Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 8 Jan 2010, 02:01 (Ref:2609836)   #26
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurbert82 View Post
For the record there are many circuits that are better off without grandstands such as Lime Rock which features natural hillside seating where you can view in some places more than half of the track. I understand Sebring is flat however based on some random youtube videos it looks like there are still decent viewing areas. Grandstands at Sports Car Racing events are over-rated anyway. Why sit in one spot while you have the freedom to roam the entire circuit?
And who says you have to close grandstands off to specific ticket holders? Miller Motorsports Park, Laguna Seca have all of their grandstands, around the entire track, open to all ticket holders. You can wander around all day long, and sit in covered grandstands to boot. The way it ought to be at any track.Pretty easy, really, unlike Long Beach Grand Prix Prison.

Last edited by Breitling24; 8 Jan 2010 at 02:23.
Old 8 Jan 2010, 02:29 (Ref:2609838)   #27
MrSebring
Rookie

MrSebring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sebring Viewing

I've been to Le Mans several times and Sebring several times and there is no comparison. Sebring is by far the better circuit for viewing. The viewing mounds at several turns are good and if you buy a Pit Box seat you can see the pits and front straight. And the other posts are right, you can go to any motorhome along the circuit and join in the party! The paddock is very easy to get around and see the teams (impossible at Le Mans for the average spectator). Despite no elevation changes, Sebring is one of the best for spectators.
Old 8 Jan 2010, 03:04 (Ref:2609842)   #28
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
Motorhomes.

L.P.
Same thing .... beg to differ ..... but you knew what I ment ?
Old 8 Jan 2010, 04:58 (Ref:2609858)   #29
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Big difference over here. In the US, mobile homes don't move very often, but motorhomes (RVs) do all the time.
Old 8 Jan 2010, 06:17 (Ref:2609878)   #30
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Caravans, Badger... semantics.

Huge is right, you don't really want to be in a "mobile home." Sometimes not a good thing.
Old 8 Jan 2010, 08:36 (Ref:2609897)   #31
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
lol over here it is a 'Camper'
Old 8 Jan 2010, 16:13 (Ref:2610060)   #32
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
we've done the camper/motorhome a couple times and no camper/motorhome one time. standing on top of the camper at the hairpin was fantastic, but so was standing less than 25' from the track. if you do have the motorhome on the front stretch, i think you get a good view of the pit area (never done it so i don't know). the ancient grandstands at RoadATL's frontstretch give you a view of the pits but that is just about it. the bridge blocks turn 12, the support paddock pit wall blocks the straight and you have to strain to see turn 1. so i hang out at spectator hill, T3&4, T6&7 and the complex.

much like my home track, on my visits to Sebring, i have found that i go to places i enjoy. the spectating mounds do a good enough job. Fangio, Gurney, Cunningham the hairpin and turn 4 are fabulous places to sit for a few and have a few. Even the grandstands at the end of Ulmann are right on top of the cars when they are still hauling the mail. the place is just HUGE and limited to where you can drive unless you have certain tickets. i definetly get my exercise when go there.

i guess the underlying issue for me is that it is like most American Road Courses; it just needs a little bit of updating, but at least the bathrooms are better the others i have been to. the old school-ness is also something that gives Sebring it's mystic and appeal.
Old 8 Jan 2010, 20:29 (Ref:2610161)   #33
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I consider myself a Sebring veteran, here are my $0.02 on the whole grandstand thing.

From 2001-2004 my Dad and I did the race with only a Super ticket and we loved it. There are many berms and/or natural hills overlooking spectacular parts of the racetrack to sit on and enjoy the action. 2005 we started buying terrace seats, and despite the massive jump in expense for the weekend, it was worth it. A place to go and watch pit stops, the race start, just get out of the sun and heat is a God-send on many occasions (especially when you are an 18 year old kid who is prone to self-anointed-Sebring-tour-guide-related-sun stroke).

In 2008 we were accompanied by family friends who opted not to purchase terrace seats, and while teaching them about sports car racing I walked the entire circuit with them. At the end of the day they appreciated that we shared the terrace seats but preferred the more traditional activities of a sports car racing, that is walking around the circuit, finding unique viewing points without the ugly distractions of massive metal grandstands. Admittedly some aspects of Sebring are frustrating, the fact that with nearly 200 000 people in such a small space, a place along the start/finish straight to see the cars whip by and dive into turn 1 can be hard to come by at the race start. Also, if you really must use a grandstand, the small grandstand that is at the end of the Ullman is a great place to sit, relax, enjoy the cars diving into sunset bend, prototypes cutting down the inside of GTs etc. etc. and it's free!

I know that even in its day the Molson Indy Toronto is no Sebring. However, stay with me. At the Indy the best photo opportunities come in the paddock (paddock pa$$es required). Or on pit road if you have appropriate ticketing to access the Silver or Gold grandstands (over-priced). Fences, grandstands and partitioned-off viewing areas exclusively for people with certain tickets, corporate affiliations etc. stop you from the freedom road racing fans love, the freedom to walk around and SEE the track. Compare that to Sebring where freedom to roam is comparatively limitless. Better photo opportunities of the cars on track, no paddock pass purchase required, heck go up to those RV owners, introduce yourself and chances are you can sit and relax with them watching the race. If Sebring starts to introduce the multitude of grandstands the Indy has, or even just lines the front straight with grandstands that will cost you more than a Super ticket guaranteed, and unless the rows and rows of grandstands are covered as adequately as the Fangio/Gurney terrace they won't be worth it, and quite frankly I wouldn't want to see that kind of an Indy, or Le Mans style monstrosity built on my favorite central Floridian airbase.

At the end of the day, more areas for people to get out of the sun at Sebring would be great. If they had a view of the track? I don't know how they would organize that, but great - better if it was accessible via the Super ticket. Doable? Perhaps. Better than grandstands? Immeasurably in my mind. I guess I sound like an old curmudgeon afraid of change, but grandstands, who needs 'em?!

Chris

Last edited by Jonerz; 8 Jan 2010 at 20:35.
Old 8 Jan 2010, 21:01 (Ref:2610179)   #34
pdxracefan
Racer

United States
Oregon
pdxracefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda1 View Post
The 12 hours of Sebring is the biggest and most important sports car race in the US, also the most difficult racetrack to watch the race in the world! I've been to many race tracks in North America and this is the only place that I can't see the grid, pitstops, race action etc... That little grand stand on the last turn is horrible , especially when they park trucks all the way to the fence and block most of the back straight. Something must be done!!!!
Maybe, that's what make the track so unique. And Sebring is unique, which I think is great.

Personally, I think grandstands can do more harm than good to a road course, and the sightlines at Sebring would be harmed.
Old 8 Jan 2010, 22:22 (Ref:2610220)   #35
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breitling24 View Post
Caravans, Badger... semantics.

Huge is right, you don't really want to be in a "mobile home." Sometimes not a good thing.
If only I could get in and leave a mobile home. Hell, I might live in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post

i guess the underlying issue for me is that it is like most American Road Courses; it just needs a little bit of updating, but at least the bathrooms are better the others i have been to. the old school-ness is also something that gives Sebring it's mystic and appeal.
The bathrooms are worlds apart from any other motorsport event I've been too. Sounds stupid, but it really does make a difference in your comfort at the race.
Old 9 Jan 2010, 14:08 (Ref:2610495)   #36
997 brakedust
Rookie

United States
997 brakedust should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree with others - love to roam around and see the entire circuit. Tried to do that LeMans but my wife tired out at the Porsche curves. Next time we'll leave her in Paris! Am planning on attending Sebring this year with my 14 year old son. Couple of questions. No surprise, all the hotels are sold out in Sebring. Nearest hotel is at least an hours drive - Lakeland Florida. Would you recommend a different city for hotels? Also am looking into renting an rv/motor home/camper. Any recommendations on parking; North Paddock, Uhlmann straight, or general rv parking? Do I need to arrive early on Wednesday to find a decent parking space? Thanks for your comments!
Old 9 Jan 2010, 14:59 (Ref:2610517)   #37
MrSebring
Rookie

Sebring suggestions

997, there is a new Hampton Inn in Okeechobee, which is 42 miles south of Sebring (but only one traffic light the whole way!). New Holiday Inn in Lake Wales, about 45 miles north of US 27. Also try the Valencia in Lake Placid, only 17 miles from the track. I would try to arrive by Thursday morning at the latest. I strongly suggest a reserved trackside space, a little pricey but worth it. Turn 1 or 3-5 are the best. Probably sold out by now.
Old 9 Jan 2010, 18:25 (Ref:2610609)   #38
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 997 brakedust View Post
Also am looking into renting an rv/motor home/camper. Any recommendations on parking; North Paddock, Uhlmann straight, or general rv parking? Do I need to arrive early on Wednesday to find a decent parking space? Thanks for your comments!
never been anywhere else other than Green Park and the hairpin. i don't think you can go wrong getting as close to the hairpin as possible with an RV. to get a good spot, yes, you ought to try and get there as early as possible. a place close to Cunningham is also in high demand, but would be a good spot as well.

enjoy the experience that is Sebring. Green Park is MAD, and i love it.
Old 10 Jan 2010, 04:53 (Ref:2610831)   #39
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
i don't think you can go wrong getting as close to the hairpin as possible with an RV.
Or old school bus... or U-Haul truck... or... gosh I love Sebring!

Chris
Old 10 Jan 2010, 04:57 (Ref:2610833)   #40
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonerz View Post
Or old school bus... or U-Haul truck... or... gosh I love Sebring!

Chris
as do i...can't make it this year, i think.....

i've seen just about anything and everything in Green Park....o yeah, and don't forget your post hole diggers.
Old 10 Jan 2010, 13:56 (Ref:2611003)   #41
997 brakedust
Rookie

United States
Thanks for the suggestions Mr Sebring - I know I need to get things lined up quickly!
Old 10 Jan 2010, 22:57 (Ref:2611279)   #42
fjn356
Rookie

fjn356 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I stay at a Bed and Breakfast in Wauchula. About 40 minutes away from the gate. Try the B&Bs in towns near Sebring or email me if you want the contact info. Make sure to bring a AM/FM radio or scanner to listen to RLM or you will have no clue as to what is going on.
Old 27 Jan 2010, 12:20 (Ref:2620296)   #43
997 brakedust
Rookie

United States
Does anyone know when the schedule for the entire week becomes available? Interested in the practice times, support race times etc... The Sebring website does not have any schedule - that I can find. Hey MrSebring - thanks for the tip - will be staying at the Hampton Inn. Hope the commute time is less then the 61 minutes Mapquest has indicated!

Regards
Old 27 Jan 2010, 14:09 (Ref:2620349)   #44
MrSebring
Rookie

997- when in Okeechobee, eat at the Speckled Perch, one of the best steak houses in Florida, about a mile from where you are staying. You should be able to get to the track in about 45-50 minutes from there (nothing but cow pastures the whole way).
Old 27 Jan 2010, 14:23 (Ref:2620358)   #45
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Does anyone know when the schedule for the entire week becomes available? Interested in the practice times, support race times etc...
When the schedule becomes available, one of the places it will be posted is here: http://www.imsaracing.net/

DK
Old 27 Jan 2010, 16:57 (Ref:2620427)   #46
997 brakedust
Rookie

United States
Thanks for the info!
Old 28 Jan 2010, 23:17 (Ref:2621344)   #47
pdxracefan
Racer

United States
Oregon
pdxracefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Does anyone know when the schedule for the entire week becomes available? Interested in the practice times, support race times etc... The Sebring website does not have any schedule - that I can find. Hey MrSebring - thanks for the tip - will be staying at the Hampton Inn. Hope the commute time is less then the 61 minutes Mapquest has indicated!

Regards
Unless things change from previous years, gates will open Wed. morning and remain open until Sunday noon. Wed-practice, Thurs-practice/quals plus ALMS night practice, Friday more quals, Sat-racing.

Have fun. The first time is the best.