Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 19 Sep 2019, 18:06 (Ref:3928934)   #4901
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Viva, I suspect there's something wrong with Bob's list. Nothing personal, of course boobool, but all those honors, medals, laurels, citations in various countries, four for the single Belgium, and…… nothing in Frankreich! Cant believe its true. Now you just need to share a cake with an old dog and you're granted Chevalier de la Légion d'Honneur. Or be an acceptable soccer player…
Old 19 Sep 2019, 18:52 (Ref:3928943)   #4902
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Viva, I suspect there's something wrong with Bob's list. Nothing personal, of course boobool, but all those honors, medals, laurels, citations in various countries, four for the single Belgium, and…… nothing in Frankreich! Cant believe its true. Now you just need to share a cake with an old dog and you're granted Chevalier de la Légion d'Honneur. Or be an acceptable soccer player…

Kick a ball = national treasure?

Or indeed anything else to do with sport.

I fear it is all somewhat devaluing the honour.

Prizes for all. Where do we apply?

Why would we apply?
Old 20 Sep 2019, 10:45 (Ref:3929056)   #4903
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quite, Grant - honours list, anybody?
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 20 Sep 2019, 12:10 (Ref:3929073)   #4904
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Quite, Grant - dishonours list, anybody?
I think would be more appropriate!
Old 20 Sep 2019, 13:00 (Ref:3929082)   #4905
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I think would be more appropriate!
One might perhaps begin to view them in that way.

Which is an interesting thought and would surely be unfair to a few people but in the main ...

One has to remember some of the 'characters' who traded on their apparent honours. Especially a few with OBEs.

Order of the British Empire as I recall. Somewhat demeaning these days due to the absence of said Empire.

More commonly referred to as Other Bugger's Efforts.
Old 20 Sep 2019, 18:32 (Ref:3929128)   #4906
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
You can do 'fly alongside a Spitfire' experiences from Biggin Hill and Headcorn (although if it was a modern plane alongside it's probably the Biggin one - Headcorn use a de Havilland Devon). If you've got a bit more cash you can do 'fly in a Spitfire' as there are 2 seaters around as well. The Biggin Spitfire comes over work 3 or 4 times a day when it's operating and the Headcorn based one comes over home - not bad! As you say the sound is very distinctive (and glorious), one of the sounds of an English summer.
Thanks for that explanation - not quite such a rare siting after all then! 'My' Spitfire had black & white wing markings, if that offers any clue as to where it came from. I had no idea such flights were available but I haven't been in the country much lately. However, I do get personalised air displays over my back garden if the son of a near neighbour happens to spot me when he flies over. I'm sure his low-level double barrel-rolls wouldn't meet with approval in some places!
Old 20 Sep 2019, 19:55 (Ref:3929138)   #4907
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Thanks for that explanation - not quite such a rare siting after all then! 'My' Spitfire had black & white wing markings, if that offers any clue as to where it came from. I had no idea such flights were available but I haven't been in the country much lately. However, I do get personalised air displays over my back garden if the son of a near neighbour happens to spot me when he flies over. I'm sure his low-level double barrel-rolls wouldn't meet with approval in some places!

I do believe that there are Spitfire two seater flights available from Duxford as well.

30 odd years ago there was a scrap metal merchant who lived in Shenley in Hertfordshire who owned and flew a Mustang. He alternated where he stored it, sometimes at Elstree Aerodrome but often in his garden which was long or wide enough to land and take off. He very often used to fly over our house which was about a mile way in Radlett.

And what an evocative sound that aircraft made; pretty well good enough to compete with the Spitfire or the Hurricane.
Old 20 Sep 2019, 20:51 (Ref:3929151)   #4908
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I do believe that there are Spitfire two seater flights available from Duxford as well.

30 odd years ago there was a scrap metal merchant who lived in Shenley in Hertfordshire who owned and flew a Mustang. He alternated where he stored it, sometimes at Elstree Aerodrome but often in his garden which was long or wide enough to land and take off. He very often used to fly over our house which was about a mile way in Radlett.

And what an evocative sound that aircraft made; pretty well good enough to compete with the Spitfire or the Hurricane.
Depending on the model of Mustang, same Merlin engine.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nort...n_P-51_Mustang
Old 21 Sep 2019, 08:01 (Ref:3929210)   #4909
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://www.warbirdflights.co.uk/spitfireml407

Link to details of the "Grace " Spitfire .
It used to be based on an airfield near me , BUT THEN SOME STUPID WOMEN COMPLAINED ABOUT THE NOISE , & now it flies out of Sywell airfield .

Frequently get warbirds flying over . The P51 Mustangs do have a Packard Merlin engine , but the WONDERFUL sound is slightly different from the Spitfire Merlin sound .
Old 21 Sep 2019, 20:38 (Ref:3929282)   #4910
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
https://www.warbirdflights.co.u/spitfireml407

Link to details of the "Grace " Spitfire .
It used to be based on an airfield near me , BUT THEN SOME STUPID WOMEN COMPLAINED ABOUT THE NOISE , & now it flies out of Sywell airfield .

Frequently get warbirds flying over . The P51 Mustangs do have a Packard Merlin engine , but the WONDERFUL sound is slightly different from the Spitfire Merlin sound .
The "Grace" spitfire used to be regularly flown along this part of the Suffolk coast - I frequently got to see it on my way home from work along Felixstowe seafront.

There's not many better (non motorsport) sounds than the Merlin engine on full song.
Old 22 Sep 2019, 08:40 (Ref:3929364)   #4911
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Personally, I’d suggest that whoever repaired this wishbone wants shooting. It’s the front element on the left rear, and the join has just pulled apart..... No damage on the car, thankfully!
Attached Thumbnails
1126FB2B-1EA9-434B-B8D5-4A3660EDDE38.jpeg  
Old 22 Sep 2019, 09:58 (Ref:3929377)   #4912
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What's that Mike?
Old 22 Sep 2019, 12:02 (Ref:3929402)   #4913
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
What's that Mike?
It’s the lower left rear wishbone on a single seater! Obviously the tube is not one piece, and has a join in it, which I can’t believe is a good idea... It’s pulled apart, resulting in the wheel suddenly toeing out 30 deg. Lucky it doesn’t look like the car hit anything....
Old 22 Sep 2019, 12:15 (Ref:3929406)   #4914
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
It’s the lower left rear wishbone on a single seater! Obviously the tube is not one piece, and has a join in it, which I can’t believe is a good idea... It’s pulled apart, resulting in the wheel suddenly toeing out 30 deg. Lucky it doesn’t look like the car hit anything....

Is it a sort of tube in a tube repair thing? Or even an attempt at strengthening?
Old 22 Sep 2019, 12:18 (Ref:3929408)   #4915
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sorry Mike. I meant what is the car? But yes not good work if it broke under normal working conditions.
Old 22 Sep 2019, 12:31 (Ref:3929412)   #4916
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's not many better (non motorsport) sounds than the Merlin engine on full song.[/QUOTE]

We had one fly over us at Santa Pod yesterday, probably on the way to / from nearby Sywell.

After yesterdays scorching sun and no delays, today is the opposite, 90 minute delay before we started, ran for around 90 minutes, and now looking at heavy rain - gonna be a long day!

Luckily the WiFi signal is good so have watched England win the rugby, now got the GP on Radio 5 live also following the BSB from Assen through the TSL website, isn't science good?
Old 22 Sep 2019, 13:39 (Ref:3929426)   #4917
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
There's not many better (non motorsport) sounds than the Merlin engine on full song.
We had one fly over us at Santa Pod yesterday, probably on the way to / from nearby Sywell.

After yesterdays scorching sun and no delays, today is the opposite, 90 minute delay before we started, ran for around 90 minutes, and now looking at heavy rain - gonna be a long day!

Luckily the WiFi signal is good so have watched England win the rugby, now got the GP on Radio 5 live also following the BSB from Assen through the TSL website, isn't science good?[/QUOTE]

Good to know that the officials are giving it 100% concentration. Nothing can go wrong , nothing can go wrong, nothing can...……..
Old 22 Sep 2019, 18:23 (Ref:3929478)   #4918
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good to know that the officials are giving it 100% concentration. Nothing can go wrong , nothing can go wrong, nothing can...……..[/QUOTE]

Not guilty guv, I was only there as the Chauffer, my Wife was the MUK Steward and I had an empty diary this weekend, so was on a 'busmans'.

Next 'working' day is at Jamie Whitams trackday on Wednesday, when with it being bikes and probably wet, lots will go wrong
Old 22 Sep 2019, 18:39 (Ref:3929481)   #4919
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
There are photos of 3 of the 2 seaters here:

https://tentenths.com/forum/showpost...2&postcount=40

Could have been one of those (one of those is Headcorn/Sywell based - I can't remember where the other 2 were from - could be Biggin, Duxford or Goodwood). Other warbird photos in that thread too if you're interested.
Old 22 Sep 2019, 18:43 (Ref:3929482)   #4920
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Sorry Mike. I meant what is the car? But yes not good work if it broke under normal working conditions.
Doh! Me being a bit dumb, Peter

F3 Brabham, I think.

Anyway, back to Merlin engines.......
Old 23 Sep 2019, 09:12 (Ref:3929617)   #4921
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
That's ok, how long have you had that Brabham? Hope it goes well for you now
Old 23 Sep 2019, 09:19 (Ref:3929618)   #4922
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Doh! Me being a bit dumb, Peter

F3 Brabham, I think.

Anyway, back to Merlin engines.......
Not a Merlin , but Sunday afternoon heard a powerful aero engine coming over , looked outside and there was a P47 going past at reasonably low altitude .
Have seen it , [ sometimes 2 of them ] , several times during the summer .

Huge lazy sounding radial engine , nowhere near as lovely as a Merlin , but I believe they were the most powerful piston engine in WW2 aircraft .
Old 23 Sep 2019, 09:50 (Ref:3929622)   #4923
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
All this talk of Merlins and Packard Merlins- what you need is a Sea Fury with its 3000bhp twin bank Bristol Centaurus radial......

Edit- 53.6 litres........

Last edited by Mike Bell; 23 Sep 2019 at 10:14.
Old 23 Sep 2019, 15:42 (Ref:3929676)   #4924
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I do despair (huge understatement) with our politicians. For decades, the UK's productivity has been slowly eroded, yet the shadow chancellor has announced that it will be Labour policy to reduce the working week for most of the workforce from five days to four with no loss of earnings.

What he didn't say is who is going to pay for his largess. And as usual, it will be the taxpayers when the cost of production suddenly shoots up, and the uplift is passed on to the buyers.

I had this very argument with Brenda Dean (now a dame on the Lords) who was the General Secretary of SOGAT when she told me that in 1986 she would insist that the contracts of employment with our factory staff would be amended to reduce the working week from 44.5 hours to 37 with no reduction in earnings. When I informed her that the policy would make our UK facility uneconomical, she just shrugged her shoulders. The facility closed in June '86 with the loss of over 100 jobs, and when I spoke to her deputy the day after the closure was announced, he told me that she was "fighting" for the best deal for the last person that remained in the industry.

Well, the policy worked; SODIT 82 is no longer in existence - nor much of the packaging and printing industry either - and Brenda's award was her dame-hood.
Old 23 Sep 2019, 15:48 (Ref:3929679)   #4925
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yes there are some out there that don't give us much hope. We're going through a tough time don't forget. That said the shadow cabinet doesn't give me much hope, they may have good intentions, but they don't know how to do it. So there not someone I would vote for.

Of course reductions in working have always been suggested. Good job they haven't all happened. As we're in enough trouble as it is. Still, we can learn our lessons of the past.