car there, I think.

I only took photos for two races in turn 1. I haven't processed them yet as I have to pick up my puter from Tony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post

And we did see the Cheetah on track, but didn't find it in the paddock. ********. Next year!
Sorry man, it must have been in the lower paddock. I was about to pass out from hunger. I rolled out of bed, opened a Monster and walked down there.

I did see a '05 T2 GTO pass it however...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Oh I see! We aren't "wife introducing material".
Actually, I get that.
Old 30 Apr 2015, 03:08 (Ref:3532038)   #18
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Sorry man, it must have been in the lower paddock. I was about to pass out from hunger. I rolled out of bed, opened a Monster and walked down there.
I was done at that point too, but damn, we covered some ground and would've thought we saw most of everything....apparently not.
Old 30 Apr 2015, 10:57 (Ref:3532129)   #19
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I spent last night watching 2015 Mitty youtubes last night.
That was a good Mitty crowd.

Then I stumbled on the full movie of Le Mans. Watched
the first hour of that. Youtube is like a black hole.
Old 30 Apr 2015, 14:04 (Ref:3532203)   #20
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
I spent last night watching 2015 Mitty youtubes last night.
That was a good Mitty crowd.

Then I stumbled on the full movie of Le Mans. Watched
the first hour of that. Youtube is like a black hole.
Yes it is.

I had a couple videos that i thought of posting but they aren't any where close to the quality of some of the in cars out there.

Good stuff.