Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Closed Thread

Old 18 Dec 2012, 21:33 (Ref:3179897)   #51
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Yes I think it's impossible to keep 3 similar series afloat - Aus has 20-odd million people (or 20 million odd people ) so it's a tad easier to find the money over there.

But the NZV8/V8CC merger is a good idea, using TL chassis with updated engines and drivetrain for cost effectiveness.

And I hate to say it, but there really isn't a place for the TLX cars in this picture, which I guess would put them rather nicely in GT1, which could make a nice support class.

I won't say categorically that it can't happen, but I think it is highly unlikely that we will see any more than the 5 current or under construction TLX cars on the track.
Old 18 Dec 2012, 21:39 (Ref:3179898)   #52
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingduck View Post
WOW STFAN

Not sure many knew the cars we built off a common platform, I'm not sure that Hyundai or the Kia are even that good looking as you say.

Why will it be cool to have a third body shape, adding in a High and Dry will only add to parity worries between Aero on the different body kits. This is a problem I can see the TLX boys are going to struggle with, why do you think it would be different for ST? Unless the Hyundai/Kia are going to pay for parity aero testing then all good but I doubt that. Look at what Supercars are doing with there series to check on the Aero for the Mercs and Nissans.

Also why would we have 3 classes of V8's in NZ. I struggle to see us having 2 with the $$ needing to be spent to run competitive cars, NZ just isn't that big to run that many series. They need to find a cost containment method for the TL/CC cars so that they can be run for 5K to 8K max a round and then we can promote as a class for the up and comers. Maybe different engines will help that but cost containment is the major issue for me in a feeder class so Dads check book doesn't win driver skill does.

Hi FD i think you missed my point. I am not talking about having 3 series, thats just ludicrous. What i am referring to is a third manufacturer coming into the ST series. ST have said all along that they intend for the class to be open to other manufacturers - i guess they can make body panels fit (as they do with the commies and cooners right now), so with a bit of stretching here, and cutting there, they could fit the panels to make it look like an i45, or Optima, whichever they go with. In no way am i implying that we would have 3 separate series, i dont know where you got that impression

I see you point about aero parity, but my understanding was most of that parity is achieved by the standard rear wing and the front splitter
Old 18 Dec 2012, 21:44 (Ref:3179902)   #53
flyingduck
Veteran

flyingduck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post

Instead the feeder series to the ST's will still be the old TL spec cars, but its still last centuries technology. In my perfect world the TL cars would be pushed into a tier 3 series, while tier 2 will be the MRX chassis, and tier 1 will be the ST's

Then we would have a similar structure to Australia, where they have the Kumho series, DVS and of course V8SC.

Sorry this is why I thought that you wanted 3 series am I wrong in thinking that is what you said
Old 18 Dec 2012, 21:52 (Ref:3179908)   #54
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Quote:
Sorry this is why I thought that you wanted 3 series am I wrong in thinking that is what you said

Ahh sorry i get you now i thought you meant three top tier series. But i am referring to my perfect world (which of course doesn't exist) where we could have tier 1, 2 and 3 as we have the cars here to do it. Silly comment to make on my part to be honest as its just a dream
Old 18 Dec 2012, 22:05 (Ref:3179910)   #55
flyingduck
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post
Hi FD i think you missed my point. I am not talking about having 3 series, thats just ludicrous. What i am referring to is a third manufacturer coming into the ST series. ST have said all along that they intend for the class to be open to other manufacturers - i guess they can make body panels fit (as they do with the commies and cooners right now), so with a bit of stretching here, and cutting there, they could fit the panels to make it look like an i45, or Optima, whichever they go with. In no way am i implying that we would have 3 separate series, i dont know where you got that impression

I see you point about aero parity, but my understanding was most of that parity is achieved by the standard rear wing and the front splitter

So is there no benefit in having a different panels on the cars, some teams may disagree with that, I believe that slightly different bonnets and boot lids can have a big difference when the cars are so even. Look at the M3 boys getting pinged in the last round for incorrect body work.
Old 18 Dec 2012, 22:13 (Ref:3179915)   #56
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Quote:
So is there no benefit in having a different panels on the cars, some teams may disagree with that, I believe that slightly different bonnets and boot lids can have a big difference when the cars are so even. Look at the M3 boys getting pinged in the last round for incorrect body work.
Well i guess that may be a topic of dispute if these Hyundais do come on board. At a glance the i45 is quite a slick car through the C-pillar so one could suggest that there may be advantages for that particular car. But, it has always been stated by V8ST that the class is open to other manufacturers, so one would think any aero parity issues will be compensated for.

It could be a can of worms with a tin-opener near by to be frank FD. So you do raise an excellent point in my view. Time will tell
Old 20 Dec 2012, 03:48 (Ref:3180256)   #57
flyingduck
Veteran

So there should be 4 new cars coming on board for 2012 does anyone know any of the names?
Old 20 Dec 2012, 03:52 (Ref:3180258)   #58
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Quote:
So there should be 4 new cars coming on board for 2012 does anyone know any of the names?
I dont at the moment (except possibly one which is all hush hush). But i would have thought some on here would know??

Wonder who the 2nd JMR car will go to as well?
Old 20 Dec 2012, 04:22 (Ref:3180265)   #59
flyingduck
Veteran

Well I remember reading an old article which said the additional license had been sold to the team that ran Scott a guy that ran in the production series from memory he was backed by yahoo in the production series, John penny and international Motorsport but it was so long ago it was before they brought the knight car.
Old 20 Dec 2012, 04:29 (Ref:3180270)   #60
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
Yes I think it's impossible to keep 3 similar series afloat - Aus has 20-odd million people (or 20 million odd people ) so it's a tad easier to find the money over there.

But the NZV8/V8CC merger is a good idea, using TL chassis with updated engines and drivetrain for cost effectiveness.

And I hate to say it, but there really isn't a place for the TLX cars in this picture, which I guess would put them rather nicely in GT1, which could make a nice support class.

I won't say categorically that it can't happen, but I think it is highly unlikely that we will see any more than the 5 current or under construction TLX cars on the track.
Old 20 Dec 2012, 04:40 (Ref:3180273)   #61
BackSeat Driver
Racer

BackSeat Driver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I assume you mean 2013 but we all get the jist.

I heard (Im sure Petch will correct me if Im wrong) 2 are shelled up in Hiyundai bodies and the other 2 are just bare chassis at the moment. All 4 are over in Aussie in Creepys workshop.
Old 20 Dec 2012, 05:49 (Ref:3180281)   #62
tacmacnzl
Rookie

tacmacnzl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Well I remember reading an old article which said the additional license had been sold to the team that ran Scott a guy that ran in the production series from memory he was backed by yahoo in the production series, John penny and international Motorsport but it was so long ago it was before they brought the knight car.
Quote:
I heard (Im sure Petch will correct me if Im wrong) 2 are shelled up in Hiyundai bodies and the other 2 are just bare chassis at the moment. All 4 are over in Aussie in Creepys workshop.
The 1st of the four new cars is being built in NZ at the moment
Old 20 Dec 2012, 06:12 (Ref:3180284)   #63
nistfan
Racer

New Zealand
nistfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Better make that 2013, 2012 is Just about History
Old 20 Dec 2012, 08:32 (Ref:3180315)   #64
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
V8ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacmacnzl View Post
The 1st of the four new cars is being built in NZ at the moment
tacmacnz,

I can confirm that you are indeed correct with regard to the 21st car. The car, Holden Commodore VE 2, is owned by Michael Ninkranz, and is being assembled in Matamata over the summer break.

Car 22 has a fully paid non refundable option on it, and chassis 23 & 24 are currently un-committed, and for sale.

Talk of two Hyundai's under build at Pace Innovations is just that, talk, and speculation and as we all know talk is cheap.

I can say for a fact that nobody has purchased a Hyundai bodied V8 Supertourer, and that we V8ST have had no discussion's with the Hyundai Motor Company, or Hyundai New Zealand.

Having said that we are very open to building a third manufactures V8ST, and we are aware that some of Teams have spoken to other manufacturers, and as always our door is wide open.

Mark Petch.
Managing Director,
V8 Supertourers limited.
Old 20 Dec 2012, 20:59 (Ref:3180552)   #65
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Thanks Mark. Anyone know if McIntyre has made progress on selling his second car?
Old 21 Dec 2012, 21:40 (Ref:3180937)   #66
BackSeat Driver
Racer

BackSeat Driver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post

I can say for a fact that nobody has purchased a Hyundai bodied V8 Supertourer, and that we V8ST have had no discussion's with the Hyundai Motor Company, or Hyundai New Zealand.
Erabus did it with Mercedes bodies (no backing from Mercedes Benz) so possibly someone could do the same with your series?? There fore you wouldn't have to talk to Hyundai Motor Company, or Hyundai New Zealand for permission, (they possibly wouldn't like the idea of a chevy powered iLS3 anyhow).

If you had a wealthy car sales yard owner prepared to donate a couple of cars for investigation prior to purchase then Im sure you (V8ST) would be keen.

Have a good Christmas & a great break, 54 days 22 hrs to go!

Last edited by BackSeat Driver; 21 Dec 2012 at 21:43. Reason: Added some xmas cheer!
Old 24 Dec 2012, 05:44 (Ref:3181553)   #67
flyingduck
Veteran

Heard the new schedule is out for the class sound like no manfield
Old 24 Dec 2012, 08:23 (Ref:3181584)   #68
Caterhamf1
Rookie

Caterhamf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Heard the new schedule is out for the class sound like no manfield
Also read that the sprint rounds are a one day event? Can't quite figure how that will work, also what about the support classes I wonder?
Old 26 Dec 2012, 01:15 (Ref:3181904)   #69
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caterhamf1 View Post
Also read that the sprint rounds are a one day event? Can't quite figure how that will work, also what about the support classes I wonder?
The Sprint Rounds, are still a two day event, with Supertourers having a total of two hour practise on Saturday afternoon. Support class's, V8 Challenge Cup, V8 Utes, Muscle Cars, XtremeSport, Honda Cup and Suzuki Sport, also get to practise on Friday, qualify and race Saturday and Sunday. However qualifying and all 3 V8ST sprint race's are on Sunday, so big day for both the teams and the paying public.

Mark Petch.
Managing Director,
V8 Supertourers Limited.
Old 26 Dec 2012, 10:50 (Ref:3181950)   #70
Blackpearl
Racer

Blackpearl is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
The Sprint Rounds, are still a two day event, with Supertourers having a total of two hour practise on Saturday afternoon. Support class's, V8 Challenge Cup, V8 Utes, Muscle Cars, XtremeSport, Honda Cup and Suzuki Sport, also get to practise on Friday, qualify and race Saturday and Sunday. However qualifying and all 3 V8ST sprint race's are on Sunday, so big day for both the teams and the paying public.

Mark Petch.
Managing Director,
V8 Supertourers Limited.
That's putting alot on the teams for sunday, tyres getting changed, fuel to get.

Not much turn around if someone has a opps so one less if not more. Could work but if a incident occurs then those guys would need spare parts at the ready, which i have heard is not much is in the supertouerer truck.
Old 26 Dec 2012, 20:17 (Ref:3182047)   #71
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Understand it's going to be REALLY full on for the teams, but as a spectator I think it's a BRILLIANT idea!!!
Finally someone is looking at 'value' in terms of how much bang for buck spectators get in terms of time invested... Spending an entire Sunday at the track to see the main attraction on track twice ain't good value (no matter how cheap it is)....
Old 26 Dec 2012, 22:21 (Ref:3182081)   #72
Jerico
Veteran

New Zealand
Jerico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do not think it is possible to run three sprint races, plus qualifying on
the same day.
A maximum for a day in my way of thinking would be three sprint races
total, to successfully fill a day of ST racing.

I know there is not the same amount of suspension changes etc now
with the ST's, not like to old NZV8's. I thought that the serious thinking
was to have as little changes as possible, to enable teams to reduce
the number of people that are actually required to service these cars.
If you are going to fill the days to this extent, then teams will have to
again increase the overheads.

Maybe it might be worth a re think Mark, I don't think the teams will
be interested in an over filled race day as you are suggesting. If a team
has car damage or has mechanical issues, then the time available to them
to repair and turn that car around for the next race would be impossible.

I also hope that SuperTourier has implemented a better stock control
system on the parts truck for this coming season. There needs to be
a minimum stock level arrived at, so parts are readily and continuously
available when the teams need them.
Old 26 Dec 2012, 22:57 (Ref:3182086)   #73
Club racer
Racer

Club racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It can be done easily I reckon. We took our car along to a one dayer at HD and all seven or it might have even been eight classes managed qualifying and three races on one day. V8ST programm not really too far different other than the races for the ST cars are longer. Fill Saturday up with qually and one race for the support classes and you'll do it easily, and have plenty of time for STs. Feel for these guys, one minute they are being bagged for having a gap on Sunday's programme, the next they are bagged for trying to fill it. lol.

Sounds good Mark, good classes, good programme and plenty on Sunday.

It's a shame about Manfeild. And Ruapuna if they are not on the calendar, but I suspect in their case it is simply a question of economics on the part of ST. I heard on the grapevine that Ruapuna want nearly $100,000 hire for the circuit for the weekend (This came from a CCC member so not sure whether it is correct) and to me that seems completely out of kilter in regards to where the economic climate is. Price yourself out of the market and the business will go elsewhere - that's a rudimentary rule of macro economics.
Old 26 Dec 2012, 23:13 (Ref:3182091)   #74
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Club racer View Post
It can be done easily I reckon. We took our car along to a one dayer at HD and all seven or it might have even been eight classes managed qualifying and three races on one day. V8ST programm not really too far different other than the races for the ST cars are longer. Fill Saturday up with qually and one race for the support classes and you'll do it easily, and have plenty of time for STs. Feel for these guys, one minute they are being bagged for having a gap on Sunday's programme, the next they are bagged for trying to fill it. lol.

Sounds good Mark, good classes, good programme and plenty on Sunday.

It's a shame about Manfeild. And Ruapuna if they are not on the calendar, but I suspect in their case it is simply a question of economics on the part of ST. I heard on the grapevine that Ruapuna want nearly $100,000 hire for the circuit for the weekend (This came from a CCC member so not sure whether it is correct) and to me that seems completely out of kilter in regards to where the economic climate is. Price yourself out of the market and the business will go elsewhere - that's a rudimentary rule of macro economics.
Club racer,

I am not going to get into a debate on this or any other forum, however, what i will say is that the team owners want to reduce cost as much as possible, and by and large the changes we have made, offer the best bang for buck for the paying spectators, and at one and the same time, reduce cost's to the team's, so it's a true win/win situation.

Travel and accommodation are very significant cost's as is circuit hire, so we must cut our cloth to suit, unlike AV8SC we have no local government subsidies, so every dollar spent has to be in the best interest's of our Teams, and our collective sponsors, who all want "free to air" same day television coverage.

Mark Petch.
Managing Director,
V8 Supertourers Limited.
Old 27 Dec 2012, 09:03 (Ref:3182165)   #75
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Club racer View Post
Interesting - if that is true. I understood the circuits generally charged a fixed hireage fee for the track, either for a day or a weeekend and the hirer pays extra for such luxuries as a PA system; radios and lunches for marshals; ambo; breakdown/recovery etc. If the promoter wants extra temporary stands, extra staff, or other luxuries such as security etc, then the promoter pays.
Running a one day meeting at Hampton Downs but with no frills, costs about $12,000 a day, so paying out $100,000 for a weekend seems a bit over the top.