Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 29 Aug 2016, 21:48 (Ref:3668498)   #1501
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith has a real shot at the podium!carbsmith has a real shot at the podium!carbsmith has a real shot at the podium!carbsmith has a real shot at the podium!carbsmith has a real shot at the podium!
That's pretty iffy too. Assuming it does really turn out front engined, it's a really small car for GT racing. The 86MC has the same wheelbase as the GT500 cars and is stretched to absurdity, and the old S2000 and current MX-5 are considerably shorter than the 86.

Even assuming more technical freedom, shortening the car would be a huge aerodynamic disadvantage and would cause tire compatibility problems again anyways, so the only thing that would save them would be allowing huge fundamental body shape changes.
Old 29 Aug 2016, 23:06 (Ref:3668509)   #1502
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!
What's with the weird "vanes" in the exhaust exits of most of the cars? They've been there for several years though.
Old 29 Aug 2016, 23:21 (Ref:3668512)   #1503
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the podium!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the podium!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the podium!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the podium!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the podium!
That's a catalytic unit. Required by the regulations 5.5)1).
http://www.jaf.or.jp/msports/rules/i...F-GT500_en.pdf
http://www.jaf.or.jp/msports/rules/i...F-GT300_en.pdf
Old 30 Aug 2016, 00:02 (Ref:3668522)   #1504
BBSB
Racer

Spain
BBSB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins View Post
Matsumoto addressed the shortcomings of the NSX GT500 in RCE earlier in the year. Also Honda has a new engine coming next year (not evolution - new).
Thanks. A completely new engine next year is welcome news. What is RCE?

Quote:
Matsumoto wants a FR layout car and more technical freedom in the regulations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
Kind of difficult when Honda doesn't sell a single front engine two door car in Japan, isn't it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagVanisher View Post
I think the problem lies with the DTM-based chassis tub. Remember, it was originally designed only for front-engined cars.

I would understand Matsumoto's frustration about the NSX GT500 program that he wants to put the engine at front (aka the NSX FR that wasn't raced in 2010) and/or more technical freedom that'll mitigate the chassis's limitations.
Poor excuses. He alrealy had a FR car called HSV-010 GT so why change to MR precisely when the regs make it impossible to be competitive other than a FR car?

But even before that, he made a mess of the HSV GT project which was originaly developed under the previous project leader (I forgot his name) who retired in 2010. Honda won the series that season with that car, then Matsumoto replaced him as GT project leader and the HSV struggled ever since except for 2013 - the only season it was competitive with GTR and SC430/RC F under his watch. There were a couple of seasons in particular where the pace was shockingly bad, 2014/2012.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaze View Post
It was more than stupid to turn the FR DTM Chassis into a MR NSX.
(Marketing Team's brilliant idea and Engineering Team being yes men)

So first it was going to be a compromised design then it was handicapped by series for being MR and Hybrid.(that was like helping putting the boxer in the ground after you killed him in the ring).
Exactly. When I first read that Honda was going to race the MR NSX in SGT - after we already knew the DTM-style crap regs and all the restrictions, I had a very bad feeling that Honda will suffer/struggle. It was just a terrible idea to enter an MR car in such circumstances. They should've continued racing the HSV until a new production FR sportscar arrived. It was a no brainer.

I blame Matsumoto because he, as the Honda GT program chief should know better and say to the marketing team: "NO, NO, NO. Here's why..". There should't even be a debate. There was only one logical decision and I don't understand why they still keep him in that position. It's clear he has no leadership.

Sam, he wants more technical freedom in the regulations? Well, why did he accept this regulations in the first place? I have to say that I was surprised I didn't hear any resistance from Honda of all companies toards what I thought was a laugable set of regulations and I admit I thought Honda would never accept such joke. They always hated restrictions and spec racing. Now Matsumoto is speaking after the damage is done?
Old 30 Aug 2016, 00:39 (Ref:3668526)   #1505
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
The HSV-010 wasn't allowed to be raced any more because it didn't have a street car equivalent.

RCE is RaceCar Engineering, Sam's publication.
Old 30 Aug 2016, 02:14 (Ref:3668543)   #1506
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
The HSV-010 wasn't allowed to be raced any more because it didn't have a street car equivalent.
Same as the Front-engined NSX which it was shelved in favor of the HSV-010.

Still, I think Honda should do something with their GT500 program!
Old 30 Aug 2016, 04:26 (Ref:3668557)   #1507
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith has a real shot at the podium!carbsmith has a real shot at the podium!carbsmith has a real shot at the podium!carbsmith has a real shot at the podium!carbsmith has a real shot at the podium!
The homologation requirements still seem to be vague enough for something like the HSV-010 actually.

Quote:
1.2) Eligibility as an original vehicle
Cars produced by an automobile manufacturer, comply with legal requirements for road use and
satisfy either of the following conditions:
(1) homologated in FIA Group N/A/GT2/GT1, JAF Production Touring Cars or Special Touring Cars.
(2) registered with JAF as registered vehicles.
(3) vehicles admitted by JAF.
(4) vehicles admitted by DMSB as DTM original vehicle.
The HSV-010 was 1) produced by an automobile manufacturer, 2) ostensibly road legal, and 3) admitted by the JAF, I'd say.
Old 30 Aug 2016, 06:37 (Ref:3668574)   #1508
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new lap record!TF110 is going for a new lap record!TF110 is going for a new lap record!TF110 is going for a new lap record!TF110 is going for a new lap record!TF110 is going for a new lap record!
I hope gt500 goes back to their own way unless class 1 takes off. But with the dtm guys being the way they are, it looks unlikely. I had high hopes for it. We'll see.
Old 30 Aug 2016, 07:11 (Ref:3668580)   #1509
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed, and the only way for Class 1 to move forward is to fix the chassis tub first.

The DTM-based tubs have some flaws, and Japan should fix those issues like accommodating both left and right-hand steering as well as FR and MR layouts, all while lowering costs by making it tougher.
Old 30 Aug 2016, 07:43 (Ref:3668584)   #1510
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the podium!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the podium!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the podium!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the podium!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the podium!
Shinnosuke Yamada (#18) will participate in the Thailand race from Toyota Team Thailand at Buriram this weekend. What race?
https://twitter.com/MasatakaBandoh/s...76109678911488
Old 30 Aug 2016, 08:46 (Ref:3668590)   #1511
puka56k
Rookie

puka56k should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this event "RAAT Thailand Endurance Championship"
https://www.facebook.com/BuriramUnit...57510324351215
Old 30 Aug 2016, 11:39 (Ref:3668602)   #1512
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
If there is no season entry beyond 48, pre-qualifying session wouldn't be introduced in 2017.
Instead, DNQ will be introduced in Saturday qualifying session.
http://response.jp/article/2016/08/30/280906.html
Old 30 Aug 2016, 13:56 (Ref:3668617)   #1513
BBSB
Racer

Spain
BBSB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Who said that it was not allowed to be raced anymore because it didn't have a street car equivalent?
If that was the case then that car would never have raced in SGT because the rules before and after 2010 also said you can't enter a car that is/was not in production for the road, but Matsumoto's predecessor (again I forgot his name) said to GTA/JAF, you either allow us to race the HSV in GT500 or Honda will pull out.

They had to allow the HSV even against the rules because they couldn't afford to lose Honda and be left with only Lexus and Nissan. Obviously, Honda was allowed to continue with the HSV if they wanted for the same reasons but Matsumoto f***d up.

Quote:
RCE is RaceCar Engineering, Sam's publication.
Oh, RaceCar Engineering! Thanks.
Old 30 Aug 2016, 14:02 (Ref:3668619)   #1514
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
The HSV was originally going to be the NSX successor, and had street car versions of it built and testing before the plug was pulled. When it was pulled they were allowed to run the car for a few more years then they weren't because it didn't exist anymore. Kinda like how Lexus ran the SC430 for a few years after it went out of production.

Old 30 Aug 2016, 14:39 (Ref:3668627)   #1515
The IC
Racer

Australia
The IC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also the Supra ran 3 years after production finished (or 4 if you count the crossover year when SARD and Team Tsuchiya were still running Supras while the other Toyota teams were running the SC), and the first NSX ran for 4 years after production finished too...i guess its a bit different because the HSV never made it to showrooms, but i thought the decision for the GTA at the time basically came down to "let Honda run the HSV, or they pull out and we only have two manufacturers and lose a third of the GT500 field"

Nissan has managed to keep up to date the whole time though...