Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Oct 2011, 10:46 (Ref:2968010)   #26
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
But how long has it been since Jense was all of a sudden brilliant at helping develop/set up a car?

I seem to recall the reason he has Rubens alongside him at Honda was because he couldn't and Rubinho could plus they had Ant as test driver who apparently is pretty handy at understanding things?
I think it's like alot of things people develop differently and at different rates. Also in the case of Button maybe working at McLaren suits him better than when he was at Brawn? He's shown he's good with the tyre calls and therefore things have progressed to the stage that McLaren have seen his potential as a development driver and have encouraged this to good effect.
Old 9 Oct 2011, 15:01 (Ref:2968098)   #27
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How important is the drivers input when it comes to the development of cars these days? The sensoring technology have progressed a lot and is extremely accurate and precise these days, not to mention the simulators of course. I think the value of having a good driver for car development is vastly overrated. You dont go about doing engineering by feel, you do it by using math.
Old 9 Oct 2011, 16:26 (Ref:2968141)   #28
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wims View Post
How important is the drivers input when it comes to the development of cars these days? The sensoring technology have progressed a lot and is extremely accurate and precise these days, not to mention the simulators of course. I think the value of having a good driver for car development is vastly overrated. You dont go about doing engineering by feel, you do it by using math.
I would have thought feel still plays a part, after all a simulator is just that, a simulator.
Old 9 Oct 2011, 16:37 (Ref:2968148)   #29
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Having re-signed Button, McLaren's Paddy Lowe said:

"Having a good driver with good feedback is essential still in Formula 1 even though these days we have far more experience with offline tools, more simulations, etc."

"We are still very reliant on the driver's feedback and his responses to the changes we make, and indeed his suggestions to changes made."
Old 10 Oct 2011, 09:56 (Ref:2968539)   #30
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
I also agree with what others have said that the Jenson Button of 2011 is a completely different animal to the Jenson Button of 2004 for example.
Jenson himself has said he feels he is an infiniitely better driver now that when he won his title, let alone 2004.

It seems a lot has clicked with Jenson quite recently. I guess with some drivers it happens that way. I suspect he learnt a great deal about car set up and development at Brawn and has brought that knowledge into McLaren.

It's quite a late development he's had career-wise, when you consider that now - and depending what happens during the extended 2012 test calendar that is the last four races - you could quite conceivably say Button is likely to be Vettel's main threat next season.
Old 10 Oct 2011, 12:13 (Ref:2968647)   #31
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
Jenson himself has said he feels he is an infiniitely better driver now that when he won his title, let alone 2004.

It seems a lot has clicked with Jenson quite recently. I guess with some drivers it happens that way. I suspect he learnt a great deal about car set up and development at Brawn and has brought that knowledge into McLaren.

It's quite a late development he's had career-wise, when you consider that now - and depending what happens during the extended 2012 test calendar that is the last four races - you could quite conceivably say Button is likely to be Vettel's main threat next season.
Some guys are like wine, they get better with age...
Old 10 Oct 2011, 22:26 (Ref:2968965)   #32
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Too often in motorsport drivers seem to be written off by saying he was slower than x in his second season, Jenson is the proof that some of them develop!

It is great to see!
Old 11 Oct 2011, 17:59 (Ref:2969437)   #33
sparkione
Racer

England
Oxfordshire
sparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Well, like they said, Button is crucial for the future of McLaren... they must know something we don't.
They know a helluva lot you don't...
Old 11 Oct 2011, 23:50 (Ref:2969570)   #34
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkione View Post
They know a helluva lot you don't...
I am sure McLaren know many things we don't know, because we do not work there.. Sometimes I ask myself what is the point?
Old 12 Oct 2011, 00:38 (Ref:2969582)   #35
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Sometimes I ask myself what is the point?
And what is the answer?
Old 12 Oct 2011, 00:48 (Ref:2969585)   #36
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
And what is the answer?
There is no definitive answer....
Old 12 Oct 2011, 01:14 (Ref:2969599)   #37
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
...to everything !
Old 12 Oct 2011, 01:14 (Ref:2969600)   #38
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

...But all things must pass.
Old 12 Oct 2011, 01:22 (Ref:2969606)   #39
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
There is no definitive answer....
That depends on the question and the facts pertaining. 2 + 2 = 4 but as to whether the Universe will continue to expand or contract, there is no definitive answer, yet.
Old 12 Oct 2011, 03:06 (Ref:2969641)   #40
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Leading a team requires so much more than just one lap pace!
Here is a view of Button and Hamilton's respective relationships with the team at McLaren.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/form...e/15243571.stm
Old 12 Oct 2011, 08:02 (Ref:2969729)   #41
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
You can tell the season's basiclly wrapped up. The last 3 threads i've been in have concentrated on, Deep Purple, Peter Gabriel, Motorhead and Slayer, Mozart and his requiem, and 2 + 2 = 4 and that's the definitive answer

Time to think about hibernating for the off season soon me thinks
Old 12 Oct 2011, 08:57 (Ref:2969769)   #42
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Maybe Jenson can help McLaren with developing better mirrors for their car? Take a look at the following :-

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/111020...d-mirrors.html

Mirror, mirror, on the wall, who is the fastest of them all? Vettel, by miles it seems!
Old 12 Oct 2011, 09:01 (Ref:2969770)   #43
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Head-up-displays. Proximity alarms. Driving lessons.
Old 12 Oct 2011, 10:26 (Ref:2969815)   #44
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
...But all things must pass.
I believe the full quote is, "All things must pass Webber."

Old 12 Oct 2011, 11:11 (Ref:2969831)   #45
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
You can tell the season's basiclly wrapped up.
Ooh, I don't see it that way at all. I'm glad the inevitable Vettel championship has been done and dusted, because that way we can just watch Grands Prix rather than thinking about the championship. And there's four of them to come.
Old 12 Oct 2011, 12:03 (Ref:2969863)   #46
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Whereas some guys whine better with age.
Old 12 Oct 2011, 12:07 (Ref:2969864)   #47
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Nah, I suspect Mansell was like that even in his younger days!
Old 12 Oct 2011, 14:52 (Ref:2969943)   #48
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Speaking of...
Old 12 Oct 2011, 15:42 (Ref:2969977)   #49
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Speaking of...
Thinking of......