Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 12 Jan 2018, 19:24 (Ref:3792346)   #31
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
See?

Even at 6-0/235+++, most SUVs/Crossovers are worthless to me. I drove a compact car to Savannah and back in one day last month and I think I'm waiting for the circulation to get fully back in my right leg....

Everything was manual 'cept the tranny right? I learned to drive in a full manual inline 6, 4 on the floor 71 Suburban with three doors, not counting the rear fan ones...I still miss the "Big Nasty" as she was very lovingly referred too.
Nope, 454 with 4 speed tranny with granny gear first. Only assist was power ASSISTED steering, was still tough but when it died you just hoped you hit a ditch not another car.
It was fun while it lasted, have enjoyed the people I've met but the measuring contests and arguments over who's more insider and who's smarter has just made it not worth the effort any longer. It should be fun, not work and it's just work to find actual information.
Old 12 Jan 2018, 19:36 (Ref:3792347)   #32
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Nope, 454 with 4 speed tranny with granny gear first. Only assist was power ASSISTED steering, was still tough but when it died you just hoped you hit a ditch not another car.
Ha! "power assisted" = we'll give you a little help

No power steering on the 71 but you had a steering wheel as wide as a dinner table and big enough to lean and put some weight into it.

Check this out. One of the cleanest I've seen in a minute. Same styling, minus the tailgate motor, tranny. My dad's was "Georgia Power Yellow" and a 4x2, but had the same hubcaps

https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0516-24...olet-suburban/

Sorry JH, Hijacking your thread for a moment. ^that is a "like" new truck.
Old 12 Jan 2018, 19:46 (Ref:3792348)   #33
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Ha! "power assisted" = we'll give you a little help

No power steering on the 71 but you had a steering wheel as wide as a dinner table and big enough to lean and put some weight into it.

Check this out. One of the cleanest I've seen in a minute. Same styling, minus the tailgate motor, tranny. My dad's was "Georgia Power Yellow" and a 4x2, but had the same hubcaps

https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0516-24...olet-suburban/

Sorry JH, Hijacking your thread for a moment. ^that is a "like" new truck.
Oh the 85's wheel was still giant, think they stole it from old steam ships.

And that's better than that truck ever looked new.
It was fun while it lasted, have enjoyed the people I've met but the measuring contests and arguments over who's more insider and who's smarter has just made it not worth the effort any longer. It should be fun, not work and it's just work to find actual information.
Old 13 Jan 2018, 02:36 (Ref:3792402)   #34
JHamilton
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Question for the Americans here (Broadrun and JHamilton especially seem to know their stuff!) - I know absolutely ZERO about pickup trucks, and in the UK they're relatively rare.

Why are pickups important in the US, and what features are considered the important ones? And why am I so skeptical over the Tesla pickup, despite supporting the electric car movement. Is that a viable option?

Genuine questions from someone who has never sat in a truck.
I'd say the most important feature in a pickup is the bed...

sorry.

That's the real answer too though. I hauled a bunch of building materials back to a supplier yesterday and took two clients to lunch today, all in quiet comfort. That sounds like a commercial, but it's the truth! I didn't get trucks until I owned one, but now I can't imagine not having one. How will I get to the race track?

Pickups are an excellent value. If you want a regular cab with a vinyl bench seat, you can have it and if you want a suede headliner and leather saddle bags on the back of the seat, you can have that too. I wouldn't but other people do. You can order pretty much whatever you want and will never see the same truck side by side.

The performance is bananas. Tow ratings from 9-30,000 lbs, payload capacities up to 7,000 lbs, and off road many would dust off a Range Rover for a 3rd of the price. My truck is just over 20ft long, weighs nearly 3 tons and will hurtle to 60mph in 6.5 seconds. The Raptor is now a trim level on the F-150, so now you can just check the box for 'trophy truck'.

They are what American car companies build best. Everyone one of them is tough as nails, including the Toyotas and Nissans. This brings me to a potential Tesla pick up. The impression I have of the Teslas I have been around is they are not built particularly well. If it is to be full size, and it really needs to be, it has to be tough. It's a tough market too, look at Toyota and Nissan. They're very capable trucks but have never been able to put a significant dent into the big 3 because something just misses the mark - styling, interior, etc. I think that would be more difficult to overcome in the immediate future than even the electric technology.
Old 13 Jan 2018, 02:44 (Ref:3792403)   #35
JHamilton
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I've heard these to talk more about trucks and vehicles in Turn 4 at Road Atlanta then I almost care to so I've avoided this thread for a minute
Oh I'm sorry, I didn't mean to bore you talking about cars and trucks at Road Atlanta. How careless of me.

Look what Dale Jr posted today! It's a dealer in Minnesota that are painting these as Cheyenne's. The wagon wheels are great.

Old 13 Jan 2018, 03:02 (Ref:3792407)   #36
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Oh I'm sorry, I didn't mean to bore you talking about cars and trucks at Road Atlanta. How careless of me.

I kid with you and I learn a lot from y'all but y'all nerd out really quick on me.
Quote:
Look what Dale Jr posted today! It's a dealer in Minnesota that are painting these as Cheyenne's. The wagon wheels are great.

Now that's what I'm talkin bout! That's bad ass! The wheels are fantastic!
Old 13 Jan 2018, 15:25 (Ref:3792490)   #37
JHamilton
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA

Hmmmmm
Old 13 Jan 2018, 17:27 (Ref:3792509)   #38
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridNaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridNaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Here in Uruguay, if you have a Honda CR-V or a Toyota Hilux, you are reasonably well off.
Old 13 Jan 2018, 19:01 (Ref:3792521)   #39
JHamilton
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Here in Uruguay, if you have a Honda CR-V or a Toyota Hilux, you are reasonably well off.
I'm not sure how to respond to that. In many respects it's the same here except the Hilux is quite a bit more expensive than a CR-V.
Old 13 Jan 2018, 23:37 (Ref:3792568)   #40
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Ram announcement is Monday, but looks like that will be the final look of the 1500. Have to say, I like it. Just sadly the outdoorsman was discontinued in 2016 so no chrome free truck left for me.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
Old 14 Jan 2018, 00:51 (Ref:3792595)   #41
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Found the schedule, Ford is up tomorrow afternoon. Ram Monday morning and Jeep Tuesday morninghttp://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5a5ab76b...l_WebFinal.pdf

Old 14 Jan 2018, 01:01 (Ref:3792596)   #42
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Chevy announcement came this evening, including the early and cross platform announcement of a 3.0L in line 6 diesel for 1500, HD and mid duty trucks. For me offering a non- world moving diesel in a 2500 truck is HUGE. Fuel economy and load rating without more torque than you'll ever use but in a frame that can handle more than a 1500 when needed.

Yeah, that's the fancy pants line of truck but that's an American truck interior.

Old 14 Jan 2018, 01:32 (Ref:3792597)   #43
JHamilton
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Chevy announcement came this evening, including the early and cross platform announcement of a 3.0L in line 6 diesel for 1500, HD and mid duty trucks. For me offering a non- world moving diesel in a 2500 truck is HUGE. Fuel economy and load rating without more torque than you'll ever use but in a frame that can handle more than a 1500 when needed.

Yeah, that's the fancy pants line of truck but that's an American truck interior.

That's pretty cool, I know Dodge used to do that with the Megacab 1500s were built on 2500 frames with 8 lug wheels. I seem to remember Chevy doing something similar, but can't put my finger on what it was.

Agree on the idea though and it's what Nissan attempted with the Xd.
Old 14 Jan 2018, 02:08 (Ref:3792600)   #44
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Chevy used the HD name, 1500HD was a 2500 frame, 2500HD was the 3500 and the rare 3500HD was a Topkick frame. Was confusing because they made a heavy duty 2500HD, seemed kind of redundant. Ended when Ford made the 'SuperDuty' line and brought the 2500 in to the HD range, and Chevy started selling their 2500/3500/4500 range. Until early 2000s the 3500 was a stand alone unit and the 1500/2500 was shared architecture. But that's also part of what killed the 2500 Suburban, platforms diverged and 2500 Suburbans weren't cost effective outside of a few govt specials.

Old 14 Jan 2018, 17:18 (Ref:3792710)   #45
JHamilton
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
i guess I should do a little more research before posting.

Here's the 2019 Ranger: http://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford/...t-look-review/

Here's the 2019 Silverado:
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevr...train-choices/

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-show...pictures-info/