Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 5 Sep 2009, 05:50 (Ref:2534793)   #26
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
The water cannon idea was the best, maybe the people in retro's pic could take a bath or something...
yes but imagine what would happen to the environment if they did take a bath with all the grease, lice, dirt and scum that would pollute the area would be far worse than the damage an rally could do.

These clowns really get to me. They should be arrested for attempted murder for throw rocks at cars. The militant minority at it again, try to get land rights for one legged, three testicled, transvestite wallaby that live under a stone near by
Old 5 Sep 2009, 05:51 (Ref:2534794)   #27
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The water cannons are to break up the crowd... the logical solution is arrests for illegal activity.

This is clearly not acceptable behaviour whether these people were throwing rocks at cars driving down the main street or a WRC car at full tilt.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 5 Sep 2009, 06:40 (Ref:2534797)   #28
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsStalker View Post
Time for people to go back and read some of the responses to this - it shows that there isn't much difference between the protesters and those inhabiting these forums.

Let's see - go throw rocks at the protesters?
************edited*********
Old 5 Sep 2009, 06:47 (Ref:2534801)   #29
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
MPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The protesters shown on this thread look like tree hugging, non violent protesters. Rural versions of the Save Albert Park mob. I would question if these ferrals were the ones that caused trouble.

It would be a big waste of taxpayers money calling the riot squad to deal with them, but if the reports of trouble at the rally are true, someone needs a good kicking.

NSW Boys in Blue are good for it.
Old 5 Sep 2009, 07:02 (Ref:2534804)   #30
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
linky

Quote:
Rally opponents hit back

Jake Dew | September 5th, 2009

No Rally Group spokesman Scott Sledge fired back at the claims yesterday, insisting the 'locals' had at no time placed any lives at risk.

Organisers were forced to abandon two stages yesterday, after boulders were positioned on the track and rocks hurled at cars.

So far today, the rally has been undisrupted, although there were early rumours that protesters would be picketing in the nude.

"This is actually a media beat-up on behalf of the rally promoter and it's a big insult to try us as extremists," said Mr Sledge.

"We have found no evidence whatsovever that rocks were thrown and we certainly would not condone any such activity because it's dangerous.

"We were the peaceful ones, we were the ones that we saying drive slowly, drive carefully, think of the children.

"Why we would be throwing rocks at cars?

"Even though some people are angry about this dangerous and wasteful event you have to remember that we were the ones who were saying we don't want that kind of behaviour."

But contrary to their suggestions, it was the drivers themselves who slammed the protests yesterday, saying they were 'outraged their lives had been placed at risk'."

The No Rally Group returned to the course today, with about 250 opponents continuing their fight against the staging of the race, Mr Sledge confidently suggested had not only been damaging environmentally, but socially as well.

And he vowed to fight until the very end, amid fresh reports he said that an agreement had been reached that would keep the rally in the Tweed Shire for at least the next 15 years to 20 years.

But organisers fired back, saying the agreement was for five events, to be held every second year, carrying through until 2017.

"The community is divided at pro-rally and anti-rally and none of us really wanted that division either," said Mr Sledge.

"So they come here and they have created a lot of trouble and now us, the local community, have been branded extremists etc etc.

"What we need to remember is we live here, we have been here a long time, we have our homes, our wives and husbands and our children here and this elite motorsport has been imposed on us from Sydney.

"We have real concerns that it won't be a once off, it is happening, it will happen and some places are just absolutely outraged that those things can happen.

"The things is we were not consulted and this overseas motor sport organisation has shown contempt for the local people."

A media spokesman for the WRC FIA World Rally refused to comment on the claims of of media beat-up today, saying the matter had been reported and was currently being investigated by police.

Police are still investigating yesterday's incidents.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 5 Sep 2009, 09:09 (Ref:2534836)   #31
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the best think to do would be to move it away from the North Coast, away from the hippie dope plantations and have it in western NSW. I am sure those areas would be over the moon to have it.
Old 5 Sep 2009, 16:13 (Ref:2534960)   #32
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsStalker View Post
Time for people to go back and read some of the responses to this - it shows that there isn't much difference between the protesters and those inhabiting these forums.

Let's see - go throw rocks at the protesters? Break out the tear gas and water cannon? Exactly the sort of thing that makes their protest all the more valid (even saying it 'jest')
Having seen several people killed in Colorado by flying rocks going through windscreens, including one recently near Aspen, having rocks thrown is no different than shooting at someone.

Yes if you throw a rock at me, I'm throwing it right back. Shoot a gun at me, I'll draw and shoot back.

I don't think anyone has problems with peaceful protesting but this isn't peaceful protest. They can dance around in the nude all they want or wave signs, who cares?
Old 5 Sep 2009, 17:32 (Ref:2534986)   #33
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
I would guarantee if someone threw a rock at my rally car I would get out and throw it back.

Just a bunch of looney tunes most likely on public welfare. I think a forest fire or thunderstorm does more damage than any rally cars do. And nightly in Australia kangaroos get killed on roads everywhere. I nearly took out a mob of them myself on a road outside of Gunnedah last time I was there.
Actually forest fires and thunderstorms actually benefit the environment by aiding regeneration, clearing out the old for the new. Those phenomena interfere with us humans that have to stay put where we build our dwellings, no matter what.
Mother nature isn't stupid - we are.

And so are those protesters lulled into the idiotic idea that the human race is affecting the climate of this planet. We are cleaning up our act, but though becoming a more civilised developed planet, we are using resources more, even with the savings by being more efficient.

That's got nothing to do with motorsport.

What's this "Slow down think of the children" rhubarb? The event course will be cleared of miscreants pulling their billycarts won't it?

If they flatten a roo's, so what? Some outback redneck would probably have them in their sights sometime later.

Looks like some of them (protesters) have had a flagon or two of woobler!
Old 6 Sep 2009, 00:26 (Ref:2535112)   #34
BFC
Racer

BFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FERTILIZE THE BUSH.....DOZE IN A GREENIE
Old 6 Sep 2009, 01:17 (Ref:2535120)   #35
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by R59 View Post
Actually forest fires and thunderstorms actually benefit the environment by aiding regeneration, clearing out the old for the new. Those phenomena interfere with us humans that have to stay put where we build our dwellings, no matter what.
Mother nature isn't stupid - we are.
Ahhhh... is it time for backburning?
Old 6 Sep 2009, 02:38 (Ref:2535129)   #36
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There's a wee story being told by more than one or two people here in NZ that with Rally NZ moving back to Auckland, an announcement is coming that will see New Zealand hold the event for the next three years.

The press from the protesting won't be helping the cause as the FIA will be frowning on this.
Old 6 Sep 2009, 03:42 (Ref:2535131)   #37
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Senna05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We had a sad incident recently with a sub 1kg spring hitting a driver we all know in a very fast open wheeler.....

The last thing we need is either glass/perspex floating around a cabin where drivers have open face helmets, or worse, the rock actually getting in.....

While I have no doubt the majority of protestors are doing the right thing, by placing boulders on tracks or letting animals go out, or the real minority of morons throwing rocks, you are going to stimatize the global community with a negative view of this area.

I am really hoping that these guys can be found and shamed/charged - I have no problem whatsoever with activism - I do have a huge issue with radical activism that can endanger lives - be it event staff/competitors, or spectators/bystanders (imagine - an out of control Peugeot wiping out 30-40 spectators.... tragedy awaiting!).

I was tempted to go to this event this year, and now I will seriously question if I will go in 2 years time - If I rock up in motorsport apparel to watch, will I be targeted? And thats even if this event goes on again...

Congratulations, minority morons - you have just cost your community alot of revenue over the next 10 years.
Old 6 Sep 2009, 04:16 (Ref:2535134)   #38
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
so have these alledged claims of rock throwing and such been proven ?

and if they have has anyone been charged for these incidents ?

Makes you wonder why they left Perth in the first place , they were quite happy to have it over there
Old 6 Sep 2009, 04:17 (Ref:2535135)   #39
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
link to the anti rally group...

http://www.norallygroup.org/

Check out their News and Media page...

“GREENIES” SABOTAGE RALLY AUSTRALIA

http://inpitlane.com/archives/11554

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 6 Sep 2009, 04:25 (Ref:2535138)   #40
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
so have these alledged claims of rock throwing and such been proven ?

and if they have has anyone been charged for these incidents ?

Makes you wonder why they left Perth in the first place , they were quite happy to have it over there
from the NSW Police website...

Quote:
Media Release Archive
Police investigations continue after protest activity — Murwillumbah
Friday, 04 Sep 2009 03:11pm

Police investigations are continuing after protest activity resulted in the cancellation of a stage of the Repco Rally this morning.

About 10am police received reports that boulders had been placed on the roadway along the Byrill Creek stage of the Rally. Police from the Public Order and Riot Squad (PORS) attended the area and removed the boulders.

Officers conducted a patrol of the surrounding area with assistance from PolAir however no-one was located at the scene.

About 10.40am the first rally car to drive along the Byrill Creek stage was hit by a number of rocks. Whilst the driver of the car was not injured in the incident, organisers of the rally stopped the stage due to concerns for the safety of the drivers and spectators.

Police from the Public Order and Riot Squad, with assistance from PolAir, again attended the scene and made a further search of the area, but were unable to locate the rock throwers due to the thick bushland.

Inquiries into the incident continue.

“While police respect individual’s rights to protest, we will not tolerate the behaviour that has been displayed today,” said Superintendent Michael Kenny, Operation Palisade Commander.

“The protestors involved in this rock throwing incident have shown total disregard for the safety of competitors and officials involved in today’s stage of the event. Their behaviour had the potential to seriously injure or kill someone.

“Protestors involved in today’s incident, and anyone considering involvement in any further unlawful protest activity, can be assured that police will find them and they will face the full force of the law.

“I will make no apologies for coming down hard on anyone considering radical action. Protestors who abide by the law have nothing to fear, however any action that is unlawful will not be tolerated nor will any action that endangers people’s safety. The safety of competitors, officials, spectators and the general public is of paramount concern to myself, as well as my officers. Police will use the full force of the law to ensure the safety of everyone involved in the event,” Superintendent Kenny said.

Operation Palisade has been formed to manage the policing response during the World Rally Championships – 2009 Australia Round (3-6 September 2009) within the Tweed/Byron and Richmond Local Area Commands. Operation Palisade utilises staff from numerous Local Area Commands, as well as the Public Order and Riot Squad, PolAir and Traffic Services Branch.

Old 6 Sep 2009, 04:31 (Ref:2535140)   #41
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks Retro.

Lets hope that some common sense prevails
Old 6 Sep 2009, 05:04 (Ref:2535147)   #42
Jeff 8
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Jeff 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They're probably worried that their drug crops are under threat. The environment is just a cover.

Jeff

Old 6 Sep 2009, 07:13 (Ref:2535160)   #43
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And yet the sentiment in here still seems to be 'do to them what they do to us' - very intelligent sentiments. Those professing to do as they are suggesting would be better off just going and joining the 'protesters' because there isn;t much difference between the two groups.

As with all protests the world over there is usually a minority (a very small one at that) that will go out of their way to cause chaos and carnage just to put a point across. And, in most cases, those that do this have no real connection to the protest actually taking place - all they want to do is cause as much damage as they can.

As to 'why the rally left WA in the first place' I seem to recall it had absolutely nothing to do with public sentiment but more to do with the WA government deciding their promotional dollars would be better spent in other areas - they made a fiscal decision and 'bye bye WA' for the rally.
Old 6 Sep 2009, 09:01 (Ref:2535184)   #44
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Love this signature to the petition
Quote:
785. STEALTHED Are you all retarded? Cutting fences to let cattle out when there not your animals, Possibility of KILLING drivers.... Grow a brain and sit inside for a couple of days!
Old 6 Sep 2009, 09:05 (Ref:2535185)   #45
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
And to the BMW owner who had their car vandalised, this person may be worth speaking to..
Quote:
751. Jeff Gooden Just dragged a 50 c piece down the side of a hotted up BMW - bweedy mate!
Old 6 Sep 2009, 09:39 (Ref:2535199)   #46
Matthew Ronke
Veteran

Australia
NSW
Matthew Ronke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see they installed anti-protester devices on the podium.
Old 6 Sep 2009, 09:42 (Ref:2535201)   #47
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think I found the anthem for the protesters:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_qD9uZ8kB8
Old 6 Sep 2009, 09:51 (Ref:2535203)   #48
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
I think I found the anthem for the protesters:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_qD9uZ8kB8

No Red Bulls from Mr Loeb's sponsor required then huh?
Old 6 Sep 2009, 10:47 (Ref:2535225)   #49
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz170 View Post
Love this signature to the petition
Here

Do these people have a right to vote?
Old 6 Sep 2009, 11:45 (Ref:2535257)   #50
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
here's what the protest group were against...

Quote:
Local residents are concerned about the impacts of this event in four main areas: Environmental; Economic; Social and Political

Environmental concerns
• Impact on threatened flora and fauna including koalas and species classified as endangered or vulnerable
• Use of National Parks for a car racing event
• Inconsistency of this event in an area identified as
A bio-diversity hotspot (one of only 15 in Australia)
An iconic landscape equivalent to Uluru and Kakadu.

Economic Concerns
• Inflation of estimated economic returns
• No consideration of real costs
• Potential damage to growing eco-tourism industry
• Inconsistency of this event with the recognition of the importance of eco-tourism and nature-based tourism as the key priority in economic development for the area.

Social Concerns
• Increased alcohol- and violence-related anti-social behaviour
• Copy-cat driving
• Increased driving-related deaths and injuries
• Creation of social division in the local community.

Political Concerns:
• Secret deals between government agencies and a private company
• Lack of local consultation
• Subsidies to the event from the public purse
• Inappropriate relationships between developers and approving authorities.