Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 4 May 2003, 15:55 (Ref:589221)   #1
Ben Culverhouse
Rookie

Ben Culverhouse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where can you buy old V8 Supercars?

Having tried a lot on the search engines I cannot find a suitable website to find old V8 Racecars. Can any of you guys in Australia please point me to a few URLs where I can have a browse?

There are a few V8s here now and I have been blown away by an old Falcon at Oulton Park and would love to see if there is any mileage in importing one as the exchange rate is so good at the moment.

Kind regards

Ben
Old 4 May 2003, 16:21 (Ref:589259)   #2
hoonboyz
Racer

hoonboyz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
an EX SBR car= EL falcon is for sale in our racing mag ( Auto Action) all the gear etc $90,000
Phone number (0)- which i think you drop 418 721 776
contact is Ian Simpson
i hope this is of help
Old 4 May 2003, 16:53 (Ref:589279)   #3
Ben Culverhouse
Rookie

Thinking more along the lines of $40,000 so not at all shy of 10 year old cars..........
Old 4 May 2003, 22:14 (Ref:589594)   #4
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good to see some overseas interest in our racing.

Id imagine a MG would probably look a little dwarfed by these monsters we have although some euro circuits would be a benefit to the potential of the races these cars are involved in!

At the end of this year the VP/R/S Commodores (Both Holden and Chev engines) and ED/F/L Falcons wil be on the scrapheap as they will be no longer allowed to race in the Konica series.

If you check out the organisers website ( www.v8supercar.com.au ) there is links to all the teams websites and contact details too. You could try speaking to them direct and findout what their plans are for these cars at the end of the year.

Also try my105.com

GOOD LUCK
Old 5 May 2003, 00:59 (Ref:589681)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I presume you are talking about Mike Newton's car? Its an ex-DJR car, worth at the time maybe $100k, bought locally in a pair from Neil Schembri

If you want something reasonable with the right bits in it, that isnt totally shagged, the SBR car mentioned above is certainly the way to go. Its would be a similar car to the DJR unit, but the SBR car generally had a better chassis.

There are other cars around, there is the 1997 Bathurst winner around and about for A$55k, but without having had a birthday in a long time, and not so much as a spare fanbelt, it could prove a false economy.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 5 May 2003, 02:40 (Ref:589723)   #6
Onlooker
Veteran

Onlooker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Contact AVESCO on the www.v8supercars.com.au site and they should be able to get you a list of the cars from the past.Some are running as Sports Sedans etc.A guy by the name of Ray Robbins would probally have a good idea of the whereabouts of them.

"Montoya made some last minute changes to his suspension but it seemed to effect it's handling"-Classic
Old 5 May 2003, 03:18 (Ref:589729)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There is a pic of Ric Wood's ex-GMS VS in Autosport Apr24 edition, the panel fit looks dodgy, a pretty poor presentation over all....

The model he runs in Formula Saloons is one of the ones mentioned above that will be out of homologation at the end of the season, so will be available relatively inexpensively
Old 5 May 2003, 03:53 (Ref:589738)   #8
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are you set on owning a V8 Supercar? Ever consider a Supertouring car? There are plenty available for sale. Though perhaps the engine maintenance of these F1 cousins could be more expensive than their V8 counterparts?
Old 5 May 2003, 05:35 (Ref:589760)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
There is a team in Perth that run an ex-Group A BMW 635Csi with a Perkins Engineering Holden Supercar engine in it....

That is the cheapest way to combine the finesse of a SuperTourer or Group A car and the reliable grunt of a Chev
Old 5 May 2003, 07:40 (Ref:589820)   #10
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You're probably going to struggle to get a 10 year old car, because racing cars don't die, they either keep getting upgraded, or have the guts torn out of them and stuffed into new cars. You could probably pick up an old caged shell for $10K.
Old 5 May 2003, 10:25 (Ref:589904)   #11
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
There is a team in Perth that run an ex-Group A BMW 635Csi with a Perkins Engineering Holden Supercar engine in it....
Is that the ex-Simon Emmerling BMW, used at Bathurst in 1985 and 1986. The Fiat Uno Turbo from Bathurst 1986 resides in WA nowadays doesn't it?
Old 5 May 2003, 10:37 (Ref:589913)   #12
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Gordon Mitchell Fiat Uno has always resided in WA.
Old 5 May 2003, 10:42 (Ref:589916)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Sure is Racer69....
Old 5 May 2003, 16:06 (Ref:590125)   #14
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interestingly, I did a small search myself and I couldn't find any V8 Supercars for sale? Perhaps the fact they're only racing in Australia, keeps people from advertising them online.
Old 5 May 2003, 19:03 (Ref:590235)   #15
Ben Culverhouse
Rookie

Thanks for the replies, most useful. The reality is only a pure fascination and draw to these cars. I am a Ford man and would prefer the Falcon. I have been using Cosworths Sierras and Saphires for some years now and whilst they are devastatingly fast and relatively cheap bang for your buck, you can't beat the smell of a V8 in the morning! I spent a year in Oz in the mid 90s and was exposed to the 351 Cleveland lump a few times and always fancied an XB GT..........

Seriously though, I want a car that is different, faster than the Sierras and am hoping with the V8, reliable. It would be more sensible to run a Holden due to the popularity of the motor (relative in UK as still rare). Initially the car will be run on the Track-Action trackdays and then look for a series to campaign it in funding permitting. Current funds are probably at 1/3 necessary for travel, inspection and then shipping and should be able to action within 6 months.

In the UK we get to see the V8 supercars, Brutes, Nations cup, Konica series occasionally and the PTP (?) production cars............ I want a V8, it's that simple.

Kind regards

Ben
Old 5 May 2003, 22:39 (Ref:590430)   #16
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
I found one for you, Check out this one----=

http://www.my105.com/product.asp?id=1478

Good Luck
Old 5 May 2003, 23:05 (Ref:590446)   #17
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Heres some more from the same site-

http://www.my105.com/product.asp?id=1112
http://www.my105.com/product.asp?id=1380
http://www.my105.com/product.asp?id=865

Theres some Commodore Cup cars on this site as well, cheaper, probably cheaper to run with similar excitement & sound.
Old 6 May 2003, 03:59 (Ref:590525)   #18
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
The #1478 ad is allegedly the 1995 Bathurst winner, so the bits should be available from the PErkins Engineering catalog (if your Mastercard has enough limit!)
Old 7 May 2003, 13:05 (Ref:592343)   #19
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by GTRMagic
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ahhhhhh what a waste of a BMW
Old 14 May 2003, 01:22 (Ref:598415)   #20
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Recent Ads

Hey Ben,

Hows the search going?

Heres some phone numbers for people who may be able to help as they have cars for sale. Taken from today's (14 May 03) Auto Action magazine.

VS Commodore, EX C.Lowndes HRT 2nd Bathurst 94 $AUD25,000, no eng or box (also has spares for sale) Wendy, Aust Victoria 03 9580 7047

VS Commodore, Dont know history, "Fresh Engine & driveline POA, i dont guess it would be very expensive though, Aust Mobile 0427 811 805

Sorry theres no web info on these, but id recon you might be able to land these there for the right sort of money.

What class can you race these things in?

Good Luck mate.
Old 17 May 2003, 12:03 (Ref:601705)   #21
Ben Culverhouse
Rookie

Thanks rdmdog,

The search won't progress in earnest for a few months as finances won't permit it just yet but will happen soon enough!

You can race these in the Formula Saloons Championship here where already there are a couple pitting against Super Tourers and ageing Sierras.

Laters

Ben
Old 17 May 2003, 13:25 (Ref:601750)   #22
the man
Veteran

the man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
that would be great racing cars of today and cars of yester year
Old 17 May 2003, 13:46 (Ref:601767)   #23
CooperS79
Racer

Australia
Wollongong
CooperS79 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ben does this series have a website at all??
Old 17 May 2003, 14:15 (Ref:601777)   #24
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CooperS79: www.formulasaloons.com

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 17 May 2003, 14:29 (Ref:601783)   #25
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A good XB GT, don't we all want one of those...