Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 19 Jun 2015, 15:47 (Ref:3552189)   #51
corporalsparrow
Rookie

corporalsparrow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Jodi and Corporalsparrow; let us know what cars you are racing and the series you are running in. It may encourage others!
I'm in the HSCC/HRSR. In a red Alfa. Usually at the back.
Old 19 Jun 2015, 17:15 (Ref:3552210)   #52
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I've been prattling on here for more than twelve years, everyone knows my opinion. nothings been done about anything we/I moan about, my life has changed immeasurably in those 12 years. I still love my car and driving it like a hooligan, but see an ever decreasing point in doing so.

I don't think its just JR's grumpiness rubbing off on me but the whole games changed from genuine enthusiasts to corporate slags, and downright profiteering, which has little appeal than golf.

At least playing guitars is a paying hobby (and Im better at it!)
Old 22 Jun 2015, 06:19 (Ref:3552909)   #53
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
We're just getting old Joe. We've been around long enough to have seen it all before, like you say things don't change.
Old 22 Jun 2015, 09:06 (Ref:3552947)   #54
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think the way forward is simply to try and do as many events as you can on a lower budget.

If the tofs and wannabeseens are only interested in Goodwood events and the Classic. let them go there.

That type of event has a particular clientele as far as drivers and fans go. I got turned off from it years ago when it became a very expensive event from a spectators pointof view to watch a lot of rich people driving very slowly in expensive cars. I can get that from going to Goodwood thanks.

Historic racing is going to come good, there are going to be categories in the future that will appeal massively to the same people they did years back.

As the forum, as I said originally, unless you ,like WEC or Aussie V8's, the palce is pretty much dead these days
Old 22 Jun 2015, 17:59 (Ref:3553100)   #55
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
Nick JM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=chunder;3552947

If the tofs and wannabeseens are only interested in Goodwood events and the Classic. let them go there.

That type of event has a particular clientele as far as drivers and fans go. I got turned off from it years ago when it became a very expensive event from a spectators pointof view to watch a lot of rich people driving very slowly in expensive cars. I can get that from going to Goodwood thanks.

While I would agree certain events are closed to anyone racing an "ordinary" historic race car I vehemently disagree that Goodwood is anything but slow. I think that is the one place you can go and watch incredibly expensive machinery being raced very hard
Old 22 Jun 2015, 18:55 (Ref:3553118)   #56
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
I think I've just committed a double negative ending up saying exactly the opposite of what I intended....what was my day job again
Old 22 Jun 2015, 19:14 (Ref:3553124)   #57
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was talking about the hillclimb actually, not the Revival, in which I would largey agree with you, though only been once, many years ago.
Old 22 Jun 2015, 19:54 (Ref:3553138)   #58
scott fisher
Rookie

scott fisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
reports

tyrrell 009/1
we are planning to do the classic,
if anybody is interested I would be happy to give a progress report,
regards Scott
Old 22 Jun 2015, 20:11 (Ref:3553141)   #59
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
I was talking about the hillclimb actually, not the Revival, in which I would largey agree with you, though only been once, many years ago.
You mean the Festval of Speed? Again I would question that they are driven slowly. Some maybe but the majority are being belted up there
Old 22 Jun 2015, 21:35 (Ref:3553164)   #60
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This winter I made the concious decision to return to Clubman type racing in the HSCC style.

I have tired of the billionares Kindergarten that some historic series and events are or have become.

Id rather be an honest 9th in a truly competive series than 3rd in something where money limits access over talent.

I nearly chucked historic racing altogether and bought a modern FunCup car last winter.

I still am tempted by Historic Formula Ford.

What swayed it in the end apart from my love of single seater racing is the number of friends that I have in historic racing.
The camaraderie in HFJ is great, for instance

R.E.
Old 23 Jun 2015, 12:07 (Ref:3553307)   #61
one-two
Racer

one-two should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good post and good sentiments Rudolf - and the sport is better for your support. Robert
Old 23 Jun 2015, 13:10 (Ref:3553323)   #62
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Well said Rudolf . But I think it was that Delta tea that might of swayed you . 😜
Old 23 Jun 2015, 13:16 (Ref:3553327)   #63
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott fisher View Post
tyrrell 009/1
regards Scott
I think anyone running an older F1 car must have some interesting stories to recount. It was difficult enough back in the day with a full works around. Must be even more "interesting" now, though of course the schedule is marginally less aggressive for fettling purposes!

Hope you do the report. I for one would be interested.
Old 23 Jun 2015, 13:21 (Ref:3553331)   #64
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott fisher View Post
tyrrell 009/1
regards Scott
Yes please. Like Grant, I would love to hear about the difficulties and pleasure of running an F1 car.
Old 23 Jun 2015, 17:22 (Ref:3553396)   #65
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Well said Rudolf . But I think it was that Delta tea that might of swayed you . ��

you mean the proper builders tea ?

Hazel Hibberd also swings an awesome kettle....

R.
Old 23 Jun 2015, 17:43 (Ref:3553401)   #66
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I agree Rudolph.

We had a great clubbie weekend recently, and am looking forward to Spa in September, I think we're going to try and do the HSCC closed wheel races, good value no doubt and sensible cars.
Old 23 Jun 2015, 18:43 (Ref:3553421)   #67
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
I've been quieter of late than previously - involvement in AROC (where I'm Board member for motorsport , but singularly failing to get much support for the racing with CTCRC ), and a slight hiatus in our plans to resume racing with the Alfa 75 V6 in my avatar, due to carelessly breaking my leg in Tenerife earlier this year - have doubtless had their effect in terms of my ability to comment on much of what has been going on.....

Still like to monitor what's happening, tho - like others, met a few people through here that I'd like to regard as friends, although relatively long-distance ones!
Old 23 Jun 2015, 19:57 (Ref:3553435)   #68
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
I've been quieter of late than previously - involvement in AROC (where I'm Board member for motorsport , but singularly failing to get much support for the racing with CTCRC ), and a slight hiatus in our plans to resume racing with the Alfa 75 V6 in my avatar, due to carelessly breaking my leg in Tenerife earlier this year - have doubtless had their effect in terms of my ability to comment on much of what has been going on.....
!
Hope the leg gets better soon Richard, and that we see you out in the 75.

I'm a bit surprised that a classic Alfa class hasn't taken off, there must be a reasonable number of cars still about. Similarly, I 'm also surprised that there isn't a classic Porsche series as a cheaper alternative to the PCGB series which has now got very expensive as it mandates slicks, and encourages the newer cars.

Maybe the potential entry to such series is split amongst too many places, or maybe people don't want to have to join yet another club and pay yet another series registration fee if they are also racing elsewhere. I wish club motorsport allowed members of other clubs to race with them for just a very small premium.

That said, I don't see too many Alfa 33, Bertone or Alfetta GTV racing elsewhere, or air cooled Porsches for that matter. A great shame.

Wish I still had my 33.
Old 24 Jun 2015, 11:50 (Ref:3553585)   #69
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Hope the leg gets better soon Richard, and that we see you out in the 75.

I'm a bit surprised that a classic Alfa class hasn't taken off, there must be a reasonable number of cars still about. Similarly, I 'm also surprised that there isn't a classic Porsche series as a cheaper alternative to the PCGB series which has now got very expensive as it mandates slicks, and encourages the newer cars.

Maybe the potential entry to such series is split amongst too many places, or maybe people don't want to have to join yet another club and pay yet another series registration fee if they are also racing elsewhere. I wish club motorsport allowed members of other clubs to race with them for just a very small premium.

That said, I don't see too many Alfa 33, Bertone or Alfetta GTV racing elsewhere, or air cooled Porsches for that matter. A great shame.

Wish I still had my 33.
Leg's improving, thanks, Andy - managed a passing resemblance to a bi-ped at our National Alfa Day last Sunday - we've put an entry in for CSCC at Mallory - all I have to do now is pass a medical and get my licence.

I think your other points very valid - competitors spread over many series, and for our guys to race with CTCRC they have to join CTCRC and BARC on top of AROC membership - not much extra per race if you do them all, but a barrier to those hoping to do a selection, although there are "taster" options.
Old 24 Jun 2015, 11:55 (Ref:3553590)   #70
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
I will hopefully see you at Mallory in Future Classics then, Richard. I will be in another front engined transaxle car, possibly in the same class! I assume that yours is a 3 litre V6?
Old 24 Jun 2015, 16:58 (Ref:3553655)   #71
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
I will hopefully see you at Mallory in Future Classics then, Richard. I will be in another front engined transaxle car, possibly in the same class! I assume that yours is a 3 litre V6?
Yep - it'll be interesting to see how it compares to the 944 Turbo we used to run......main concern currently is the brakes - the 944 were great, but the 75 has a long pedal travel - looking to upgrade the master cylinder....

I assume you're still running a Porsche - 924S?
Old 24 Jun 2015, 17:05 (Ref:3553657)   #72
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Yes, still got the scruffy 924S - used to run it in the 1800-2500cc class of Modern Classics but most modern 2 litre cars were way quicker! So I have gone in to Future Classics for this season. Still not really competitive as I'm in the 2 litre to 3 litre class but hopefully there are some up to 2 litre cars to play with and its a great fun, great handling and cheap car to race anyway. Still got the E36 M3 race car for sale if anyone is interested.
Old 24 Jun 2015, 17:15 (Ref:3553662)   #73
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Since the last time I raced was when I celebrated my 60th racing at Brands Hatch GP circuit almost 5 years ago, I suspect you may be a little quicker than me......

I also suspect we may have strayed slightly off topic......but at least we've made the forum a little busier
Old 25 Jun 2015, 07:18 (Ref:3553796)   #74
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Richard you may be interested to know the ctcrc round at Brands will not require club membership and entry refund of £75 if over 20 entries
Old 28 Jun 2015, 05:52 (Ref:3554380)   #75
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Moved the CTCRC/BARC discussion here:-

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...=144606&page=2
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!