Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Jul 2014, 06:41 (Ref:3435354)   #26
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
I think we will see sanctions ramped up significantly against Russia and will Mercedes for example want be seen whooping it up whilst Germany is part of EU sanctions?

As for Petronas, I doubt they will want to go near the place or be represented there.
Old 20 Jul 2014, 06:13 (Ref:3435714)   #27
JacobP
Racer

JacobP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
Approximately 100 commercial flights every day. Authorised by Ukraine air traffic control and supported by the European commercial aviation authority.
Well, then if this is true, these traffic control authorities will have to answer some serious questions.
Old 20 Jul 2014, 09:21 (Ref:3435741)   #28
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Where Sochi is located and the race timing I could imagine teams would look at it as partial flyaway race. In other words the cars and all the race stuff would be fly in but they could bring their 'motorhomes' and other stuff by road. However if the tension between Russia and the Ukraine increases this might become unfeaseable as the shortest road routes woud be through Ukraine other wise it it would add a few days to the travel time.
Old 21 Jul 2014, 05:27 (Ref:3436104)   #29
JacobP
Racer

JacobP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It has been already mentioned that Sochi GP is going to be a logistic nightmare. Teams will have to fly there immediately after the Japanese GP. The Sochi airport, as well as others within +100 mile radius can't accept the 747 jumbo jets that travel with the Formula 1 circus.
Old 21 Jul 2014, 08:24 (Ref:3436148)   #30
billybanana
Veteran

billybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbillybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simple solution is not to go there then. If it does go ahead would any of the potential winning drivers have the bottle to say anything against Russia ?

In an ideal world Rosberg or Hamilton could get on the podium and say "on behalf of Petronas I would like to dedicate this win to the victims of MH17". Unfortunately I don't think either of them have the balls to do it.
Old 21 Jul 2014, 09:00 (Ref:3436162)   #31
naca
Racer

naca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Where Sochi is located and the race timing I could imagine teams would look at it as partial flyaway race. In other words the cars and all the race stuff would be fly in but they could bring their 'motorhomes' and other stuff by road. However if the tension between Russia and the Ukraine increases this might become unfeaseable as the shortest road routes woud be through Ukraine other wise it it would add a few days to the travel time.
I don't think they will be taking their motorhomes, quick google maps route shows it would take about 52+ hours of continuous driving from Silverstone, which would probably mean it would take them about 60+ to get there. Turkey was about 36 to 40 and they where complaining about driving there so I don't think 60 would be too popular. I don't think the Teams would want their multimillion dollar motorhomes going close to warzones either as the main road they'd need to take is only 50 km from where to aircraft got shot down. Shipping it would probably be an easier task !
Old 21 Jul 2014, 09:31 (Ref:3436171)   #32
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by naca View Post
I don't think they will be taking their motorhomes, quick google maps route shows it would take about 52+ hours of continuous driving from Silverstone, which would probably mean it would take them about 60+ to get there. Turkey was about 36 to 40 and they where complaining about driving there so I don't think 60 would be too popular. I don't think the Teams would want their multimillion dollar motorhomes going close to warzones either as the main road they'd need to take is only 50 km from where to aircraft got shot down. Shipping it would probably be an easier task !
However a lot of the motorhomes will not have been used since the Italian GP so there will have been plenty of time to get them there. Also the motorhomes will not be need until May 2015. It would be different if there was only a short gap between the other European GP's and Sochi.
Old 21 Jul 2014, 10:07 (Ref:3436179)   #33
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybanana View Post
Simple solution is not to go there then. If it does go ahead would any of the potential winning drivers have the bottle to say anything against Russia ?

In an ideal world Rosberg or Hamilton could get on the podium and say "on behalf of Petronas I would like to dedicate this win to the victims of MH17". Unfortunately I don't think either of them have the balls to do it.
This when the FIA should step in and make the decision for the teams, sponsors and drivers so they don't end up in this position. You would wait for ever for FOM or BE to call it off as they are only interested in the finances.

If it upsets Russia and F1 doesn't go back there, so what -plenty of other venues desperate to welcome FOM, or so BE keeps telling us.
Old 21 Jul 2014, 10:30 (Ref:3436184)   #34
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
This when the FIA should step in and make the decision for the teams, sponsors and drivers so they don't end up in this position. You would wait for ever for FOM or BE to call it off as they are only interested in the finances.

If it upsets Russia and F1 doesn't go back there, so what -plenty of other venues desperate to welcome FOM, or so BE keeps telling us.
In all fairness to BE and the FIA, it is not their role to anticipate what governments may or may not want, they do what is best for their business; moot point; and leave the rest to governments and their legislators.
Old 21 Jul 2014, 16:38 (Ref:3436307)   #35
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
In all fairness to BE and the FIA, it is not their role to anticipate what governments may or may not want, they do what is best for their business; moot point; and leave the rest to governments and their legislators.
agree with this. its not the FIA or F1's place to pass judgement on Russia and as long as Russia doesnt try to use the event to inflame regional tensions (like the Turkish govt tried with their race several years ago) then i am ok with it going forward. it is after all just a race and not the solution to geopolitical crisis.

of course if western gov't chose to impose sanctions and/or issue travel advisories then i am also fine with this race not happening at all.
Old 21 Jul 2014, 16:59 (Ref:3436316)   #36
Tucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Brighton
Tucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's a tricky situation because officially whatever's happening in Ukraine doesn't involve Russia as it's separatists in Ukraine (even though we know it does). Unlike Bahrain there's no risk to the safety of the teams at Sochi. What's happening is more of a political battle and sports generally try and stay out of politics. I don't think there will be government sanctions that would stop teams going to Sochi, but I wouldn't be surprised if some sponsors asked not to be advertised on the cars. I'm certain this has happened before but can't for the life of me remember which GP right now.
Old 21 Jul 2014, 17:21 (Ref:3436326)   #37
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
for political reasons i would guess the last South Africa GP during Apartheid years would have been a race where sponsors didnt want their logos shown?

which not to diminish the loss of life on MH17 or the trouble in the region, but this situation on the Russian boarder is not near to the size or scope of Apartheid and lets hope it never gets there.

Last edited by chillibowl; 21 Jul 2014 at 17:26.
Old 22 Jul 2014, 08:48 (Ref:3436570)   #38
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
There are some F1 people & sponsors who do not want to see F1 in Russia after the loss of MH17. It is also suspected that Bernie will want to go to Sochi regardless with all the effort he has put in ti make the deal happen.

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2014/...y-grandstands/

http://www.pitpass.com/52114/Will-MH...to-think-again
Old 22 Jul 2014, 09:17 (Ref:3436581)   #39
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Quote:
There are some F1 people & sponsors who do not want to see F1 in Russia after the loss of MH17. It is also suspected that Bernie will want to go to Sochi regardless with all the effort he has put in ti make the deal happen.

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2014/...y-grandstands/

http://www.pitpass.com/52114/Will-MH...to-think-again
I'm sure BE will want it to go ahead regardless as you say.

The potential pressure on Mercedes to take a position may ease as according to UK press reports, our Prime Minister is not gaining the European support for further sanctions he hoped - particularly from the German government who fear that the 'gas tap' may be turned off and the French who are busy selling warships to Russia at the moment and don't want to Jeopardise the deal. Although Mercedes posiiton is complicated by their principal sponsor being Petronas, who I am sure have their own views on this.

So, F1 seemingly has two positions it can take.

1. Go ahead as planned on the basis that F1 is non-political and not in a position to take a standpoint and thereby run the risk that it is alternatively seen as putting money before anything else. But BE is not worried about the perception of F1 or any possible PR fallout as F1 does not do PR.

2. Cancel the race and risk the wrath of Putin and the supposed Russian investors that some teams are courting - notably Sauber. But gain plaudits for taking a stand and creating a public humiliation for Putin, by losing a flagship event.

You can see it is always going to be option 1...probably.

Which is why it should be the FIA as ultimate owners of the championship who should take a position and remove commerical considerations from the equation. IMO.
Old 22 Jul 2014, 09:27 (Ref:3436585)   #40
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mercedes AMG F1 don't have to go to Russia.

They could boycott Russia and still win both the constructors and drivers championship.
Old 22 Jul 2014, 10:42 (Ref:3436602)   #41
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post
Mercedes AMG F1 don't have to go to Russia.

They could boycott Russia and still win both the constructors and drivers championship.
I do believe that you will find that all the teams are contractually obliged to participate in all rounds of the FIA World Championship; they are not free to attend just those that suit them or their sponsors.
Old 22 Jul 2014, 11:02 (Ref:3436609)   #42
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
However a lot of the motorhomes will not have been used since the Italian GP so there will have been plenty of time to get them there. Also the motorhomes will not be need until May 2015. It would be different if there was only a short gap between the other European GP's and Sochi.
it's a nice idea, but the team buildings were complete at sochi a while ago. for races in russia teams have to completely itemise everything in each truck (down to tools and random items) and bring everything back with them. only exceptions are obvious consumables. you do, of course, have to do the itemising with air and sea shipments anyway but i can only imagine the world of pain doing it for a truck full of random bits of metal and hostility kitchen equipment would cause.

bear in mind that when the wsr teams go to russia they travel in a 50-odd truck convoy with an armed guard with a selection of small firearms on the passenger seat and a sub-machine gun in the boot. it's not the threat from the bandits (criminals?) that worry the guys, they're more concerned about what happens if the armed guard goes rogue. but then going it alone with £1million worth of truck and kit wouldn't be a great idea either.

that all sounds very overstated and unrealistic and most of the time it's perfectly safe. the only thing that gives away much of the hospitality unit traffic is the uk registered truck units. but the "threat" is different to western europe, and has to be accounted for accordingly. on that basis it'd be a whole load of wasted money taking your own units out there.

/cool story bro
Old 22 Jul 2014, 18:33 (Ref:3436739)   #43
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Also reports that sanctions on Russia may impact on Sirotkin's Sauber F1 funding/buy in.
Why? Sauber is based in neutral Switzerland.
Old 22 Jul 2014, 19:12 (Ref:3436754)   #44
Moneyseeker
Veteran

But is seeking Russian investors....
Old 22 Jul 2014, 20:57 (Ref:3436792)   #45
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I do believe that you will find that all the teams are contractually obliged to participate in all rounds of the FIA World Championship; they are not free to attend just those that suit them or their sponsors.
Bernie gives his word on a contract he will keep to the contract unless it is beyond his control. Unless he is told he can't, he will.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/3...er-russian-gp/
Old 23 Jul 2014, 10:57 (Ref:3436994)   #46
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
Bernie gives his word on a contract he will keep to the contract unless it is beyond his control. Unless he is told he can't, he will.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/3...er-russian-gp/
The general lack of comment within Motorsport and its associated media on this topic astounds me.
Old 23 Jul 2014, 11:14 (Ref:3436999)   #47
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
really? i don't think it's wise to comment about something as politically sensitive as this unless there's a decent command of the facts and figures. which is something that we still don't have.

they'd be foolish and/or amateurish to issue any statements until they know what to say.

and i think the obsession with needing to express condolences regardless of involvement in an accident or incident is a little out of hand.
Old 23 Jul 2014, 11:19 (Ref:3437001)   #48
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
really? i don't think it's wise to comment about something as politically sensitive as this unless there's a decent command of the facts and figures. which is something that we still don't have.

they'd be foolish and/or amateurish to issue any statements until they know what to say.

and i think the obsession with needing to express condolences regardless of involvement in an accident or incident is a little out of hand.
Since when has not having the facts stopped the media writing a good story?
Old 23 Jul 2014, 12:06 (Ref:3437012)   #49
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
which is EXACTLY why no comment so far from the organisation, teams and businesses involved in f1 and motorsport is the right thing to do. even if you get your pr people to write something non-committal and get the lawyers to comb through it someone somewhere in the press will interpret it in a way that creates a story that isn't there.

they've learnt from the bahrain issues, clearly.
Old 23 Jul 2014, 19:30 (Ref:3437115)   #50
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post

The Russian GP is roughly 80 days away from now. While more and more details will continue to show up as time progresses, will there be a definitive version of the truth that "everyone" can accept? Any statement (including non-statement) now or later will imply a political position. Even then, if we wait for "official" answers, I expect investigations and publication of results to take a number of months (and IMHO, will not radically be different than what we know/suspect today). By then the rage will have subsided (except for those directly impacted), the race will be days away and cancellation unlikely.

If now is not the time to talk about it, then when? If it is not discussed now, the topic is sadly going to fade into the background and it will just be another historical footnote for the Wikipedia article on the 2014 Russian GP.

My prediction... the race will continue as the large players just want this to go away, and pretending it doesn't exist might actually work.

Richard