Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 16 Aug 2000, 13:26 (Ref:30917)   #1
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

DICK JOHNSON RETURNS FOR QUEENSLAND 500

Australian motor racing legend Dick Johnson announced today that he will return to the wheel of the famous number 17 Falcon at next month's Queensland 500.

The three-time Bathurst 1000 winner and five-time National Champion will once again join son Steve, while Paul Radisich and Cameron McLean will campaign the Shell Helix Racing team's other entry at Queensland Raceway on September 10.

Johnson, who retired from competitive motorsport at the end of last year, was quick to emphasise that this is not a comeback, but a one-off appearance free of the debilitating sinus condition which plagued him throughout his final year.

The Queenslander underwent major surgery last December to correct the problem and has now declared himself 100 per cent fit for next month's endurance event.

"This is not a come back, I'll be doing it this one time only and then that will be it," Dick Johnson says.

"I did the best I could last year, but I was so crook I was lucky if I could see where the road went half the time, and I don't want my last memories of racing to be like that.

"I've had some heavy duty surgery which has fixed the problem and now that I'm feeling well I'd love the opportunity to have one last red hot go."

Johnson admits the decision to return to racing, even for one race, was not an easy one and his team had looked at a number of other options including putting a young driver in the car before making the decision.

"We were in a unique situation where we have four drivers for Bathurst but only three of them were available for the Queensland 500, so we had to try and find a driver who was willing to take one race only," Dick Johnson says.

"Our first instinct was to put a young guy in the car, but with the testing rules the way they are there was no way we could really give someone a fair go.

"You can't take someone out of Formula Ford or Formula Holden and expect them to be on the pace straight away in a V8 Supercar, they need plenty of miles to get the feel of the car and unfortunately we don't have that luxury."

Steve Johnson is excited about his co-driver for the Queensland 500 and believes the pair have a good chance of taking out the race.

"I'm rapt about the situation, it wasn't an option that I had even considered," Steve Johnson says.

"Dad told me he was thinking about it and once I knew that, he didn't stand a chance.

"We ran strongly at Queensland last year and with Dad 100 per cent fit this year I honestly think we can challenge at the front of the field.

"But win or lose, one thing's for sure, Dad's last race will be on home soil and that will be special, I'm going to do everything I can to help him give the Queensland fans something to really cheer about."
Old 16 Aug 2000, 14:23 (Ref:30922)   #2
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
UMMM..Crash who is the 4th driver that carnt make QR 500 ..my mind has gone blank again.

as for dick coming back..I guess it would be good to see him race again ..and I hope he does well..but I dont think the shell cars are up to speed at present ..but by queensland hopefully they can find something and be competitive..gee I wonder if HRT thought about asking Brocky back for QR after firing noske..wouldnt that be great
Old 16 Aug 2000, 21:05 (Ref:30964)   #3
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Danielsun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DJ and Brock: just like the old days...

It will be fantastic; it's a shame I won't be there (more likely at the second-last BTCC round), but I do hope they go well. However, the Shell team's form at their home track has been anything but blinding, so expecting any finish on the podium would probably be a tad unrealistic.

Mind you, if the standard undertray being implemented has any performance effects for the better, who knows?
Old 16 Aug 2000, 21:44 (Ref:30967)   #4
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the 4th driver for Bathurst is going to be Jason Bright if my memory serves me correctly.

Cheers Buck.
Old 17 Aug 2000, 00:42 (Ref:30993)   #5
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yep, and Jason can't make the 500...

I think it is exactly what the event needs, with the declining figures of late...i think people may have taken Dick for granted the first tiem he retired.
Old 17 Aug 2000, 06:50 (Ref:31037)   #6
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i'm glad dick is only getting the one driving stint...i dont really want to see a shell ford out there just making up the numbers...go stevo
Old 18 Aug 2000, 20:55 (Ref:31302)   #7
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Danielsun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If sentimentality weren't an issue, they should team DJ up with Radisich - they'd be a cert (mechanical problems notwithstanding) for a podium position at the end of the race. I think he should do Bathurst, anyway; he's quick there!!