Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 22 Jan 2011, 20:05 (Ref:2819296)   #1
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Springbok Series Killarney ZA 2011

Our imminent holiday happens (fortuitously) to co-incide with the Historic meeting at Killarney near Cape Town on Feb 5/6. Not been to Killarney before so any hints on where to watch from, good spots for photos and any other helpful info appreciated. Thanks
Old 22 Jan 2011, 23:22 (Ref:2819363)   #2
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
You will not need any hints. Just have a fabulous time, I have been lucky enough to spanner and race in ZA. Marcus Mussa and Jason Minshaw will be there both 10/10th ers.Not sure if you have been their before but from the circuit you can look out and see Table Top Mountain.Spectators are very enthusiastic and also knowledgeable on historic motor sport.AFAIK there are no restrictions on roaming around the pits ,viewing cars and chatting to drivers.If you would like to send me a PM, I will give you a couple of names of my mates that are going.No problem just very envious.
Old 23 Jan 2011, 11:12 (Ref:2819481)   #3
Rotary7
Rookie

South Africa
South Africa
Rotary7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This event is the highlight of our 'historic' year. You'll come across many 'replicas' that would probably never be allowed to share the track with original cars, but virtually all the good stuff - and there plenty of it - was exported for profit when our currency was weak. No matter - the racing is good, looks right, goes on for 2 days, and the hospitality is top notch. You will feel most welcome. Bring plenty of sunscreen!
Old 23 Jan 2011, 11:52 (Ref:2819494)   #4
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Uh, perhaps this is not the place to say it. But the best holiday I ever had was in ZA and included a visit to a Killarney race meeting. The whole experience is one I have savored ever since.
Incidently, the meeting organisers did an interesting thing, the cars types were so eclectic that rather than try and have all types of different classes with a handful of cars in each. The cars were classed on lap times with about 3 or 4 classes in each race. It worked surprisingly well. So you had tuney low capacity Nissans in the same class as big standard engined Beemers and suchlike. That was all a few years ago and no doubt things have changed a bit since.
Old 23 Jan 2011, 12:21 (Ref:2819504)   #5
Rotary7
Rookie

South Africa
South Africa
Funnily, I've just been paging thro' old copies of Speedsport International, and came across the 1968 Springbok Series 3 Hour race at Killarney (remember spectating on the exit of Cape Town Corner - then known as BP Bend). Race won in the dying minutes by Paul Hawkins in the ex-Can Am Ferrari P4 from Piper/Atwood P4 and Hobbs/Haiwood Mirage. It was a REAL thriller with the commentators doing a great job of keeping the huge crowd captivated by the dice for the lead. What I'd never noticed before was that the car that became my first race car, a Mini Cooper S (in 1071cc form here) came 17th, covering 77% of the winner's distance. That equates to being lapped every 5 laps - glad I wasn't driving it yet!
Old 23 Jan 2011, 19:29 (Ref:2819605)   #6
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Peter can you keep us posted on here how the races are going ect. Cheers.Iain.Dont give us too much information on weather,BBQ's nights out ect. That will only cheese me off.
Old 24 Jan 2011, 10:27 (Ref:2819787)   #7
Rotary7
Rookie

South Africa
South Africa
How is it possible to talk of the Springbok Series (as well as this weekend's meeting at Zwartkops) without much mention of weather, BBQ's/braais, nights out, etc.. Prepare to be mildly cheesed off Iain, the fun starts with drinks & nosh on Thursday evening for the single-seater contingent, altho' I'm sure there will be plenty of most welcome gate-crashers. This, after all, is what historic motorsport is supposed to be about, isn't it?
Not sure exactly what the Zwartkops meeting is called; the SSR's call it "The Passsion For Speed", whilst the programme calls it the "David Piper International". Whatever - they both work for me.
Old 25 Jan 2011, 07:58 (Ref:2820236)   #8
Killarney
Rookie

South Africa
Cape Town
Killarney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The track is easy to move around and generally plenty of space. The weather is invariably hot, maybe windy, so come well prepared.
Old 25 Jan 2011, 10:40 (Ref:2820284)   #9
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks for all the info - we're looking forward to it !!
Old 25 Jan 2011, 11:10 (Ref:2820298)   #10
Rotary7
Rookie

South Africa
South Africa
Just received Zwartkops final programme - the words David Piper International have disappeared!!!
Old 30 Jan 2011, 08:17 (Ref:2822588)   #11
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Marcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Zwartkops meeting went well - the weather cleared up finally - there has been a lot of rain in South Africa. Jason was elected driver of the day after a fantastic charge from the back of the field in the saloon car race. He was relegated to the back as the favourites protested he was too quick in qualifying! Great driving. He was in a massive Chevrolet something or other - actually quite small compared to some of the cars.
It rained a bit before our single seat final, so I thought I had a good chance (Merlyn Mk20 FF) as I had been told South African drivers do not like to drive in the rain. Unfortunately they drive better than me, so I finished well back - actually I spun on the grass in full view of the pits (which included my wife!). Peter (rotary7 apparently, although he did not spin quite that often) went very well in a borrowed Titan FF. He gave me a hard time in the first heat (dry). I finished 3rd overall in the FF class despite the spin. Alan Baillie won the first heat but collided with somebody and a crack developed in his chassis (the tube acts as a water pipe), so his car leaked when they started it for the second heat and he withdrew. He had won another race in his Lotus 23 in the meantime so he was not too disappointed. Robin Longdon broke his Lola Mk1 engine. Alex Morton won his class in his ex Neville Lederle Lotus 21. Now off to Killarney (via a few days by the Indian Ocean).
Best regards
Marcus
Old 30 Jan 2011, 08:42 (Ref:2822595)   #12
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
A B having a collision "that's unusual".Tell Minshaw he is a bully.Not like you to have a spin. Very jealous.Have fun in Kilarney,good luck
Old 30 Jan 2011, 17:25 (Ref:2822807)   #13
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Marcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hi Iain!
In AB's race with the Lotus 23 (which he finally won overall) he had a big ding dong with Jackie Schekter (Ian Schekter's son) who was driving a Ferrari 250 SWB (hot rod) and the Lotus 23 now has Ferrari size tyre marks all the way down its side! Not bad for a 74 year old! He just won't give up an inch!
I was not too pleased with myself - spinning on the grass and coming across the track almost hitting the pit wall - that is with 105 bhp - just imagine what I can do with 520!
Ah well, you only die once! I hope..
Marcus

Last edited by Marcus Mussa; 30 Jan 2011 at 17:31.
Old 30 Jan 2011, 17:31 (Ref:2822813)   #14
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
When are you going to announce the 2011 race car you are driving Marcus.
Old 30 Jan 2011, 17:34 (Ref:2822816)   #15
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
When are you going to announce the 2011 race car you are driving Marcus.
I am trying to book a test at Silverstone on 24th Feb - If I don't scare myself sh..tless I will announce it then!
Old 30 Jan 2011, 19:09 (Ref:2822859)   #16
R D P
Racer

Germany
Schwabach - Germany
R D P should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marcus - tell AB greeting from Ralf from Germany (I am looking forward to picking up my Lotus soon from him). Saw your (ex) Brabham two weeks ago there in bits.

Cheers and enjoy !
Ralf
Old 31 Jan 2011, 17:05 (Ref:2823327)   #17
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Quote:
Originally Posted by R D P View Post
Marcus - tell AB greeting from Ralf from Germany (I am looking forward to picking up my Lotus soon from him). Saw your (ex) Brabham two weeks ago there in bits.

Cheers and enjoy !
Ralf
I will tell AB. Yes my Brabham now sold to Italy to make way for the new project.
I am glad Peter could see the SC sign on his camera - I thought I was imagining things. I had an enormous lead on the first lap then slowed right down when I saw the sign. Peter came steaming past so I was starting to get very upset, like I usually do, but at the next marshall post there was just a green flashing light! As a result everybody caught me up and I got confused and spun, mutter mutter...

The good news in SA is that Howard Robinson has bought the fabulous Alfa Special which Peter de Klerk drove in the SA GP in ??? It will be restored by the same shop who restored his Titan FF so it will be magnificent. Up to now it has always performed like a four wheel version of the Torrey Canyon.

Marcus
Old 31 Jan 2011, 12:47 (Ref:2823187)   #18
Rotary7
Rookie

South Africa
South Africa
Delta, Marcus has beaten me to it with feedback of the Zwartkops weekend. In our wettish 2nd race I only managed 2 spins, luckily out of most peoples view. I can claim to have led both races at some point, the first after an unfortunately too obvious jumped start (30sec penalty) and the second after not seeing a very briefly displayed safety car sign (it's amazingly clearly visible on my in-car footage) and jumping 2 places in one corner!!! Let's just say I was still getting used to driving a FFord.
Otherwise a very enjoyable weekend with nothing irrepairably damaged.
Old 31 Jan 2011, 13:56 (Ref:2823217)   #19
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Well done Peter. This all sounds like normal FFord driving.Are you now back at Cape town.
Old 1 Feb 2011, 09:07 (Ref:2823685)   #20
Rotary7
Rookie

South Africa
South Africa
Iain, Yes I'm back in CT (at work believe it or not - these bloody month-ends never seem to stop!) and have 2 fresh cars for this weekend. The Cooper certainly won't be troubling the front-runners, but I hope the Seven will. Last year I cooked it's motor by using an extra 1500 revs which allowed for a lower gear and better drive out of a couple of corners. Won't be repeating that trick, so will have to drive better instead!
Old 7 Feb 2011, 09:17 (Ref:2827090)   #21
Rotary7
Rookie

South Africa
South Africa
Killarney rounds of the Springbok Series went off well I thought. Perfect weather, not too hot or windy. Grids were a bit on the small size, but there was good racing going on. The 2-day format means you're never rushed off your feet.
Of my own 2 cars, the Cooper burnt out it's clutch and lost drive in the first race. In the second the clutch gripped so well that the drive chain snapped a lap from the end (crappy quality 1/2 link that I have to use) . The Seven raced in a category called Post '74 Sports & GT, which catered for dodgy cars like mine with non period engines etc., as well as genuine stuff like Sports 2000, Porsche 956 and the like. Had 2 fantastic races, kept busy all the time, really had to concentrate on not making mistakes. Got a 4th and a 2nd for 3rd overall.
Iain, you would have enjoyed it. Now get onto Jim and tell him the Galaxie HAS to come here next year, there are more and more Yankee barges than ever before.
Old 7 Feb 2011, 09:24 (Ref:2827095)   #22
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Thanks Peter ,I am thinking you should change your avatar name to "tenacious 7".Or just sell the 500. . I will start working on Jim.Keep in touch and very best to all my freinds in ZA.
Old 10 Feb 2011, 10:04 (Ref:2828968)   #23
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
Just back this morning from a wonderful holiday in South Africa. Thoroughly enjoyed the laid back approach at Killarney on the Sunday (Vernon Hope, a local photographer, was helpful in suggesting where to shoot from in the afternoon; thanks).
No programmes seemed to be available (is that usual ?) so I'll need to find some results to find out who was who and what they were driving (apart from the obvious).
Old 27 Nov 2019, 10:58 (Ref:3943140)   #24
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
https://www.flickr.com/gp/dwh38/7L9y0o

Inspired by the Kyalami 9 Hours last weekend, I went back to these photos from the 2011 Springbok Series at Killarney. Presented for nostalgia rather than photographic quality (I'd yet to slow down the shutter speed), these are photos from Sunday.

There's a few familiar looking cars and drivers ... provenance of some of the local entries unknown - Martini Porsche 917, for example.

I'd forgotten the wall of containers, preferring Table Mountain as a backdrop.
Old 27 Nov 2019, 11:24 (Ref:3943146)   #25
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
I am back down there in 2020. Taking my Lotus 22 and I am not working so happy days.