Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 16 Sep 2000, 04:28 (Ref:37470)   #1
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tony Cochrane has announced in this weeks AutoAction that next years calender for The 2001 V8 Supercars is now 1 month away from being announced and he promises "revolutionary" style changes.

What do you guys think this means or better still what changes would you like to see made ?

I was thinking of maybe sticking to the 3 sprint race format where pit facilities aren’t the best like Oran Park and maybe 90 minute Indy Car Style Races for the tracks with pit facilities capable of handling such a race like Eastern Creek.

I’m not so sure about the addition of more street circuits as speak to anyone who went to Canberra for the GMC 400 and they said the spectator facilities just plain sucked and to me the perception I got from watching it on TV was that the whole event just seemed to be geared towards corporate viewing.

Anyway, What do you all think ?
Old 16 Sep 2000, 08:01 (Ref:37477)   #2
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i think that winton i the best round/weekend in victoria and if that aint on the calender then i would not be impressed. canberra gmc is not in the class of the adelaide 500. the sprint rounds could be 2 by 45 min races with pitstops and 2 diff qualifying session. reckon the f1 GP and CART GP support acts should carry points for the championship. 15 or 16 round championship we can accommodate. reverse grids are a good idea. should be plenty of changes in 2001, i'm sure avesco will get in wrong....
Old 16 Sep 2000, 10:48 (Ref:37491)   #3
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Arrggghhhh....i think i have let out all of my anger on this topic at aus.sport.motor.....

If Winton loses their round....well someone aught to be shot. The place has spent millions to bring the place up to AVESCO standards....
Old 16 Sep 2000, 11:06 (Ref:37501)   #4
redback
Racer

redback should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was standing in pit lane at Oran Park as the V8 pit crews were setting up. A guy from one team said to another team that it would be their last time at Oran Park. When questioned why he said that Oran Park was not going to be on the 2001 calender because OP weren't willing to provide the first class pits asked for by all the V8 teams.

It seems that street races are all the rage, probably because Cochrane has full control. I hope OP doesn't lose the round because without the big drawcards our tracks will end up becoming housing estates like Amaroo. OP is a great spectator track too. Street circuits are only good for TV.

It will end up hurting the up and coming drivers too because even now OP and EC are lucky to have one practice day available per month and for the last few months they have chosen the same day. It becomes hard for young guys without big budgets to be able to practice.

As for the V8's. I like gomicks idea on the points for support races. Stops them wheeling out the crappy cars. Do you mean qualifying like Superbikes/Toca you start where you qualified for each sprint? I like it. I don't like the 3 spint races much I prefer 2 races on Sunday and some good supports.
Old 16 Sep 2000, 11:59 (Ref:37505)   #5
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
yep, qualifying for one race and qualifying for another race, just like btcc
Old 16 Sep 2000, 12:07 (Ref:37506)   #6
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
1. 32 cars? **** off!
2. Overseas- NZ, OK, everywhere else....when they go they will fail, and fail badly. DONT GO!
3. Street circuits- not at the expense of permanant tracks. If V8s are so professional and big cash, they can afford to do some extra rounds.
4. Motorsport in Australia is in crisis -apart from V8 Supercar, the only class to truely grow since the inception of AVESCO is GTP...everything else has gone down the tube or stagnated somewhat. Coinicidence?
Old 20 Sep 2000, 21:40 (Ref:38280)   #7
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Danielsun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My shortest post ever!!

NO!!
Old 22 Sep 2000, 11:23 (Ref:38575)   #8
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
32 car grids is a ****ing terrible idea. There are more than 32 good, well driven cars. How **** weak will it look on the tracks where the grid capacity is 40+? 3 sprint races don't hold much appeal. 2 45 minute races could be fun.
I'm very much against street races, they cost a fortune and do nothing at all to help club/state level racing. Every time the shell series goes to a street circuit, a permanent circuit misses out on their annual cash injection, without which the place just isn't viable and very likely to become, housing estate, farmland, golf course, etc.

I struggle to see how Asia, South Africa or the middle East would take to V8 supercar. Two of the greatest factors in the appeal/success of the class is the Holden v Ford thing and all the name drivers. Outside of Aust and NZ, they don't have these factors working for them.