Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

View Poll Results: Should drivers be mandated to remain in their regular car in the enduros?
Yes 33 68.75%
No 15 31.25%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14 Oct 2009, 03:56 (Ref:2560991)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Splitting main game drivers for the enduros (Now With Poll)

The possibility of the mandating main game drivers to remain in their regular car is detailed Here again.

Does it make sense to keep them in the same car, or separate them?

Given the number of 'B' and 'C' cars run in the enduros, while the 'A' car is rested in the shed, it might make sense to try to get 29 + friends cars with their regular pilots to at least make the practice and qualifying show a real contest...

Would it increase the number of main game teams assisting their Fujitsu cousins, to fertilise the driver pool for themselves?

Wins or round? Or Not... Answers in the poll I suppose, but commentary also welcome!
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 14 Oct 2009, 05:13 (Ref:2561008)   #2
EBXR8
Veteran

Australia
Australia
EBXR8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Look i see no issue in this, It's a 50/50 gamble. If it works both regular drivers get 300 points, if it goes belly up then it is a major championship dent. Take this year for example if Lowndes and Whincup crashed out then Davidson and Tander would be 1-2 in the chamionship at present. I say let them do what they want, even if they pair their regulars in the cars it still opens two spots up for new blood in the spare car.
Old 14 Oct 2009, 06:21 (Ref:2561035)   #3
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Add an option in your poll -

Quote:
remove championship status from the enduros, therefore it doesn't matter
I still have a problem with a championship runner potentially losing points as a result of their co driver stuffing up in his or her car. And it is irrelevant if the co driver is a championship regular, someone else could still negatively (or even positively) affect your championship.

Just let em go at it. No need to change dates etc. Rugby league does something similar come state of origin.
Old 14 Oct 2009, 06:22 (Ref:2561036)   #4
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's interesting.

But the tradition is for teams to have the choice, and it's a good one.

An international can join a gun driver to win, or two established drivers can add to their tally... it's good variety.
Old 14 Oct 2009, 07:12 (Ref:2561057)   #5
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Voted for them to remain in their "usual" cars, but the "enduro's" have to revert back to stand alone events IMO.
Old 14 Oct 2009, 09:14 (Ref:2561102)   #6
David Brand
Rookie

David Brand should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I say no.

I'd much rather see the best drivers pair up to get the ultimate out of the car over the day. 3-5 cars fighting it out at a top level pace for the whole day is far more enjoyable than watching 10 mediocre cars fight it out.

This year's Bathurst was one of the closest in terms of numbers of cars in the hunt at full pace, and it's probably the most pairings of regular drivers ever.

Making them split up just further increases the influence of the championship on Bathurst, and I'd rather see it return to a standalone event. In either case, championship round or not, the best entertainment and racing can only come from gun pairings.
Old 14 Oct 2009, 09:25 (Ref:2561107)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If we wish to improve the depth of talent in motorsport in this country, one way to achieve this is for the premier category to call upon other classes of racing to provide that talent.

Not just paydrivers and stuff, but genuine talent shining through, risks being taken, good drivers being coveted and feted...

Conceptually the mandating of a driver to his/her main game car opens up opportunities that dont really exist. Any team that says their #2 cars can win is not being honest with itself... with a few notable exceptions... but generally this is not the case....
Old 14 Oct 2009, 10:43 (Ref:2561145)   #8
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As an interesting aside. Assuming this rule was in for last weekends Bathurst, how do you think 888 and HRT would have gone with drivers?

Would Thompson and Simonsen still get a gig?
And what about Baird?
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 14 Oct 2009, 10:52 (Ref:2561152)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Punter View Post
As an interesting aside. Assuming this rule was in for last weekends Bathurst, how do you think 888 and HRT would have gone with drivers?

Would Thompson and Simonsen still get a gig?
And what about Baird?
Mr Simonsen would likely have, Mr Thompson perhaps not...

Not sure about Mr Baird...
Old 14 Oct 2009, 11:02 (Ref:2561161)   #10
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mr Baird seems to be a gun in anything but the V8's...
Old 14 Oct 2009, 11:56 (Ref:2561201)   #11
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Punter View Post
Going on pace and stratagy it would have been a GRM 1-2
Wonder if Gary has signed up his enduro drivers for next year?

I don't know about this poll.

I like see seeing top line fulltime drivers paired up.

but it would mean talent over money, goodbye pay drivers.
Old 14 Oct 2009, 12:01 (Ref:2561208)   #12
krypto71
Racer

krypto71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Absolutely yes yes yes.

I would much rather see more competitive cars in the enduro races. I also think that it would give more non-regular and/or Fujitsu series drivers a real chance to get up there and share in some of the limelight.

Steve
Old 14 Oct 2009, 22:16 (Ref:2561595)   #13
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
My preference is for two "guns" in a car - the cars with two guns are going to race harder all day. You can look at #25 this year as a case in point - a good, regular steerer plus someone who is new to it. Quite a difference in pace.

It is an interesting question isn't it? Do we want a hard, close race or do we want to feel all warm & fuzzy about upcoming drivers but the race itself is not as good?

If drivers are only allowed in their regular cars then it does reinforce Bathurst being just another round of the series too (although a very important one).

In my view it is better to let teams do their own thing - their are enough restrictions all ready I think.
Old 16 Oct 2009, 02:46 (Ref:2562432)   #14
Woolcor
Rookie

Australia
Brisbane Qld
Woolcor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I say yes. Personally I feel dudded not seeing the top echelon drivers up against each other at the greatest track in the known universe. Imagine the last 20 laps of this years race with all the regulars in their respective cars still on track at the time. Would have been a hell of a finish then. Would love to have seen Garth going head to head with Will, Rick vs Todd, Craig vs Jamie etc etc. The Sprint Gas team showed that keeping the top drivers split doesn't harm a team and can be the opposite. The way it is now you have half the field as genuine contenders and the other half making up the numbers.
Old 16 Oct 2009, 05:55 (Ref:2562490)   #15
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F J Nedos View Post
Just let em go at it. No need to change dates etc. Rugby league does something similar come state of origin.
Agreed. It is a farce that the event has been turned into another championship round.