Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 7 Jan 2010, 02:12 (Ref:2609204)   #1
mazda1
Rookie

United States
Orlando,FL
mazda1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sebring Raceway means "NO GRANDSTANDS"

The 12 hours of Sebring is the biggest and most important sports car race in the US, also the most difficult racetrack to watch the race in the world! I've been to many race tracks in North America and this is the only place that I can't see the grid, pitstops, race action etc... That little grand stand on the last turn is horrible , especially when they park trucks all the way to the fence and block most of the back straight. Something must be done!!!!
Old 7 Jan 2010, 02:35 (Ref:2609211)   #2
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
there are a few of great places to watch the race, but i would have to agree with you; it is a little weak for the stature of Sebring and the 12 hours.

i have enjoyed the spectating as well as the festivities on my two visits.

Last edited by fieldodreams79; 7 Jan 2010 at 02:47. Reason: additions
Old 7 Jan 2010, 02:38 (Ref:2609212)   #3
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda1 View Post
The 12 hours of Sebring is the biggest and most important sports car race in the US, also the most difficult racetrack to watch the race in the world! I've been to many race tracks in North America and this is the only place that I can't see the grid, pitstops, race action etc... That little grand stand on the last turn is horrible , especially when they park trucks all the way to the fence and block most of the back straight. Something must be done!!!!
And yet as a fan you can walk on the grid before the race and stand along the front straight fence line during the race.
Old 7 Jan 2010, 03:04 (Ref:2609218)   #4
mazda1
Rookie

United States
Orlando,FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugewally View Post
And yet as a fan you can walk on the grid before the race and stand along the front straight fence line during the race.
You can walk the grid at every ALMS race, and you can stand by the fence in the pits at most other races too. At Road Atlanta you can read the teams computers (some of them at least) and still they all have grand stands. I was standing 10 feet form MS's Ferrari in the pits at Indy back in 2005! I saw them whole engine R&R from Ruben's car! The next day, I sat in the grand stands. Every racetrack Needs them, every racetrack have them. Not Sebring.
Old 7 Jan 2010, 03:22 (Ref:2609224)   #5
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, if you're willing to pay for them they do have grandstand seating, so whats the problem then?
Old 7 Jan 2010, 04:09 (Ref:2609226)   #6
mazda1
Rookie

United States
Orlando,FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugewally View Post
Well, if you're willing to pay for them they do have grandstand seating, so whats the problem then?
Obviously you have been to Sebring. Don't you think we should be able to see the grid right before the race starts, See the pit stops. Don't you think a grand stand in the main straight helps follow the race better, for those who care of course. Sebring removed the grand stand to sell the spots to RV's. This is the " For the Fans " series! They are more for the money than for the fans, don't you think?
Old 7 Jan 2010, 05:22 (Ref:2609246)   #7
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
If there was a stand there, I wonder if it was out on the grass when the cars could use virtually the whole width of the runway. It would be a royal pain in the ass to drill through 18in. of concrete to put down the poles for a grandstand right along the pit straight.
Old 7 Jan 2010, 05:48 (Ref:2609257)   #8
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's not the most comfortable place to see a race. Unless you have an RV or vehicle it's roughing it on flat concrete. There are a few small grandstands and spectator mounds I recall. I probably would not go back unless I was fully equipped or involved with the race.
Old 7 Jan 2010, 07:43 (Ref:2609281)   #9
Splendid Cat
Racer

Splendid Cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At least you don't have the Gulag-esque fences at Sebring we have in Europe.

I have always enjoyed Sebring because of the unobstructed viewing in comparison with other circuits.

Unless you pay a premium for grandstand tickets at Le Mans the viewing is dire, especially on the pit straight.
Old 7 Jan 2010, 08:35 (Ref:2609294)   #10
fer312t
Rookie

fer312t should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sebring Needs (imo):

- A new, proper, functional scoring pylon/tower (which distincly displays class, and overall scoring) Again, this is a major world endurance event and what they have know looks like something from a run down short track or high school stadium (inoperable bulbs and all.) Nothing fancy needed...

- At least a couple of video screens (one across from the pits, and at the hairpin etc)

- A non-VIP or 'RV only' area in which to watch the cars through two of the best corners in American Motorsport (turn 1, turn 17.)

- Don't let the raceteams monopolize 1/2 the space in the pit box terrances. This is extremely annoying, having paid for a pit box seat...to have huge area cordined off (Audi being the biggest offender) and these are nearly always empty or underutilized...

Quote:
That little grand stand on the last turn is horrible
That thing is perfectly positioned for instant sunburn death
Old 7 Jan 2010, 10:23 (Ref:2609334)   #11
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fer312t View Post
- A new, proper, functional scoring pylon/tower (which distincly displays class, and overall scoring) Again, this is a major world endurance event and what they have know looks like something from a run down short track or high school stadium (inoperable bulbs and all.) Nothing fancy needed...
I don't understand why they not use LED displays on circuits:

They can use it for class and overall scoring, but also for news (car # is crashed; driver ... is in car # now). There's room for sponsor messages. You see these LED displays turn up at smaller sport events so it's must be possible to put 5 to 10 displays at bigger motosports events.
Old 7 Jan 2010, 11:03 (Ref:2609365)   #12
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't understand the fuss completely. At the 24h at the Nürburgring most spectators are out in the woods and not on the grandstands around the gp-circuit and out there ain't grandstands either. Of course, around start and finish the gp-circuit grandstands look a bit more full but the most of the spectators are still in the outskirts along the Nordschleife.
Old 7 Jan 2010, 11:55 (Ref:2609392)   #13
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
At the Nordschleife the spectator areas are, however, above the track... and you have natural grandstands at Brünnchen or the corner before the Karussell, whereas Sebring is almost completely flat.
Old 7 Jan 2010, 12:25 (Ref:2609409)   #14
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
At the Nordschleife the spectator areas are, however, above the track... and you have natural grandstands at Brünnchen or the corner before the Karussell, whereas Sebring is almost completely flat.
So it needs a camper van and you have your grandstand
Old 7 Jan 2010, 15:15 (Ref:2609518)   #15
Zurbert82
Veteran

United States
Pittsburgh
Zurbert82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For the record there are many circuits that are better off without grandstands such as Lime Rock which features natural hillside seating where you can view in some places more than half of the track. I understand Sebring is flat however based on some random youtube videos it looks like there are still decent viewing areas. Grandstands at Sports Car Racing events are over-rated anyway. Why sit in one spot while you have the freedom to roam the entire circuit?
Old 7 Jan 2010, 16:20 (Ref:2609556)   #16
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If any of the grandstands or scoring pylons, etc. were there, I'd never use them. I'll be in Green Park in the Hairpin drinking a beer with everyone else and listening to Hindy on the radio.
Old 7 Jan 2010, 17:52 (Ref:2609597)   #17
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I attended Sebring in 2003 and was pretty happy with the circuit the way it was ..... I dont normally do grandstands as there are so many excellant corners around the track and lots to look at .

But ..... its true that the straightway is full of mobile homes .
Old 7 Jan 2010, 18:04 (Ref:2609599)   #18
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Motorhomes.

L.P.
Old 7 Jan 2010, 20:14 (Ref:2609684)   #19
Lola T70
Racer

Lola T70 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is the rustic nature of Sebring and the very traditional annual Sebring fans waiting for the gates to open to get their annual spot on their favourite viewing spot not part of the romantic appeal of the race?

The track has not changed much in layout in 40 years and has not bent to the pressures put on them to change the track by promoters as other tracks have done.

I also personally like the idea that the fans treat it like an pilgrimage and return to their nesting place year after year.
Old 7 Jan 2010, 23:17 (Ref:2609781)   #20
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is no problem getting to the fence anywhere on the Sebring circuit. There are viewing mounds, and otherwise just walk up to any area, and you'll likely be offered a beer (if not someone's wayward girlfriend).

From the drive over around to the paddock, you can walk the track, stopping along the way, as close to the track as at any road course in North America.

Only IRL and NASCAR fans bring up this rather ridiculous idea periodically. If you want to pay a lot of money for a grandstand seat they have them (they can't sell them out, so that should tell you something). Otherwise, find a friend (that's clearly your problem, you don't have any), and wrap yourself around a nice cold one (or that (now ex-) girlfriend along the fence.
Old 7 Jan 2010, 23:18 (Ref:2609784)   #21
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
I attended Sebring in 2003 and was pretty happy with the circuit the way it was ..... I dont normally do grandstands as there are so many excellant corners around the track and lots to look at .

But ..... its true that the straightway is full of mobile homes .
I never saw anyone in a motorhome group turn anyone down who wanted to join them along the front straight. (I can only take the huge noise trapped against the pits there for a while, though.)
Old 7 Jan 2010, 23:31 (Ref:2609788)   #22
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fire,
That's a great idea. Casual fans don't have a clue about what's going on most of the time: the LAD display fixes the problem and boosts sponsor exposure like you pointed out. Capital suggestion.
Old 7 Jan 2010, 23:52 (Ref:2609793)   #23
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagtechOhio View Post
Fire,
That's a great idea. Casual fans don't have a clue about what's going on most of the time: the LAD display fixes the problem and boosts sponsor exposure like you pointed out. Capital suggestion.
Are we talking about car mounted displays? How shock resitant are these? Wouldn't they break at Sebring in a matter of laps?
Old 8 Jan 2010, 00:06 (Ref:2609799)   #24
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Are we talking about car mounted displays? How shock resitant are these? Wouldn't they break at Sebring in a matter of laps?
I don't think he meant car-mounted. But having a few stationary ones around the track would be a good idea, I agree. And probably cheaper than building a new scoring tower.
Old 8 Jan 2010, 00:24 (Ref:2609805)   #25
fjn356
Rookie

fjn356 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Compared to Le Mans, I will take Sebring any day because you can get close to the track at Sebring and I hate sitting in one spot for 12/24 hours. Grandstands would be nice, but I move around so much that they would need to be open seating. What I really dislike at Sebring is the lack of timing and scoring data displays. Even with RLM, I am frequently without the info I want about the class/car I am interested in. And if I am confused, what must a newcomer be experiencing?

Why cannot ALMS provide Wifi? I can take a netbook if they cannot afford the displays and video screens. The cell networks will just not handle the volume for smart phones, although I am now trying to use one at some tracks.