Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 24 Dec 2012, 23:01 (Ref:3181753)   #26
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerf1champ View Post
I don't know what that tastes like. I would try to either.
Wouldn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig1 View Post
Greg who?
Good one!
Old 24 Dec 2012, 23:50 (Ref:3181766)   #27
Sheep Stations
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Sheep Stations should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Filthy, I am. Damn him for that one lap. How on earth was this clown allowed to win Bathurst 4 times??? It's kind of funny how a few days of inspiration counters 18 years of mediocrity. A poor reflection on New Zealanders that he is a popular figure.

Seriously Marcos, you should've punched this spanner's head in that day at Bathurst. An opportunity missed.
A very positive reflection on kiwis that no responses to a loud mouth agitator talking absolute rubbish.
Old 25 Dec 2012, 05:28 (Ref:3181778)   #28
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Southern Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Filthy, I am. Damn him for that one lap. How on earth was this clown allowed to win Bathurst 4 times??? It's kind of funny how a few days of inspiration counters 18 years of mediocrity. A poor reflection on New Zealanders that he is a popular figure.
If what yiu say is true then it really is an even sadder reflection on our friends from the west island that he stood out and was so successfull when standing amongst them.

Murph, I will remember Bathurst but not as much as I remember Wellington when you were co-driving with Brock and pulled those passes near the end of race, awe inspiring stuff. I remember too the struggles in the Formular Pacific and when the atttude came out with the Formula Holdens.

Thanks for the endless hours of pleasure and debate you have caused me and thanks for remaining true to yourself. I wish you well in your future endevours.
Old 25 Dec 2012, 22:46 (Ref:3181885)   #29
M Jones
Rookie

M Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How can I block this "neverF1champ" guy? Very misinformed and annoying.
Old 25 Dec 2012, 22:53 (Ref:3181887)   #30
ForumNick
Veteran

Australia
ForumNick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"If there are particular members that bother you and you do not want to see their posts or receive Private Messages and Emails from them, then you can add these members to your 'Ignore List':

Through your User Control Panel: User CP, Settings & Options, Edit Ignore List. Then, type their name into the empty text box and click 'Okay'."

FROM HERE......
Old 26 Dec 2012, 00:20 (Ref:3181895)   #31
GHOGH
Racer

GHOGH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Murph

Maybe Murph could co-drive for the Giz in the NZRC if the dates don't clash with the Super Tourers.
Murph is a pro who has usually made the best of the cards he has been dealt.
Old 26 Dec 2012, 00:20 (Ref:3181896)   #32
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fair enough there are people who disagree with my posts. Although, reading the thread over again, few posters seem to really care that Murphy's going. NZers are also misguided if they think any dislike of him is as a result of some anzac rivalry. I will also say I get an impression that Sheep Stations would've taken any oppportunity to have a pop at me after the spat over on the Shannons thread, even if he's not really passionate about this specific topic.

But it is beyond laughable that some blow in, who averages a whopping 1.5 posts per year, has any valid means for criticising me, let alone coming up with specific reasons as to why I'm "misinformed". Poor form that FormuNick acknowledged her post, it'd probably be two years before Marion even bothers to log in. Ridiculous.
Old 26 Dec 2012, 00:27 (Ref:3181899)   #33
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I am disappointed that Mr Murphy is leaving. He has brought an maintained number of new and existing sponsors to the sport, and on that basis, if they choose to leave with him, the sport will be the poorer for his retirement.

That Mr Murphy is still capable & motivated to drive at the level he wishes to is the only real issue for debate. I would have said that following the 2011 Bathurst 1000, the talent was still there, waiting for am opportunity to come his way that he could build into his own.

The relationship between the driver and his team, including the name sakes, and the 'tall bloke' that wanted to take over HSV some day... was said to be quite a negative one... that Mr Murphy kept his head down and fought every weekend is a testament to his professionalism, and not wanting to burn the sponsor.

A sponsor who it is said received a legal letter from its 2011/12 team suggesting that they may be contractually unable to announce a 2013 program with a different team...

Just stupid stuff.

Wonder if Mr Murphy will take 2013 out to write a book about his adventures?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 26 Dec 2012, 01:00 (Ref:3181902)   #34
rik
Veteran

rik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
The relationship between the driver and his team, including the name sakes, and the 'tall bloke' that wanted to take over HSV some day... was said to be quite a negative one...
Wonder if Crennan will put that in his 'tell all' book?
Old 26 Dec 2012, 01:25 (Ref:3181905)   #35
Sheep Stations
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Sheep Stations should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Fair enough there are people who disagree with my posts. Although, reading the thread over again, few posters seem to really care that Murphy's going. NZers are also misguided if they think any dislike of him is as a result of some anzac rivalry. I will also say I get an impression that Sheep Stations would've taken any oppportunity to have a pop at me after the spat over on the Shannons thread, even if he's not really passionate about this specific topic.
I'm playing the posts, not the man my friend. It's you who chooses to be inflammatory and has a crack at women in Motorsport as being space occupiers on one thread then is nothing short of insulting in your summary on Greg Murphy and NZers who do/have supported him on this one. As a long time ex-pat, you keep choosing the subjects...

Murphs done in the big game...it happens to all elite sportsmen eventually, nothing new here. But there was a time he was flying...that's how I'll remember him. And as a proud kiwi.
Old 26 Dec 2012, 02:02 (Ref:3181908)   #36
HProject
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
HProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That Mr Murphy is still capable & motivated to drive at the level he wishes to is the only real issue for debate.
I think that his 2011 season of V8 Supercars and his 2012 season in the SuperTourers are testament to the fact that the kid can still drive.

I was in the Pukekohe SuperTourer media conference where this conversation occured (most of it isn't included in the story, but you get the jist of the conversation's direction): http://www.speedcafe.co.nz/2012/10/2...ekohe-results/

The season Murphy's had in SuperTourers has lifted his personal morale and confidence to heights it hasn't been at in a long time. His mood for the entire Puke SuperTourer round was very light and bubbly. We all had a laugh at the podium post champagne, when Murph said "what a stupid ritual", with a big smile on his face, dripping in drink. His spiel in the media conference made me think that he has zero doubts in his own personal ability, and that makes me think that he'll be trying as hard as he can to get a full-time drive - if not in 2013, in 2014.
Old 26 Dec 2012, 02:23 (Ref:3181909)   #37
GHOGH
Racer

GHOGH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Murph book

Quote:
I am disappointed that Mr Murphy is leaving. He has brought an maintained number of new and existing sponsors to the sport, and on that basis, if they choose to leave with him, the sport will be the poorer for his retirement.

That Mr Murphy is still capable & motivated to drive at the level he wishes to is the only real issue for debate. I would have said that following the 2011 Bathurst 1000, the talent was still there, waiting for am opportunity to come his way that he could build into his own.

The relationship between the driver and his team, including the name sakes, and the 'tall bloke' that wanted to take over HSV some day... was said to be quite a negative one... that Mr Murphy kept his head down and fought every weekend is a testament to his professionalism, and not wanting to burn the sponsor.

A sponsor who it is said received a legal letter from its 2011/12 team suggesting that they may be contractually unable to announce a 2013 program with a different team...

Just stupid stuff.

Wonder if Mr Murphy will take 2013 out to write a book about his adventures?
Murph has already written a book. He only needs to write a few extra chapters, that you can download/ printout so you can glue them into the
back.
http://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/B...raphy/7572107/
Old 30 Dec 2012, 02:34 (Ref:3182863)   #38
Winston05
Rookie

Australia
Tasmania, Australia
Winston05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
He hasn't really achieved a lot in the last few years. Neither did Bargwanna, and he's gone. Skaife's form slumped, and he left. Same goes for Seton, Morris, etc.

We know Ingall's next. Steve Johnson won't be too far behind.

You can't drive these things forever. If you're in the bottom half of the field, 90% of the time, you'll be fighting to keep your seat next season.
To suggest that Skaife's left because his form slumped would be like suggesting that Johnson Jnr has a drive based on pure racing talent! It's no secret that Skaife was carrying too much load, added to by Walkinshaw trying to screw him over and take control of HRT. What Walkinshaw and HMS did to Skaife was disgusting. Without Skaife it was possible that HRT would have been sold or kicked out of the competition (thank to Holden's dodgy purchase of the team). What was he supposed to do? Resign from the team that he previosly owned and drive for another one? It's not by coincidence that so many ex-HRT guys have found a happy home with the Kellys. My point being that Skaife's form was a symptom of why he retired, not the cause.

Ingall? When are the fans going to understand that turning fifty doesn't mean you are past it!?! Traditionally, the biggest problem with older drivers is that they get fat and unfit. If you can't lean into the corner, you'll lose time. And if you are unfit, you won't be able to consistently hammer out fast times lap after lap after lap. However, if you can find an older driver that is still in shape, you have the advantage of having a guy in the seat that's seen it and done it all before. Based on Ingall's form this year, how could anybody argue that he needs to go? He brings sponsors and experience to a team, and unlike Murph still turns in consistently good performances.

SJ highlights the main issue with DJR: Crap decisions. He really should have been booted by the end of his second year. Sure, he can drive okay now, but who wouldn't with the kind of support that he has had, and with a points system that rewards consistency? Still, what do you expect from a guy whose business model is still built around a freak accident with a rock thirty years ago?

Murph's main problem is that for years he has basically had a sook and underperformed when the car wasn't doing what he wanted it to do (read: be as fast as the fastest cars while still suiting his setup preferences and driving style). And for me, this was the most frustrating thing about Murph. He was clearly very talented, and capable of driving a car right on the limit. But unlike Lowndes, Skaife, and basically anybody else that is/was consistently competitive, he wouldn't find the limit with a car that wasn't 100% perfectly set up, and was too busy having an internal cry about it to focus on getting the most out of what he had. Obviously it was his sponsor dollars and the possibility of a good Bathurst showing that kept him in a seat over the past few years, but I think his need for surgery on his long problematic back this year added another question that no team would have wanted to deal with. Plus there have been missed rounds in past years because of TV committments, in a championship where a missed round basically means game over. I don't think that any of the teams in the coming year intend to have a car in the championship running around the back just to collect sponsorship dollars, since there is now always the opportunity to attract a new manufacturer to the team. I suspect that was exactly why Murph had a drive with the Kellys this year. Performance meant squat, they just needed somebody in the seat that would help cover the costs, so that they could afford to have four cars to lure Nissan with. The whole "Didn't want to drive for anybody other than Holden" seems more like a case of trying to spin a negative outcome into something that might help his image and post-racing career.

Anyway, I'm guessing right now that Murph's agent will be in discussions with 888 regarding a drive with Lowndes. That makes sense, unless Skaife does resign from his current COTF post, which has been suggested on here previously. I guess 888 can afford both?