Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Dec 2007, 15:55 (Ref:2089546)   #26
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
To turn the concept around, maybe there are some relatives of racing drivers who hate the sport - maybe some who are rampant environmentalists? Still, having a relative killed while racing doesn't seem to put people off - Jacques Villeneuve and Markus (and Joachim) Winkelhock for example.
Old 15 Dec 2007, 16:15 (Ref:2089557)   #27
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by EERO
The Speraficos (Sperifici?)
Sadly Rafael was killed in a horrible racing accident...
Old 15 Dec 2007, 16:33 (Ref:2089570)   #28
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
To turn the concept around, maybe there are some relatives of racing drivers who hate the sport - maybe some who are rampant environmentalists? Still, having a relative killed while racing doesn't seem to put people off - Jacques Villeneuve and Markus (and Joachim) Winkelhock for example.
Yes poor Rafael Sperafico's accident in Interlagos last weekend was horrific and a stark reminder that our sport is dangerous and that a lot of people, relatives included, do not get involved for that reason.

If its OK with everyone, let's not get the thread diverted into the area of deaths in racing though.
Old 15 Dec 2007, 20:03 (Ref:2089667)   #29
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I've seen this all the time over the years and IMHO you "normally" get the sons of drivers (especially mediocre ones )given loads of money by the old man to make up for their own shortcomings.
OK I know that the (good) ones do as well !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 15 Dec 2007, 22:10 (Ref:2089695)   #30
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yep, I believe talent doesn't come with "the package", it's a separate gene. You can have all the support and grow in the track, that can make one above the average, you know, discipline, persistence and dedication can make a good professional. But that won't give you the genius plus.
Old 15 Dec 2007, 22:27 (Ref:2089702)   #31
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I think you can perfect a skill, but talent comes from a much higher place..
Old 15 Dec 2007, 22:29 (Ref:2089703)   #32
alonso11
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest
alonso11 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Yea I completely agree, growing up in a racer family doesnt make you talented it just gets you involved.

In fact, if you browse this list (a rather complete one) wiht family relations in racing, you'll soon find out that "1 real talent per family" is what they have in most of the cases.
Old 16 Dec 2007, 22:08 (Ref:2090128)   #33
jnr blue 91
Rookie

United Kingdom
jnr blue 91 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER
I've seen this all the time over the years and IMHO you "normally" get the sons of drivers (especially mediocre ones )given loads of money by the old man to make up for their own shortcomings.
OK I know that the (good) ones do as well !
did somebody mention the mansells>?
Old 17 Dec 2007, 10:33 (Ref:2090412)   #34
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Speaking as a son of UK racing family I would say it is in these genes in as far as hand eye co-ordination, reaction times and competitiveness but I also think it is the seed that is sown in your head that excites/ignites you to go racing and you wouldn't necessarily get that unless you were "over" exposed to racing.

My grandfather was a good club driver until he had an accident in '59 and never raced again and wouldn't allow my Dad to race (he only ever watched Dad race once), hence when my Dad did race he was a late starter. My Dad's youngest brother raced but as he worked for his Dad (my Granddad) it was always heavily frowned upon and money was tight but he won races and probably could have gone on to be very successful with some more financial support.

When my parents divorced I was only 3 but it meant every weekend was with my Dad and that meant every weekend was racing!! He would never encourage me to go racing as he had seen too many fathers push their kids into racing when they weren't interested, he couldn't afford to help me financially and he said I wouldn't be as a good as him so why bother!!

As you can imagine I've always wanted to go racing and until it was something I could afford to do myself there was no chance and it isn't helpful having a "famous" relation, sometimes it's more of a hindrance, well, that’s what I’ve found so far. I will never be as successful as my father but does that mean I am a worse driver?? I know I'm not as good but that's not my point, as my father was better than his father, so it doesn't alwats work like that.

Without being controversial I also think racing in the UK racing is a class thing and it was only in the 60/70s that it became more acceptable and attainable to more people and therefore you now see more sons and daughters of then you did before then, which also goes back to the “we may have missed the most gifted driver…” thread, as more people are racing now than before. Yes, you can say Jack Brabham or Graham Hill etc were more successful than their sons but does that mean they were better drivers?? I’m not sure but we will never know (completely different eras, like comparing Schumacher to Fangio) and I just don’t think it’s as simple as black and white stats.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 11:31 (Ref:2090443)   #35
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It'd be interesting to look at complex cases - for example, Ed Carpenter is Tony George's stepson (no nature links, only nurture), whereas any children Max Papis has would also be grandchilden of Emerson Fitipaldi (two-sided genetic link).
Old 17 Dec 2007, 12:50 (Ref:2090490)   #36
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
I think the frequency of multiple drivers from one family all racing is due more to nurture than nature. When a relative races while you are growing up, you are exposed to it early, get to meet the right people, and your name inspires potential sponsorship and other support. You also get more allowances for poor performances for a while; people want to believe that you can keep the Schumacher/Andretti/Rosberg/Fittipaldi legacy going (this isn't aimed as a dig at any of those drivers, just a general observation). For example, John Button didn't race at a particularly high level, or in anything really resembling Formula One, but his support and enthusiasm rubbed off on his son. Indeed, Jenson and Jarno Trulli were both given motorsport-related names.
Exactly. Someone like Jacques Villeneuve didn't particularly shine in his early years of touring cars, Italian F3 etc and most other drivers with his results wouldn't have progressed much or wouldn't have had the opportunity to develop their talent. Having the Villeneuve name opened doors for Jacques, without a doubt, and allowed him to to acheive the success that he did. Same goes for Damon Hill.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 13:02 (Ref:2090501)   #37
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gilles and Jacques. Jacques didn't really shine in any series other than snowmobile racing despite trying CART and F1 as well, did he?

Fear not, fear not, I'm talking about Jacques Sr.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 14:14 (Ref:2090544)   #38
Red Bulldog
Racer

Canada
Beaver Bank, NS
Red Bulldog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jacques and Gilles and a Hill.
Isn't the basis of a nursery ryhme?
Old 17 Dec 2007, 14:59 (Ref:2090565)   #39
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
I'd reckon is about 20% Genes, 80% Environment. Genetics tend to lead to predispositions rather than destinies. If racing drivers were not brought up in racing families, there genetic predispositions would probably lead them to lifestyles with similar characteristics. I bet you would find a lot of them would be firefighters, soldiers, pilots, mountaineers etc. Physical jobs requiring good co-ordination, determination, fitness etc.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 15:10 (Ref:2090569)   #40
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graz
Also in this day and age it doesn't take exceptional talent to reach F1 - Lavaggi, Rosset, Gounon, Raphanel, Ito, Nakano etc. etc. were not exceptional talents but had a bundle of cash - a good substute to a strong surname.
Those three showed talent in lower classes that made them worthy of an F1 chance, Gounon the standout of the three. Should'nt be classed with the others you mention.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 15:16 (Ref:2090573)   #41
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red
Gilles and Jacques. Jacques didn't really shine in any series other than snowmobile racing despite trying CART and F1 as well, did he?

Fear not, fear not, I'm talking about Jacques Sr.

Jacques sr drove for Shierson in Atlantics and was pretty damn quick as far as I recall, also a Champion in Can-am or race winner at the very least if memory serves me well.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 17:41 (Ref:2090665)   #42
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Jacques Sr. wasn't bad but no where near Gilles (who was?). He did have an attitude though.
For a dynasty look at the Kinser clan in Sprint cars. There is the 'King" Steve, of course, but there is his father, his son and many assorted relatives. The Kinsers alone could probably fill a grid.
Old 18 Dec 2007, 13:14 (Ref:2091256)   #43
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by alonso11

In fact, if you browse this list (a rather complete one) wiht family relations in racing, you'll soon find out that "1 real talent per family" is what they have in most of the cases.
What is to me, remarkable about this list is the surprisingly large number of daughters who have followed their fathers into racing. Brava!
Old 18 Dec 2007, 13:29 (Ref:2091269)   #44
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's one to look for in the future, his father was a F1 driver and his mother has won several kart GP's in her time:

he's won the Dutch and Belgian karting championships this year: Max Verstappen

http://www.verstappen.nl/picture_alb...NAF,_Amsterdam
Old 18 Dec 2007, 19:46 (Ref:2091476)   #45
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Never give up Steve !!
Old 19 Dec 2007, 06:33 (Ref:2091737)   #46
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi
Never give up Steve !!
it might take a few years, but the talent seems to be there(he's 10 years old)
Old 22 Dec 2007, 17:28 (Ref:2093849)   #47
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was thinking today - there's gotta be something in either the genes or water in Finland for the amount of Finns that fly per capita
Old 22 Dec 2007, 23:59 (Ref:2093951)   #48
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstallard
I was thinking today - there's gotta be something in either the genes or water in Finland for the amount of Finns that fly per capita
In the water and in the ice...
Old 23 Dec 2007, 09:53 (Ref:2094049)   #49
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Or in the Vodka??
Old 18 Feb 2008, 19:23 (Ref:2132038)   #50
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Time to add another name to the list of son's (and Grandson) of Formula One World Champions who have taken up racing - Joshua Hill, he has been testing a Ginetta Junior at Snetterton over the weekend.