Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Jun 2021, 07:29 (Ref:4055056)   #376
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
First time that both cars have finished out of the points since 2012 Austin. I do think they are starting to show signs of vulnerability
Old 7 Jun 2021, 08:38 (Ref:4055067)   #377
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Thought crossed my mind too.... But then he did beat Lewis today.
If that's all he has to celebrate today, I don't think the party will last very long.....
Old 7 Jun 2021, 12:08 (Ref:4055102)   #378
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Considering Bottas luck the past two weeks, he’ll probably take whatever he can get
Old 7 Jun 2021, 15:49 (Ref:4055159)   #379
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
I can't imagine any other driver in a top team accepting a strategy that disadvantages them in favour of their teammate particularly at a track VB had usually excelled at.
it is hard to imagine...which may also indicate that VB is under the impression that the possibility of a Merc contract next year is still on the table? rather, why else would he still be playing the team game?

though, that hope should probably be dashed somewhat as he also didnt bring in any points, something that he should have been able to do even starting a race in 10th while driving a Merc.

will be interesting to see how Merc respond now that they are even further behind in the constructors.

coming into Baku they were 1 point (i believe) behind RB and they opted to bring fresh engines and sacrifice one drivers quali session/start position...what will they do now that they are 26 pts down?

perhaps im being overly dramatic, but this is a team that might not know how to play from behind and already looking like they are prepared to cannibalize themselves/future performance/team stability in their pursuit of an 8th drivers title for LH.

obviously lots of races left and at tracks which may suit them more, but this is also uncharted territory for them. so i guess if i have one take away, it is that pursuing 1-2 race finishes and both season titles is no longer part of their plan and that is in and of itself a major shift in their thinking right?
Old 7 Jun 2021, 17:16 (Ref:4055192)   #380
S griffin
Veteran

It seems Max and Lewis battle for the wins has got to Bottas and he’s not producing his best this year, apart from maybe Monaco
Old 8 Jun 2021, 13:31 (Ref:4055297)   #381
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
It seems Max and Lewis battle for the wins has got to Bottas and he’s not producing his best this year, apart from maybe Monaco
But I think it's been said that he was effectively on a sub-optimal strategy last weekend?

His performance was quite restricted by the big wing... which I guess has the unfortunate by-product of reducing the merc power advantage down the straight. Add this to the continual theme that it is a car that doesn't like following other cars. Didn't leave him much room for manouvre.

That doesn't answer why he was not more aggressive at the start or the restart knowing that would have been his best opportunities to make up ground?
Old 8 Jun 2021, 13:43 (Ref:4055300)   #382
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
But I think it's been said that he was effectively on a sub-optimal strategy last weekend?
I don't think they planned for it to be sub-optimal, but was a driver choice that unfortunately went the wrong way.

Talking about giving Hamilton a tow:
"So we have a rule at the beginning of the season," Wolff explained to Sky Sports F1 when asked about the apparent tow.

"Any driver can decide whether he wants to go first or second, this weekend this was Lewis' call. And he decided to go second. Nothing surprising."

And in terms of wing choice:
"We debated it and we have a lower downforce configuration and the higher one. Valtteri opted for the higher downforce configuration and Lewis for the lower but there's not a lot in it."

Toto has also admitted that they are coming up short on tight, street tracks:
"In Monaco and here we didn't have a car that was competitive, full stop," Wolff told Sky F1. "We lose all the time in the twisty old town, and this is what happened in Monaco."
"You could see in the middle sector, we were really close, we were quicker on the straight - but the middle sector was just a total shocker."
Old 8 Jun 2021, 14:04 (Ref:4055302)   #383
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So, rather than being forced to use a less than optimal configuration (as it turned out) as seems to have been suggested previously, Valtteri actually chose high downforce....?
Old 8 Jun 2021, 14:06 (Ref:4055304)   #384
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well now that they are behind, we will find out how long they will hold to that arraignment.

Personally i dont think they are going to disadvantage Lewis just so Bottas can have his turn.

I would be very surprised, alarmed really, if they dont update their rules of engagement to fit their current situation.

Everyone has a plan until they have been punched!
Old 8 Jun 2021, 14:39 (Ref:4055310)   #385
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Add this to the continual theme that it is a car that doesn't like following other cars.
There was a comment in the commentary that this year it wasn’t as bad following other cars as it was compared to other seasons. It seemed pretty good at Baku. Obviously the main reason it didn’t get past the Red Bulls was that it wasn’t quicker.

Something to look out for at later races.
Old 8 Jun 2021, 15:46 (Ref:4055317)   #386
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post

I would be very surprised, alarmed really, if they dont update their rules of engagement to fit their current situation.
Having reached this point - and with the obvious competition that Max is providing, with the increasingly more able support of Checo, they would be mad not to make the position quite clear for Valtteri.
Old 8 Jun 2021, 19:12 (Ref:4055338)   #387
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Having reached this point - and with the obvious competition that Max is providing, with the increasingly more able support of Checo, they would be mad not to make the position quite clear for Valtteri.

Exactly my thoughts. Perez is doing the perfect back up role that Bottas did in the past, but certainly not now. They need Valterri to raise his game more than ever
Old 8 Jun 2021, 21:49 (Ref:4055352)   #388
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Agree that they may well need to change their modus operandi and specifically have Valtteri running backup for Lewis, to deal with RB but Ferrari are much closer this year too.

The talk of this year's aero changes hurting the low rake cars more probably has impacted Mercedes more than they expected, Mr Wolff has said that they're focussing on developing next year's car and running with what they have this year (whether or not that is wholly factual) and I suspect that they are missing DAS.

They had the benefit of DAS when none of their rivals did - so the rivals needed to work hard and develop ways to be competitive without it but Mercedes obviously never had to do that and is now on the same learning curve that rivals were on as the benefits of DAS became apparent.

Put that all together and the challenging year that Mercedes is having this year makes some sense - might be more to it as well but from an observer's POV, those are factors that jump out to me.
Old 8 Jun 2021, 22:01 (Ref:4055358)   #389
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think there is a real danger they tie themselves in knots worrying about being fair to the two drivers.

The expectation is that Hamilton will be ahead, obviously, but if they get paranoid about what simpletons on twitter say it will be a big distraction.
Old 9 Jun 2021, 00:49 (Ref:4055367)   #390
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I think there is a real danger they tie themselves in knots worrying about being fair to the two drivers.

The expectation is that Hamilton will be ahead, obviously, but if they get paranoid about what simpletons on twitter say it will be a big distraction.
Agree - they are competitive people and you'd expect will take whatever decisions they need to so that they remain competitive.
Old 9 Jun 2021, 01:42 (Ref:4055373)   #391
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You might have thought that MBF1 may crank up the engine modes to improve performance... if they have been operating in 'safe' mode during the races, cranking on some additional boost and/or energy from the battery may be available.

Something has to happen... they have to dominate... or this thread becomes real.. and that cant happen...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 9 Jun 2021, 07:40 (Ref:4055385)   #392
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Regardless of the situation between the drivers at Merc will be for the rest of the season, if they're pushed along by RBR, Ferrari and the nibbling midfielders but Hamilton still wins the championship then we'll have a far better appreciation of just how good he can be.

Best car? Sure, he'll win.
Middling car? Let's see!
Old 9 Jun 2021, 16:09 (Ref:4055427)   #393
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Old 9 Jun 2021, 17:09 (Ref:4055435)   #394
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
[QUOTE=chunterer;4055046I can't imagine any other driver in a top team accepting a strategy that disadvantages them in favour of their teammate particularly at a track VB had usually excelled at.[/QUOTE]

Ronnie Peterson at Lotus.
Eddie Irvine, Rubens Barrichello, Felipe Massa at Ferrari.
I'm sure there are others.
Old 9 Jun 2021, 23:24 (Ref:4055469)   #395
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post

Thanks, they're brilliant!
Old 10 Jun 2021, 02:33 (Ref:4055472)   #396
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yep, they made me chuckle on a gloomy morning so thanks @crm.
Old 10 Jun 2021, 06:28 (Ref:4055486)   #397
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
Ronnie Peterson at Lotus.
Eddie Irvine, Rubens Barrichello, Felipe Massa at Ferrari.
I'm sure there are others.
I mean now, not historically and even then the cases are extremely rare!

Irvine, Rubens and Massa are not examples I would use either because they were not considered no.1 level drivers.
Old 10 Jun 2021, 08:23 (Ref:4055498)   #398
S griffin
Veteran

I wouldn't say Bottas is quite number 1 material, he floats between being a number 1 driver and number 2 driver
Old 10 Jun 2021, 09:49 (Ref:4055506)   #399
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
I mean now, not historically and even then the cases are extremely rare!

Irvine, Rubens and Massa are not examples I would use either because they were not considered no.1 level drivers.
Nor is Bottas by most people.... I would perfectly happily equate Bottas with Rubens and Felipe. Eddie - perhaps not.
Old 10 Jun 2021, 10:16 (Ref:4055510)   #400
S griffin
Veteran

Yes I would definitely put Bottas equal with Rubinho. Both good enough to beat their superstar team mate on their day, but not everyday