Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 16 Sep 2005, 18:04 (Ref:1409463)   #16
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Terry McNally/John Homewood

Dan, Andrew, I told you not to start me off! Terry McNally lived in Kirby Muxloe, and actually had bits of his engine on the kitchen table, much to the disdain of Betty his wife (who always attended the circuits wearing a chequered skirt Remember?) He did all his own engine work, and was a supervisor with the GPO later BT. John Homewood, well, we had some terrific dices at Brands, where he always beat me. The more I look at this website, the more I go back in time, and recall old mates like Denis Nott, who had a wacking great Rover V8 thing. Stephen Soper (wonder whatever happened to him Ha,ha), Mo Mendham, who was the reason I saw Sky,Tarmac and Sky again at Shaws Hairpin at Mallory Park, he was in the mini that "kissed" the rear corner of the Anglia, and over I went. But there I go again guy's..............By the way Andrew, yes it was Rogers car. Roger liked my Volvo p1800s and so we did a deal, some pound notes changed hands and that was it. He moved on, and I raced the famous Williamson Anglia for the next five seasons (with much success too). Roger was a good mate to me, and was always there with advice. I remember asking him how to get good times round Mallory, and I remember his exact words. "You must enter Gerrards Flat! in Top, and if you exit pulling 8.5, your on for a pole!" I still think about him. Brilliant, happy days. Gerry.
Old 17 Sep 2005, 00:04 (Ref:1409645)   #17
driftwood
Veteran

driftwood has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
why was richard long known as rupert?
he raced the anglia then had space frame imp ( i cant recall if he was the 1st to do so or jeff ward had that honour) its just about the time i was allowed to go racing nearly before my time !!
Homewood had the 1st Davrian floor pan Imp and raced what was the last Frazer imp in kent messenger series ( according to AS article i read)
Old 17 Sep 2005, 05:01 (Ref:1409735)   #18
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Richard RUPERT Long?

Morning Driftwood. Richard named himself RUPERT as he had a large cartoon of Rupert The Bear on his car roof! I called him one day, telling him I was from Express Newspapers, and we wondered when he was going to pay his Royalties True! He spent around five minutes telling me (the Express guy) that it was only a joke, and that he would get it off, and please don't sue! When I told him it was only me, He went Ape......But we did have a laugh about it at the next meeting. Ah, those were the days. I'm not sure about who had the imp first, I'm going to find all this out when I catch up with him. Take Care. Gerry.
Old 17 Sep 2005, 09:59 (Ref:1409794)   #19
driftwood
Veteran

thanks for that info Gerry i saw him once as a kid with rupert bear on the car im sure it was the imp at brands in those days he didnt come that far south poor road service made travelling to tracks awkward unlike today ( subject to a contra flow or 2!! ) and with so many tracks having domestics sereis u didnt need to travel the length and breadth of the country
Old 17 Sep 2005, 17:24 (Ref:1409985)   #20
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Other Special Saloon Names!!!

Driftwood, Yeah the roads were bad back then, and your right that's why some would only race at the track nearest them. But, when your chasing pots, or championships you had to travel. I recall having my mechanic Dave Neale, take the van and trailer with the Anglia on board up to INGLISTON in Edinburgh, while I caught the night train up after work that day! That was a jaunt I can tell you. Here's a few names to conjure with. These were my mentors (and I'm 65 as I said!) LAURIE HICKMAN Ford Anglia, he raced for Castle Service Station, Dudley. IAN MITCHELL Mini, Team Charles Clarke, Wolverhampton, DOUG GRIFFITHS Mini, PETER PROCTOR, Anglia, RAY PAYNE, Hartwell Imp, and dear WILLY KAYE, who spent the money for his wifes new washing machine on an engine rebuild! I often wonder what theyre doing now? What a get together it would be if we all met up again. I'd bet that dear Gerry Marshall would be there watching over us. Bye, Gerry.
Old 17 Sep 2005, 20:28 (Ref:1410049)   #21
driftwood
Veteran

your now going backto the late 60`s very early 70`s with those names
ray payne built me an imp engine in 87
my dad started racing saloons in 74 just as space frames came along in 75/6
tony hazlewood has his daf33 and is rebuilding it he was down to me the other day & hopes to have it running by easter 06
if u look trhu the threads for the past 100 days u will find some other saloon threads to wet yr whistle
Old 18 Sep 2005, 00:18 (Ref:1410123)   #22
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Other Saloon Threads.

Thanks Matey, will do. Gerry.
Old 23 Sep 2005, 15:16 (Ref:1414892)   #23
2F-001
Rookie

2F-001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gosh, so many names that I saw racing in my childhood - particularly at Mallory (grew up near the old bit of Braunstone, near LFE and Kirby).

Hello Dan: the Mini-mounted brothers would have been Paul and Greg Taft, perhaps?

re: 'Rupert' Long... wasn't it he who also had a beautiful Imp-enginged Karmann Ghia, based on a McGuire spaceframe or something similar? Or am I confusing him with someone else?

Last edited by 2F-001; 23 Sep 2005 at 15:18. Reason: additional info
Old 23 Sep 2005, 15:18 (Ref:1414894)   #24
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That was David Enderby I think.
Old 23 Sep 2005, 15:19 (Ref:1414895)   #25
2F-001
Rookie

Yes, it was. Thank you, Andrew!
Old 23 Sep 2005, 21:16 (Ref:1415086)   #26
driftwood
Veteran

the docs khaman ghia was sports 2000 based car with 1 litre then 1300 bda in it later
before that he had maguire stilleto
1st maguire imp was around 1979 or 80 he had done minis prior to the imps also did 1 skoda and 2 esprit gt cars before he went on to do Gp 1 /2 BTCC cars golf gti and bmw m3 i recall
1st space frame imp was jeff ward in 76
Old 23 Sep 2005, 23:25 (Ref:1415138)   #27
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Saloon Racers From The Past!

Hey Guy's this could run and run! What have I started Ha,ha. Does anyone remember these drivers? They were racing when I first began in 1964! Then the last I heard or saw of them was in the late sixties. LAURIE HICKMAN Ford Anglia. White car, and I seem to recall Castle Service Station of Dudley on the side. Then there was a guy I raced against IAN MITCHELL Team Charles Clarke from Wolverhampton. Someone we mentioned earlier MIKE BERMAN The Infamous BERPOP creator. Mike is still going strong, and runs a Theatrical Costume business in Liecester. Incidentally I shall be returning to Mallory Park this Sunday, not to race I hasten to add (although if anyones offering, no? ah, well) I havn't been back since I retired from the game in 1975, so am really looking forward to seeing the old place once again. I was speaking with Ron Overend earlier, he tells me he too retired from Mallory last year and it's now owned by BARC. Great to talk about those great innovative, pioneering hybrid racing adventurous days! Gerry "SWISH" Taylor.
Old 24 Sep 2005, 08:48 (Ref:1415245)   #28
2F-001
Rookie

Thanks, driftwood. My memories of the Karmann are obviously a little sketchier than I thought: I have some magazine articles on it stashed away somewhere - I should have sought these out first! So was the earlier 1 litre engine an Imp, or are you suggesting it was a small BD-derivative (like a BDJ)? Since he had previously raced Imps, did I just assume this was originally Imp-motivated? I had forgotten the 1.3 phase - but I don't think I ever saw it run in that guise.

The 'Team Charles Clark' mini and the Berpop are among my earliest memories of Mallory. Although I'd attended a couple of times before that, I think, they were the 'stand out' cars from those times (apart from Lotus 7s - still a credible Clubmans car then - which became an enduring passion).

--------
tony p

Last edited by 2F-001; 24 Sep 2005 at 08:51. Reason: spelling!
Old 24 Sep 2005, 14:40 (Ref:1415370)   #29
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
John Wales also raced the Berpop and I also remember him winning the small saloons race at Mallory in an NSU - I reckon 1969?
Old 24 Sep 2005, 19:35 (Ref:1415530)   #30
driftwood
Veteran

karman ghia was 1 litre imp powered then 1300 bda later car was bit too heavey for the 1 litre lump