Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Jun 2011, 01:13 (Ref:2897685)   #1
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The TGF thread

Seeing as the other one was closed.

So? Flash in the pan because of the conditions or a return to form for Schumacher?

It was nice seeing him finally deliver a drive worthy of his reputation. Seeing him tool around was getting a little embarrassing. During the wet part of the race he was really ringing it out and looked right on it. Also his defense was solid and were it not for the DRS I suspect he'd have gotten 2nd.

I am tending to lean towards "Flash in the pan" simply because he is yet to do anything like this in the dry but we'll see.
Old 13 Jun 2011, 01:23 (Ref:2897693)   #2
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
What have you done this time?
Old 13 Jun 2011, 01:25 (Ref:2897696)   #3
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He was looking mighty in Monaco on fresh tyres before the car broke down too. I think its fair to say that had he not had the retirement there then he would be ahead of Nico now in the points.

The Mercedes is such a dog of a car though, today was the best we've seen of it but you can see it just fail miserably once conditions start to improve. It's prehaps the best car out there though when it's semi-wet.
Old 13 Jun 2011, 07:26 (Ref:2897797)   #4
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I must admit that I'm certainly not a fan of the man (have I mentioned that before?), but thought his performance yesterday was excellent, his masterful car control shone out.
I even found myself hoping that he'd manage to get onto the podum, or better still win the race, (but maybe that was tainted by my predicition that he'll retire on the spot should that ever happen...).
Old 13 Jun 2011, 10:32 (Ref:2897917)   #5
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Since Spain, Schumi has upped his performance. Monaco was disappointing for him, he could have had a good race there, if the car hadn't gone bang on him! Canada showed that his wet weather skills were still good. It remains to be seen if he can keep up this level of performance though. The Mercedes needs to improve. It has a decent engine, good DRS and Ross Brawn, so the ingredients are there to make a good car. Still conceivable that Schumi could retire at the end of the season though, if things don't work out. I saw an interview with Rossi yesterday and he reckoned that taking such a long time out of racing might have blunted Schumi's racing skills.
Old 13 Jun 2011, 20:04 (Ref:2898341)   #6
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good showing, and the wet showed Shumi has the talent and a bad car, and kobyashi has load of it and an even worse car.
What makes a car so terribly off pace?
I don't t hink its a flash, shumi is getting the groove bck.
Old 14 Jun 2011, 12:57 (Ref:2898815)   #7
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Changing climatic conditions have always been a great leveller and so it was on Sunday.

Schumi's car control and race craft at the weekend was absolutely top drawer. He was passed on the straight as if he was standing still by the Red Bull and the McLaren deploying DRS... yet he still managed to make Mark Webber take several attempts to get by him... truly masterful. Its fairly evident that the Merc is a dog compared to the front three or four cars. Imagine Schumi had been in a Red Bull on Sunday ? He may not be the driver he was a decade ago but my God he's still one incredible driver.
Old 14 Jun 2011, 15:54 (Ref:2898898)   #8
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
We'll see what he can do next time.

Up until now, he only had one really good race (and this was an excellent one), and that is not enough.

There are many more who have one standout race and fail to deliver on that promise in the other races. (Sutil and Maldonado at Monaco)

We'll see what Schumacher can do in the next few races, and judge then.
Old 14 Jun 2011, 18:44 (Ref:2898991)   #9
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post

Up until now, he only had one really good race (and this was an excellent one), and that is not enough.

There are many more who have one standout race and fail to deliver on that promise in the other races. (Sutil and Maldonado at Monaco)

Ahem... he's won 91 races and 7 championships... what more do you need to see to 'judge' him
Old 14 Jun 2011, 21:52 (Ref:2899101)   #10
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Changing climatic conditions have always been a great leveller and so it was on Sunday.

Schumi's car control and race craft at the weekend was absolutely top drawer. He was passed on the straight as if he was standing still by the Red Bull and the McLaren deploying DRS... yet he still managed to make Mark Webber take several attempts to get by him... truly masterful. Its fairly evident that the Merc is a dog compared to the front three or four cars. Imagine Schumi had been in a Red Bull on Sunday ? He may not be the driver he was a decade ago but my God he's still one incredible driver.
Exxakkerly!

Add his car sorting and team building skills!
Old 18 Jun 2011, 14:17 (Ref:2901419)   #11
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It was nice to see him do well in Canada and I was actually disappointed he didn't end up on the podium. I sense DRS ruined that for him.

It's good to see him go quicker. Most people don't want to see him do badly (I hope). A slow Schumacher is a pointless addition to Formula 1.

He was a bit cheeky with Hamilton at the hairpin though.
Old 18 Jun 2011, 16:53 (Ref:2901501)   #12
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post

Add his car sorting and team building skills!
It took him 5 years (would have been 4 had it not been for a broken leg) to build the team and car (around himself). If they allow Nico (providing he doesn't go to Ferrari) to also build the team/car they may get there abit quicker, but that 4/5 years puts him at 45/46 years old (i think), i don't think that he or the team can wait that long.
Old 18 Jun 2011, 17:13 (Ref:2901515)   #13
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
It took him 5 years (would have been 4 had it not been for a broken leg) to build the team and car (around himself). If they allow Nico (providing he doesn't go to Ferrari) to also build the team/car they may get there abit quicker, but that 4/5 years puts him at 45/46 years old (i think), i don't think that he or the team can wait that long.
The guy is purely out there to have fun... he's done all he needs to do in terms of building teams around himself and winning championships.
Old 18 Jun 2011, 17:31 (Ref:2901524)   #14
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
The guy is purely out there to have fun... he's done all he needs to do in terms of building teams around himself and winning championships.

The fun factor yes and to help in developing the car...
Old 18 Jun 2011, 22:18 (Ref:2901626)   #15
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post

Maldonado did a pretty good job for his first visit, sensible qualy and ran quite well in the race whilst his strategy allowed, he is definitely on an upwards trajectory in learning versus form but it's true he needs to be continually beating Rubens.

It's fair to say that Schuey is getting better, if he can perform nearly as well as Canada regularly then he will be reasonably happy as i'm sure he knows deep down that is the best he can hope for.

Last edited by chunterer; 18 Jun 2011 at 22:34.
Old 18 Jun 2011, 22:23 (Ref:2901632)   #16
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Rubbish, he said, last year when interviewed, that he came back to win. And basiclly criticized DC, live on TV when he (DC) said he was doing DTM for a bit of fun.
Old 18 Jun 2011, 22:47 (Ref:2901643)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Rubbish, he, said, when, interviewed, that, he, missed, enjoying, just, driving, F1, cars.
Old 18 Jun 2011, 23:46 (Ref:2901654)   #18
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Nico may be the one to get the WDC out of the efforts in the end, but it will certainly be achieved a whole bunch earlier with MSC's input!

Without Schumacher's input it probably would never have happened.
Old 18 Jun 2011, 23:47 (Ref:2901655)   #19
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Rubbish, he, said, when, interviewed, that, he, missed, enjoying, just, driving, F1, cars.
That would be my recollection of what he said too.
Old 19 Jun 2011, 12:58 (Ref:2901841)   #20
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
With the commas?

Old 19 Jun 2011, 14:37 (Ref:2901870)   #21
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sounds like unfinished business...
Old 19 Jun 2011, 15:11 (Ref:2901884)   #22
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Nico may be the one to get the WDC out of the efforts in the end, but it will certainly be achieved a whole bunch earlier with MSC's input!

Without Schumacher's input it probably would never have happened.
Of course, Michael's input can only help, but building a team for 2 drivers may just get them there quicker in my opinion.
Old 19 Jun 2011, 15:58 (Ref:2901895)   #23
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I don't care what his motives are as long as he isn't just fooling around.

I don't think he is. I'm enjoying watching his final years.

I think a lot of the criticism he gets for his come back isn't about his come back at all but Schuey critics getting their revenge for his tricks and his domination of yesteryear.

I'm not even that great a fan of Schumacher overall but he shouldn't be displeased that he came back and its good to see him thirsty for some more success.
Old 19 Jun 2011, 22:21 (Ref:2902114)   #24
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Our reflexes are at their best when we are in our teens and twenties, though older people can maintain their reflexes more if they stay alert and exercise regularly.

Also, reflexes often reflect our adrenaline, and young people are more high strung and adrenaline oriented than older people.

Schumacher probably doesn't realise you simply can't turn the clock back!
Old 19 Jun 2011, 22:33 (Ref:2902120)   #25
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman View Post
Our reflexes are at their best when we are in our teens and twenties, though older people can maintain their reflexes more if they stay alert and exercise regularly.

Also, reflexes often reflect our adrenaline, and young people are more high strung and adrenaline oriented than older people.

Schumacher probably doesn't realise you simply can't turn the clock back!

I am sure he does, and he is super fit...