Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Mar 2004, 23:54 (Ref:918572)   #1
TedN
Racer

Canada
Georgetown, ON, Canada
TedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Villeneuve Involved In Sponsorship Scandal ?

Story Here

Ted

*Title changed - Wrex*
Old 25 Mar 2004, 00:31 (Ref:918593)   #2
swatty
Rookie

swatty should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats when he drove for Williams, I only remember Labatts maple leaf, nothing else

Though I am getting old and I could be wrong
Old 25 Mar 2004, 00:55 (Ref:918601)   #3
TedN
Racer

Canada
Georgetown, ON, Canada
TedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by swatty
Thats when he drove for Williams, I only remember Labatts maple leaf, nothing else

Though I am getting old and I could be wrong
Check HERE . Scroll down to Hungarian GP podium shot.

Ted
Old 25 Mar 2004, 01:01 (Ref:918604)   #4
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I must be getting old too, what the problem?
Old 25 Mar 2004, 01:31 (Ref:918624)   #5
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by TedN
Check HERE . Scroll down to Hungarian GP podium shot.

Ted
Are we talking about the Canadian flag on his belt?
If so, a majority of the drivers wear their flags on their racesuits. I don't know why anybody would want or have to pay him to wear the flag.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 25 Mar 2004, 02:17 (Ref:918653)   #6
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
This story sounds like alot of hot air to me. So a Canadian driver had a Canadian flag on him? Call Ripleys!

Even if he was paid by the Canadian government, so what. We throw words like 'Scandal' around a little too easily these days.
Old 25 Mar 2004, 02:38 (Ref:918661)   #7
speedbump
Racer

Canada
Toronto
speedbump should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with Wrex.
The scandal is the Canadian Government not JV.
Old 25 Mar 2004, 02:56 (Ref:918676)   #8
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
It's not even a scandal!! What about Baumgartner and Yoong?

Ok, Ok, maybe the scandal is that JV can drive well and the local government shouldn't feel sorry for him as Hungary and Malaysia have!!
Old 25 Mar 2004, 03:16 (Ref:918685)   #9
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Yes, I'm missing something here too.
Old 25 Mar 2004, 04:03 (Ref:918706)   #10
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
No, Jacques probably did not do anything wrong. But what you are missing is that the person testified that they paid Jacques $12 million to do it. But the official government records only show they paid him $4500. That's quite a difference, wouldn't you agree?

http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2004/03/24...bedard20040324

This scandal gets worse and worse...

Last edited by Inigo Montoya; 25 Mar 2004 at 04:05.
Old 25 Mar 2004, 04:14 (Ref:918716)   #11
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Well, a title change is in order then.

This is hardly JV's fault. It's made up to sound like Jacques met someone in a dark alley for a briefcase full of cash.
Old 25 Mar 2004, 04:24 (Ref:918725)   #12
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is a Canadian government issue, about a lot more than just flags on race suits. Jacques is a victim of illegal activity by some federal civil servants and a bunch of seedy PR companies in Quebec. A rich victim, but a victim nonetheless.
Old 25 Mar 2004, 06:50 (Ref:918777)   #13
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sounds like a load of nonsense to me.

Every driver in F1 has their national flag on their racing overalls.
Old 25 Mar 2004, 14:07 (Ref:919150)   #14
TedN
Racer

Canada
Georgetown, ON, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
Sounds like a load of nonsense to me.

Every driver in F1 has their national flag on their racing overalls.
I think I misunderstood the story. Apparently the issue at hand is not the Canadian flag but the Canada logo, which is THIS

Ted
Old 25 Mar 2004, 14:37 (Ref:919177)   #15
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by TedN
I think I misunderstood the story. Apparently the issue at hand is not the Canadian flag but the Canada logo, which is THIS

Ted
I don't think I ever saw JV wearing that logo? Can anyone find a pic?
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 25 Mar 2004, 15:02 (Ref:919187)   #16
swatty
Rookie

Seem to recall he and the late Greg Moore wore it in Champ Car but only saw it in F1 at Montreal GP when it's everywhere
Old 25 Mar 2004, 16:48 (Ref:919268)   #17
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Again, noone is accusing Jacques of any wrongdoing. Instead, they are asking why the gov't has a record of only $4500 being given to Jacques, whereas the informant is claiming it was $12 million.
Old 25 Mar 2004, 17:14 (Ref:919281)   #18
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The thread title seems to suggest otherwise, even after being altered.
Old 25 Mar 2004, 17:26 (Ref:919296)   #19
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jacques never wore that. The only icon Jacques ever wore was the Quebec one which could also be seen in Alex Tagliani's Champ Car Lola last year.

The informant that says that Jacques was paid $12m should speak further. Until he does, it's just a rumor, isn't it?
It's like me saying "the Spanish government has paid Alonso 15 million euros" but I am not giving any proof of it...
Old 25 Mar 2004, 19:59 (Ref:919400)   #20
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
The informant is a she, not a he. And when she was asked if the money was over one year, two years, a lump sum, or 5 years, she could not answer.... Hmmmmm.
Old 25 Mar 2004, 20:45 (Ref:919460)   #21
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If there was any wrong doing i don't see what it's got to do with JV, if anyones got a case to answer it would be the Canadian government although i'd want more proof than what the informant has provided.
Old 25 Mar 2004, 21:36 (Ref:919515)   #22
ollie86
Rookie

ollie86 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If I see this properly, then surely displaying the logo is just a sponsorship deal for Jacques, and as he's the one who was being sponsored, then it wasn't up to him to make sure the "sponsors" accounts were correct?

Is this a fair analogy?
Old 25 Mar 2004, 21:38 (Ref:919517)   #23
swatty
Rookie

That about sums it up yes, only way JV can be implicated is if he never wore the canada logo
Old 25 Mar 2004, 22:03 (Ref:919540)   #24
006_007
Racer

006_007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What Vancouver is reporting...

A local Vancouver paper has the following:

http://www.canada.com/vancouver/thep...c-8f95b8038878

Pretty much the same as what the others are saying, they have a picture of JV wearing the Winfield colors with a Maple leaf on his right leg.

Could the press be using JV's name just to get people to read the post? I can not imagine that happening anywhere!

Old 26 Mar 2004, 00:39 (Ref:919694)   #25
TedN
Racer

Canada
Georgetown, ON, Canada
Villeneuve Denial

Ted