Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Feb 2014, 14:29 (Ref:3364827)   #201
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennen View Post
I think I can trump you all...I've been following F1 since 1957 and can only recall Silverstone and Monaco being shown on fuzzy 428 lines of Black & White!

I LOVE my SKY F1 !!!! FP1,2,3 & Qualy and 'Ted's Notebook' after the race really bring the whole paddock atmos flooding to my Couch Grandstand! All for a Tenner a month too!

I just wish it was around when my son was in F1...now he's in LMP (WEC Sports cars) I tear my hair out at how poor the commentators and coverage is in comparison! Grrrrrrr!
Sorry to be padantic old bean, but wasn't the old VHF TV 405 lines (amd the new-fangled UHF for BBC2 625 lines?)
Old 6 Feb 2014, 17:07 (Ref:3364900)   #202
henners88
Veteran

Wales
henners88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
uk f1 tv coverage - sky & bbc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
You most certainly have, that's for sure. Of your (to date) 528 posts, 226 (that's , give or take, 43%) of them have been on this very subject
Should I be creeped out by your research into me, or have you got anything on topic to add?

This isn't the first time you've commented on my posting preferences. If you don't like my point of view, kindly ignore me please.
Old 6 Feb 2014, 17:13 (Ref:3364903)   #203
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennen View Post
I think I can trump you all...I've been following F1 since 1957 and can only recall Silverstone and Monaco being shown on fuzzy 428 lines of Black & White!

I LOVE my SKY F1 !!!! FP1,2,3 & Qualy and 'Ted's Notebook' after the race really bring the whole paddock atmos flooding to my Couch Grandstand! All for a Tenner a month too!

I just wish it was around when my son was in F1...now he's in LMP (WEC Sports cars) I tear my hair out at how poor the commentators and coverage is in comparison! Grrrrrrr!

Where can I get Sky for a tenner a month?
Old 6 Feb 2014, 19:23 (Ref:3364950)   #204
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
Where can I get Sky for a tenner a month?

That the tenner extra you pay to get HD and they throw in Sky F1.
Old 6 Feb 2014, 20:22 (Ref:3364970)   #205
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinzani View Post
That the tenner extra you pay to get HD and they throw in Sky F1.

Or used to.
You can no longer get F1 thrown in with HD, but before it was £31.25 inclusive. When I saw it mentioned I thought it was a current way if doing it and it sounded appealing. Never mind, back to streaming or my Dads Sky go.
Old 6 Feb 2014, 21:29 (Ref:3365004)   #206
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
Or used to.
You can no longer get F1 thrown in with HD, but before it was £31.25 inclusive. When I saw it mentioned I thought it was a current way if doing it and it sounded appealing. Never mind, back to streaming or my Dads Sky go.
Threaten to leave, it generally works. Not that I could now the BBCs coverage is so **** poor. Altho I watched one on 19 east on German I think satellite and it was fine with NO commentary.
Old 7 Feb 2014, 10:17 (Ref:3365221)   #207
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Surely this is a windup?

It is, right?
No it's not a wind up, it's an advertisement placed by someone whose son earns an income from SKY.

Full marks for family loyalty, I'd probably do the same.

Doesn't change my opinion that one or two of the SKY team are better suited to CBeebies (a uk kiddy channel) than serious sporting commentary.

Last week I saw Kravitz attempting to explain to viewers the new nose aerodynamics using a banana and a packet of sultanas........

Seriously, I wouldn't pay 10p for that rubbish.
Old 7 Feb 2014, 13:06 (Ref:3365256)   #208
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Obviously i agree that having to pay for something of poor quality sucks but isn't the lack of quality coming from the series itself and not the level of commentary provided.

Rather if the racing was great but the commentary is pants would you guys still refuse to pay for it?

You get all the sessions plus the features all in HD...isn't caring more about the commentary sort of like missing the point?
Old 7 Feb 2014, 14:26 (Ref:3365298)   #209
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio Galtieri View Post
Last week I saw Kravitz attempting to explain to viewers the new nose aerodynamics using a banana and a packet of sultanas........
It could have been worse. He might have been tempted to expose something else to illustrate the point
Old 7 Feb 2014, 14:33 (Ref:3365301)   #210
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just wait til we have Suzi Perry trying to explain it with, ahem, interjections from Eddie.

That's another BBC court case right there...
Old 7 Feb 2014, 14:34 (Ref:3365302)   #211
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
Just wait til we have Suzi Perry trying to explain it with, ahem, interjections from Eddie.

That's another BBC court case right there...
Crash bang wallop... though maybe not in that order
Old 7 Feb 2014, 19:57 (Ref:3365403)   #212
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Obviously i agree that having to pay for something of poor quality sucks but isn't the lack of quality coming from the series itself and not the level of commentary provided.

Rather if the racing was great but the commentary is pants would you guys still refuse to pay for it?

You get all the sessions plus the features all in HD...isn't caring more about the commentary sort of like missing the point?
I still wouldn't pay because I object to Murdoch's almost complete monopoly of televised sport. As it is I sometimes miss all the sessions when they are televised on the BBC.
Old 8 Feb 2014, 10:49 (Ref:3365665)   #213
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I still wouldn't pay because I object to Murdoch's almost complete monopoly of televised sport. As it is I sometimes miss all the sessions when they are televised on the BBC.
Yep, I'd rather find anyway to watch rather than pay the Murdoch mafia a penny.

I do admit I sometimes miss Martin Brundle's input though, not as lead commentator but as the driver expert. Having said that, reading an interview in Autosprout magazine last week he stated the person he admired most was Margaret Thatcher.

That would explain the move to Sky then......
Old 8 Feb 2014, 14:26 (Ref:3365692)   #214
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Having said that, reading an interview in Autosprout magazine last week he stated the person he admired most was Margaret Thatcher.
I remember seeing somewhere that when asked the same question, Murray Walker said the person he most admired was Jim Rosenthal
Old 8 Feb 2014, 16:12 (Ref:3365707)   #215
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That is actually bad.

Although he was no doubt referring to his coverage of sports Jim was bothered about.
Old 10 Feb 2014, 17:03 (Ref:3366506)   #216
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thatw as a joke made by Rory bremner on Top Gear, I doubt it was actually what Murray said.
Old 10 Feb 2014, 18:15 (Ref:3366526)   #217
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That makes sense.
Old 10 Feb 2014, 20:00 (Ref:3366576)   #218
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

He also attempted to explain the new engines with some stuff he "picked up from around Jerez". This amounted to a hand fan, nose hair trimmer, a hand fan, a battery and a toy with six bumps (representing six cylinders!). He arranged these on the table, at which point you instantly forgot what each one was supposed to be imitating.

This great big man child then proceeded to make an arse of himself in front of a Renault engineer. At one point he seemingly struggled to grasp how to use the page scroll on the laptop next to him. The engineer seemed to find the whole prop thing baffling, and Ted seemed aware of this as he got redder and more flustered as the show went on. He stopped at one point to explain that he had simply "caught the sun", but it was clear he was dying on television before our eyes.

And to think if you are new to Sky you have to pay for the Sports package to access this 'expert' analysis.
Old 11 Feb 2014, 01:55 (Ref:3366717)   #219
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
He also attempted to explain the new engines with some stuff he "picked up from around Jerez". This amounted to a hand fan, nose hair trimmer, a hand fan, a battery and a toy with six bumps (representing six cylinders!). He arranged these on the table, at which point you instantly forgot what each one was supposed to be imitating.

This great big man child then proceeded to make an arse of himself in front of a Renault engineer. At one point he seemingly struggled to grasp how to use the page scroll on the laptop next to him. The engineer seemed to find the whole prop thing baffling, and Ted seemed aware of this as he got redder and more flustered as the show went on. He stopped at one point to explain that he had simply "caught the sun", but it was clear he was dying on television before our eyes.

And to think if you are new to Sky you have to pay for the Sports package to access this 'expert' analysis.
That actually sounds like fun to watch.
Old 11 Feb 2014, 07:15 (Ref:3366746)   #220
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well in Australia we have started in the last few years to get Quali. So that's a nice touch. One day we might even get FP 1 2 and 3.

GP2? GP3? Other open wheel formula? What are you on about? Never heard of them (or at least you dont' down here)
Old 11 Feb 2014, 09:08 (Ref:3366789)   #221
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
You forgot to mention the whoopee cushion he used to give viewers an impression of the new engine sound... or maybe it wasn't a whoopee cushion.
Old 11 Feb 2014, 10:30 (Ref:3366829)   #222
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Well, unfortunately, it was simply an excruciating spectacle.
Old 11 Feb 2014, 11:03 (Ref:3366847)   #223
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sky have not enhanced F1 coverage, apart from perhaps with the slow-mo replays with Anthony Davidson.

Their channel is woefully underused and the less said about the BBC's approach the better.
Old 11 Feb 2014, 11:39 (Ref:3366859)   #224
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
I've never met Kravitz, but a pal who has and whose opinion I trust tells me he's a very nice chap, knowledgeable about the drivers and personnel in the sport and a huge motorsport fan.

I find this entirely believable, in which case the blame lies with the Sky producers, who have absolutely no idea of what Formula One viewers want.

The problem is, with the sacking of Anderson, the BBC have also demonstrated that they might be going down the same "dumbing down" road that Sky has travelled since they started covering the sport.

I hope I'm wrong there.
Old 11 Feb 2014, 11:54 (Ref:3366867)   #225
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Sky have not enhanced F1 coverage, apart from perhaps with the slow-mo replays with Anthony Davidson.

Their channel is woefully underused and the less said about the BBC's approach the better.
Change it to Sky Sports F1 & Motorsport or something and show some other series during the week.

I mean, come on...how much of a no-brainer is that? Unless it upsets Bernie, of course.

I'm really starting to detest both sets of coverage too. Can't believe the Beeb let Anderson go. Really can't.

Both channels seem to be taking the dumming down route and I can't stand Sky's over-hyping of things. "This Indian Grand Prix is a seminal moment in the history of the sport" is one line that had me spitting blood. Ignoring the fact they called a series a 'sport' - an increasingly common habbit from the media, unfortunately - how could they possibly describe either Indian GP as a seminal moment? They were dull races in a car park in some distant field played out in front of a small crowd.

Don't insult my intelligence.

Tags
pinks