Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Mar 2004, 14:15 (Ref:912001)   #1
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why Do They Bother?

After watching the Malaysian qualifications, I have to wonder why Jordan, Minardi and Sauber even bother trying, or even if they belong on the same track with the other teams!

These cars looked flat-out dangerous out there! Under-steering, over-steering, plowing, you name it, and they were doing it. They looked like they were racing on ice, instead of asphalt.

You watch Schummy, Rubens, Webber, Montoya, and you see very little driver input. These cars just carry the speed through the turns, effortlessly. Then watch the lesser teams, and nowhere on the track could they relax, and just drive. There was constant input. Even down the long straights they were skittish and dangerous!

If these teams continue to decline like this, I see no future for them. They are getting worse by the year. I fear that this series has become to much for them, and the day may come, where they are forced out, because they just don't have it. Terrible!

Danica Patrick
Old 20 Mar 2004, 14:24 (Ref:912005)   #2
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ive always wondered how well teams like Minardi would go in lower formulas. But then again, if you can afford to stay in F1 - why not
Old 20 Mar 2004, 14:25 (Ref:912006)   #3
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Well, we should remove that 'racer' part of your name immediately, as it does'nt seem you know what it means.

They are in it because they love it. I have no doubt, finances permitting, many of us would be there as well, and doing an even worse job of it.
Old 20 Mar 2004, 14:39 (Ref:912014)   #4
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
Well, we should remove that 'racer' part of your name immediately, as it does'nt seem you know what it means.

They are in it because they love it. I have no doubt, finances permitting, many of us would be there as well, and doing an even worse job of it.
Wrex, I certainly know what racing is, and what teams like Jordan and Minardi are doing out there, cannot be called racing!

Slow is one thing, but being plain dangerous is another.

Danica Patrick
Old 20 Mar 2004, 14:41 (Ref:912016)   #5
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Hmmm, is it the cars not being Ferrari perfect on the track or coming last that bothers you?
Old 20 Mar 2004, 14:43 (Ref:912019)   #6
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
in all honesty i'd rather watch Minardi, Jordan and Sauber race for places than watch Ferrari vanish into the distance and not be challenged!

p.s. thats not a dig at Ferrari Wrex!!!
Old 20 Mar 2004, 14:43 (Ref:912020)   #7
jj2728
Veteran

jj2728 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:

without a doubt....i'd give a year's wages just to be a gopher for minardi....
Old 20 Mar 2004, 14:49 (Ref:912030)   #8
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by kristof14
in all honesty i'd rather watch Minardi, Jordan and Sauber race for places than watch Ferrari vanish into the distance and not be challenged!

p.s. thats not a dig at Ferrari Wrex!!!
Indeed.

I would love the cameras to focus more on the midfield action than the snoozefest at the front.
Old 20 Mar 2004, 14:51 (Ref:912034)   #9
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Quote:
Hmmm, is it the cars not being Ferrari perfect on the track or coming last that bothers you?
Wrex, nobody is Ferrari perfect...

Did you guys watch the same qualifying as me? These cars were not just slow, they were riding on the edge of disaster all the way.

They are becoming a hazzard out there...

Danica Patrick
Old 20 Mar 2004, 14:53 (Ref:912036)   #10
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Quote:
Indeed.

I would love the cameras to focus more on the midfield action than the snoozefest at the front.
Minardi and Jordan will never see the mid-field. They will however, keep the corner workers busy waving blue flags though...

Danica Patrick
Old 20 Mar 2004, 14:54 (Ref:912038)   #11
kristof14
Veteran

well we're only just getting qualifying over here in the UK and Australia didn't get qualifying at all!
Old 20 Mar 2004, 14:55 (Ref:912042)   #12
kristof14
Veteran

Jordan have already seen Mid-field and won races, there's nothing to say they won't do it again. Minardi may always bring up the rear but i don't think there are many people who would wish them to drop out of F1.
Old 20 Mar 2004, 14:59 (Ref:912047)   #13
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
Did you guys watch the same qualifying as me? These cars were not just slow, they were riding on the edge of disaster all the way.

They are becoming a hazzard out there...
Your being a bit of a drama queen dont you think? 'A hazzard', 'disaster', 'flat-out dangerous'.

So the cars lacked some balance and the drivers had to work, big deal. Is'nt the absence of that what everyone else is complaining about?
Old 20 Mar 2004, 15:02 (Ref:912053)   #14
kristof14
Veteran

Wrex is right, the heyday (sp?) of F1 was when the cars were raced right on the edge with drivers having to work the cars through corners, controlling four wheel drifts. This excitement is definitley missing from F1 at the moment!
Old 20 Mar 2004, 15:07 (Ref:912060)   #15
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:"in all honesty i'd rather watch Minardi, Jordan and Sauber race for places than watch Ferrari vanish into the distance and not be challenged!"

Yeah..me too.. i'd rather watch a battle for places between the tail-enders than see Williams/Mclaren fail to even hang onto Ferrari's tail.

And i believe racing doesn't really mean fast and being-on-rails driving. We're not exactly watching a bullet train in Japan are we?
Old 20 Mar 2004, 15:16 (Ref:912067)   #16
f1atic
Racer

f1atic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are a couple things I find interesting about this philosophy. The biggest is simply that if the one who is nearly always last quits, a race would evently terminate for lack of competitors. The one who wins most often would be the only one left
Old 20 Mar 2004, 15:27 (Ref:912089)   #17
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Quote:
Originally posted by f1atic
There are a couple things I find interesting about this philosophy. The biggest is simply that if the one who is nearly always last quits, a race would evently terminate for lack of competitors. The one who wins most often would be the only one left
Didn't you just start a thread that basically agree's with me, at least about the Jordans? :confused:

Danica Patrick
Old 20 Mar 2004, 15:29 (Ref:912096)   #18
f1atic
Racer

f1atic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought this one is about why bother if you are not competitive. The one I just started about the Jordons is specifically about their problem today in qualifying.
Old 20 Mar 2004, 17:18 (Ref:912331)   #19
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
thats what Bernievision was superb at !...

Mid field scraps are sometimes the best part of F1 racing...
Old 20 Mar 2004, 19:06 (Ref:912552)   #20
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They ARE the best part. No doubt about it!
Old 20 Mar 2004, 19:14 (Ref:912563)   #21
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While the cars are slow i wouldn't go as far to say that their dangerous.
Old 20 Mar 2004, 21:42 (Ref:912792)   #22
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dangerous? Wasn't it the Renault and BAR that spun?

Sure, the Minardi may have been a handful, but you never know. They may turn around a better car next year. You just never know.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 20 Mar 2004, 22:00 (Ref:912814)   #23
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Quote:
Originally posted by golem
Dangerous? Wasn't it the Renault and BAR that spun?

Sure, the Minardi may have been a handful, but you never know. They may turn around a better car next year. You just never know.
At least the Renault and the BAR were carrying some speed, when they spun, and they looked rock-solid up until then. Jordan and Minardi were a full 6-7 seconds off the pace, and they appeared to be barely drivable at that speed.

Next year is a long way off, I'm afraid...

Danica Patrick
Old 20 Mar 2004, 22:15 (Ref:912835)   #24
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So basically you'd like to see Jordan and Minardi leave?

Not really healthy for F1 that, is it?
Old 20 Mar 2004, 22:22 (Ref:912849)   #25
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was just having a bit of fun.

Regardless, they do need a pick me up. The only way that'll happen if Bernievision actually shows us some of the racing we want to see, midfield and tail. Why? Once they start showing it, Minardi and Jordan sponsors may actually feel like they're getting their money's worth.

Until then, it's near impossible for them.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.