Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Jul 2005, 14:31 (Ref:1353576)   #1
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
So, Who will win WDC/WCC

We are over half way through the season now, who do you think will win the 2 championships? I can't honestly see anyone catching Fernando, but i do think that sundays race has turned round Juan Pablo's season and McLaren are only 15 points off Renault so, for me.....

WDC Fernando Alonso

WCC McLaren
Old 12 Jul 2005, 14:48 (Ref:1353592)   #2
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
big chances for that to happen MrV .. but we'll just have to wait and see

Ciao Marco
Old 12 Jul 2005, 14:55 (Ref:1353599)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Alonso or Raikkonen

McLaren
Old 12 Jul 2005, 15:05 (Ref:1353607)   #4
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Alonso, Renault.
Old 12 Jul 2005, 15:07 (Ref:1353608)   #5
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
To get enough points for the WCC McLaren will be forced to be more cautious with performance, which will probably mean that Kimi can't win the WDC. I suppose they aren't actually that far away from having to make that choice anyway... hmm.

Alonso and Renault is my call, but it could be super close on the Constructor's.
Old 12 Jul 2005, 15:13 (Ref:1353617)   #6
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Menelaos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alonso, McLaren both are equally certain in my opinion

EDIT: both could end up differently though. The only sure thing is that if Raikkonen wins the title then McLaren will also win the title. This is certainly not the case for Alonso & Renault.
Old 12 Jul 2005, 15:41 (Ref:1353639)   #7
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Both are equally certain, but both could end up different? So both are equally uncertain? :-p

Anyway, I would say that Fernando and Mclaren are likely to win their respective championships.

Who knows, though, it could be Kimi/Renault; there might even be a stunning run of disasters for both teams and Ferrari/Michael win both titles!

There are varying degrees of likelihood, with the variability able to be taken either in statistical or subjective terms (even both, as tends to be the case).
I guess the ultimate unknown is what makes sport so interesting.
Old 12 Jul 2005, 15:48 (Ref:1353647)   #8
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
There are varying degrees of likelihood, with the variability able to be taken either in statistical or subjective terms (even both, as tends to be the case).
I guess the ultimate unknown is what makes sport so interesting.
The ultimate unknown is what does the first sentence mean!
Old 12 Jul 2005, 15:58 (Ref:1353658)   #9
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
LMAO. Fair comment.

What I meant to get across was: whilst we may speculate, using empirical evidence and /or personal interpretation, we really can never know before it happens, and, therefore, the only way to find out is to watch the races.
Old 12 Jul 2005, 16:06 (Ref:1353667)   #10
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
On a controversial note, I would suggest that Renault's losing of the WCC this year could cost Fisi his seat. Flavio was quick to pull Trulli when he faltered and I doubt he was too happy with Fisi stalling her in 2 successive races; and one likely costing Renault a podium finish.
Old 12 Jul 2005, 16:12 (Ref:1353674)   #11
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Although mathematically, the WDC/WCC is supposedly wide open, the WDC is almost certain to be Alonso's already...unless big disaster strikes for Renault.

Similarly, WCC may seem like a close contest, with even Ferrari seemingly to be in with a chance...but it's going to probably end up in Mclaren's hands, at worse Renault.

I would have loved to see Kimi win the WDC this year..but it's going to be very difficult, despite what the points table try to suggest.
Old 12 Jul 2005, 16:12 (Ref:1353675)   #12
DSM
Veteran

DSM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As was said several times on Sunday it's not possible to 'stall' an F1 car, unless there is a software or other problem.
Old 12 Jul 2005, 16:18 (Ref:1353681)   #13
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Menelaos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
Both are equally certain, but both could end up different? So both are equally uncertain? :-p
Yes my friend Both are equally certain, say 80%, but there's a 20% for each of them to end up different. And you said, this means that they're also equally uncertain. Ah, studying applied physics doesn't really help me communicate now, does it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt_R
I would have loved to see Kimi win the WDC this year..but it's going to be very difficult, despite what the points table try to suggest.
I too think it's pretty unlikely, but not because of the gap. Mostly because of the not-so-reliable McLarens. It wouldn't be SO weird if Alonso did not finish one of the remaining 8 races. So, if McLarens were reliable Raikkonen could get 10 points there (==>16 points) and then they could start taking 2 or 4 extra points per gp. But it's much more likely that Raikkonen will have to retire instead of Alonso in some of the remaining GPs.
Old 12 Jul 2005, 16:18 (Ref:1353684)   #14
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the rules for this season make it difficult to forecast the winners. This ten place back rule for an engine change can shake things up and a retirement from a race which leads to qualifying early in the next race can have a disadvantage
Old 12 Jul 2005, 16:22 (Ref:1353687)   #15
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
We are lining ourselves up for 18 retirements every remaining race, with a Minardi 1-2 in each event.

Well, okay, maybe not.......
Old 12 Jul 2005, 16:32 (Ref:1353694)   #16
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As long as the car is reliable, Fernando is too strong to be caught. As for the constructors, it is likely to come down to the performance of the "second" drivers. On current form, you would say McLaren, as it is hard to know what to expect out of Fisi and/or his car.
Old 12 Jul 2005, 16:38 (Ref:1353699)   #17
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM
As was said several times on Sunday it's not possible to 'stall' an F1 car, unless there is a software or other problem.
Well than someone is not doing their job, but nevertheless, I think Fisi would be on shaky ground if McLaren goes on to take this years WCC.
From McLaren's perspective, JPM should be on form now that he has that 1st win with his new team and Kimi has looked mighty impressive for a while now. If the McLaren stays reliable, it could get interesting.
Old 12 Jul 2005, 18:21 (Ref:1353759)   #18
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
WDC- Alonso is in a really strong position to become the youngest ever champion and the championship is Fernando's to lose. However I would like to see Kimi win it especially after the heartache of 2003 and the dismal 2004... i think at this moment Kimi is a more polished driver than Alonso...something that i'm sure will even out during the next year or two..... but i'm looking forward to some good championship battles between these two for the next few years to come....

WCC- I think Renault will eek this one out if everything goes according to plan.... Fisi will improve IMO and get some decent results and Alonso will/should win a couple more races. Mclaren will come very close...
Old 12 Jul 2005, 18:29 (Ref:1353769)   #19
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Alonso will win the WDC and he will bloody well deserve it. Only made one error all year, amazing considering his press on attitude. He's like Schumacher, with less errors. And he's charismatic too, which is perhaps irrelevant, but nice all the same.

Kimi would deserve it less so, although he would be a popular champion. He has been lightning, but a patchy start and Mercedes' recent unreliability has hampered things.

The constructors title will be shaded by McLaren I feel, they have the best car by a fair margin I feel. It's a case of whether Mercedes buck up their ideas, which I'm sure they will. They have been so reliable, these past two races have been so uncharacteristic. However, I wouldn't be all that surprised if Renault got the WCC. Fisi was excellent in the Brit GP, despite his pit bungle. If he keeps that up, Renault have a big chance.

So Alonso and McLaren for me. The driver of the moment and the car of the moment sharing the honours.
Old 12 Jul 2005, 19:06 (Ref:1353966)   #20
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Either of them would make a deserved champion, but I can't shake the feeling that Kimi is the better of the two drivers. I'm pulling for him. As for the constructor's, given Renault's Ferrari-like concentration on only providing one reliable car, I think McLaren will take it.
Old 12 Jul 2005, 19:30 (Ref:1353994)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm perfectly happy to see either of them win it - either would be a deserving champion, but I give the edge to Alonso. Same goes for the the teams - although McLaren could well be coming seriously good at just the right time. I'm going to go for RD's boys on the basis that they have the real experience in a fight like this.
Old 12 Jul 2005, 19:42 (Ref:1354005)   #22
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Alonso deserves to win the WDC, but I would risk a tenner on JPM as an outsider, wolf in the pack. Hes got the car and is now on a flyer. The interest for me lies in KR and JPM, if reliability probs continue for Kimi, JPM could get close; who would Ron favour then? Both wont give way to the other. The other slight niggle is Alonsos Latin temper or impatience on the track when overtaking backmarkers or being chased fast (Montreal wall). He then tends to lose track time on marbles, brake locking etc, but he deserves the WDC. Fisi I think is gone at the end of season; not all his fault, but hes been here once too often, and Flav has the Latin bit too. World Team Championship should be McClaren, car is strong and JPM will keep pushing to catch up Kimi, who will respond lets hope with better reliability. The pressure is on for Alonso.
Old 12 Jul 2005, 19:44 (Ref:1354007)   #23
IL LEONE
Racer

United Kingdom
London
IL LEONE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If I had to put my money down then I would have to opt for an Alonso & Renault double whammy, although both WDC & WCC could be a close run thing.
One thing for sure is that if it is, then I think we are in for an even better second half period of the season than the first.

Here's hoping then
Old 12 Jul 2005, 22:32 (Ref:1354198)   #24
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
This MUST be the first year DC has not declared his chances of winning the WDC?
Old 12 Jul 2005, 22:34 (Ref:1354201)   #25
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
OK Ok Ill retract that; never said it,. else it wil start a thread weve read before..