Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 27 Jan 2013, 10:25 (Ref:3194818)   #1
Smurfer
Racer

Australia
Smurfer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Australian GT - where does the funding come from?

Hi all,

Just curious as to where the funding comes from in relation to the various touring car teams. I realise it's sponsorship though is it a case of the main sponsor wanting to go racing and so starts their own team?

From what I've seen there's very small crowds (when it's not a v8 supercar round) and TV coverage is average as well. These cars aren't cheap and the ongoing costs must be huge. I know a similar question could be asked of other forms of Aust motorsport however I imagine these cars are up there in terms of initial and ongoing costs.

I'm glad they do it as I enjoy seeing and listening to these cars as much as any racing in Aust, just not sure where all the money is coming from and the incentive to spend such amounts.

Cheerio
Old 27 Jan 2013, 10:49 (Ref:3194828)   #2
ff s conscience
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
ff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfer View Post
Hi all,

Just curious as to where the funding comes from in relation to the various touring car teams. I realise it's sponsorship though is it a case of the main sponsor wanting to go racing and so starts their own team?

From what I've seen there's very small crowds (when it's not a v8 supercar round) and TV coverage is average as well. These cars aren't cheap and the ongoing costs must be huge. I know a similar question could be asked of other forms of Aust motorsport however I imagine these cars are up there in terms of initial and ongoing costs.

I'm glad they do it as I enjoy seeing and listening to these cars as much as any racing in Aust, just not sure where all the money is coming from and the incentive to spend such amounts.

Cheerio
What do you mean "these cars arent cheap"

A Falcon or Commodore race car costs perhaps 10 times more than the road car.

An exotic GT racers costs less than the road car version.

Its gentlemen racing with their loose change.
Old 27 Jan 2013, 11:04 (Ref:3194829)   #3
Smurfer
Racer

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff s conscience View Post
What do you mean "these cars arent cheap"

A Falcon or Commodore race car costs perhaps 10 times more than the road car.

An exotic GT racers costs less than the road car version.

Its gentlemen racing with their loose change.
Thanks for the reply. I wasn't suggesting they were more expensive than the v8 supercars or that they are more expensive than their road going counterparts (though as far as I've read there isn't much of a difference on the latter).

If you are right about it being wealthy individuals funding it with their own (or businesses) money then you've confirmed my thoughts.
Old 27 Jan 2013, 11:45 (Ref:3194844)   #4
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There are a lot of people who have a genuine and intense desire to go racing.
There are a number of people who through luck, talent and hard work break through at a young age and get the opportunity to do it as a job.
There are many more who don't get that opportunity and start businesses who take the opportunity to dedicate part of that business success to going racing.
For those, the more successful they are at business, the better the race car gets.
GT is thus the home of some very passionate racers who are smart enough to have succeeded in business and talented enough to drive the most exciting race cars in the country.
Takes me hat off too em.
Old 27 Jan 2013, 11:52 (Ref:3194846)   #5
Smurfer
Racer

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
Takes me hat off too em.
Indeed.

I would do the same if I were in their position.
Old 27 Jan 2013, 14:32 (Ref:3194885)   #6
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfer View Post
If you are right about it being wealthy individuals funding it with their own (or businesses) money then you've confirmed my thoughts.
What exactly are your thoughts?

Where the majority of the $$$ come from to get a car on the grid for Australian GT is no different to what it takes in other GT and Sportscar Championships the world over.

Take for instance Le Mans, two of the four classes at Le Mans demand an amatuer being part of the driving squad (and usually the amateur is the one providing a good bulk of the money putting the car on the grid)
Old 28 Jan 2013, 02:19 (Ref:3195090)   #7
ff s conscience
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
ff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
There are a lot of people who have a genuine and intense desire to go racing.
There are a number of people who through luck, talent and hard work break through at a young age and get the opportunity to do it as a job.
There are many more who don't get that opportunity and start businesses who take the opportunity to dedicate part of that business success to going racing.
For those, the more successful they are at business, the better the race car gets.
GT is thus the home of some very passionate racers who are smart enough to have succeeded in business and talented enough to drive the most exciting race cars in the country.
Takes me hat off too em.
absolutely, 100% spot on.
Old 31 Jan 2013, 10:35 (Ref:3196514)   #8
Librules
Rookie

Librules should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
.....except for the talent bit with some, but good luck to them regardless.....
Old 1 Feb 2013, 09:19 (Ref:3196990)   #9
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
yeah they got the money but got no skills to match, I guess Im on the opposite side of the conundrum.
Old 1 Feb 2013, 09:23 (Ref:3196992)   #10
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Costs would close to on par with a front-running DVS car, wouldn't you agree?
Old 1 Feb 2013, 11:14 (Ref:3197051)   #11
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
yeah they got the money but got no skills to match, I guess Im on the opposite side of the conundrum.
Name these GT drivers with no skills?
Old 1 Feb 2013, 11:35 (Ref:3197057)   #12
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Name these GT drivers with no skills?
paul morris lmao
Old 1 Feb 2013, 13:29 (Ref:3197105)   #13
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
paul morris lmao
Hmm, in GT a paid driver, primarily a V8 supercar development sometime endurance driver. Not your best example FAS.
Old 1 Feb 2013, 22:40 (Ref:3197747)   #14
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
One could make the assertion that Mr Morris has the wood on the majority of the field in terms of achievements.
Old 3 Feb 2013, 01:23 (Ref:3198360)   #15
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Costs would close to on par with a front-running DVS car, wouldn't you agree?
If thats the case then if FAS's DVS drive falls over he could end up in Aus GT. Exciting times
Old 3 Feb 2013, 10:08 (Ref:3198474)   #16
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always thought GT drivers had access to some kind of money tree. Despite what he's achieved, Paul Morris is just a fat ****, and a terrible driver, terrible racer.
Old 3 Feb 2013, 10:37 (Ref:3198495)   #17
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
paul morris lmao
As in the Paul Morris who won 4 Australian Super Touring Championships?

As in Paul Morris who got a Bathurst pole against world class opposition (and but for a driver change would have won the race)?

As in Paul Morris who won at Macau?

As in Paul Morris who won a New Zealand TraNZam title?

As in Paul Morris who is an ATCC/V8SCS race & round winner?

Yep, no skill in that driver at all
Old 3 Feb 2013, 10:58 (Ref:3198516)   #18
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Don't forget-he's also the longest serving head of the Leigh Mertens fan club.
Old 4 Feb 2013, 05:31 (Ref:3198926)   #19
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'm sorry but I just can't stop laughing at this, besides the 'P-Plater Problem?' thing you've got this just takes the cake for largest ego dick swing!

Also agree with the others, Paul Morris isn't 'lmao' material. I think you'd have to look hard abroad to find truly terrible pay drivers.
Old 4 Feb 2013, 06:04 (Ref:3198935)   #20
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
As in the Paul Morris who won 4 Australian Super Touring Championships?

As in Paul Morris who got a Bathurst pole against world class opposition (and but for a driver change would have won the race)?

As in Paul Morris who won at Macau?

As in Paul Morris who won a New Zealand TraNZam title?

As in Paul Morris who is an ATCC/V8SCS race & round winner?

Yep, no skill in that driver at all
Would common day v8 fans understand realise or understand any of the above?
Old 4 Feb 2013, 06:10 (Ref:3198936)   #21
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerf1champ View Post
I always thought GT drivers had access to some kind of money tree. Despite what he's achieved, Paul Morris is just a fat ****, and a terrible driver, terrible racer.
hahaha! the amount of crashes this guy causes, you'd expect better from someone with such experience. no wonder no teams wants him to drive full time for them.
Old 4 Feb 2013, 09:25 (Ref:3198986)   #22
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
hahaha! the amount of crashes this guy causes, you'd expect better from someone with such experience. no wonder no teams wants him to drive full time for them.
Ye be fair, his name wouldn't have been mentioned 12 years ago. He has deteriorated to a joke since.
Old 4 Feb 2013, 10:24 (Ref:3199002)   #23
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
no wonder no teams wants him to drive full time for them.
Why would he drive for someone else when he already owns a whole setup himself?
Old 4 Feb 2013, 12:06 (Ref:3199026)   #24
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
Quote:
the only thing he needs to setup is a membership renewal for jenny craig.
Old 4 Feb 2013, 12:13 (Ref:3199029)   #25
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
And doing a reasonable job steering a 410 sprintcar, you get fed a wheel pretty quick there if your ego gets in the way :-)