Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 27 Apr 2007, 07:42 (Ref:1901471)   #1
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Gerben24 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Checa to enter Suzuka 8 hours

Rumours in the Dutch media today mention that Checa is about to enter the Suzuka 8 hours (with Honda offcourse). There's no mention about who his teammate will be, but it'll probably be some Japanese samurai.

Question to Carlos and Lucio (Cecchinello):
Have you not read Rossi's book?? The Suzuka 8 hours is meant to be really dangerous. Only lunatics compete in that race (and Edwards, but I suppose that is part of his Motogp contract).

Ofcourse, it's not that bad, but I'm always surprised when Motogp riders (and to some etend wsbk riders) go racing at this event.
Old 27 Apr 2007, 08:05 (Ref:1901478)   #2
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The track is incredibly dangerous.

But Edwards is a 99% rider. He hasn't fallen off in his dry in his entire MotoGP career, that's probably why he took the risk.

But it's a fun race. And hopefully two time winner Edwards will be back. (Remember, didn't he win it with this Honda upstart named Valentino?)
Old 27 Apr 2007, 09:06 (Ref:1901517)   #3
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazza
But Edwards is a 99% rider. He hasn't fallen off in his dry in his entire MotoGP career, that's probably why he took the risk.
Unless he can get a win (remember Assen last year?).
Old 27 Apr 2007, 10:06 (Ref:1901553)   #4
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Riders also get paid rather well for riding in the 8 hour race!

Plus it might have been part of Checa's deal to get works Hondas.

Remember up until very recently the likes of Rossi even HAD to ride in the 8h race otehrwise they wouldnt be riding for the factory team, its was only after they had proven themselves and could manipulate their way out of the race during contract talks that meant they missed it.
There were a few like Gardner who loved racing in the 8h, but most hated it, too hot, too intense and far too dangerous!

Remember Hayden crashing a few years back on the first lap!!
Old 27 Apr 2007, 10:09 (Ref:1901558)   #5
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
I was under the impression it was put in Rossi's contract by his own request???
Old 27 Apr 2007, 11:12 (Ref:1901580)   #6
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Cool, always nice with GP riders doing a little bit of crossover work during season.
Old 27 Apr 2007, 22:30 (Ref:1901935)   #7
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
AM not sure Valentino would have agreed to two years, he wanted to do it when he was riding for Aprilia in 250 but they didnt have a bike.
When he signed for Honda he agreed to 2 years and then couldnt get out of the second year, so yes i suppose he did agree but he didn want to do the second year at all!!
Think it was often the case in signing for Honda back in the day!
Old 28 Apr 2007, 03:50 (Ref:1902021)   #8
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerben24
Unless he can get a win (remember Assen last year?).
I'm a Edwards fan. It's been dropped from my memory.
Old 28 Apr 2007, 07:08 (Ref:1902058)   #9
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some of you are seeming abit overly harsh on the race and the track.....

Time was when alot of the factory 500 riders would have the 8 Hour on their schedule...
Old 28 Apr 2007, 10:26 (Ref:1902126)   #10
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
But I think most of them eitehr had to have it in their contract or maybe thought it was a good idea initially before actually doing the event. both Doohan and Rossi in their bikes say its the hardest event they ever did and when you consider the Japanese factories stopped riders from doing things like the Race of teh Year and the Transatlantic races because they got riders injured, having a massive event in the middle fo the year that exposes your rider to massive potential injury is typical Japanese logic!
I love the event, but I just think the Japanese put far too much emphasis on it, when the rest of the world doesnt care!
I eman a few years back Honda basically put theire whole WSB season on hold til the 8 hour, Edwards was lucky enough to still be in touch, got the parts from the 8H bike and managed to overcome Bayliss in the series to win it for honda, why not develop the bike over the year, because to Honda 8h is more important than WSBK championship!!
Old 1 May 2007, 16:44 (Ref:1904365)   #11
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
Of course Japan own internal market is very big, so it makes sense for them to care about this big race. It's perhaps the most important single race in the world, for them.

Suzuka, dangerous or not, is one of the finest tracks in the world. It's a pity it is being substituted by that slot car circuit for F1 (Fuji). Apparently many riders and drivers (even some big names in their twilight years) are happy to enter Rally Dakar, statistically more dangerous than Suzy (about 2 deaths/year or so).

Maybe Dorna&Bernie, as Vito Corleone, don't like blood

In other order of things, I fail to imagine Checa going on for some hours without crashing somewhere The man is brave, he has had some heavy crashes, some of them very serious (Donington), so I value his effort, but I wonder if, for once, his japanese colleagues will be a bit nervous
Old 1 May 2007, 18:32 (Ref:1904425)   #12
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I forgot about this quote from Checa:

"I like the challenge of the 8 hours very much, and I am seriously considering an offer from Honda to compete in this year's race."

Taken from: http://www.motogp.com/en/motogp/moto...id=3&section=1

I wonder if it is a heavily weighted offer from Honda?
Old 1 May 2007, 19:53 (Ref:1904480)   #13
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
They have done him an offer he cannot refuse
Old 2 May 2007, 09:19 (Ref:1904835)   #14
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Can Carlos even stay on a bike for that long ??
Old 2 May 2007, 09:54 (Ref:1904865)   #15
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
but still .. why Carlos ??

Ciao Marco
Old 2 May 2007, 10:57 (Ref:1904891)   #16
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Carlos crashing talent is very entertaining in TV resumes. Maybe Japanese TV asked for him.
Old 1 Jun 2007, 22:21 (Ref:1926580)   #17
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I just spotted something interesting on motogp.com. There is a link to a video interview with Nicky Hayden on the main page. The tag line says "Hayden praises Ducati and confirms 8 hours test appearance." You have to be a member in order to view the video. Anyone here a member?

Maybe HRC figure Nicky needs to win something, so why not enter him in the 8 Hours?

It would be interesting to see how he goes on a superbike again.
Old 2 Jun 2007, 00:02 (Ref:1926620)   #18
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen
Anyone here a member?
Interest in bike racing here is limited to free things, ask in another forum
Old 2 Jun 2007, 00:05 (Ref:1926622)   #19
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Ok, ok, here is the interesting interview of Hayden by a Michelin member.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FlC4-kRSD0
Old 6 Jun 2007, 06:43 (Ref:1929936)   #20
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
James Toseland keeps surprising me. First of all, I didn't know he was going to compete in the 8 hours and second of all he was quickest during the test.

http://www.superbike.it/details.php?...=1766&lang=eng