Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 15 Oct 2008, 10:08 (Ref:2312889)   #1
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Commentary at Bathurst; David Addison?

Haven't run across this on any of the other threads but I'd like to give a big thumbs up to the Pommy bloke who helped out in commentary over the weekend. I'm sure his name is David Addison. For someone who apparently has only been here twice before (for the two 24Hr races) he did a splendid job.

Had no trouble with pronunciations for a start. (unlike some...)
Knew the recent Bathurst history very well.
Gave plenty of background to the European drivers.
Named the corners correctly.
He just seemed to have a "feel" for the place.
He even took some friendly Pommy bashing on the chin.
How refreshing!

Sorry Barry Oliver but this guy runs rings around you......

Memo to V8SA. Pay Mr Addison's fare out next year.

PS Luke West also did a great job. I thought the on-course PA was the best it's been for yonks!
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 15 Oct 2008, 10:15 (Ref:2312893)   #2
adz_34
Racer

Australia
Somewhere out there
adz_34 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree whole heartidly with you Average Punter. It was refreshing to actually hear informed entertaining commentary rather than the usual tripe served up by Barry "only him and his dry cleaner know how close that was" Oliver.
Old 15 Oct 2008, 12:56 (Ref:2313028)   #3
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He's a very good, extremely well-informed commentator with huge amounts of experience both trackside and on TV. A very entertaining manner too. I've been enjoying his commentaries for many years over here.
Old 15 Oct 2008, 13:47 (Ref:2313062)   #4
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
while i didn't have the radio on much due to having a TV there when i did i thought he did a good job, accent was broad though.
Old 15 Oct 2008, 19:33 (Ref:2313298)   #5
MarkInTheStands
Racer

Australia
Lalor Park
MarkInTheStands should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I though Addison and Marranelli (sp) were quite good over the weekend.
Old 15 Oct 2008, 20:18 (Ref:2313336)   #6
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Racer
accent was broad though.
Interesting comment, since I'd say he's about as well-spoken as you can be without being poncy. I guess it proves that how you judge something depends on where you're starting from.
Old 15 Oct 2008, 21:29 (Ref:2313406)   #7
Wrighty05
Veteran

Australia
Wrighty05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought he was very good. The commentary team up there was far superior to last years.
"It was dry for the second go-around. Grice, nervous, worrying about his Bathurst jinx, ran 2:25.9. The amazing Brock, using every last centimetre of bitumen, yet keeping the car straight and balanced and at full noise, came back with a staggering 2:20.0 as if to say: "Match that". And people just shook their heads, bit their lips and wondered who would be second".

RIP Peter Brock. 1945-2006
Old 15 Oct 2008, 21:59 (Ref:2313421)   #8
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Racer
while i didn't have the radio on much due to having a TV there when i did i thought he did a good job, accent was broad though.
So you were the one on top of the campervan at the chase?

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 15 Oct 2008, 23:27 (Ref:2313477)   #9
Kid Geezer
Rookie

Kid Geezer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree 100 per cent, Average. A great blend of humor, knowledge and enthusiasm. And he didn't insult our intelligence with any of the idiotic drivel we've come to expect from the average Ocker spruikers.

Let's have all the Europeans back.
Old 16 Oct 2008, 02:43 (Ref:2313537)   #10
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Addison is an awesome commentator, whether it be through the tv or at an event. He is not afraid to speak his mind as well, for example openly declaring the Monaros at the 2002 as group 1A, two door v8 supercars
Old 18 Oct 2008, 08:07 (Ref:2315112)   #11
6.213km
Veteran

6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Glad to see others appreciated David's contribution over the weekend.

As soon as I heard his voice I though, hang on, that's the commentator from the 24Hr races ! He was great at the 24hour races - gave the race an enormous amount of credibility - he has a weath of information, and conveys it to his audience in an interesting way. Often commentators can get too bogged down in detail - Addison gives you heaps of detail but does it in a really professional & entertaining way.

I hope he is a permanent commentator at future Bathursts, he was excellent, I didn't hear him make any blunders, and he was right on the money in terms of knowing everything there is to know about our series!

Well done to whoever got him out here, and make sures he's back next year yeah! It is fairly obvious he loves our Mountain, so I'm sure he'll want to be here!
Old 27 Oct 2008, 09:57 (Ref:2321629)   #12
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
well we will get to see more, he is commentating on 7 for bahrain
Old 27 Oct 2008, 10:30 (Ref:2321658)   #13
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good news peck. But in place of who????
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 27 Oct 2008, 10:45 (Ref:2321668)   #14
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Punter
Good news peck. But in place of who????
Matty White, he has to stay home now he is in the chair of Today Tonight.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 27 Oct 2008, 10:58 (Ref:2321682)   #15
banksie
Racer

Australia
Victoria
banksie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Beretta must not have done a good enough job at Winton. But why not Aaron Noonan?
Old 27 Oct 2008, 11:24 (Ref:2321720)   #16
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Noonan was great with the Indy commentry i think he should get the nod over Matty. although i will be happy to have someone different for a change. as i said i never heard much of him at Bathurst but what i did he was good.
Old 27 Oct 2008, 11:56 (Ref:2321736)   #17
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've gotta agree. Aaron Noonan (or however its spelt) did a great job on the indy commentary. I think he could ably step up to the main game based on that effort. Quite surprised me, actually.

I still think HG and Roy should do the commentary...