Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 23 Mar 2016, 02:11 (Ref:3626159)   #1
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A Modern WSC Category? (Discussion)

Would a IMSA WSC category type category work today? I mean a prototype category consisting of production engined cars (we obviously know the FIA's opinion on proto-roadsters). What sort of unusual complications could there be?

It, obviously. is autopilot for PR teams in any manufacturer.

[I'll finish on that cautiously optimistic note.]
Old 23 Mar 2016, 02:12 (Ref:3626160)   #2
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
See also DPi thread.
Old 23 Mar 2016, 02:45 (Ref:3626167)   #3
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
See also DPi thread.
I don't believe DPi mandates/will mandate a production powerplant, but valid point.
Old 23 Mar 2016, 02:47 (Ref:3626168)   #4
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Sorry, sleep deprived state; yeah, I'm sure DPi will allow any power plant in, but it seems all the rumoured ones so far are based upon a GT3 engine with the exception of Nissan, which I can't remember the origins of. I assume the potential HPD effort would be based upon the powerplant that will be in tomorrow's NSX GT3 announcement too, but could be wrong on that front.
Old 23 Mar 2016, 07:18 (Ref:3626196)   #5
Giba
Racer

United Kingdom
Leeds
Giba should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doesn't the current P2 regs need the engine to be based on a production power plant?
Old 23 Mar 2016, 11:57 (Ref:3626274)   #6
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giba View Post
Doesn't the current P2 regs need the engine to be based on a production power plant?
I believe so, but the upcoming P2 regulations only need a single engine manufacturer and I believe that it won't be production-based as far as I remember.
Old 23 Mar 2016, 15:33 (Ref:3626351)   #7
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
The Nissan V8 is production derived.
Old 23 Mar 2016, 15:52 (Ref:3626365)   #8
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
ACO spec LMP2s from 2017 on will use a 4.2 liter Gibson/Zytek V8. It's unknown if it will be based on the Nissan stock block V8 or one of the older Zytek F3000 derived engines, or be a totally new design.

http://www.gibsontech.co.uk/gibson-n...ngine-supplier
Old 24 Mar 2016, 01:10 (Ref:3626532)   #9
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
The Nissan V8 is production derived.
In the same way NASCAR engines are "production blocks". The VK45DE is a Nissan production plant, but the racing engine of the same name is flat-plane to the cross-plane design of the production units and has only been used in the Super GT 370Z GT500 and the GT-R that replaced it prior to becoming P2's near spec engine.
Old 25 Mar 2016, 07:52 (Ref:3626983)   #10
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would rather see a new GT1 (P1 GTR, 918 RSR, LaFXXK) than another prototype category. Quite miss the rocket ship GT1s....
Old 25 Mar 2016, 09:30 (Ref:3627008)   #11
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchZ06 View Post
Would rather see a new GT1 (P1 GTR, 918 RSR, LaFXXK) than another prototype category. Quite miss the rocket ship GT1s....
Yeah, I miss that class too. If ACO tweaked GTE, it'll accommodate hypercars although the cost would be pretty high. Also, they couldn't win against prototype cars.

Speaking of prototypes, I wish IMSA would make it right in future seasons like opening up tire manufacturers and chassis constructors.
Old 26 Mar 2016, 05:14 (Ref:3627384)   #12
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
IIRC, one of the Hypercar Big Three (Ferrari, Porsche, McLaren) said their car would NEVER be raced against the others even if such a category existed.
Old 26 Mar 2016, 05:28 (Ref:3627387)   #13
BrentJackson
Racer

Canada
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
BrentJackson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBrentJackson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AoB Special Stage View Post
IIRC, one of the Hypercar Big Three (Ferrari, Porsche, McLaren) said their car would NEVER be raced against the others even if such a category existed.
I haven't heard that, and I think it would be kinda nonsensical if that was indeed the case. There is nothing for any of the makers of those cars to be ashamed of in their creations, they are all great cars, good-looking, superbly-engineered machines that are fast enough to rip a hole through time itself. I'd figure all three would want to race them to show just what they are capable of.
Old 26 Mar 2016, 05:43 (Ref:3627389)   #14
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
To be honest, I think that's the problem. If they raced and one was noticeably lacking in pace, it would kill its incredible mythos.
Old 26 Mar 2016, 05:44 (Ref:3627390)   #15
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentJackson View Post
I haven't heard that, and I think it would be kinda nonsensical if that was indeed the case. There is nothing for any of the makers of those cars to be ashamed of in their creations, they are all great cars, good-looking, superbly-engineered machines that are fast enough to rip a hole through time itself. I'd figure all three would want to race them to show just what they are capable of.
After watching some car reviews on Youtube, I would disagree with this. Ferrari won't even let the La Ferrari to be tested against Porsche & McLaren properly. And McLaren haven't exactly covered themselves with glory either. On the other hand Porsche let you do whatever you want with the car.
Old 26 Mar 2016, 18:56 (Ref:3627611)   #16
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TzeiTzei View Post
After watching some car reviews on Youtube, I would disagree with this. Ferrari won't even let the La Ferrari to be tested against Porsche & McLaren properly. And McLaren haven't exactly covered themselves with glory either. On the other hand Porsche let you do whatever you want with the car.
Ferrari's favourite boy* Chris Harris did it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3YPTkBRaOk

He does they're "factory cars".

* referring to how he exposed Ferrari's cheating in some test, and then got banned for officially testing Ferraris at least for a while

Last edited by deggis; 26 Mar 2016 at 19:01.