Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 27 Mar 2006, 04:33 (Ref:1561919)   #51
drewdawg727
Veteran

United States
New York
drewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddrewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think there is much other that i can say than agree with everyone else who posted.

Personally, i was looking forward to watching Paul Dana blossom and become a great and competitive racer through a good team like Rahal-Letterman.

This is the second time that a driver has passed away prior to a race season in the past couple of years (Tony Renna two years ago). Both of these drivers had high hopes and great talent, and it's sad to see this nightmare happen once again.

RIP Paul
Old 27 Mar 2006, 06:36 (Ref:1561962)   #52
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nothing more to add .....

Just horrible news. My heart goes out to Paul, and my thoughts are with his family, friends and everyone in the IRL, particularly the Rahal-Letterman guys.
Old 27 Mar 2006, 07:25 (Ref:1561996)   #53
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
-
Old 27 Mar 2006, 07:40 (Ref:1562007)   #54
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I was going to say something on the lines that IRL needs to learn from F1 about survivable crashes till I see that awful footage because no matter what he was driving that was just unsurvivable.

There is no denying however that the oval race format and the car hitting the wall in the first place and drifting across the track was 100% responsible for this incident so maybe IRL needs to look at ways to make it safer but short of pulling out of ovals which is not going to happen I cannot see what they can do, maybe some sort of catch fence that will hold the car where it went off but I doubt that is feasable.

Sad day for the sport and his family, condolences from someone who knows the pain.
Old 27 Mar 2006, 08:01 (Ref:1562025)   #55
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
While Carpenter losing control and crashing into the wall obviously was what lead up to the accident, I don't agree it's "100% responsible". This wasn't a case of an oncoming car slamming into a still moving one in the racing line, as happened when Zanardi lost his legs - Carpenter was well down on the apron of the track, and well out of the racing line and near-stationary. Five or six other cars slowed down as soon as the accident happened and had no problem avoiding Carpenter. One car didn't, and unfortunately that is all it takes for tragedy to strike sometimes.

SpeedTV.com has posted an article by Robin Miller where he comments this tragedy, and while the article might sound a bit harsh I have to say that I for the most part agree with it:
Quote:
With all due respect to the deceased and his family, Paul Dana was in over his head; the victim of a system where people have been buying rides at the highest level for more than 25 years.
Full article can be found at the SpeedTV.com website.
Old 27 Mar 2006, 08:22 (Ref:1562042)   #56
Andy Roberts
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Andy Roberts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RIP Paul. My best wishes go to your wife and family at this time.
Old 27 Mar 2006, 09:29 (Ref:1562110)   #57
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan
SpeedTV.com has posted an article by Robin Miller where he comments this tragedy, and while the article might sound a bit harsh I have to say that I for the most part agree with it:Full article can be found at the SpeedTV.com website.
The article is certainly harsh.. I am not sure it is necessarily true.. but it will create waves, which might have been the point all along. In the cold hard light of day the driver met every performance criteria his series required of him to compete in the IRL series. Just as countless others before him had managed.

This is a very very sad day, and a very very mega accident.

I hope Ed Carpenter gets better soon as well, and is able to return to his normal life without restriction.

Condolences to all concerned, the family & friends, and fans alike.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 27 Mar 2006, 09:36 (Ref:1562115)   #58
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
The article is certainly harsh.. I am not sure it is necessarily true.. but it will create waves, which might have been the point all along. In the cold hard light of day the driver met every performance criteria his series required of him to compete in the IRL series. Just as countless others before him had managed.
I agree. From what I have read today, Paul had competed in Barber Dodge, Formula Ford, Formula 3 and 2 years in IPS. He was more experienced than alot of others that have competed in high levels of Open Wheel racing.
Old 27 Mar 2006, 09:54 (Ref:1562133)   #59
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A terrible impact, and a very sad loss. Found out last night, and couldn't believe it; i'm always lost for words in circumstances such as this.

R.I.P Paul Dana.
Old 27 Mar 2006, 10:44 (Ref:1562175)   #60
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If two other cars slowed to avoid the incident and Paul did not, you have to ask questions about whether he was prepared for a competitive drive. When the deal was originally announced few believed that he was. If Paul was aware that a car had crashe, why did he keep going at full speed during a practice session?

RIP Paul though, he was living out his dream, and the similarity to Renna in that he had jsut got a competitive drive is quite shocking.
Old 27 Mar 2006, 11:12 (Ref:1562201)   #61
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
I hope Ed Carpenter gets better soon as well, and is able to return to his normal life without restriction.
I've seen some recent reports suggest Carpenter might be released later today or tomorrow.
Old 27 Mar 2006, 11:42 (Ref:1562232)   #62
sr230772
Racer

sr230772 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i dont think its the right time to question paul danas abilties or the the saftey issues.my thoughts go out to his family
Old 27 Mar 2006, 11:51 (Ref:1562247)   #63
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No it isn't. It was an accident.

rustyfan - I've seen the same. Best wishes to him and also Dana's spotter.
Old 27 Mar 2006, 12:36 (Ref:1562307)   #64
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very well and simply said, sr2..........
Old 27 Mar 2006, 12:38 (Ref:1562310)   #65
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Calabasas Hills, California
Fiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan

SpeedTV.com has posted an article by Robin Miller where he comments this tragedy, and while the article might sound a bit harsh I have to say that I for the most part agree with it:Full article can be found at the SpeedTV.com website.
Robin Miller has no class kicking a dead man. He qualified 9th in the race and finished second in points in the IRL feeder series. What more did he need to do? Other cars slowed, like Sharp, but they were also just getting out of the pits, Dana was already up to speed. Dana recorded a fast lap, Sharp didn't when the crash happened.....

RIP Paul.
Old 27 Mar 2006, 12:42 (Ref:1562312)   #66
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Like many other I'm sure I'll share my opinion about Dana and IRL in general in due course, but having read Miller's article I'm convinced now is not the time to do so.

This was tragic news I couldnt believe hearing yesterday and my thoughts go out to all connected.

It's a bit leftfield but the image that will stay with me for a while is the picture of Danica Patrick with her hands to her face on witnessing the crash. Truly horrific stuff.

RIP Paul

Last edited by Mystery; 27 Mar 2006 at 12:42. Reason: Poor choice of words
Old 27 Mar 2006, 13:01 (Ref:1562330)   #67
Seoigh
Racer

United States
Florida
Seoigh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is certain to cast a dark cloud over the St. Pete Street Race next weekend...already a high stress event for all as the IRL really haven't firgured out Street Racing yet.
Old 27 Mar 2006, 15:02 (Ref:1562389)   #68
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's always a shame when a driver dies.

I agree that there's no class in discussing Dana's merits or the safety aspect. I will say that it seems like Dana did jump through some of the hoops. He was certainly no where close to the least experienced or talented driver to get into a top level OW car.

Given the circumstances, a driver in any kind of car would most likely be dead. The spotter is partially to blame. Some racing series have yellow lights appear on the drivers dash at the same time that any lights go on around the track. Presumably the IRL doesn't have this? I think all series should have it and make it very obvious. Rather than dig in the dirt, why not simply learn something from a tragedy and improve?
Old 27 Mar 2006, 15:18 (Ref:1562396)   #69
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Without defending Miller, I think his article is trying to look at what and why this could have happened. Whether he's right or wrong, he will be criticised for being insensitive.

It was a tragic accident, and that's how it should remain. No-one should be looking to blame anyone - sadly what's happened has happened and that cannot be changed. If lessons can be learned from it, that's one very small positive from an otherwise bleak situation.
Old 27 Mar 2006, 16:03 (Ref:1562435)   #70
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Snrub, the IRL was among the first to have a yellow light on the dashboard, if not THE first.
Old 27 Mar 2006, 16:04 (Ref:1562438)   #71
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The IRL does have the lights you mention Snrub - it may be that some drivers paid attention to them and some did not, with the consequences we've seen. The spotter may not have explicitly told Paul to slow down, but it was a danger situation in a practice session, so it should be common sense to slow down. Paul held a journalism degree, he wasn't an idiot. As for the Danica image, I suspect Buddy Rice and several other male drivers reacted in similar ways.
Old 27 Mar 2006, 16:20 (Ref:1562458)   #72
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
As for the Danica image, I suspect Buddy Rice and several other male drivers reacted in similar ways.
No doubt that's true, but the Danica picture on the ESPN page was the only one I've seen so far, and I have no wish to see more. The fact it was Danica in the pic was irrelevant to me and I am sure you feel much the same. As you rightly point out no doubt anyone witnessing the incident reacted in much the same way.
Old 27 Mar 2006, 16:23 (Ref:1562462)   #73
indycool
Veteran

Just found something that would tend to disprove Miller's harsh comments regarding the accident.
This is a (warning) graphic video, but the last 15 seconds of it in slow motion clearly show that Dana hit two pieces of debris that kick off to the right and his front right tire start wobbling from THAT contact long before impact with Carpenter. It's likely he wasn't even able to steer at that point.

http://www.teamjuicyracing.com/vids/dana1.wmv
Old 27 Mar 2006, 16:37 (Ref:1562469)   #74
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A terrible, tragic accident - but lets not use it as an excuse to beat the IRL. Any race driver can make an error of judgment however experienced they are. How many times have we seen top drivers spin or have accidents under caution? Mr. Schumacher had one at Monaco once while behind a pace car...

For me Miller's comments are both untimely and ill-informed. Dana had more experience and better results than many who have run Indycars - or Formula one for that matter. As for the implication that he should have been 'hard on the brakes'.... Well, simply getting hard on the brakes on a 200mph raceway is almost as likely to cause a big accident as keeping your foot it - you're supposed slow carefully to give everyone else behind you time to react.
Old 27 Mar 2006, 19:09 (Ref:1562583)   #75
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm very saddened by the news. Every racing driver is a hero to me, and I hate to see one leave us.