Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Jul 2014, 18:42 (Ref:3432242)   #1
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Are 18 inch wheels a good thing?

I have read a little about the test at Silverstone which saw 18 inch wheels trialled.It might look like the proportions of the wheels and tyres fitted to road cars,but is it all good?For starters the weight of the wheel and tyre assembly is 4 kilos heavier.They hardly ever become detached these days,but if one of these larger rotating assemblies should fly off,the potential for damage has to be greater.

In addition,the larger wheel rim would permit the use of larger brakes.While the greater weight of the wheel and tyre would more easily be slowed by the larger brake disc,there may be other concerns.I have read of dragster drivers suffering detached retinas after years of violent deceleration and they only use the chute once per run for a small number of runs over a weekend.

I also wonder what shape the future chassis would have to take to make best use of the characteristics of the proposed tyre.Would aerodynamics continue to dominate the suspension geometry?
Old 9 Jul 2014, 18:51 (Ref:3432243)   #2
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No. They look absolutely hideous. Beyond all of the other things you've pointed out, there just isn't much need short of opening up a tire war again.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 9 Jul 2014, 19:06 (Ref:3432244)   #3
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hideous? Really?

Every design change over the years has been meet with split opinions. Even the ones with some unanimity are soon forgotten - stepped noses, proboscises and so on.

I think the 18" wheels look fine, myself.
Old 9 Jul 2014, 19:22 (Ref:3432247)   #4
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think prototype racing already uses 18" wheels? Seems to work there? It also seems so counter to what F1 should be about as I expect a significant amount of spring (and some damping) comes via the existing tires (think of them as spec suspension components). I assume that with a shorter sidewall that the actual suspension will do more of the work. It probably also makes it harder for a given tire company to design (old tire) as it is so specialized? Overall, I think the current diameter is a throwback without much of a reason to exist today?

With that being said, they do look very odd. But... I expect we will get used to it quite quickly. Who talks about those ugly noses anymore?!

Richard
Old 9 Jul 2014, 19:42 (Ref:3432253)   #5
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
not as technically minded as others here, but dont larger tires mean decrease in fuel efficiency or is that just for road cars or just some old wives tale?

if it is the same then its sort of contrary to the whole green thing going on no?

anyways from what i have seen i like the look.
Old 9 Jul 2014, 19:47 (Ref:3432257)   #6
karting
Racer

karting should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Looks good to me
Old 9 Jul 2014, 20:23 (Ref:3432276)   #7
TheNo1F1Fan
Veteran

Denmark
TheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Old 9 Jul 2014, 21:02 (Ref:3432283)   #8
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
not as technically minded as others here, but dont larger tires mean decrease in fuel efficiency or is that just for road cars or just some old wives tale?
I don't know if they increase the weight or not (OP says more). Heavier and/or moving weight away from the center of the wheel would hurt (from an acceleration/deceleration perspective)

Richard
Old 9 Jul 2014, 21:11 (Ref:3432288)   #9
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Information about the weight from here; http://www.pitpass.com/52025/Success...s-18-inch-tyre
Old 9 Jul 2014, 21:34 (Ref:3432292)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
P38, presumably there are no plans to increase the maximum brake disc size?

chillibowl, I don't think they are suggestion larger tyres (radius or width), just lower profile.

I suppose it can be used to justify inappropriately sized wheels/tyres for road cars.
Old 9 Jul 2014, 22:06 (Ref:3432297)   #11
jee
Rookie

Denmark
jee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
P38, presumably there are no plans to increase the maximum brake disc size?
There is no maximum size in the rulebook, they are only limited by rim size.
Old 9 Jul 2014, 22:09 (Ref:3432299)   #12
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
PI suppose it can be used to justify inappropriately sized wheels/tyres for road cars.

So true. I am at a total loss to understand why manufacturers and the car-buying public sacrifice so much refinement and ride quality for some perceived improvement in handling that cannot be used under modern road conditions.
Old 9 Jul 2014, 22:16 (Ref:3432300)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jee View Post
There is no maximum size in the rulebook, they are only limited by rim size.
The maximum allowed is 278mm diameter (and 28mm thick). Rule 11.3.2.
2014 F1 technical regs
Old 9 Jul 2014, 22:16 (Ref:3432301)   #14
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I suppose it can be used to justify inappropriately sized wheels/tyres for road cars.
That is so true, I think most cars with 18" rims look rather silly...

Why is F1 thinking of doing this??
Old 9 Jul 2014, 22:18 (Ref:3432302)   #15
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think it looks fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post

So true. I am at a total loss to understand why manufacturers and the car-buying public sacrifice so much refinement and ride quality for some perceived improvement in handling that cannot be used under modern road conditions.
Because it looks better! And you should pull off the stock rims and go +1. Always the first thing I ruin... I mean do when I buy a new car.
Old 9 Jul 2014, 22:21 (Ref:3432305)   #16
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
That is so true, I think most cars with 18" rims look rather silly...

Why is F1 thinking of doing this??
It depends on the car, but for the most part 18" looks too small to me.
Old 10 Jul 2014, 00:14 (Ref:3432331)   #17
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
It depends on the car, but for the most part 18" looks too small to me.
Do these rims come with Dr Dre headphones because they are complete rubbish..
Old 10 Jul 2014, 00:31 (Ref:3432332)   #18
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The teams will have to invest in new suspensions, which will have to take the bulk of the 'give' that was previously taken by the big bag of the tyre. Damper technology will become even more critical... more money more money...

But.. that kind of development can filter back into road cars. There arent too many new cars for sale today with a 13" wheel rim that is getting on for a foot wide in tread... however 18" wheels seem to be de rigeur for lots of new cars on sale

My last 2 came equipped with 18" from the factory... neither of which rides as well as you might like, while the grip and feel is outstanding.

A move to market relevance? Like hybrid?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 10 Jul 2014, 01:09 (Ref:3432334)   #19
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Do these rims come with Dr Dre headphones because they are complete rubbish..
lol... not trying to be offensive and making a huge assumption, but maybe it's generational? I have 19s on a car and 20s on a truck. I think it looks right. I'm not talking about a donk, anything bigger than 20 is too big.
Old 10 Jul 2014, 01:23 (Ref:3432337)   #20
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
Information about the weight from here; http://www.pitpass.com/52025/Success...s-18-inch-tyre
I don't think you can read anything into the weight P38:

" With the concept tyre designed principally to showcase aesthetics rather than performance, and a general-purpose compound, lap times were not the focus. Instead, the objective was to gauge reaction to the very different new design, which received the thumbs up from most observers."

A large rim with a low profile tyre properly designed should always be lighter than the same diameter wheel with a high profile tyre. I guess they just machined up a handy set of aluminium road wheels to do the demonstration laps!

The low profile tyres provide a bigger more stable contact patch for the same wheel diameter, and would avoid the tyre resonance issues, you sometimes see huge tyre shake in the super slow motions after a wheel jumps a kerb.

The only reason that super low profiles are not the best road tyres is that the public roads are not smooth and full of ruts and potholes which the low profile tyres cannot absorb because of their lack of depth in the side wall to cushion road shock.

On a perfect surface there is no question that a low profile setup is the way to go.
Old 10 Jul 2014, 01:28 (Ref:3432338)   #21
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Hideous? Really?

Every design change over the years has been meet with split opinions. Even the ones with some unanimity are soon forgotten - stepped noses, proboscises and so on.

I think the 18" wheels look fine, myself.
Yes really. The cars are super ugly already....this doesn't help.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 10 Jul 2014, 01:41 (Ref:3432342)   #22
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
lol... not trying to be offensive and making a huge assumption, but maybe it's generational? I have 19s on a car and 20s on a truck. I think it looks right. I'm not talking about a donk, anything bigger than 20 is too big.
I was just being silly, but I am not sure I understand why we need these rims ??
Old 10 Jul 2014, 01:42 (Ref:3432343)   #23
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
A large rim with a low profile tyre properly designed should always be lighter than the same diameter wheel with a high profile tyre. I guess they just machined up a handy set of aluminium road wheels to do the demonstration laps!
Thank goodness, I'm not going crazy!

I was thinking with a whole lot of rubber being replaced by, well, nothing, and a little more metal needed to make the wheel, the whole thing should be lighter, not heavier.

I'm used to 16's on a small car, and I think they look nice. I have thought the F1 tire to wheel proportions have looked rather old fashioned for many years.

With relatively out of control air-filled rubber being replaced by highly-refined dampers, the lower profile should give a little better corning.

I vote thumbs up.
Old 10 Jul 2014, 01:42 (Ref:3432344)   #24
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post

" With the concept tyre designed principally to showcase aesthetics rather than performance, and a general-purpose compound, lap times were not the focus. Instead, the objective was to gauge reaction to the very different new design, which received the thumbs up from most observers."

The low profile tyres provide a bigger more stable contact patch for the same wheel diameter, and would avoid the tyre resonance issues, you sometimes see huge tyre shake in the super slow motions after a wheel jumps a kerb.

The only reason that super low profiles are not the best road tyres is that the public roads are not smooth and full of ruts and potholes which the low profile tyres cannot absorb because of their lack of depth in the side wall to cushion road shock.

On a perfect surface there is no question that a low profile setup is the way to go.
I think you just explained why thank you..
Old 10 Jul 2014, 01:42 (Ref:3432345)   #25
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
I compare it to headlight stickers in Nascar. Pirelli wants to show something that looks like you and I buy.

Correction... something I would buy.