Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 14 Apr 2017, 20:26 (Ref:3726442)   #91
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
How realistic is the simulator? Does it simulate engine failures? Then you have to walk back to the simulated garage.
Old 14 Apr 2017, 20:28 (Ref:3726444)   #92
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer has a real shot at the championship!chunterer has a real shot at the championship!chunterer has a real shot at the championship!chunterer has a real shot at the championship!chunterer has a real shot at the championship!
"Monaco baby yeah"

Groan....
Old 14 Apr 2017, 20:30 (Ref:3726447)   #93
sparkione
Racer

England
Oxfordshire
sparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
It was always going to be JB. He's McLaren's third/reserve driver. World champion and Monaco winner. No brained. The only surprise is that he's not going to get any running in FP before Monaco.
Or any running at all in a current-spec car – or have I missed something? Quite a challenge, and around Monaco of all circuits. But he has nothing to lose, and like the man said, he doesn't have far to commute – there or back. Bon chance, JB! As for Ferdie, he clearly has his eyes set on matching Graham's triple crown, and you wouldn't want to bet against it. And it'll be a welcome change from the monstrous MCL32...

Last edited by sparkione; 14 Apr 2017 at 20:37.
Old 17 Apr 2017, 02:49 (Ref:3727235)   #94
thetool
Veteran

thetool has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
At this point I'm wondering whether Alonso will be back after Monaco. His post-race comments today are rather unflattering, even by his usual standards with McLaren.
Old 18 Apr 2017, 14:49 (Ref:3727562)   #95
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!
Just as I suspected, the fact that Bernie is no longer there makes it possible, as Bernie said in his C4 interview, he wouldn't have allowed it if he was still in charge
Old 18 Apr 2017, 15:10 (Ref:3727565)   #96
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new lap record!Paradise City is going for a new lap record!Paradise City is going for a new lap record!Paradise City is going for a new lap record!Paradise City is going for a new lap record!Paradise City is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Just as I suspected, the fact that Bernie is no longer there makes it possible, as Bernie said in his C4 interview, he wouldn't have allowed it if he was still in charge
He had no formal power to stop this even if he was still running things. Maybe he was talking about when he was running his own team..
Old 18 Apr 2017, 15:13 (Ref:3727567)   #97
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
He had no formal power to stop this even if he was still running things. Maybe he was talking about when he was running his own team..

Nope, he said he would have a quiet chinwag with the McLaren and persuade them not to let him go, as he only sees F1
Old 18 Apr 2017, 16:35 (Ref:3727584)   #98
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new lap record!Paradise City is going for a new lap record!Paradise City is going for a new lap record!Paradise City is going for a new lap record!Paradise City is going for a new lap record!Paradise City is going for a new lap record!
I think the big peril here is that he gets injured and that's why my heart loves this but my head tells me this is very unwise. It's quite a bigger risk than in F1, some quite experienced Indy peddlers have been caught out in recent years and have had to have been benched for some substantial periods with more than minor injuries. So Alonso entering that kind of fray for the first time is a bit hair raising from a safety POV.

Which is why I don't think there'll be copy cat acts. We *may* see sometop F1 driver do NASCAR's Watkins Glen or something like that. I'd be looking in that direction for US "cross overs" if any. Maybe some well-to-do wealthy backmarker driver might do both Indy and Monte. That could happen. But the "prize" F1 drivers won't be permitted. They're barely permitted on scramblers as it is!

Insofar as his competitiveness is concerned, I think he'll be there or there abouts. He's broadly familiar with the dimensions of the track having raced the half-oval before in F1. But of course, it remains to be seen whether he exactly takes to racing with others the way the Indycars drivers do. The DRS slip streamin' stuff may help him a little. I do think he's a more agile and dynamic figure than Piquet for example so I think he'll be well poised to feature in the first third of the pack before he spins off.
Old 19 Apr 2017, 01:46 (Ref:3727670)   #99
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
I think the big peril here is that he gets injured and that's why my heart loves this but my head tells me this is very unwise. It's quite a bigger risk than in F1, some quite experienced Indy peddlers have been caught out in recent years and have had to have been benched for some substantial periods with more than minor injuries. So Alonso entering that kind of fray for the first time is a bit hair raising from a safety POV.
Ditto this!

Really like the idea, but I think the risk is huge!
Old 19 Apr 2017, 03:34 (Ref:3727676)   #100
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Ditto this!

It is enormous.. but as a racer, you can understand why Mr Alonso is aligned.. why be uncompetitive every weekend when there is something new to try...
“Control is an illusion, you infantile egomaniac. Nobody knows what’s gonna happen next: not on a freeway, not in an airplane, not inside our own bodies and certainly not on a racetrack with 40 other infantile egomaniacs” - Dr Claire Lewicki, Days of Thunder
Old 19 Apr 2017, 10:21 (Ref:3727707)   #101
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Ditto this!

Considering the nature of the 500, it's always going to be risky. However, it's worth bearing in mind that the last couple of times a driver got seriously injured was in 2010, when Mike Conway went into the catch fencing and then in 2015, when James Hinchcliffe was impaled by a suspension part going into the cockpit, during practice. Hinchcliffe's was a freak accident.

Safety has come along way in IndyCar, what with SAFER Barrier installed at ovals plus the tub of the DW-12 is immensely strong. You just have to look at Dario Franchitti's crash at Houston in 2013 and wonder why he wasn't killed.
Old 19 Apr 2017, 11:00 (Ref:3727717)   #102
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
How realistic is the simulator? Does it simulate engine failures? Then you have to walk back to the simulated garage.

Maybe they have a sim where the driver unhooks the helmet surround padding, takes the steering wheel off, resists the temptation to fling it to the moon, undo belts, get out, put the wheel back, wave at the crowd like nothing is wrong..
“Control is an illusion, you infantile egomaniac. Nobody knows what’s gonna happen next: not on a freeway, not in an airplane, not inside our own bodies and certainly not on a racetrack with 40 other infantile egomaniacs” - Dr Claire Lewicki, Days of Thunder
Old 19 Apr 2017, 19:19 (Ref:3727813)   #103
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Lets be honest, any simulator that doesn't simulate camping chairs isn't worth using in modern F1.

How about Alonso decides he's had enough of Honda and McLaren, but he's good mates with Zak Brown, so goes and drives for United Autosport at Le Mans.
Old 19 Apr 2017, 19:26 (Ref:3727817)   #104
Aysedasi
Ten-Tenths Foul in Game
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

How about Alonso decides he's had enough of Honda and McLaren, but he's good mates with Zak Brown, so goes and drives for United Autosport at Le Mans.
Works for me.
Old 19 Apr 2017, 23:45 (Ref:3727881)   #105
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Lets be honest, any simulator that doesn't simulate camping chairs isn't worth using in modern F1.

How about Alonso decides that after Indy he's had enough of Honda, McLaren and F1 but he becomes good mates with Michael Andretti?