Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Jul 2011, 10:23 (Ref:2924468)   #1
herowassenna
Veteran

herowassenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Which teams have NASA tech in their cars?

Dear old Nigel Mansell was being interviewed on the BBC yesterday during qualifying.
They were trying to get information out of him due to his being the Fia steward at this race.

He wouldn't give too much information on the current situation with blown diffusers, but he mentioned about some teams using Nasa developed carbon fibre which is heat resistant.

Does anybody know anything about this?
Old 10 Jul 2011, 11:44 (Ref:2924489)   #2
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by herowassenna View Post
Dear old Nigel Mansell was being interviewed on the BBC yesterday during qualifying.
They were trying to get information out of him due to his being the Fia steward at this race.

He wouldn't give too much information on the current situation with blown diffusers, but he mentioned about some teams using Nasa developed carbon fibre which is heat resistant.

Does anybody know anything about this?
The shuttle leading edges are made from Reinforced Carbon Carbon (RCC) which is inredibly heat resistant. I think the braked discs are made of the same stuff. As I understand it a component is made in a fairly conventional carbon composite and then it is heat treated to convert the resin to carbon giving a heat resistant carbon component with a special and very strong internal structure.
Old 10 Jul 2011, 14:14 (Ref:2924557)   #3
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourWheelDrift View Post
The shuttle leading edges are made from Reinforced Carbon Carbon (RCC) which is inredibly heat resistant. I think the braked discs are made of the same stuff. As I understand it a component is made in a fairly conventional carbon composite and then it is heat treated to convert the resin to carbon giving a heat resistant carbon component with a special and very strong internal structure.

Additionally gas is fed through the material at high temperature to form carbon in the pockets created by the primary heating phase (used to reduce the binder to carbon)
Old 10 Jul 2011, 17:29 (Ref:2924655)   #4
St00ge
Veteran

St00ge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2011/...t-is-possible/

???
Old 11 Jul 2011, 01:18 (Ref:2924860)   #5
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by St00ge View Post
"It seems that the idea of having composite exhaust piping has already been blocked by the FIA, as far as I can understand it (as this is not stuff that is announced publicly)."

This is just plain sad - pinnacle of engineering indeed. Even the piping is regulated!
This is the type of stuff that should be being developed inside the engines. Not bloody batteries!
Old 11 Jul 2011, 11:14 (Ref:2925020)   #6
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
This is the type of stuff that should be being developed inside the engines. Not bloody batteries!
That's going to be one hell of an expensive engine!

This stuff may get you a tenth of a second off your lap time, but I would imagine that it's a long way off becoming a standard fitting on a Kia Picanto or any other road car for that matter. Another unnecessary expense that possibly only the 'geekier' side of F1 would ever know about. It doesn't send out the same message that things like KERS do. Nor would it have the same impact on a road cars performance.
Old 11 Jul 2011, 12:19 (Ref:2925047)   #7
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
That's going to be one hell of an expensive engine!
The ford Zetec engine cost £4billion to develop. (And that is/was pants when first out), but was put in to road cars costing much less.

It's the initial development that costs the money - once you mass produce you get the price right down, and this sort of materials tech is what *could* make F1 engines more relevant to road cars.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 11 Jul 2011, 12:49 (Ref:2925060)   #8
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post

It's the initial development that costs the money - once you mass produce you get the price right down, and this sort of materials tech is what *could* make F1 engines more relevant to road cars.
Well the 'Zetec' engine isn't that much different to any other road car engine out there. It's still made from the same basic things that engines have been made from for a long time. Mainly due to costs. Does Mr Average really need carbon composite pistons in his 1.6 diesel? Ferrari 458...maybe, but not necessary.

I think the reason for the restrictions on 'unobtainium' products in F1 engines is quite a good one.
Old 11 Jul 2011, 13:10 (Ref:2925065)   #9
luke g28
Racer

luke g28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridluke g28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I disagree.

These are the sort of things that f1 should be developing. Yes the very first uses of it are going to be very expensive for minimal gains, but you have to start somewhere and without change progress is impossible.
Old 11 Jul 2011, 14:23 (Ref:2925086)   #10
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
are we talking about developing new concepts here or simply applying technologies and materials from other areas and bringing it into F1. surely borrowing is more cost effective and in no way diminishes f1 as the pinnacle if those ideas are being borrowed from truly advanced projects like the ones that come out of NASA.

on a slightly different note are there any people with NASA/ESA experience working in F1?
Old 11 Jul 2011, 14:47 (Ref:2925096)   #11
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Well the 'Zetec' engine isn't that much different to any other road car engine out there. It's still made from the same basic things that engines have been made from for a long time. Mainly due to costs. Does Mr Average really need carbon composite pistons in his 1.6 diesel? Ferrari 458...maybe, but not necessary.

I think the reason for the restrictions on 'unobtainium' products in F1 engines is quite a good one.
But what if using those materials in a road car engine improved fuel consumption by 5%. Then it would be worth developing (if possible) in to a mass market product, hence becoming 'obtanium'. F1 could be a place where stuff like this could be tried, to see if it is worthwhile doing.

I'm thinking that a composite exhaust system could be made for road cars - much lighter, and you can make it in to shapes that are not possible in metals. That may immediately give you some advantage over the usual materials.

Remember that until fairly recently titanium was pretty unobtainable, as was carbon fibre! Now the cars are made almost exclusively from them, and both are making slow inroads in to more road friendly cars.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Old 11 Jul 2011, 15:40 (Ref:2925117)   #12
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I haven't completely read the thread so sorry if I'm repeating anything but I was under the impression that NASA are using carbon fibre (and other technology) developed in F1, correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 11 Jul 2011, 15:55 (Ref:2925131)   #13
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
Here is an article from BBC on F1 technology that has moved to other areas.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14046449

Not exhaustive by any means!
Old 11 Jul 2011, 16:02 (Ref:2925139)   #14
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
I haven't completely read the thread so sorry if I'm repeating anything but I was under the impression that NASA are using carbon fibre (and other technology) developed in F1, correct me if I'm wrong.
I think technology has probably crossed in both directions .

The thread started out with Reinforced Carbon Carbon used for shuttle leading edges and F1 brake discs, NASA certainly had it before F1 although who invented it I don't know. On the shuttle the infamous tiles are used where the temperature is below 1260 Centigrade, anywhere that get's hotter than that it's RCC, maximum temperature on the shuttle is over 1500 C, that's hot enough to melt most rocks!
Old 11 Jul 2011, 17:06 (Ref:2925153)   #15
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
But what if using those materials in a road car engine improved fuel consumption by 5%. Then it would be worth developing (if possible) in to a mass market product, hence becoming 'obtanium'. F1 could be a place where stuff like this could be tried, to see if it is worthwhile doing.
What if it doesn't? What if the only real benefit you get is from using 5% more fuel?

Quote:
I'm thinking that a composite exhaust system could be made for road cars - much lighter, and you can make it in to shapes that are not possible in metals. That may immediately give you some advantage over the usual materials.
I suppose that you would have to weigh the cost of such a system against the advantages to be had from it. Currently, 'mild steel' seems to be the material of choice, because its cheap, light enough and does the job just fine in 99.9% of most road car applications. And has done for some time now. Again, it may gain you a little more street cred on your Ferrari 458.

Quote:
Remember that until fairly recently titanium was pretty unobtainable, as was carbon fibre! Now the cars are made almost exclusively from them, and both are making slow inroads in to more road friendly cars.
Carbon fibre is still expensive stuff, and probably doesn't have enough of a benefit on most road cars to outweigh the cost of them being made entirely from it. Aluminium is far cheaper, and has a very good cost/weight ratio.

Carbon fibre isn't perfect, either. It can absorb water, degrade due to oxidation and heat. It will also lose its strength over time, and minor knocks and scrapes don't often show just how much weaker the material has become.
Old 11 Jul 2011, 17:14 (Ref:2925156)   #16
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourWheelDrift View Post
I think technology has probably crossed in both directions .

The thread started out with Reinforced Carbon Carbon used for shuttle leading edges and F1 brake discs, NASA certainly had it before F1 although who invented it I don't know. On the shuttle the infamous tiles are used where the temperature is below 1260 Centigrade, anywhere that get's hotter than that it's RCC, maximum temperature on the shuttle is over 1500 C, that's hot enough to melt most rocks!
RCC has been used on aircraft brakes since the 80's
Old 11 Jul 2011, 17:49 (Ref:2925176)   #17
neiltb
Racer

Scotland
toronto
neiltb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and therefore on the shuttle from the late 70s at the latest.