Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Who gets Webber's seat.
Bjorn Wirdheim - appears to be a quality pilot, but do JAG need 2 youngsters. 6 9.23%
Coulthard - quality veteran, would he be motivated with what is essentially a demotion 30 46.15%
Villeneuve - former WDC, but could be another Irvine. 3 4.62%
Heidfeld - young, fast and experienced. Question whether he is aggressive enough to be a No.1 8 12.31%
A. Davidson - similiar situation as Wirdheim. 6 9.23%
Other - Please specify 12 18.46%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23 Mar 2004, 21:43 (Ref:917112)   #1
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who gets Webber's seat?

It would look as if BAR will meet Button's performance clauses leaving Webber the No1 choice for williams.
As much as I would like him to stay at JAGUAR, Webber would be wise to take the seat at Williams left by Montoya.
If this does come to fruition who do you think would be a good choice to take Webber's seat at JAG?
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 23 Mar 2004, 23:29 (Ref:917215)   #2
bluebeard
Veteran

England
wirral
bluebeard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
had to vote for 'other' specifically Justin Wilson, dont forget Jag brought him from minardi last season, it seems IMO the only thing he did wrong was not have a big enough wallet to qualify him for the second seat this season
Old 23 Mar 2004, 23:36 (Ref:917219)   #3
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
Aaarghhh! I forgot about Wilson! Definitely a good option!
I personally haven't voted yet! Can't decide.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 23 Mar 2004, 23:51 (Ref:917226)   #4
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd say Coultard...he knows how a top team should run and he may be able to show Jaguar where they are going wrong in some respects...Didn't vote for Jacques cause he'll be at Williams, Renault or Toyota!
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 24 Mar 2004, 04:17 (Ref:917394)   #5
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Coultard and he do a top job to
Old 24 Mar 2004, 04:40 (Ref:917399)   #6
HDTVKSS
Veteran

HDTVKSS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Id say Coultard is a shoe in. Wat about Ralf?

i hope whoever they get can motivate the team like Mark does.
Old 24 Mar 2004, 04:55 (Ref:917406)   #7
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd actually say Wilson or Davidson. Davidson has plenty of testing miles under his belt, and I think Wilson did respectably enough last year to deserve another go. Personally, I'd like to see Webber stay and get a good team mate, build the team up. Webber & Bruni or Wilson @ Jag would be nice for next year.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 24 Mar 2004, 05:51 (Ref:917430)   #8
HDTVKSS
Veteran

HDTVKSS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WEbber can stay as long as hel ikes, but unless Jag find a quadroupling of their budget somwhere, they are never going to be able to compete toe to toe with the big boys.

While he has done alot oftesting miles, is Davidson that good a racer? His outings in the Minardi were hardly flattering. Also, hes said that he wont become a pay driver, while i think Jab will be looking for somone who can bring some fundage with them.

Id like to see Wilson back, that boy has alot of talent, jsut needs the right chance.
Old 24 Mar 2004, 06:37 (Ref:917441)   #9
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If (when!) mark leaves Jag they will be seriously bummed.
They'll be falling over themselves to sign someone well above average-but then so is everyone else.....
Their first port of call will be minardi and jordan -IF there is an obvious tallent there like mark or fernando

They must be really worried about the future
Old 24 Mar 2004, 08:31 (Ref:917536)   #10
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wirdheim. I hope.
Old 24 Mar 2004, 10:42 (Ref:917669)   #11
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Umm, who would want it?

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 24 Mar 2004, 10:59 (Ref:917687)   #12
MRJUCY
Veteran

Australia
At the pub
MRJUCY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd like to see Coulthard get the drive I think they need at least one mature experienced driver to keep building on the momentum they have gained since Mark joined. He also would be another good spokesman for Jaguar & I feel would fit the Jaguar image if he was willing to take the pay cut but really i don't see him as having too many other options elsewhere so he may take it. JV on the other hand is a very talented driver but I don't think he suits the Jaguar style & would be a bit of another Irvine.
Old 24 Mar 2004, 11:07 (Ref:917698)   #13
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I opted for Coulthard although he's in the frame for a Toyota drive as well. I think Jaguar will need an experienced driver in the lineup and Coulthard will fit in quite nicely from a PR perspective too. Heidfeld has the driving ability but doesn't really have the PR advantages - can anyone remember an interview with Nick?

Villeneuve is not an option - I can't see him getting another F1 drive anywhere.

As an aside I thought Irvine did ok at Jag - at the time he was there the team changed boss every other week and the cars were complete disasters - due to major design flaws. Given the equipment he had Irvine did a good job.
Old 24 Mar 2004, 11:27 (Ref:917708)   #14
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I'm convinced that Coulthard will get the Jag seat, it seems the most simple solution to me.

Montoya to McLaren, Coulthard to Jaguar, Webber to Williams.
Old 24 Mar 2004, 11:56 (Ref:917728)   #15
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Coulthard would absolutely fit the bill. Klien has showed enough potential to make him likely to stay on for another year, and DC's corporate savvy, continued speed, development skill, and the advantage of being a British driver in what people see as a British team, would make him ideal.
Old 24 Mar 2004, 12:01 (Ref:917733)   #16
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
Quote:
Originally posted by BertMk2
I opted for Coulthard although he's in the frame for a Toyota drive as well. I think Jaguar will need an experienced driver in the lineup and Coulthard will fit in quite nicely from a PR perspective too. Heidfeld has the driving ability but doesn't really have the PR advantages - can anyone remember an interview with Nick?
As an aside I thought Irvine did ok at Jag - at the time he was there the team changed boss every other week and the cars were complete disasters - due to major design flaws. Given the equipment he had Irvine did a good job.
I think DC would be the best choice as well. A good driver to help a developing team. I have a feeling Ralf will be at Toyota, personally I rate DC over Ralf though. Heidfeld may not be the most outgoing guy, but he is German. Germany being one of JAG's more desirable markets. He is a quality F1 pilot too, however is he good enough to be a No.1?
As for Irvine in the car he was good, but I remember hearing things about his lack of leadership at the shop. Something which Webber brings by the ton.
Old 24 Mar 2004, 12:01 (Ref:917734)   #17
fog_shadow
Racer

fog_shadow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
iff webber does indeed move to williams and halfie is still there, i'd be more interested in seeing webber ***** slap half for that stunt he puuled in sepang this year.
Old 24 Mar 2004, 12:17 (Ref:917747)   #18
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Justin Wilson, and if he can't get it then Anthony Davidson.
Old 24 Mar 2004, 12:20 (Ref:917749)   #19
Burton
Rookie

Burton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DC? He'd just end up as another Irv, there for the money to finish his career
Old 24 Mar 2004, 12:24 (Ref:917754)   #20
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Webber will be at Jag for 2005, thus the real questiuon is who will take his place in 2006.

I haven't a clue. Too many factors will come into play.
Old 24 Mar 2004, 12:29 (Ref:917761)   #21
skyblue
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
skyblue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would appear that Jaguar are hoping that Klein will become No1 material within the year, that would leave them free to take a punt on an outside bet which is why I think they were looking at Townsend Bell, Sarah Kavanagh, etc etc as possible No2's with interesting commercial possibilities.

Personally I don't know if Klein is No1 material yet, maybe you guys know but I haven't seen him enough.

I can't see Jag paying DC or JV to come in and tell them the car needs improving! Which i think they're very likely to do, and walk away with big salaries for telling them something they know already.

If it were me there's no way I'd sign either of them, DC couldn't beat Hakkinen or Kimi and JV struggled with Button.

Maybe they could ask ron for a loan of Hamilton?
Old 24 Mar 2004, 12:40 (Ref:917778)   #22
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hamilton - hadn't thought of that...? He's going to be hot property for '05, that's for sure...maybe Jordan will use him to get Merc power...?
Old 24 Mar 2004, 13:42 (Ref:917911)   #23
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
DC - fits the merry go round well, perfect team player and dream PR fit for Jaguar.
Old 24 Mar 2004, 13:46 (Ref:917918)   #24
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't think we will see Hamilton in an F1 drive until 2006 at the earliest. Euro F3 has become a two year program for many drivers and unless he storms it, I think Lewis will do 2 years there, with some McLaren testing in 2005.

Klein is not going to be team leader material for Jaguar in 2005, they need an old (ish) hand IMO.
Old 24 Mar 2004, 13:52 (Ref:917928)   #25
Tracey
Racer

England
In front of a PC
Tracey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The rumours I hear is Klien is only at Jag until his money runs out, Webber will be at Williams next year, alongside one of their test drivers, but I'm not saying which one.