Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 13 Aug 2018, 11:44 (Ref:3843343)   #26
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
The 500s and their drivers (riders?) sure make good subjects for photography!

Gary, thank you for all the wonderful pics you have provided tenths over the years. Along with those from other contributors, they’ve made so many threads come alive.
Old 13 Aug 2018, 12:59 (Ref:3843365)   #27
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
The 500s and their drivers (riders?) sure make good subjects for photography!

Gary, thank you for all the wonderful pics you have provided tenths over the years. Along with those from other contributors, they’ve made so many threads come alive.
You are probably too young to remember them in their heyday Mike, but they provided some of the best racing around in the 1950's. Close, wheel-to=wheel racing, lots of overtaking and a really raucous engine noise, and the scent of Castrol 'R'.

Heaven must have daily 500cc races. Jim Russell, Ivor Bueb, Les Leston, Don Parker, Moss, Collins, Lewis-Evans, Ecclestone ……….Ah!
Old 13 Aug 2018, 13:05 (Ref:3843368)   #28
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
You are probably too young to remember them in their heyday Mike, but they provided some of the best racing around in the 1950's. Close, wheel-to=wheel racing, lots of overtaking and a really raucous engine noise, and the scent of Castrol 'R'.

Heaven must have daily 500cc races. Jim Russell, Ivor Bueb, Les Leston, Don Parker, Moss, Collins, Lewis-Evans, Ecclestone ……….Ah!
Mmm, not quite too young! I have vague memories of Dad taking me to Snetterton and watching 500s in the mid 50s. And the smell of Castrol R will never be forgotten....
Old 13 Aug 2018, 13:07 (Ref:3843372)   #29
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
quite possibly the last race meeting that I'll cover media-wise!
Old age, lack of opportunity, general lassitude with bureaucracy, or ?

Do tell I'm 81 and still battling on.

Bob
Old 13 Aug 2018, 14:19 (Ref:3843387)   #30
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Many thanks for the kind remarks Mike. Will still post the odd one or two but not to the extent that I have in the past - certainly as regards races.
Old 13 Aug 2018, 14:33 (Ref:3843391)   #31
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Old age, lack of opportunity, general lassitude with bureaucracy, or ?

Do tell I'm 81 and still battling on.

Bob
Hopefully not age related Bob - only just turned 60 a few weeks ago - yes, honestly! A combination of factors really with circuit bureaucracy to the fore. That's especially the case with MSV and the hurdles you have to jump over these days, not helped by only getting accreditation confirmation 4-days before events by which time low cost accommodation has largely gone (for those events where an overnight stay is preferable). Too many drivers wanting freebies - not on this forum I hasten to add and I'm always willing to help out clubs etc. Copyright infringements via social media. Just not worth the hassle these days - I don't think I'm alone in that regard.

That's the main issue for me plus finding I'd rather be watching these days as opposed to taking hundreds (thousands) of photographs for minimal benefit. I don't need the income and I'm now involved with our regional mountain rescue team which is taking up a fair bit of my time (and is very rewarding).

Will concentrate on VSCC Trials from now on but may make the odd 'guest appearance' at races, certainly as a spectator.
Old 13 Aug 2018, 17:00 (Ref:3843414)   #32
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lovely photos Gary, the VSCC and 500cc are so photogenic.

I'm spending more time watching and less snapping nowadays.
Old 13 Aug 2018, 18:45 (Ref:3843442)   #33
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands View Post
Lovely photos Gary, the VSCC and 500cc are so photogenic.

I'm spending more time watching and less snapping nowadays.
Many thanks John - they're a gem to photograph.
Old 13 Aug 2018, 18:47 (Ref:3843446)   #34
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Many thanks John - they're a gem to photograph.

So true.
Old 13 Aug 2018, 21:46 (Ref:3843482)   #35
Malcolm Smith
Veteran

Malcolm Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great photos Gary, a pleasure to see so many fabulous cars.