Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 18 Jan 2021, 15:56 (Ref:4029861)   #401
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Air movement to wind and sails are way different and much more complicated, because you have to take in count the reaction of the forces applied on the keel. Not forgetting that the sails work like a wing, intrados and extrados, and that the jib influences the main sail…*That's why some boats can go faster than the wind.

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-...r-drafting.htm
Old 18 Jan 2021, 15:58 (Ref:4029863)   #402
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
This is one of the things keeping me from going "Stir Crazy". Filming through the closed kitchen window
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX7ZHlo-p7A
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 18 Jan 2021, 16:01 (Ref:4029865)   #403
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Yes I did note who put it on, it could do with a bit of colour/exposure work I could do it for you
Haha. It did try and play about with it but the footage was uploaded from a dvd i received which in itself had already been transferred from a VHS with apparent tracking issues!

This stuff is total gold dust. Still looking for the 2nd half of '81 and the whole '82 season.

I know it's out there!!
Old 18 Jan 2021, 16:36 (Ref:4029884)   #404
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
I get the impression that Nascar (in particular and due to the nature of the oval races) have a feel for the way that bumper to bumper racing is somewhat beneficial in Aero terms to both cars (or, in deed, all cars in a line.)

However what if, somehow, it would be possible to create an Aero shape that acted in conjunction with local air movements to provide forward momentum? (Whilst at the same time generating a horribly messy air wake to prevent others benefiting as well)?

OK, Physics probably makes that impossible and ground level effects of air movement are not the same as wind and sails.

By comparison DRS is a very blunt tool. Just a reverse air brake really.
As an aside, when you watch the velodrome pursuit races, they use 20% less energy at the back of the line than at the front, so the giys have quite a good rest.

I once joined a "peloton" of my local club riders around Castle Combe Circuit, I could keep up with the group in the slipstream but when it became my turn to take the lead I couldn't ride fast enough to get to the front

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 18 Jan 2021, 17:22 (Ref:4029901)   #405
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
As an aside, when you watch the velodrome pursuit races, they use 20% less energy at the back of the line than at the front, so the giys have quite a good rest.

I once joined a "peloton" of my local club riders around Castle Combe Circuit, I could keep up with the group in the slipstream but when it became my turn to take the lead I couldn't ride fast enough to get to the front

When I was racing karts back in the **** [ was it that long ago?] .
Did mostly the motor racing circuits with a gearbox class . Slipstreaming was quite important , even with our very low profile .
Depending on various factors , we could pick up a tow from 10 to 20 yds behind . You would feel it suddenly getting faster , close up on the one in front , back off the throttle until the right amount before the next corner , then full power would slingshot you past .

Then someone had the bright idea of closing up until you touched their rear bumper , [ only with someone you could trust ], then full power again and the both of you could go far quicker together than possible just by yourself .
This had some quite amazing effects until the RAC/MSA/ MSUK decided that pushing at 120 to 150 MPH was not considered safe so they put a ban on it .
But it was fun for a time .
Old 18 Jan 2021, 18:01 (Ref:4029906)   #406
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Then someone had the bright idea of closing up until you touched their rear bumper , [ only with someone you could trust ], then full power again and the both of you could go far quicker together than possible just by yourself .
This had some quite amazing effects until the RAC/MSA/ MSUK decided that pushing at 120 to 150 MPH was not considered safe so they put a ban on it .
But it was fun for a time .[/QUOTE]

Believe me it still happens.
Old 18 Jan 2021, 19:01 (Ref:4029918)   #407
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
Believe me it still happens.
We do.
Old 18 Jan 2021, 20:52 (Ref:4029930)   #408
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's exactly why the nose cones of karts these days incorporate a special clamp so that when you "persuade" someone to go faster it slides inwards. At the end of the race any driver with the front fairing not properly lined up gets a five second penalty which cannot be appealed.

What used to happen in the rolling starts was that the whole grid loaded the kart ahead resulting in the front row ending up in the tyres at turn 1!

Old 18 Jan 2021, 21:26 (Ref:4029934)   #409
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Just imagine if F1 could do something similar with their Aero technology and find extra speed whilst making it impossible for anyone to pass.

They have, Grant. They're called Mercedes.
Old 19 Jan 2021, 07:52 (Ref:4029974)   #410
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
It's exactly why the nose cones of karts these days incorporate a special clamp so that when you "persuade" someone to go faster it slides inwards.
Assuming it can only slide once, five seconds is the total of penalty. Does this persuade your drivers to push a lot of times? Once is five seconds, ten times five seconds, push once and get nine free sounds like bargain.
Old 19 Jan 2021, 08:34 (Ref:4029980)   #411
midgetman
Veteran

Yes that's what tends to happen, nose cone drops and it's "sod it, need to find five seconds". Either that or the side pods get used a lot more.

To be honest kart racing is so close in the pack that you can't gain five seconds back. One time MiniMM was 0.3 seconds off fastest lap and it was 22nd quickest!

Old 19 Jan 2021, 09:00 (Ref:4029983)   #412
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Phew, this is close racing! Just out of my curiosity, how tall is "mini" MM?
Old 19 Jan 2021, 10:29 (Ref:4029989)   #413
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Phew, this is close racing!
That's why I choose to Steward Karts, 30 something races in a day and as much 'action' as you want.
Old 19 Jan 2021, 10:42 (Ref:4029994)   #414
midgetman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Phew, this is close racing! Just out of my curiosity, how tall is "mini" MM?
185cm. Crucially I top him by 2cm, so he's always "Mini" to me. Neither of us is built for kart racing

Old 19 Jan 2021, 10:45 (Ref:4029995)   #415
midgetman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
That's why I choose to Steward Karts, 30 something races in a day and as much 'action' as you want.
I've always felt if something like the British Championship were televised it would be good entertainment. If one race is boring there's a fresh one along in 8 minutes. They also deserve more spectators at the events, it's a heady cocktail of rubber and 2 stroke - some of it is even vegetable based for us old beggars who remember Castrol R.

Old 19 Jan 2021, 11:27 (Ref:4030004)   #416
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
"R" scent was great but could this oil increase the octane level? Using it in a four-stroke was quite a hassle if I remember well.
I wonder what kind of vegetable can imitate the castor smell… Jamaican?
Old 19 Jan 2021, 11:48 (Ref:4030006)   #417
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It's exactly why the nose cones of karts these days incorporate a special clamp so that when you "persuade" someone to go faster it slides inwards. At the end of the race any driver with the front fairing not properly lined up gets a five second penalty which cannot be appealed.

What used to happen in the rolling starts was that the whole grid loaded the kart ahead resulting in the front row ending up in the tyres at turn 1!

Most of the gearbox class races would have clutch starts .
Except possibly Cadwell Park which sometimes had rolling starts , and with a normal 50 on the grid it did get very busy for the first lap or two.
But generally a clutch start would give less congestion in the first few corners .
Old 19 Jan 2021, 11:50 (Ref:4030007)   #418
midgetman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
Most of the gearbox class races would have clutch starts .
Except possibly Cadwell Park which sometimes had rolling starts , and with a normal 50 on the grid it did get very busy for the first lap or two.
But generally a clutch start would give less congestion in the first few corners .
Yeah to be fair the long circuit gearbox karts don't have the drop down nosecone.
Old 20 Jan 2021, 08:03 (Ref:4030187)   #419
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
185cm. Crucially I top him by 2cm, so he's always "Mini" to me. Neither of us is built for kart racing

Funny you say that, I'm 1.89, Zef Jr, last time we went karting was 1.78, and 20kg lighter, and getting faster. I'm still a few inches above, but he's catching me up in every respect.
Old 20 Jan 2021, 13:34 (Ref:4030244)   #420
midgetman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
Funny you say that, I'm 1.89, Zef Jr, last time we went karting was 1.78, and 20kg lighter, and getting faster. I'm still a few inches above, but he's catching me up in every respect.
I'm never going to beat MiniMM in a kart of course, but we went to Wiscombe Hill Climb in the ZR last year and let's just say he was shocked how far he was off my pace. Old dog, life in the, yet.

Old 20 Jan 2021, 14:15 (Ref:4030255)   #421
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm signed up for petrol price alerts, and have noticed that since Christmas the price of unleaded has been slowly creeping upwards, and is now about 6 pence more a litre than it was, after the price had remained static for many weeks.

Being a curious soul, I googled why the price was rising as world prospects in the immediate future don't look all that rosy due to the pandemic, although things are bound to improve during the summer in the northern hemisphere. According to a number of websites, it would appear that many dealers and hedge funds have become very bullish about the future, and have therefore been buying forward vast quantities of oil and derivatives, thereby pushing up the price.

As these people, when they do something like this in tandem, rarely get it wrong, seem to be optimistic about the future, one must be encouraged that we may be able to turn the corner fairly shortly.
Old 20 Jan 2021, 14:22 (Ref:4030257)   #422
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
We went to Wiscombe Hill Climb in the ZR last year and let's just say he was shocked how far he was off my pace.
La critique est aisée mais l'art est difficile. Taaaa!
Old 20 Jan 2021, 14:32 (Ref:4030261)   #423
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I'm signed up for petrol price alerts, and have noticed that since Christmas the price of unleaded has been slowly creeping upwards, and is now about 6 pence more a litre than it was, after the price had remained static for many weeks.

Being a curious soul, I googled why the price was rising as world prospects in the immediate future don't look all that rosy due to the pandemic, although things are bound to improve during the summer in the northern hemisphere. According to a number of websites, it would appear that many dealers and hedge funds have become very bullish about the future, and have therefore been buying forward vast quantities of oil and derivatives, thereby pushing up the price.

As these people, when they do something like this in tandem, rarely get it wrong, seem to be optimistic about the future, one must be encouraged that we may be able to turn the corner fairly shortly.

https://markets.businessinsider.com/commodities/oil-price

Brent has been going up for a while now.
Old 20 Jan 2021, 14:44 (Ref:4030267)   #424
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
For Bauble, re the jab.

According to Dr Phil Hammond, writing in the latest issue of Private Eye, he was given his vaccination at work in his hospital. He experienced mild side effects which he states is a good sign that the immune system has responded to the vaccine. However, his and his colleagues' side effects all passed within 48 hours; the side effects tended to be worse for those that had already had Covid-19.
Old 20 Jan 2021, 17:34 (Ref:4030301)   #425
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
For Bauble, re the jab.

According to Dr Phil Hammond, writing in the latest issue of Private Eye, he was given his vaccination at work in his hospital. He experienced mild side effects which he states is a good sign that the immune system has responded to the vaccine. However, his and his colleagues' side effects all passed within 48 hours; the side effects tended to be worse for those that had already had Covid-19.
One jab or two so far?

I have seen a US medic suggest the responses to his second jab were more noticeable than the first, though not especially significant for a person of his age (about 40 I would estimate.)
Closed Thread