Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 16 Aug 2018, 18:55 (Ref:3844077)   #51
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Just hammering it home, Peter?
Got it to a T, John.

PS Apologies Mr Mallett.
Old 17 Aug 2018, 06:34 (Ref:3844154)   #52
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
We watched the Silverstone Classic coverage on ITV4 yesterday and just like the Revival and Garden Party coverage there's less and less motor racing to watch. It's more about "lifestyle" and shi.....er, stuff like that.

For flip's sake, I go racing to watch cars not people. Can we not just have motor sport? It's why I prefer the Classic, I'm sorry the TV is trying to twist it.

"Peace and love" my friends.

Grumpy of Yeovil (for this weekend)

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 17 Aug 2018, 06:46 (Ref:3844156)   #53
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well, it's a symptom of the "professionalisation" of the discipline. Punters now want to see professional drivers racing cars that look old but to go with that they perceive the sport to be a rich person's playground (nothing further from the truth) and thus the tV company's have to push the Brietling/Rolex/Bollinger approach. The promoters love it too.

Whilst we may complain that Spa has loads of GT40s the Spring and Summer Classics and the 6hrs events do cater for the more relaxed and "normal" punters. Classic racing the way it used to be, if you will.

Likewise we should all be supporting the HSCC and CSCC who provide classic and historic racing at many events not just the festivals.
Old 17 Aug 2018, 07:21 (Ref:3844161)   #54
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Whilst we may complain that Spa has loads of GT40s the Spring and Summer Classics and the 6hrs events do cater for the more relaxed and "normal" punters. Classic racing the way it used to be, if you will.

Likewise we should all be supporting the HSCC and CSCC who provide classic and historic racing at many events not just the festivals.
All the above avoid the PR bull! I'd add Le Mans Classic to the list as well, although the event does also get massive spectator numbers. The cars still seem to be the stars…. HSCC, CSCC and Spa races are run for competitors first and foremost, for which we should be thankful.....
Old 17 Aug 2018, 07:24 (Ref:3844163)   #55
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks for the info I wanted - Sears race.

Travelling from NZ and returning with 1,000's of photographs, action and static, track and car park, then who is behind the wheel is totally irrelevant, so whether there are a host of pro or semi pro drivers, does not make a better photograph.

I 'm a car enthusiast first and foremost, and living out here in NZ, there are plenty of great cars and good drivers, but as The SpeCTator knows all too well, even with a meeting of 250+ cars, we'll never see the sort of machinery that appears at Goodwood, certainly not in any great numbers - and particularly since Hampton Downs was sold to someone who is not a Classic/Historic enthusiast.

A trip to Goodwood is an opportunity to see and photograph iconic (and some less than iconic) cars, that we would otherwise never see in action. whether a car is being driven by a maestro at ten tenths or a competent amateur at 8 tenths is neither here nor there, but Austin J40 pedal cars do not need a race circuit and the comment above that it is catering for Hooray Henry's is probably closer to the truth than many realise.

We pay big money to see cars out on track and the fact that tickets for the weekend are sold out months in advance, I'm convinced has nothing whatever to do with BTCC drivers or even Jensen Button.

This is/was a meeting that appeals mainly to those of us who probably never managed to travel to Goodwood and see ERA's, Lister Jaguars, or even 1958 saloons in action at the time, but read about them avidly.

To hear a V16 BRM running, even if at a modest pace, was almost worth an earlier visit alone, but pedal cars? Come on.

This may be my last opportunity for a Revival meeting and yes, I will enjoy it, but when regulars say it is no longer worth it, that saddens me.
Old 17 Aug 2018, 07:50 (Ref:3844174)   #56
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post
....To hear a V16 BRM running, even if at a modest pace, was almost worth an earlier visit alone, but pedal cars? Come on.
Re the pedal cars - just think yourself lucky you never had to 'time' them. The one time I did time-keeping at the Revival I thought my colleagues were kidding me when they said get ready for the next race. I naively presumed we would just check the first three across the line - but no it was all of them - all manually (no transponders)! Great fun, not.
Old 17 Aug 2018, 07:53 (Ref:3844175)   #57
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You should enjoy it, why not? Those of us who get the opportunity to go regularly, whether we actually do or not, have a different view of it. We also have the Members' Meeting now which is a much friendlier place. That said it is fast catching up to the Revival but there are still a lot less "lifestyle" things around. Hopefully next year the MM will be a touch warmer.
Old 17 Aug 2018, 08:04 (Ref:3844182)   #58
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
The pedal car race is very exciting, if your kids are doing it. It's a lot less predictable than a lot of the big boys races as well.
Old 17 Aug 2018, 10:20 (Ref:3844205)   #59
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
The pedal car race is very exciting, if your kids are doing it. It's a lot less predictable than a lot of the big boys races as well.
And the cars tend to be more original!
Old 17 Aug 2018, 11:38 (Ref:3844224)   #60
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
What are you suggesting

They did get scrutineered, and chassis numbers were logged pre entry. although Arthur retired his 5 years ago . . . there are probably some Inconel continuation shells out there now with 'optimised' running gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMorley View Post
And the cars tend to be more original!
Old 17 Aug 2018, 13:31 (Ref:3844241)   #61
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
What are you suggesting

They did get scrutineered, and chassis numbers were logged pre entry. although Arthur retired his 5 years ago . . . there are probably some Inconel continuation shells out there now with 'optimised' running gear.
Was Arthur billed a 'Star Driver', Zef?
Old 17 Aug 2018, 15:54 (Ref:3844267)   #62
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
He didn't qualify as a star, no crash/cheating history, and he beat Lord Snot jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Was Arthur billed a 'Star Driver', Zef?
Old 17 Aug 2018, 16:08 (Ref:3844274)   #63
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
He didn't qualify as a star, no crash/cheating history, and he beat Lord Snot jr.
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 18 Aug 2018, 15:22 (Ref:3844471)   #64
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Crow View Post
All the negatives about the Revival are valid, and I doubt I will go again, but that apart there is no finer place to be than at the exit of Madgwick watching a top driver skitter a historic car through on the edge and then howl past just feet away over the fence. That I do miss.
Only on place better and that's where I'll be as usual at No Name just before St Mary's and no crowd or silly costumes!
Old 18 Aug 2018, 17:56 (Ref:3844508)   #65
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
Only on place better and that's where I'll be as usual at No Name just before St Mary's and no crowd or silly costumes!
I concur, I still don't know hoe to drive it.
Old 19 Aug 2018, 11:32 (Ref:3844609)   #66
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I think there are 3 stages . . . safely, bravely, and stupidly. I've yet to run out of road, sh*t myself or crash so must still be in the the safely sector. Which probably explains why I've never been higher than 7th place in any race there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I concur, I still don't know hoe to drive it.
Old 28 Aug 2018, 07:13 (Ref:3846674)   #67
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
7th or 17th, who cares? I look at my photographs after the event and a car with 'attitude', drifting is what makes it all worthwhile and the more the merrier. If F1 and modern day racing cars had 'attitude', it would be far more enjoyable to watch.

I remember my first visit to Western Springs Speedway in Auckland, when I first arrived way back in 1983 and being amazed at the angles those midgets and sprint cars achieved - yet races would be all over in a matter of a few minutes, but the next grid was soon out there. A fantastic evening's non-stop entertainment.

But original J40's or fibreglass replicas, at Goodwood, for what, 100 yards, drivers doped up on Lucozade or Red Bull, just doesn't cut it. They do not need to waste valuable track time.

With only two Goodwood events a year, attracting huge crowds, surely making best possible use of that limited track time should be a very high priority? Or is it the usual case these days, that the paying spectators are the last to be considered?

At long last, just a couple of weeks before the event, the Sears trophy gets added to the programme on the website, but still awaiting a programme schedule to plan the weekend - and an entry list.

As regards live streamed coverage, once again, too much emphasis on the front two or three cars, when there are fascinating cars further down the grid that we never see and never get a mention - a major reason why non-enthusiasts who have never been to a meeting, claim that all motor racing is boring... The way it is televised, sorry, but it often is boring.
Old 28 Aug 2018, 13:44 (Ref:3846721)   #68
NBR
Rookie

NBR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dear all,

Is someone has the entry list?

Thanks,
Old 29 Aug 2018, 12:22 (Ref:3846873)   #69
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Hopefully the weather will be kind like it was at the 2015 members meeting, I strung this video together back then as I can't go anywhere without taking my video gear.
I normally go to the Revival but I shall be in France and Spain unfortunately having an awful time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o23Kp2WOb_A&t=32s
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 29 Aug 2018, 12:29 (Ref:3846875)   #70
rwstokes
Rookie

rwstokes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Full entry list is now out:

https://www.goodwood.com/globalasset...ry-list-v1.pdf
Old 29 Aug 2018, 18:36 (Ref:3846942)   #71
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Say what you like about the event, that is a pretty impressive entry list.
Old 29 Aug 2018, 20:07 (Ref:3846956)   #72
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwstokes View Post
Thank you
Old 29 Aug 2018, 20:16 (Ref:3846958)   #73
NBR
Rookie

NBR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the list
Old 30 Aug 2018, 09:15 (Ref:3847033)   #74
hanuman
Rookie

hanuman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Crow View Post
Say what you like about the event, that is a pretty impressive entry list.
It's a shame the TT Celebration has become so much of a Jag/Cobra benefit. All the Ferrari's are in the Kinrara Trophy now which has slightly devalued the TT grid in my view.

Other than that, pretty impressive as you say.
Old 30 Aug 2018, 09:36 (Ref:3847036)   #75
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting to see half a dozen one litre Formula Two cars entered in the Glover Trophy . Given a reliable run it will also be interesting to see how far up the field Historic Formula Ford front runners Ben Mitchell and Michael O'Brien can persuade their Lola T60s to go .