Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Nov 2021, 12:49 (Ref:4084352)   #1
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Qatar Grand Prix 2021: Grand Prix Weekend Thread - Round 20 of 22

From watching the cars out on track, the first half of the lap is fairly conventional, but from the kink at Turn 9 and quickly shifting the line and braking, the lap picks up - the last sector looks more challenging with the faster cars.

There will, of course, be a lot of interest this weekend in the Mercedes protest and aftermath.

Circuit length: 5.38km
Number of laps: 57
Race distance: 306.66km
Dry weather tyre compounds: C1, C2 & C3
Race lap record: n/a

First Grand Prix at this circuit: 2021
First Qatar Grand Prix: 2021

Join the fun in the Predictions Contest and Fantasy F1:

https://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156682

https://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156053
Old 19 Nov 2021, 12:50 (Ref:4084353)   #2
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No GP History?
Old 19 Nov 2021, 12:58 (Ref:4084356)   #3
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Statement helmet
Old 19 Nov 2021, 13:07 (Ref:4084359)   #4
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Love the new Helmet from Lewis. Lots of people said he wouldn’t have the balls to take a stand in the Middle East….and here we are.
Old 19 Nov 2021, 13:57 (Ref:4084367)   #5
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Is overtaking going to be easy / possible at this track? I am asking as someone who has not yet watched any practice footage, and although I have seen MotoGP around here, cant for the life of me remember anything about it.
Old 19 Nov 2021, 14:29 (Ref:4084373)   #6
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
We’ve seen a lot of slipstreaming on the straight in MotoGP. We’ll see if F1 can do the same

Have to say that running races at night here doesn’t look great. It works fine if you have a nice backdrop like Singapore, but here it just looks so dull at night. You see nothing other than the track, like it’s in the middle of nowhere
Old 19 Nov 2021, 14:34 (Ref:4084376)   #7
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
You see nothing other than the track, like it’s in the middle of nowhere
I think that's because it is in the middle of nowhere...

There's nothing much else to see in daylight:
Old 19 Nov 2021, 14:39 (Ref:4084379)   #8
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Is overtaking going to be easy / possible at this track? I am asking as someone who has not yet watched any practice footage, and although I have seen MotoGP around here, cant for the life of me remember anything about it.
The consensus seems to be that overtakes will be minimal:

Pérez - 'It looks fun. I think it’s going to be not much overtaking, so qualifying I think will be very important.'
Williams’ head of vehicle performance, Dave Robson - '[passing] could be tough [but] on their own the drivers will love it.'

And I think off-line, sand will be a bigger problem than marbles.
Old 19 Nov 2021, 14:46 (Ref:4084386)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
[/I]
And I think off-line, sand will be a bigger problem than marbles.
Put it in bags. Someone will find a use for it.
Old 19 Nov 2021, 15:24 (Ref:4084390)   #10
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Statement helmet
I am not a fan, but for this he gets my respect.

I really like the design of this helmet. IMO the colors stand out much better on a dark background than on a white one (see Vettel's t-shirt)
Old 19 Nov 2021, 15:25 (Ref:4084391)   #11
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Put it in bags. Someone will find a use for it.
Ship it to Le Mans or a WEC race that prepares for Le Mans.
Or to any team that wants a re-adjustment of their BoP
Old 19 Nov 2021, 15:57 (Ref:4084396)   #12
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The onboards look like theyve been sped up. Track is really fast, not hopeful of anything happening on Sunday though.
Old 19 Nov 2021, 16:46 (Ref:4084400)   #13
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I think that's because it is in the middle of nowhere...

There's nothing much else to see in daylight:

Yes, but the track looks more ‘alive’ in the daytime. A floodlight circuit in the middle of a nowhere does not
Old 19 Nov 2021, 17:26 (Ref:4084406)   #14
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So the F1 circus rolls on into the featureless Qatari desert and what looks like a Tilkedrome, as the fallout from the Hamilton/Verstappen debacle continues to settle.
Old 19 Nov 2021, 18:02 (Ref:4084414)   #15
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
So the F1 circus rolls on into the featureless Qatari desert and what looks like a Tilkedrome, as the fallout from the Hamilton/Verstappen debacle continues to settle.
Great intro!
Old 20 Nov 2021, 06:21 (Ref:4084480)   #16
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Lots of pundits coming up with how the track comparisons to other circuits.

I think it's a bit of a mash up between Jerez, Sepang and Assen!

It's a decent layout but I suspect there will be a bit of modification in the not too distant future to open up at least one more overtaking opportunity.

The best bit about yesterdays sky tv coverage was them having to dig out an in car lap by Kamui Kobayashi from GP2 Asia 12 years ago! Proper anorak stuff ha ha.
Old 20 Nov 2021, 07:17 (Ref:4084484)   #17
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
I fear this is going to be a weekend of protest and counter protest.

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 20 Nov 2021, 07:32 (Ref:4084486)   #18
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
It's a decent layout but I suspect there will be a bit of modification in the not too distant future to open up at least one more overtaking opportunity.
Do you mean modifications during the weekend?

It's a one-off venue, then from 2023 the race will be at a different circuit.
Old 20 Nov 2021, 09:10 (Ref:4084493)   #19
S griffin
Veteran

Interesting fact. Checo is the only one of the current grid who ha# raced here. That was back in 2009 in GP2 Asia
Old 20 Nov 2021, 10:06 (Ref:4084495)   #20
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Interesting fact. Checo is the only one of the current grid who ha# raced here. That was back in 2009 in GP2 Asia
Mazepin contested his first ever MRF Challenge round at the track in 2014, finishing P2 in the second race
Old 20 Nov 2021, 11:49 (Ref:4084497)   #21
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Mazepin contested his first ever MRF Challenge round at the track in 2014, finishing P2 in the second race

Dammit, we’ve been lied to! Or maybe some prefer to forget Nikita
Old 20 Nov 2021, 11:54 (Ref:4084499)   #22
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Only 2 entrants?
Old 20 Nov 2021, 14:12 (Ref:4084510)   #23
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Reminds me of a rural venue, somethig built in an empty farmers field, lights of the city way off in the distance. I like it and the drivers look to be on it the whole lap.

Plus sparks.

If you build it they will come!
Old 20 Nov 2021, 14:39 (Ref:4084511)   #24
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Only 2 entrants?
Believe it or not, 14 drivers competed, including Mathias Lauda.
Old 20 Nov 2021, 14:42 (Ref:4084512)   #25
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Perez fails to get into Q3.