Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Oct 2011, 20:40 (Ref:2973505)   #1
thunderbolt
Veteran

thunderbolt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One-move rule to become part of F1 regulations

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns23668.html
Quote:
A concrete definition of Formula 1's so-called 'one move rule' laid down by the FIA's Sporting Working Group is to be written into the 2012 Sporting Regulations.
There has been controversy over whether, having moved to defend position, drivers are permitted to revert back to the ideal racing line approaching the following corner, or whether that constitutes a second move.
Old 18 Oct 2011, 21:27 (Ref:2973522)   #2
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
About time too!
Old 18 Oct 2011, 22:04 (Ref:2973538)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I wait to see the rule, but I worry it will show no sympathy for the art of racing.

Not least because I've seen some bloody dangerous one moves!
Old 18 Oct 2011, 23:01 (Ref:2973571)   #4
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbolt View Post
Quote:
"A concrete definition of Formula 1's so-called 'one move rule' laid down by the FIA's Sporting Working Group is to be written into the 2012 Sporting Regulations.
There has been controversy over whether, having moved to defend position, drivers are permitted to revert back to the ideal racing line approaching the following corner, or whether that constitutes a second move."

I thought that this was a fair interpretation TBH.
Think it has worked really well on the whole this year.

Quote Adam43:

"I wait to see the rule, but I worry it will show no sympathy for the art of racing.

Not least because I've seen some bloody dangerous one moves! "

I couldn't agree more. The art of the last millisecond chop!
Old 19 Oct 2011, 07:31 (Ref:2973701)   #5
Wild Dog
Rookie

Denmark
Denmark
Wild Dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why shouldn't it. It have been a "unofficial" rule until now, right? So it is time that it becomes a "official" rule.
Old 19 Oct 2011, 07:43 (Ref:2973710)   #6
henners88
Veteran

Wales
henners88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only real issue we've seen this season concerning this rule is Monza IMO where Schumacher chopped across the braking zone after making his one move on multiple occasions. Lewis has contributed to this too in 2 races where he's retaken the racing line and hit Massa and Kobay, but I think this rule is being put in place to make drivers more aware of their actions. Schumacher used the loophole to his advantage in Monza and Lewis was just plain silly by not checking his mirrors on the 2 occasions. I suppose drivers will be more aware and double check what they are about to do if they know a penalty is likely? Not that I want to see more penalties in F1 as this season we've had far too many unnecessary interventions as it is.
Old 19 Oct 2011, 12:49 (Ref:2973820)   #7
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If it includes a line to the effect of 'if another driver is forced to deviate from their line or adjust their speed as a result of your one move then you're not entitled to make it'. No waiting for the driver to commit or get alongside and then driving them off the circuit or making them brake to avoid a shunt.
Old 19 Oct 2011, 13:51 (Ref:2973852)   #8
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
If it includes a line to the effect of 'if another driver is forced to deviate from their line or adjust their speed as a result of your one move then you're not entitled to make it'. No waiting for the driver to commit or get alongside and then driving them off the circuit or making them brake to avoid a shunt.
Currently applied:

20.2 Manoeuvres liable to hinder other drivers, such as more than one change of direction to defend a position, deliberate crowding of a car beyond the edge of the track or any other abnormal change of direction, are not permitted.

16.1 "Incident" means any occurrence or series of occurrences involving one or more drivers, or any action by any driver, which is reported to the stewards by the race director (or noted by the stewards and referred to the race director for investigation) which :
- necessitated the suspension of a race under Article 41 ;
- constituted a breach of these Sporting Regulations or the Code ;
- caused a false start by one or more cars ;
- caused a collision ;
- forced a driver off the track ;
- illegitimately prevented a legitimate overtaking manoeuvre by a driver ;

30.13 At no time may a car be driven unnecessarily slowly, erratically or in a manner which could be deemed
potentially dangerous to other drivers or any other person. This will apply whether any such car is being
driven on the track, the pit entry or the pit lane.

Last edited by Marbot; 19 Oct 2011 at 13:58. Reason: Bending rule
Old 19 Oct 2011, 16:35 (Ref:2973907)   #9
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think it's a good move from FIA.
Old 19 Oct 2011, 16:53 (Ref:2973917)   #10
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Just so long as it's only one move.
Old 21 Oct 2011, 12:52 (Ref:2974728)   #11
3point0v8
Rookie

3point0v8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
Hopefully that will be an effect of making it official - they can really narrow down the definition and make it easier enforced.
Old 21 Oct 2011, 20:30 (Ref:2974913)   #12
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
The only real issue we've seen this season concerning this rule is Monza IMO where Schumacher chopped across the braking zone after making his one move on multiple occasions.
How about Vettel at the last start? Moves to push Button onto the grass and then moves back onto the racing line.

I don't see why it's so controversial that, if a driver is part-way alongside you, you do NOT deviate from the racing line. If he is not, you CAN deviate - but you can't go back onto it.
Old 27 Oct 2011, 09:54 (Ref:2977569)   #13
henners88
Veteran

Wales
henners88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14 View Post
How about Vettel at the last start? Moves to push Button onto the grass and then moves back onto the racing line.
I do think that rule needs to be addressed to as starts don't seem to be covered under the regs. I don't think the one move rule needs to be applied to starts, but what Vettel did in Japan was idiotic IMO. We saw similar swerves during 2010, most notably at Silverstone where he tried it on his teammate before losing out big time by swerving into the side of Lewis from the outside. He lost out there because his tyre was destroyed and so was his race. He also tried a similar tactic at Hockenheim with Alonso but again the driver he was trying to intimidate didn't yield which meant Seb had to abort and lost places and time. He's had mostly good starts this season and Japan is the only time I can remember him doing this, but it needs to be addressed by the governing body because its far too aggressive to try and force opponents onto the grass when you haven't made a good start IMO.
Old 28 Oct 2011, 13:44 (Ref:2978215)   #14
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
The trouble with starts is that the field is bunched, and you just can't make a blanket rule that still allows drivers to do what they need to do to avoid shunts when some make good and others make not-so-good starts.
Old 28 Oct 2011, 23:55 (Ref:2978413)   #15
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
I believe a driver should be able to defend his or her position on the track, however how far that goes and how the FIA make a ruling on this is quite complex..

Why is it that we have raced for so many years without this being a problem in the past I wonder?
Old 29 Oct 2011, 00:39 (Ref:2978428)   #16
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
I believe a driver should be able to defend his or her position on the track, however how far that goes and how the FIA make a ruling on this is quite complex..

Why is it that we have raced for so many years without this being a problem in the past I wonder?
But there was a problem in the past...and it's back to haunt us in the present. Or do you not know who Michael Schumacher is.

It's actually because of some of the things that the 'great' drivers got up to in the past (Senna, Prost etc), and some not so great drivers (Eddie Irvine, etc) that we have much tighter regulations on driving etiquette at the present.
Old 29 Oct 2011, 00:43 (Ref:2978430)   #17
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
But there was a problem in the past...and it's back to haunt us in the present. Or do you not know who Michael Schumacher is.

It's actually because of some of the things that the 'great' drivers got up to in the past (Senna, Prost etc), and some not so great drivers (Eddie Irvine, etc) that we have much tighter regulations on driving etiquette at the present.
Who is that then? Yes you have a good point..

I think he has been talking to Sebastian about his starts though...
Old 29 Oct 2011, 06:26 (Ref:2978477)   #18
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well in the old days drivers didn't do it because it could hurt. So why don't we have a system where any contact produces a penalty for all involved, irrespective of fault. That replicates the old situation where all parties suffer. Of course the kind of suffering is different.
Perhaps the type of penalty could be dependent on g-sensors measuring the severity. Or dependent on the speed of the accident. Or maybe the penalty is random and different for all involved, replicating the random outcome in old crashes.
This could be a good deterrent. Risk a dodgy move and you might miss a race. And you have removed the subjective nature of the penalty.
Of course, this falls down if it does result in injury.
Old 30 Oct 2011, 12:01 (Ref:2978931)   #19
Nortad
Rookie

Nortad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry Rene and Gilles, no place for you guys anymore...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl2tIFxSEGA